ADVERTISEMENT

IU Softball

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Is tied for 4th … I think .720 will get them in post season play.

Northwestern.svg
Northwestern17-2.89532-10.76213-010-49-68-2W1
Michigan.svg
Michigan16-3.84236-14.72013-08-915-510-0W12
Rutgers.svg
Rutgers12-7.63231-19.6205-414-912-67-3W3
Indiana.svg
Indiana11-8.57936-14.72014-511-711-28-2L1
PennState.svg
Penn State11-8.57933-14.70214-45-1014-04-6L2
Nebraska.svg
Nebraska10-8.55627-21.56211-106-510-64-6L2
Minnesota.svg
Minnesota10-8.55624-22.5225-410-89-103-7W

Reactions: 82IU
Yesterday's loss might be costly. That was the worst we've seen them play since the Michigan series. Really awful defensively.

They have a series at Northwestern next weekend. Getting at least one there might help assure a post season berth

I bet right now, the top 5 teams get in with those overall records. To me, shows the Big Ten isn't too shabby. But depends what happens from here on out. Losing yesterday won't hurt that much as long as they win today and win the series.

And they did lose, and lost the series. I was there. They looked totally outmatched, like we were playing Oklahoma. But no, it was 19-27 Wisconsin. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Vern Pain
And they did lose, and lost the series. I was there. They looked totally outmatched, like we were playing Oklahoma. But no, it was 19-27 Wisconsin. Makes no sense to me.
They came real close to getting swept.

Last edited:
They came real close to getting swept.
That's true but....

Should have won game 2. Bassett's error was a 4 run mishap. They had 3 errors yesterday, each if which turned into runs. Really terribly sloppy all weekend.

The IU women start B1G tournament play tomorrow as the No. 8 seed and they will take on No. 9 seed Purdue, and it will be on BTN at noon (ET).

They went 2-4 over the last two B1G series and tied PSU and OSU for 6th place in the conference with PSU and OSU getting the higher seeds over the tie breakers. Losing those tie breakers put them in the crosshairs of No. 1 seed Northwestern should they get by the Boilers. Unlike the men's baseball tournament, the softball tournament is single elimination.

Here's the link to the tournament bracket:

The IU women start B1G tournament play tomorrow as the No. 8 seed and they will take on No. 9 seed Purdue, and it will be on BTN at noon (ET).

They went 2-4 over the last two B1G series and tied PSU and OSU for 6th place in the conference with PSU and OSU getting the higher seeds over the tie breakers. Losing those tie breakers put them in the crosshairs of No. 1 seed Northwestern should they get by the Boilers. Unlike the men's baseball tournament, the softball tournament is single elimination.

Here's the link to the tournament bracket:

Interesting that the tourney hosts, Iowa, didn’t make the tourney.
Facing #4 Nebraska after #1 Northwestern is no picnic either.

IU women advanced with a 6-3 win over Purdue and they will face the No. 1 seed Northwestern tomorrow at noon ET which will be on BTN.

Reactions: indiana ed
Just beat Northwestern in the Quarterfinals. I have to think that maybe they just secured an NCAAT bid.
They won the game 4-3 and there was a little bit of suspense at the end when the No. 9 hitter singled with two outs and then took 2nd on a WP. With the top of the order up for the Wildcats, Copeland returned to the mound and got the last out for the win.

IU was probably a bubble team for the NCAAs, so beating the No. 1 seed and regular season conference champs sure helped their resume. IU currently has an RPI of 46 and they lead the conference in Q1 teams played at 20 games and have a 7-13 Q1 record.

They play the winner of the Neb/Minn game in the semifinals on Friday at 5 p.m. on BTN.

They won the game 4-3 and there was a little bit of suspense at the end when the No. 9 hitter singled with two outs and then took 2nd on a WP. With the top of the order up for the Wildcats, Copeland returned to the mound and got the last out for the win.

IU was probably a bubble team for the NCAAs, so beating the No. 1 seed and regular season conference champs sure helped their resume. IU currently has an RPI of 46 and they lead the conference in Q1 teams played at 20 games and have a 7-13 Q1 record.

They play the winner of the Neb/Minn game in the semifinals on Friday at 5 p.m. on BTN.
They were pretty fortunate to pull it out after leaving 10 base runners stranded. I'm glad Copeland maintained her cool after dropping that would be last out.

Reactions: ptrich
IU plays Nebraska tomorrow after they easily beat Minnesota, 11-2, with the game ending on the 5th inning run rule.

IU women scored a run in the top of the 7th to tie the game with the Huskers, 3-3, and put it into extra innings. IU then scored six runs in the top of the 8th with Copeland topping it off with a three-run homer to make it 9-3.

The Huskers got a two-out, 2-run homer to make it 9-5 IU and that would be the final.

IU moved on to the championship game for the 2nd year in a row and will play the winner of the Michigan/Wisconsin game which is later this evening.

If they don't win the championship game, they in all likelihood have clinched a spot in the NCAAs.

Last edited:
IU will face Michigan on Saturday for the championship with the game scheduled at 4 p.m. on the BTN.

Michigan rolled over IU early in the conference season at Andy Mohr Field by sweeping them with two of IU's three losses being by the run-rule. IU was right in the middle of a little slump at the time after getting swept at PSU just before the Michigan series. Hopefully, they will reverse it with the conference tourney championship at stake.

Reactions: DR IS IN

I don't follow softball much and didn't realize a pitcher can be relieved and later pitch again.

IU falls in the championship game, 3-1, after giving Michigan two unearned runs in the bottom of the 6th. With one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, a little grounder fielded by the IU pitcher, Klaiman, was easily fielded and she had a short throw to the catcher for an easy out at home but the throw was wide and the error scored the leading runs for Michigan. IU had two runners on with one out in the 7th, but couldn't plate a run.

It was the second straight loss for IU in the B1G tournament championship game, and if I'm not mistaken, Northwestern came from behind in the 7th of the last season's championship game to beat IU.

IU had an RPI of 45 going into this game and Michigan had an RPI of 34, so the loss won't hurt IU's chances to get an at-large bid to the NCAAs, and in fact, it's probably close to a lock for them.

Reactions: DR IS IN
IU falls in the championship game, 3-1, after giving Michigan two unearned runs in the bottom of the 6th. With one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, a little grounder fielded by the IU pitcher, Klaiman, was easily fielded and she had a short throw to the catcher for an easy out at home but the throw was wide and the error scored the leading runs for Michigan. IU had two runners on with one out in the 7th, but couldn't plate a run.

It was the second straight loss for IU in the B1G tournament championship game, and if I'm not mistaken, Northwestern came from behind in the 7th of the last season's championship game to beat IU.

IU had an RPI of 45 going into this game and Michigan had an RPI of 34, so the loss won't hurt IU's chances to get an at-large bid to the NCAAs, and in fact, it's probably close to a lock for them.

Catcher hurt us today with her decision to throw to first and the passed balls.

Catcher hurt us today with her decision to throw to first and the passed balls.
Yes, there was that also, but if that play at the plate was made, there was a good chance IU would have gotten out of the inning with no runs scored, but it's all history now and time to prepare for the NCAAs. IU outhit Michigan 7 to 2 but it was the little things that cost them today.

Reactions: ribbont
Yes but it was an effort play and as an excoach its never the effort plays. but the ones that were never attempted that both the most.

Pretty basic to know the throw ALWAYS goes to second base, not to first. If she goes to first, the runner is held at first and UM may not have scored that first run.

The NCAA softball tournament brackets were just released and IU is in the Columbia Regional with Missouri being the overall No. 7 seed. Here's the regional matchups.

Columbia Regional
  • Missouri (7) vs. Omaha, Friday, 5:30 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
  • Indiana vs. Washington, Friday, 3 p.m. (ESPN+)

Reactions: 82IU and ribbont
The NCAA softball tournament brackets were just released and IU is in the Columbia Regional with Missouri being the overall No. 7 seed. Here's the regional matchups.

Columbia Regional
  • Missouri (7) vs. Omaha, Friday, 5:30 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
  • Indiana vs. Washington, Friday, 3 p.m. (ESPN+)
So IND and WASH will get their B1G rivalry going early. :)

Who’s the higher seed?

So IND and WASH will get their B1G rivalry going early. :)

Who’s the higher seed?
Outside of the seeding of the hosting schools, there was no seeding for the other teams in the regionals, at least I didn't see any. All 13 teams in the SEC were selected for the tournament (Vandy does not have a softbll program.) I believe that the B1G has four teams in with Michigan, NW, and PSU joining IU.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT