ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-MAGA Conservative roundtable

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Michael Steele held an interesting roundtable, that I thought some of the people on the board who view themselves in a similar fashion could relate to... No doubt many of the folks within MAGA world would derisively characterize this group as RINOs, and undoubtedly there are some on this board who would join in on the name calling. But these people all either ran and held elective office as Republicans or worked for Republican Administrations and/or campaigns. And in the case of Miles Taylor, he actually worked within both the Bush and Trump Administrations...

It won't do any good to advise folks who have no interest in this topic to skip it, in hopes of fostering an actual discussion. We all already know the posts labelling them RINOs will be coming, and more than a few will likely emanate from people who have less experience or legitimacy than these folks when it comes to being a Republican, rather than just a Trumpist.

But I'm essentially interested in hearing from the people on the board who felt they had to leave the GOP due to Trump, no matter if you view yourself as a conservative, moderate or even liberal type of "Republican", or former Republican. Building on that I'm curious to know if you feel you do or do not identify with the issues that they articulate as having left them feeling alienated?

For example, Michael Steele was actually RNC Chairman and held office in MD. Yet he seems to have very little in common with someone like Ronna McDaniel, even though they were both integrally involved in the Romney campaign.

Joe Walsh is a devout Catholic who opposes abortion and is essentially conservatively-oriented on just about everything...But he views Trumpism as an authoritarian blight on the GOP and the US. And as for Miles Taylor, he's actually a homegrown Hoosier from LaPorte with a degree from IU...

Imho, Walsh nails it with his parting shot regarding CPAC and Hungary...

Michael Steele held an interesting roundtable, that I thought some of the people on the board who view themselves in a similar fashion could relate to... No doubt many of the folks within MAGA world would derisively characterize this group as RINOs, and undoubtedly there are some on this board who would join in on the name calling. But these people all either ran and held elective office as Republicans or worked for Republican Administrations and/or campaigns. And in the case of Miles Taylor, he actually worked within both the Bush and Trump Administrations...

It won't do any good to advise folks who have no interest in this topic to skip it, in hopes of fostering an actual discussion. We all already know the posts labelling them RINOs will be coming, and more than a few will likely emanate from people who have less experience or legitimacy than these folks when it comes to being a Republican, rather than just a Trumpist.

But I'm essentially interested in hearing from the people on the board who felt they had to leave the GOP due to Trump, no matter if you view yourself as a conservative, moderate or even liberal type of "Republican", or former Republican. Building on that I'm curious to know if you feel you do or do not identify with the issues that they articulate as having left them feeling alienated?

For example, Michael Steele was actually RNC Chairman and held office in MD. Yet he seems to have very little in common with someone like Ronna McDaniel, even though they were both integrally involved in the Romney campaign.

Joe Walsh is a devout Catholic who opposes abortion and is essentially conservatively-oriented on just about everything...But he views Trumpism as an authoritarian blight on the GOP and the US. And as for Miles Taylor, he's actually a homegrown Hoosier from LaPorte with a degree from IU...

I love it Cos when you come down to the common man's level and use language like " folks ".

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
I love it Cos when you come down to the common man's level and use language like " folks ".
I actually prefer to use a term like folks, which I consider less pejorative than something like" those people"... Thanks for noticing?

Building off of Miles Taylor, here is a more in depth interview with fellow Hoosier and erstwhile Republican Taylor.

So I personally find this interesting assuming Miles has at least an AB in Poly Sci from IU, because Miles left IU as a dedicated right-leaning Conservative, worked for Bush as well as holding a major counter terrorism role in Homeland Security under Trump. And although he previously left the Trump Admin over policy issues, he had remained essentially an anti_Trump Republican, until the events in Buffalo...

Now I know some on the Right will disagree with his assessments of events like El Paso and Buffalo, but I would point out that he is an expert in the field of terrorism, both foreign and domestic. And I would also point out that along with that expertise comes experience and knowledge regarding world events and various organizations that are likely unknown to the general public at large. So you can argue with his analysis and conclusions, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim he didn't have the standing to reach them...

I guess it's possible that he was shaped by watching MSNBC on the side while working within the Trump Govt, though that seems a tad far fetched. I think the much more likely explanation for his shift is a result of things he witnessed or learned in person. And that seems to be a recurring theme among the people who Trump claimed were "the best people" he was exclusively going to hire.

Admittedly I'm biased but I would strongly argue that the evidence shows that the most qualified and respectable people that Trump hired for his Admin were inevitably the people who left. Consequently, by the time the FFP was defeated in 2020, any people of quality had essentially ceased to work for him. Obviously anyone who still supports Trump will see it differently by definition, but again I'm not particularly directing this thread to people in that category...

As a preface to the interview,, I thought Ayman's attempt to direct Miles to refute the previous 50 yrs of Republicanism was pretty cringeworthy, and basically ignored Miles's definition of himself as a "Reagan enthusiast". It was kind of a meaningless attempt to get Taylor to offer a condemnation of pre-Trump GOP policies, and obviously Taylor didn't have issues with Bush.

I respect Taylor for sticking to his ground and not falling into the trap, because the issue is his rejection of Trumpism specifically, not a repudiation of the way Miles characterized the Party he willing joined and served...In that regard, I imagine he would find some kindred souls on the board...

In theory these people should be able to fight for their party and move it more toward the center and away from crazy-town, but unfortunately I think it's all for naught.

I think another guy biding his time and trying to do something like this is John Kasich. He's currently doing a podcast with Jordan Klepper from the Daily Show, essentially trying to show how similar and how many common interests people on the right/left are/have.

Though I like the sentiment, I think these people are falling short. I don't think it's their fault, but the default is 100% loyalty to MAGAism. Anything short of that requires a monumental amount of groveling and total lack of self-respect (See Ted Cruz and JD Vance).

Anyone who dares get out of line by espousing traditional conservative values while also defaming Trump is dead in the water. For some reason Trump has the GOP by the balls. Honestly I think they like having them cupped by him.

I’m a lifelong Republican/independent who could not support Trump. I view him as an immoral dude who did terribly in office and whose truest base is composed of white separatists. We desperately need a fiscal conservative in office and we know that isn’t Trump

Trump isn't the President and he's not going to be the nominee in 24. Hopefully, you can sleep well at night now:)

Last edited:
Leftists view of Trump is so binary. Either a MAGAbot or a Never Trumper. What about Republicans like myself who wouldn’t vote for Trump in a primary, but likely would in a general? It’s not like Trump got an absolute majority in the 2016 primary.
That's not what this is about. At all.

This is people who are like you claim (lifelong conservatives who don't care for Trump), but fully put their money where their mouth is and don't want to vote for him at all.

The only binary view being discussed here is of the Trump cultists who either believe you're fully with Trump or you're against him.

To your point though, anyone left of center probably do see support of Trump to be a non-starter. Anyone who can't or won't rationalize their values, morals and beliefs feels that way.

People whose political beliefs are inextricably intertwined with people are not deep or critical thinkers. I have my beliefs which are a product of the views of many different people plus my own Socratic solitaire. I am not a Reagan conservative or a Bush Republican or a Trump whatever. I dislike labels like RINO or MAGA. I’m probably both, either or neither depending on the issue. I’m considered liberal on other issues.

In short, those who think the Republican Party is not savable because of Trump don’t know what they really believe because they are full of shit.

A political news channel covers the most powerful GOP political figure who will likely be the GOP presidential nominee in 2024? The hell you say!
Lmao. A politically biased news channel covers a resident of Florida who is unlikely to ever run for president again because it's viewers are obsessed with same and it serves as a distraction from the ineptitude of their own administration.

Don't be naive

People whose political beliefs are inextricably intertwined with people are not deep or critical thinkers. I have my beliefs which are a product of the views of many different people plus my own Socratic solitaire. I am not a Reagan conservative or a Bush Republican or a Trump whatever. I dislike labels like RINO or MAGA. I’m probably both, either or neither depending on the issue. I’m considered liberal on other issues.

In short, those who think the Republican Party is not savable because of Trump don’t know what they really believe because they are full of shit.
100%. Policy not people

Trump isn't the President and he's not going to be the nominee in 24. Hopefully, you can sleep well at night now:)
Well 2ish out of 3 is pretty good.

- He is not the president.
- He WILL absolutely be running in 2024 and he will win the GOP nomination. Only thing that would stop him is a large sum of money from else where that also allows him to be in the limelight 24/7.
- I do sleep great at night. This is true for me personally.

So 2 out of 3 for me. Maybe 1 for3 with others. In baseball that's a HOF batting average.

Walsh is maybe the most interesting to me. A hard core religious right Reagan devotee. BIG GWB supporter. Unwavering in his support for the party and disdain for the left... until Trump.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well 2ish out of 3 is pretty good.

- He is not the president.
- He WILL absolutely be running in 2024 and he will win the GOP nomination. Only thing that would stop him is a large sum of money from else where that also allows him to be in the limelight 24/7.
- I do sleep great at night. This is true for me personally.

So 2 out of 3 for me. Maybe 1 for3 with others. In baseball that's a HOF batting average.
I'd take that bet. But we will know more in Nov. how much DeSantis wins by or doesn't I believe will shape what transpires with the party

Reactions: vesuvius13
These panelists aren't outliers. There are plenty of elected Republicans, including those in congressional leadership positions, who would likely say the same things - - but only off the record and in private. We know that from comments made by McCarthy, McConnell, Graham and others in the days following Jan 6, when they momentarily let their guard down. They fully recognize that Trump's a POS and a danger to democracy. But when they saw that Trump contained to hold sway over the MAGA faithful in their districts and states, they caved in order to ensure their own political survival.

There are, though, elected officials and candidates for office who are full-on, doctrinaire Trumpers. Doug Mastriano is Exhibit A. If that nutjob is elected governor of Pennsylvania, if Trump is on the ballot in 2024 and if you live in Pennsylvania, don't bother voting for president that Fall. Your vote will be meaningless. Based on his history, there's absolutely no doubt that Mastriano will make sure that Pennsylvania's electoral college votes go to Trump regardless of the vote of the people.

Tara Setmayer is spot on when she says that Trumpism is the Republican Party, and that a continuation of Trump's agenda will lead to a country that is unrecognizable.

Lmao. A politically biased news channel covers a resident of Florida who is unlikely to ever run for president again because it's viewers are obsessed with same and it serves as a distraction from the ineptitude of their own administration.

Don't be naive
Calling Trump 'a resident of Florida' is a little like calling Michael Jordan a resident of Chicago in 1994.

Yeah, he wasn't playing for the Bulls then, but he still had a lot of influence because he was still by far the Bulls best chance at winning another title and he could come back whenever he wanted.

Calling Trump 'a resident of Florida' is a little like calling Michael Jordan a resident of Chicago in 1994.

Yeah, he wasn't playing for the Bulls then, but he still had a lot of influence because he was still by far the Bulls best chance at winning another title and he could come back whenever he wanted.
I agree with part of your analogy. The GOPs best shot at winning a national election is with anyone but Trump. Look at Biden's approval rating. Abysmal right? Trumps were worse and still are.

The problem lies in primaries for the GOP. Trump is running and will destroy everyone in the primaries.

These panelists aren't outliers. There are plenty of elected Republicans, including those in congressional leadership positions, who would likely say the same things - - but only off the record and in private. We know that from comments made by McCarthy, McConnell, Graham and others in the days following Jan 6, when they momentarily let their guard down. They fully recognize that Trump's a POS and a danger to democracy. But when they saw that Trump contained to hold sway over the MAGA faithful in their districts and states, they caved in order to ensure their own political survival.

There are, though, elected officials and candidates for office who are full-on, doctrinaire Trumpers. Doug Mastriano is Exhibit A. If that nutjob is elected governor of Pennsylvania, if Trump is on the ballot in 2024 and if you live in Pennsylvania, don't bother voting for president that Fall. Your vote will be meaningless. Based on his history, there's absolutely no doubt that Mastriano will make sure that Pennsylvania's electoral college votes go to Trump regardless of the vote of the people.

Tara Setmayer is spot on when she says that Trumpism is the Republican Party, and that a continuation of Trump's agenda will lead to a country that is unrecognizable.
And the woke cult IS the Democratic Party. It's the only reason trump is still around. He's not stupid. He knows he lost the election. But common sense also tells him the cult is running the Dem party and they are so bat shit crazy he might take a wait and see approach. If Biden were a younger moderate, or Manchin, Obama, Clinton, or any non cultist Dem were in the mix Trump would ride off into the sunset knowing he doesn't stand a chance. He'd get destroyed.

As it stands he knows that trumpers and nontrumpers will vote for him before Harris, Warren, Pete.

I still believe he's a narcissist who likes playing kingmaker and won't run unless it's against someone from the far left. If DeSantis takes Fla by 3 plus he will be the republican candidate

Does she even bother to say what “TRUMPISM” is? Is it sensible border security? Is it sensible energy policy? Is it sensible criminal justice sentencing or due process under Title IX? How about tax policy that included increasing the standard deduction and limiting SALT deductions which helps the middle class and the rich complain about? All that plus more is TRUMPISM and all of us were better off with those things. Along come the Democrats and reverse almost all of it, not because of bad policy, but because they are Trump policy. Ugh!

I'd take that bet. But we will know more in Nov. how much DeSantis wins by or doesn't I believe will shape what transpires with the party
It only will shed light on whether or not Desantis runs in 2024. Not Trump. When Trump runs, he will, he will handedly win the Florida primary.

Wonderful, and probably about the 50th time you've posted some version of that theme.

Sure, principles not people! Except I'd probably carve out an exception where the influential leader of a powerful political party is also the leader of a cult of personality. And your first sentence perfectly describes those in the Trump/MAGA cult.

Reactions: UncleMark

There are plenty of real anti-MAGA conservatives on this board. You’re not going to win anybody over posting failed politicians like Walsh and Steele appearing on MSNBC.

It only will shed light on whether or not Desantis runs in 2024. Not Trump. When Trump runs, he will, he will handedly win the Florida primary.
Disagree. I think Trump is a lot smarter than people give him credit. Learned narcissism. If the Dems run a moderate Trump will be vetted and self vetted and if DeSantis has a strong election in Fla DeSantis will be the nominee. DeSantis has raised a ton of money. If the Dems run a far left candidate all bets are off and maybe trump thinks he can win and runs.

Just my opinion

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Disagree. I think Trump is a lot smarter than people give him credit. Learned narcissism. If the Dems run a moderate Trump will be vetted and self vetted and if DeSantis has a strong election in Fla DeSantis will be the nominee. DeSantis has raised a ton of money. If the Dems run a far left candidate all bets are off and maybe trump thinks he can win and runs.

Just my opinion
Regardless of stupid tweets and some brain cramps Trump is obviously a lot smarter than the leftys give him credit for. I would guess he is smarter than everyone of the ones that post here with no doubt. Even smart people do dumb things occasionally On the obverse I think Biden is even dumber than he appears at least in his current stage and he wasn't too bright to begin with. If he didn't get into politics and live off taxpayers he wouldn't amount to much.

Regardless of stupid tweets and some brain cramps Trump is obviously a lot smarter than the leftys give him credit for. I would guess he is smarter than everyone of the ones that post here with no doubt. Even smart people do dumb things occasionally On the obverse I think Biden is even dumber than he appears at least in his current stage and he wasn't too bright to begin with. If he didn't get into politics and live off taxpayers he wouldn't amount to much.
It's almost hard to believe how bad Biden is. Just the absolute worst. I'd take Don Jr on crack over Biden. And unpopular with my brethren I liked Obama. Never would I have thought Biden would be so awful

Wonderful, and probably about the 50th time you've posted some version of that theme.

Sure, principles not people! Except I'd probably carve out an exception where the influential leader of a powerful political party is also the leader of a cult of personality. And your first sentence perfectly describes those in the Trump/MAGA cult.
Even if you are correct, so what? Trump’s border and energy policies had nothing to do with cultism. But you are correct in one respect. The democrats trashed both policies not because they were bad, but because of Trump—more specifically the anti-Trump cult.

As far as I can tell, the so-called cult does nothing but keep certain parts of society interested in politics. The so-called cult has nothing to do with immigration, taxes, jobs, energy or NATO. It’s just another way for weak-thinking Democrats to bash people without talking about issues.

We’re going to disagree. I think Trump is a simple thinking buffoon amongst a peer set of overthinking bureaucrats and somehow it works. Mostly I think because the peers are so flummoxed by his buffoonery that they don’t know if it’s a game because he can’t possibly be this big of a jackass - except he is.

Just my opinion
You're using logic. Were talking about a guy(and a base) who really believes he won in 2020 and that some deep state group conspired and stole it from him.

Only 2 things will stop Trump(revised to 2 from 1 earlier). The first is death. I am not wishing that. Only stating the obvious that he cannot run if dead. Second is he starts making a ton of money doing something else all while keeping his stature as leader of the GOP.

I guess that could happen. Pretty risky on Desantis' part. He'd be better off just waiting until 28 then
If DeSantis waits and Trump runs and wins in 2024, the window may have closed for DeSantis. We could get a third term of Trump if the fast food doesn't kill him first (who says the 22nd Amendment can't be repealed - - is a constitutional convention called by two-thirds of the state legislatures such a stretch anymore?). Or maybe the installation of the first female president, lovely Ivanka. And then Jr. And then Barron may be old enough. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Does she even bother to say what “TRUMPISM” is? Is it sensible border security? Is it sensible energy policy? Is it sensible criminal justice sentencing or due process under Title IX? How about tax policy that included increasing the standard deduction and limiting SALT deductions which helps the middle class and the rich complain about? All that plus more is TRUMPISM and all of us were better off with those things. Along come the Democrats and reverse almost all of it, not because of bad policy, but because they are Trump policy. Ugh!
I do not know how she defines "Trumpism" but I can tell you what it is to me. An unending lie about a stolen election that was not stolen, the most disgraceful press conference in American history at Helsinki, and a president who incited a riot and then sat on his fat rear end for three hours doing nothing? He is a self serving former president who broke the law in his attempt to overturn an election and whose first reaction to any decision is "what's in it for me". As for his policies, you forgot to mention his record increase in the national debt and the largest spending bill in 2020 by a president ever. Biden is not the answer but this country can never have another liar and cheat like DJT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT