ADVERTISEMENT

‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill - Florida

Thoughts? Signed off by DeSantis. I have an opinion but I’d like to hear yours.

I just skimmed the bill. I'm okay with it. Vague tho. Typically not a fan of gov overreach into local but the crux of it is keeping parents apprised. The latter of the bill pertains to gender id and I can't think of an occasion that should be a part of a kids' school education at that young of an age. It's amazing to me that we've come to the point where this is even a thing to be debated, but I will always side on keeping parents more informed than less.

Maybe it'll have a prophylactic effect

Last edited:

I've not studied it in detail, but it seems the part about "age appropriate" being an issue. I could forsee cases where a 9th grade class (for example) is discussing homosexuality or gender. Some parent may object and bring about a frivolous lawsuit??

What about gay teachers or gay families? Will every day conversations lead to someone getting offended and bring a lawsuit.

Seems like a law in search of a problem that really doesn't exist. I don't think kids being indoctrinated to the gay lifestyle is a big issue. More cancel culture from the right.

Are K-3 kids actually being "indoctrinated" about LGBT stuff? I'd be surprised if that's actually the case. And I get that if they were it probably is out of place. So it's a nothingburger for me. But it's also a slippery slope... if this kind of nonsense can be implemented at this level, where does it stop. And nonsense it is. This is really about stoking the Pub base.

I've not studied it in detail, but it seems the part about "age appropriate" being an issue. I could forsee cases where a 9th grade class (for example) is discussing homosexuality or gender. Some parent may object and bring about a frivolous lawsuit??

What about gay teachers or gay families? Will every day conversations lead to someone getting offended and bring a lawsuit.

Seems like a law in search of a problem that really doesn't exist. I don't think kids being indoctrinated to the gay lifestyle is a big issue. More cancel culture from the right.
The articles say K through third, which I'm good with, but I didn't see that in the bill. The lawsuits are only dec actions

Reactions: BCCHoosier

What about a math problem that says Aiden’s parents are David and Joe?

Are K-3 kids actually being "indoctrinated" about LGBT stuff? I'd be surprised if that's actually the case. And I get that if they were it probably is out of place. So it's a nothingburger for me. But it's also a slippery slope... if this kind of nonsense can be implemented at this level, where does it stop. And nonsense it is. This is really about stoking the Pub base.

The bill is popular because stuff like this

happens more than you think. People are sick of this shit. Not conservatives, not Republicans, people.

We live in Florida and have never heard of any kind of indoctrination by teachers here. Again , there will b frivolous lawsuits because some whacked out bible thumper thinks any sort of talk about sex of any kind inevitably leads their child astray even as that child is already having sex. I’m not talking k-3 children. I’m talking high school. I know I was having sex in high school and my friends were envious. Of course that was back in the Stone Age. Same thing as that devil music rock and roll. Leads to sex.

Sounds like a legit poll. Thanks for the Tik Tok links!
Shorter clover, I can't refute anything posted so I will try and delegitimize the source. Videos linked and poll that you can look up is provided.

Please feel free to use your skills as a statistician to debunk the results of the poll.

"It came froma Twitter handle called Libs of Tik Tok so they are obviously biased..." Yep, they are totally against all this weird ass shit for kids. Videos linked. They make those up? Care to address ****ing up kids with this gender confusion crap when they are toddlers? That is clearly what is being discussed in the videos but you ****ing cowards never want to address that shit. "Well Vice did not post it so I can't trust my own eyes and ears on what is very clearly right in front of my ****ing face." Never happens though right? Teachers and schools aren't pushing this on kids like they aren't pushing the Ibram Kendi anti-racism, CRT adjacent stuff either. I mean, we can pull out links to shit like that to show it and you all will always come up with some lame ass excuse to dismiss it because you cannot defend it. The only defense is "well that is not happening" because the majority of people do not support this garbage.

Reactions: DANC
Few years back when I was still in Bloomington the MCCSC started a new program in which all pupils had to be given some sort of education on tolerance of sexual identity at the beginning of the school year. I forget what grades this applied to. If it happens in the peoples Republic of Bloomington it can happen in liberal parts of Florida.

I don't think kids being indoctrinated to the gay lifestyle is a big issue

It's somewhat back to the genetic vs. environmental argument. If homosexuality is 100% genetic, then it shouldn't matter. If it isn't, then there is probably some merit to the idea, for humanity's sake.

Reactions: jet812

It's a poorly written bill on a couple of counts. Although I sympathize with McM's desire to defend parents' rights, sometimes student rights and parent rights are at odds, and schools become the best available advocates for students, and this law could make that difficult. I'm particularly concerned about the section on health questionnaires. And a lot of the language is dangerously vague. A lot of Florida lawyers are going to earn some fees off this language over the next few years.

That said, I don't think it's quite the right-wing reactionary medieval act that some worry it might be. I suspect the negative effects will be small and localized. The main worry for me is that the small number of students negatively affected may be affected to a great (detrimental) extent.

Shorter clover, I can't refute anything posted so I will try and delegitimize the source. Videos linked and poll that you can look up is provided.

Please feel free to use your skills as a statistician to debunk the results of the poll.

"It came froma Twitter handle called Libs of Tik Tok so they are obviously biased..." Yep, they are totally against all this weird ass shit for kids. Videos linked. They make those up? Care to address ****ing up kids with this gender confusion crap when they are toddlers? That is clearly what is being discussed in the videos but you ****ing cowards never want to address that shit. "Well Vice did not post it so I can't trust my own eyes and ears on what is very clearly right in front of my ****ing face." Never happens though right? Teachers and schools aren't pushing this on kids like they aren't pushing the Ibram Kendi anti-racism, CRT adjacent stuff either. I mean, we can pull out links to shit like that to show it and you all will always come up with some lame ass excuse to dismiss it because you cannot defend it. The only defense is "well that is not happening" because the majority of people do not support this garbage.
I do work with stats and data.. and took a quick look at the stats poll. I’ll check back tomorrow because my wife says it’s time to watch season 2 of Bridgerton.

And, again, thanks for the Tik Tok links from Tik Tok.

It's a poorly written bill on a couple of counts. Although I sympathize with McM's desire to defend parents' rights, sometimes student rights and parent rights are at odds, and schools become the best available advocates for students, and this law could make that difficult. I'm particularly concerned about the section on health questionnaires. And a lot of the language is dangerously vague. A lot of Florida lawyers are going to earn some fees off this language over the next few years.

That said, I don't think it's quite the right-wing reactionary medieval act that some worry it might be. I suspect the negative effects will be small and localized. The main worry for me is that the small number of students negatively affected may be affected to a great (detrimental) extent.
The poorly written parts are what's most problematic.

This is what you get when activist legislators - even well-intentioned - try to turn their crusade into legalese. Always going to be problems. Hopefully the courts can sort it out over the next few years.
As long as attorneys fees are part of the stat lawyers will try their luck. Cases don't cost anything

MCCSC

Along with the policy updates, DeMuth said, gender neutral bathrooms will be made available to students and faculty who request them, and administrators and faculty will be expected to address students by their preferred gender. For instance, if a student is biologically male but prefers to be called “she,” teachers will accommodate her.

The Monroe County Community School Corporation looked to an expert definition from the Human Rights Campaign for guidance, said Superintendent Judy DeMuth. "The HRC definition of 'gender identity” explains that the term 'refers to a person's innate, deeply felt psychological identification as a man, woman or some other gender, which may or may not correspond to the sex assigned to them at birth (e.g., the sex listed on their birth certificate)."

==================

So this is what’s happening in Bloomington. The question is, would this Florida law make it illegal for a teacher in K-3 to refer to a trans girl as she? For example.

MCCSC

Along with the policy updates, DeMuth said, gender neutral bathrooms will be made available to students and faculty who request them, and administrators and faculty will be expected to address students by their preferred gender. For instance, if a student is biologically male but prefers to be called “she,” teachers will accommodate her.

The Monroe County Community School Corporation looked to an expert definition from the Human Rights Campaign for guidance, said Superintendent Judy DeMuth. "The HRC definition of 'gender identity” explains that the term 'refers to a person's innate, deeply felt psychological identification as a man, woman or some other gender, which may or may not correspond to the sex assigned to them at birth (e.g., the sex listed on their birth certificate)."

==================

So this is what’s happening in Bloomington. The question is, would this Florida law make it illegal for a teacher in K-3 to refer to a trans girl as she? For example.
My quick read is that no, it would not, but I could have missed something.

because we need people to reproduce, ideally naturally
With the liberals aborting all their babies and adopting innumerable genders and conservatives conscientiously doubling their efforts to reproduce, natural selection should solve the problem. Get to work, Mr. Balls.

Live here in the heart of conservative Florida. Never heard of any indoctrination of any kind regarding sexuality in young children. I’ve never heard any news report saying libs r in favor of teaching anything of a sexual nature to anyone in grade school. I’m conservative and have an adult gay son. He’s in his mid 30’s. He was an absolute mess after high school because he was still in the closet because of small town bigotry toward his orientation. Once he came out he lost nearly all of his so called male friends from high school. No one will ever convince us sexual orientation is not genetic. He was raised in a normal mother and father family Christian home. He pretended to b straight and was a mess. Came out and completely different person. Very successful in the health care industry. R feeling is that God will sort it out in the end. Not making a political statement here but I don’t really c a problem with teaching kids of any age to b accepting of everyone and that means helping them to understand that being racist is absolutely wrong. Kids r not born racist they learn it. Not really sorry if anyone is offended that we believe that teaching kids not to b racist is a good thing.

MCCSC

==================

Tough question to b sure. Hard to imagine a K-3 child even understanding gender identity. I do know that there r peer reviewed studies that show that kids can and sometimes do suffer severe psychological damage when their sexual orientation is denied by teachers and peers. I agree that this is mostly a law in search of a problem.

Reactions: largemouth
So just ship some of those people over here where we can use them.

tenor.gif

im speaking to the US. Too many welfare state dependents to allow population decline here. Other places have far worse overpopulation
Please explain the welfare state dependent portion of your post. I’m confused and not too bright

Hard to imagine a K-3 child even understanding gender identity.
I “seduced“ the girl next door when I was four years old. We both totally knew our gender identity which happened to be traditional male female.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT