ADVERTISEMENT

13 clocks were made to strike together

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
John Adams' metaphor for the creation of the United States.

I know everyone know this story, but it deserves repeating. With all the 'thoughts and prayers' ridicule, it would be difficult to deny divine intervention in the creation of our country.

From Historia Obscurum:

On July 4th, 1826, 50 years to the day after the approval of the Declaration of Independence, John Adams sat down in his study at his home, Peacefield, in Massachusetts, to read.
Soon after, his family found him unresponsive and carried him to bed. After a while he stirred, and commented that Thomas Jefferson still survived. Then John Adams died.

But he was wrong.

At his home in Virginia, Jefferson had been in bed, delirious, for a while.

That same morning, he opened his eyes and asked, "Is it the Fourth?" The response was yes. Soon after, Jefferson died, a few hours before his old friend, rival, and fellow revolutionary, John Adams.

Jefferson and Adams had been brought together by revolution, torn apart by party politics, and reconciled by the depth of their ancient bond.

Together they were called the North and South Poles of the American Revolution, and they both died on the same day, exactly 50 years after the Independence for which they strived together was finally declared to the world.

If we're going to go west, we may as well add Hawaii too! :p

The author of the book by that title was on CSPAN yesterday. I didn't get to watch it all, but what I did watch was interesting. You'd probably not like the fact that one of his central thesis' was that race played a major factor in untiling the colonies prior to the Revolution.

The author of the book by that title was on CSPAN yesterday. I didn't get to watch it all, but what I did watch was interesting. You'd probably not like the fact that one of his central thesis' was that race played a major factor in untiling the colonies prior to the Revolution.
I didn't get my quote from a book, but would be interested in reading it.

Of course race played a part in it. The southern states weren't going to join in a Union that outlawed slavery. There was compromise.

The alternative would have been the southern states stay under British rule, because slavery was legal. The northern states would have had to go it alone and would have been more easily defeated.

History isn't always pretty, and no one today condones slavery. Judging actions almost 250 years ago by today's standards is classic Monday morning quarterbacking.

Reactions: 76-1
I didn't get my quote from a book, but would be interested in reading it.

Of course race played a part in it. The southern states weren't going to join in a Union that outlawed slavery. There was compromise.

The alternative would have been the southern states stay under British rule, because slavery was legal. The northern states would have had to go it alone and would have been more easily defeated.

History isn't always pretty, and no one today condones slavery. Judging actions almost 250 years ago by today's standards is classic Monday morning quarterbacking.

If you haven't read John Adams by David McCullough, then you are missing out. The HBO series was also excellent, and I usually watch it every July.

Understanding that our forefathers heavily disagreed on almost everything, and many deeply questioned elements of our constitution- even in hindsight, years later- is important to always keep in mind.

Basically the only consensus was Independence.... and that even was not unanimous

Last edited:
Understanding that our forefathers heavily disagreed on almost everything, and many deeply questioned elements of our constitution- even in hindsight, years later- is important to always keep in mind.
That is so true. I read The Making of the Constitution (or something like that) and I don't remember who it was written by but like you said there was some real infighting. There were two main groups the best that I remember. One wanted strong federal government and weaker state governments and the other wanted strong state governments and a weaker federal government.

That is so true. I read The Making of the Constitution (or something like that) and I don't remember who it was written by but like you said there was some real infighting. There were two main groups the best that I remember. One wanted strong federal government and weaker state governments and the other wanted strong state governments and a weaker federal government.
Just admit it...you watched "Hamilton".
:D

Reactions: UncleMark
No I haven't watched that... I've heard it mentioned on here but have no idea what it's even about. Have you watched it?

I watched a bit of it but I don't enjoy musicals. The kids loved it though.

I will say the you'll be back song is worth listening to...that was hilarious

• Sad
Reactions: Lucy01

I know everyone know this story, but it deserves repeating. With all the 'thoughts and prayers' ridicule, it would be difficult to deny divine intervention in the creation of our country.

From Historia Obscurum:

On July 4th, 1826, 50 years to the day after the approval of the Declaration of Independence, John Adams sat down in his study at his home, Peacefield, in Massachusetts, to read.
Soon after, his family found him unresponsive and carried him to bed. After a while he stirred, and commented that Thomas Jefferson still survived. Then John Adams died.

But he was wrong.

At his home in Virginia, Jefferson had been in bed, delirious, for a while.

That same morning, he opened his eyes and asked, "Is it the Fourth?" The response was yes. Soon after, Jefferson died, a few hours before his old friend, rival, and fellow revolutionary, John Adams.

Jefferson and Adams had been brought together by revolution, torn apart by party politics, and reconciled by the depth of their ancient bond.

Together they were called the North and South Poles of the American Revolution, and they both died on the same day, exactly 50 years after the Independence for which they strived together was finally declared to the world.
Interesting.....

On July 4, 1776, the ages of some people who did something..;

James Monroe, 18
John Marshall, 20
Alexander Hamilton, 21
Nathan Hale, 21
James Madison, 25
Thomas Jefferson, 33
John Hancock, 39
John Adams, 40
Paul Revere, 41
George Washington, 44

Who can point out a common fact uniting these American Icons?

Reactions: Spartans9312
If you want to see a musical adapted for the silver screen that's not technically historically correct in every minutiae but presents a fine overview of the political fractures of the time and how incredible it was that the 13 colonies were able to come to an agreement on literally anything then "1776" is your film...

If you wish to cut straight to the heart of the matter and skip all of the filling out of the characters stuff, fast forward to July 2nd and view from there... At minimum, don't miss Rutledges (South Carolina delegate) depressing song about the symbiotic trade in molasses, rum, and slaves between northern ship owners and southern planters and Franklins later retort to Adams in an attempt to have him focus on the bigger picture to just get the thing thru... Very timely given that these men have been recently vilified using today's standards...

You have to be willing to stick with it thru some below average singing and quirky filler if you decide to watch the entire thing but the wrap up of the final two days is worth the effort...

To me at least, the fact that the Declaration was ever even written, much less agreed to (and yeah, I know the signing didn't take place in the manner the play/movie suggests in its dramatic finale) is another "hand of the Lord" moment in our history that's difficult to ignore...

If you haven't read John Adams by David McCullough, then you are missing out. The HBO series was also excellent, and I usually watch it every July.

Basically the only consensus was Independence.... and that even was not unanimous
Read the book and have seen the movie - both excellent and should be required reading/watching for every HS student.

Interesting.....

On July 4, 1776, the ages of some people who did something..;

James Monroe, 18
John Marshall, 20
Alexander Hamilton, 21
Nathan Hale, 21
James Madison, 25
Thomas Jefferson, 33
John Hancock, 39
John Adams, 40
Paul Revere, 41
George Washington, 44

Who can point out a common fact uniting these American Icons?
They all have buildings, counties, or silverware named after them.

If you want to see a musical adapted for the silver screen that's not technically historically correct in every minutiae but presents a fine overview of the political fractures of the time and how incredible it was that the 13 colonies were able to come to an agreement on literally anything then "1776" is your film...

If you wish to cut straight to the heart of the matter and skip all of the filling out of the characters stuff, fast forward to July 2nd and view from there... At minimum, don't miss Rutledges (South Carolina delegate) depressing song about the symbiotic trade in molasses, rum, and slaves between northern ship owners and southern planters and Franklins later retort to Adams in an attempt to have him focus on the bigger picture to just get the thing thru... Very timely given that these men have been recently vilified using today's standards...

You have to be willing to stick with it thru some below average singing and quirky filler if you decide to watch the entire thing but the wrap up of the final two days is worth the effort...

To me at least, the fact that the Declaration was ever even written, much less agreed to (and yeah, I know the signing didn't take place in the manner the play/movie suggests in its dramatic finale) is another "hand of the Lord" moment in our history that's difficult to ignore...
I saw the 1776 play at Purdue. Ugh.

Every facet of history is muddy. Only 80 years ago we were allied with the Russians. Ignoring or rewriting history is ridiculous at best

A favorite author. Wrote the books "Truman", Teddy Roosevelt (Mornings on Horseback) and the Wright Brothers plus other historical events.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT