ADVERTISEMENT

“What Everyone Gets Wrong About Kushner’s Clearance Fiasco”

So what "everyone gets wrong" is that (1) everyone thinks Kushner needs a security clearance to legally view classified information--he doesn't; and (2) everybody doesn't know that without the security clearance Kushner can't legally discuss classified information with others without the explicit permission of the President. Is that a fair summary?

So what "everyone gets wrong" is that (1) everyone thinks Kushner needs a security clearance to legally view classified information--he doesn't; and (2) everybody doesn't know that without the security clearance Kushner can't legally discuss classified information with others without the explicit permission of the President. Is that a fair summary?
Those are a couple things. Also reporting he lost his clearance is wrong. His interim clearance was downgraded from TS/SCI to S. People get the entire process wrong too.

I’ve periodically explained the details about security clearances. I’ve run across this article and the author does an excellent job of doing it and explaining what people, including journalists, get wrong. I haven’t found any errors of note, so if you’re interested in it you can read it.
Jared Kushner’s Security Clearance Is Now A Step Below ‘White House Calligrapher’

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ouse-calligrapher_us_5a98ddaae4b089ec3538bdb4

Crazy stuff.

I faintly remember having a discussion with both you and @MrBing months or a year ago, when some earlier stories broke about why he was pending, bla bla bla. You two didnt think there was anything unusual necessarily. Turns out there was way more to the story then any of us realized. This is arguably the most corrupt administration in American history. I would say its #1, except for the fact that I'm not an American historian.

I cant imagine anyone voting for a 3rd party in 2020 :D:p

I faintly remember having a discussion with both you and @MrBing months or a year ago, when some earlier stories broke about why he was pending, bla bla bla. You two didnt think there was anything unusual necessarily. Turns out there was way more to the story then any of us realized. This is arguably the most corrupt administration in American history. I would say its #1, except for the fact that I'm not an American historian.

I cant imagine anyone voting for a 3rd party in 2020 :D:p
It was about the process. There wasn’t anything unusual about the process, and there wasn’t. There is much unusual about the President and many of his people, unfortunately.

Reactions: MrBing
It was about the process. There wasn’t anything unusual about the process, and there wasn’t. There is much unusual about the President and many of his people, unfortunately.
I was hoping you would jump in here. I understand you to be saying that the new information here is either not really new or not really significant. Is that right?

Yet this report says the process was anything but usual. That the overruling of career security personnel by political appointees was unprecedented, at least in number.

I was hoping you would jump in here. I understand you to be saying that the new information here is either not really new or not really significant. Is that right?
No, I didn’t say that. This new information reveals that the final resolution about several clearances (supervisor overruling 30 negative clearance recommendations) was very unusual.

No, I didn’t say that. This new information reveals that the final resolution about several clearances (supervisor overruling 30 negative clearance recommendations) was very unusual.
I know what the information is and I know that it is highly unusual. What I don't understand is its significance. Presumably supervisors in all administrations overrule negative clearance recommendations from time to time. Let me tell the story as CoH might. Trump came into office facing a near rebellion from a highly partisan "deep state" including people in the FBI and intelligence community. These partisans were using an unfair and unprofessional lens to evaluate Trump's people and so the supervisor was forced to overrule them much more often than in previous administrations. CoH might say that if there is any significance to this at all the significance is the revelation of the depth of partisan treachery by disgruntled establishment types.

I know what the information is and I know that it is highly unusual. What I don't understand is its significance. Presumably supervisors in all administrations overrule negative clearance recommendations from time to time. Let me tell the story as CoH might. Trump came into office facing a near rebellion from a highly partisan "deep state" including people in the FBI and intelligence community. These partisans were using an unfair and unprofessional lens to evaluate Trump's people and so the supervisor was forced to overrule them much more often than in previous administrations. CoH might say that if there is any significance to this at all the significance is the revelation of the depth of partisan treachery by disgruntled establishment types.
nuance
context
etc

It's possible they have, but I haven't heard of it. It's possible no one ever delved into it to find out. If it was this common than it makes this not so unusual. However, I doubt that it was common so until I see something that tells us it was common, I'll think this is highly unusual.

Reactions: iu_a_att
So you say this is unprecedented. Aloha says it is highly unusual. Neither of you tell me how concerned you are or why? What specifically are you worried about?
Here is an updated report from CNN although it doesn't provide anything beyond the initial reports. https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/politics/jared-kushner-security-clearance-overruled/index.html
It does say that the overruling was "unprecedented" but also that it has happened once before in the previous three years which would include the Obama administration.
The processes and procedures are there to protect national security and sensitive information from foreign powers. I get that. Ranger calls this "treasonous" which is extremely strong language from him.

Maybe the problem I am having is that I have believed Trump is essentially a Russian asset since 2016 and that Kushner is in on the leveraging of American power to create enormous private profit and power for Trump and his family. Given my level of preexisting alarm this new information doesn't move my needle much. What I am trying to figure out is the extent to which this moves the needle for Ranger, Aloha and Mr. Bing.

Reactions: sglowrider
So you say this is unprecedented. Aloha says it is highly unusual. Neither of you tell me how concerned you are or why? What specifically are you worried about?
I’m concerned. Am I full panic mode? No. But I’m concerned. Some of it has to do with foreign influence but most of it has to do with sheer incompetence and hubris.

I’m concerned. Am I full panic mode? No. But I’m concerned. Some of it has to do with foreign influence but most of it has to do with sheer incompetence and hubris.
Thanks for this. Since my needle is all the over into the red for a long time now it is helpful to know whether other people's needles are moving or not. You and Aloha are valuable sources of information for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT