ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-MAGA Conservative roundtable

2016 is a far cry from today. we have the benefit of time passing and seeing how he behaves. DeSantis is way smarter than all of them combined. I like saying the wokesters are a cult. Because they are a cult. But the posters on here who refer to trumpsters as a cult I believe are wrong. trumpism really isn't a cult. it's a cult of ideology no different than that of the wokesters. Desantis is the new torchbearer. trump isn't needed to carry it on. Same rhetoric. Same divisiveness. Same social justice retaliatory stances. same covid responses. tell me an issue, any issue, and i can tell you exactly where Desantis will come down on it. it's in the same ideological cult playbook as trump. this will become clearer and clearer as the months go on. the same folks who loved trump will jump like fleas to desantis
So, let me see if I'm reading you correctly:

* Wokesters are a cult because they are a cult.

* People who say Trumpsters are a cult are wrong because Trumpism isn't a cult.

* Instead, Trumpism is a "cult of ideology no different than that of the wokesters".

* So, the wokesters are a cult, but trumpsters aren't.

That about right? :oops:

Reactions: larsIU
So, let me see if I'm reading you correctly:

* Wokesters are a cult because they are a cult.

* People who say Trumpsters are a cult are wrong because Trumpism isn't a cult.

* Instead, Trumpism is a "cult of ideology no different than that of the wokesters".

* So, the wokesters are a cult, but trumpsters aren't.

That about right?
Trumpism isn't accurate imo. You could arguably say MAGA is the cult. Or whatever it is that Trump was able to tap into, that set of values, mores, and other trappings that to stereotype "you know one when you see one" is the actual "cult." So that sadly, when Trump rides off into the wilderness, that cult won't be gone. It won't die with him. It'll just be waiting for the next torchbearer to pick it up. It's not the leader that's indispensable; it's the values, mores, and other trappings. And none of it matters. It's only an opinion. But I don't think it's Trump for most; it's what I said. It's also why many of the Q type were Bernie Sanders followers.

But I don't think it's Trump for most; it's what I said.
Which one you said? The one where you said Trumpism was a "cult of ideology no different than that of the wokesters" or the one where you said it's not? You led with that you like to say wokesters are a cult because they are, so this point has been sort of hard to track.

Oh wait...it's well past happy hour St. Louis time. My bad. I'll catch up in about two hours and it will all make sense. 🍻

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Which one you said? The one where you said Trumpism was a "cult of ideology no different than that of the wokesters" or the one where you said it's not? You led with that you like to say wokesters are a cult because they are, so this point has been sort of hard to track.

Oh wait...it's well past happy hour St. Louis time. My bad. I'll catch up in about two hours and it will all make sense. 🍻
"Trumpism" - the verbiage is getting you confused. and i've not been clear. we can eliminate the word trump or trumpism and call it a sect of the conservative party. This is from a lefty publication and long and I don't agree with a lot of what's written but it does a nice job of getting at my central point re the cult around Trump that isn't actually about Trump and has been around before Trump and will be when he's gone. The wokesters and the adherents of this conservative cult share a lot traits, albeit polar. Together they are doing terrible things to the country

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Trumpism isn't accurate imo. You could arguably say MAGA is the cult. Or whatever it is that Trump was able to tap into, that set of values, mores, and other trappings that to stereotype "you know one when you see one" is the actual "cult." So that sadly, when Trump rides off into the wilderness, that cult won't be gone. It won't die with him. It'll just be waiting for the next torchbearer to pick it up. It's not the leader that's indispensable; it's the values, mores, and other trappings. And none of it matters. It's only an opinion. But I don't think it's Trump for most; it's what I said. It's also why many of the Q type were Bernie Sanders followers.
Why sadly? It seems those values worked pretty well when Trump was President.

Why sadly? It seems those values worked pretty well when Trump was President.
Because both cults represent extremes. I think many of the policies were in spite of or ancillary to the negative values of the cult. In some ways, and I think there's more to it, one cult wants to ignore or even subjugate certain peoples/identities while the other wants to make them the thrust behind everything

Because both cults represent extremes. I think many of the policies were in spite of or ancillary to the negative values of the cult. In some ways, and I think there's more to it, one cult wants to ignore or even subjugate certain peoples/identities while the other wants to make them the thrust behind everything
What is extreme about Trump or whatever you think that cult is?

If you think it's about subjugating certain people, you're completely wrong. Trump did more to help working minorities than any President since Lincoln.

Don't believe the media bullshit and look at the facts.

What is extreme about Trump or whatever you think that cult is?

If you think it's about subjugating certain people, you're completely wrong. Trump did more to help working minorities than any President since Lincoln.

Don't believe the media bullshit and look at the facts.
That's trump. Trump's not the cult

Read the article
C'mon, Murt, that article is 2 years old and is another hit piece.

I can agree that the ideology is not built on Trump the person, but can't agree that the ideology is radical or extreme. It's rooted in traditional values and common sense - much like the Tea Party.

C'mon, Murt, that article is 2 years old and is another hit piece.

I can agree that the ideology is not built on Trump the person, but can't agree that the ideology is radical or extreme. It's rooted in traditional values and common sense - much like the Tea Party.
There's naturally overlap because everything involves a multitude of issues. But the white nationalism that's prevalent in the far right, and the ideologies set forth in the article are in keeping with the cult ideology. Your point supports how it's not just about trump. And the fact that it's from 2 years ago is immaterial. It predates trump. Anyway. It's too much for a quick hit forum and I'm watching stranger things and not going to flesh it all out now

There's naturally overlap because everything involves a multitude of issues. But the white nationalism that's prevalent in the far right, and the ideologies set forth in the article are in keeping with the cult ideology. Your point supports how it's not just about trump. And the fact that it's from 2 years ago is immaterial. It predates trump. Anyway. It's too much for a quick hit forum and I'm watching stranger things and not going to flesh it all out now
There are militant fringes in every group. It's not fair to point out the 'far right' without mentioning the racism of the far left, which is out to get whitey.

There are militant fringes in every group. It's not fair to point out the 'far right' without mentioning the racism of the far left, which is out to get whitey.
We have two extremes that are harming America.

Reactions: DANC
I agree. If Trump wants the nomination, he'll get it. The others are young enough to wait and a serious primary fight against Trump would 86 any Republican chances of winning in 2024.
I don't agree, political campaigns are more about timing than anything else. It's easy to say DeSantis could wait it out until 2028, but we don't even know if he'll have the same momentum come 2024 much less 2028. Assuming he wins this fall, what if he loses in 2026? What if the Democrats get their shit together and run some Obama-like political powerhouse in 2028 instead of the horse food DeSantis would be likely to face in 2024? That's a a major blow to any campaign hopes.

He's perfectly captured the current zeitgeist, 2024 is his time to strike.

Last edited:
I don't agree, political campaigns are more about timing than anything else. It's easy to say DeSantis could wait it out until 2028, but we don't even know if he'll have the same momentum come 2024 much less 2028. Assuming he wins this fall, what if he loses in 2026? That's a a major blow to any campaign hopes.

He's perfectly captured the current zeitgeist, 2024 is his time to strike.
If he wins in 2022 and runs for Prez in 2028, I doubt he runs for Gov in 2026.

Of course nothing is guaranteed. Trump would be President if the Wuhan Flu hadn't come along. But, looking at things this minute, Trump is not going to be seriously challenged if he decides to run. And if Desantis were to run against him in the Primary, it would split the party and guarantee neither one would win in 2024. Desantis knows this.

If Trump doesn't run, I think Desantis wins in a landslide.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Almost half of Republicans believe Trump won in 2020. The Big Lie is what's doing real harm to America.
Do I need to put you on ignore? The Big Lie is what's doing real harm to America? Really? Not violent crime in every city? Not gas prices? Not grocery prices? Not a thousand and one other things? I just read this morning about two companies that have been in existence over 50 years here that are closing shop given current conditions. But to you It's the Big Lie. What a Fing moron you are. November will be an absolute bloodbath.

Last edited:
If he wins in 2022 and runs for Prez in 2028, I doubt he runs for Gov in 2026.

Of course nothing is guaranteed. Trump would be President if the Wuhan Flu hadn't come along. But, looking at things this minute, Trump is not going to be seriously challenged if he decides to run. And if Desantis were to run against him in the Primary, it would split the party and guarantee neither one would win in 2024. Desantis knows this.

If Trump doesn't run, I think Desantis wins in a landslide.
I don't take it for granted that Trump would win or that a contested primary would spell doom in the general. It's just a matter of whether DeSantis has the balls. Kemp just molly whopped Perdue. In head to head polling DeSantis is surging. He would need a small field to consolidate the anti-trump GOP vote, but he could do it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Do I need to put you on ignore? The Big Lie is what's doing real harm to America? Really? Not violent crime in every city? Not gas prices? Not grocery prices? Not a thousand and one other things? I just read this morning about two companies that have been in existence over 50 years here that are closing shop given current conditions. But to you It's the Big Lie. What a Fing moron you are.
I think you realize how close we were to losing our Democracy on 1/6, right? Democracy was hanging by a thread!

Trump was on the verge of declaring martial law - after all, he authorized 20,000 National Guardsman to be present on 1/6. Thank God the Capitol Police and Nancy Pelosi didn't call them up to be there. I'm sure they would have turned their guns on all Democrats.

1/6 is up there with the Revolution and the Civil War - you have no idea how close we were to having our entire country go up in smoke.

Thank God Brandon is in charge to bring us all back together.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Trump and DeSantis will discuss who is going to run in person. It will be one of the other, not both.

Trump would welcome such a discussion only if he had leverage to force DeSantis to step aside.

Another Trump tactic would be to surprise DeSantis by bringing in cameras and berating him publicly.

I think you realize how close we were to losing out Democracy on 1/6, right? Democracy was hanging by a thread!

Trump was on the verge of declaring martial law - after all, he authorized 20,000 National Guardsman to be present on 1/6. Thanks God the Capitol Police and Nancy Pelosi didn't call them up to be there. I'm sure they would have turned their guns on all Democrats.

1/6 is up there with the Revolution and the Civil War - you have no idea how close we were to having our entire country go up in smoke.

Thank God Brandon is in charge to bring us all back together.
How tiny would your brain have to be with all the shit facing America right now to think it's The Big LIe that's doing America real harm

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Exhibit A.
Who give a F. He's posting on a basketball forum. That belief doesn't impact crime; doesn't impact inflation; doesn't impact any of the things making life really hard for every day people. It impacts Cheney and Kinzinger and the vendetta crowd in Washington living in a bubble and the 350,000 viewers glued to cnn for their evening brainwashing. A poll from Pew was posted by JDB or someone yesterday contrasting what media like CNN care about versus what actual people care about. I know where you fit.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Do I need to put you on ignore? The Big Lie is what's doing real harm to America? Really? Not violent crime in every city? Not gas prices? Not grocery prices? Not a thousand and one other things? I just read this morning about two companies that have been in existence over 50 years here that are closing shop given current conditions. But to you It's the Big Lie. What a Fing moron you are. November will be an absolute bloodbath.
Nothing we haven't overcome before. Losing faith in democracy is a crack in the foundation.

I have no idea how this will factor in

Obviously he will play this up. I have no doubt he's purposely kept out of raising personal money for just this reason.

He's smart. He's plenty young enough to run in 2028 if Trump decides to run in 2024.

I just don't want them both to run and split the party and possibly ruin what should be a shoo-in Republican win.

Obviously he will play this up. I have no doubt he's purposely kept out of raising personal money for just this reason.

He's smart. He's plenty young enough to run in 2028 if Trump decides to run in 2024.

I just don't want them both to run and split the party and possibly ruin what should be a shoo-in Republican win.
There is nothing shoo-in about a 2024 Trump nomination. He had the highest negatives is the history of the POTUS.

His wife wants him to run too.

I am someone on here who the left leaning posters have labeled a "Trumper" and I would vote for DeSantis over Trump every day and twice on Sunday.

His wife wants him to run too.

I am someone on here who the left leaning posters have labeled a "Trumper" and I would vote for DeSantis over Trump every day and twice on Sunday.
I would, too, but I don't want to see them run against each other.

I would, too, but I don't want to see them run against each other.
I don't either, but I honestly don't want people to sit out just because Trump sucks so much oxygen out of everything. Trump running again is just a rehash of all of this. There is a better option on the table in Desantis who can pull both the Trump voter and the more establishment voter.

We cannot risk another 4 years of what we are currently getting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT