ADVERTISEMENT

A question for board liberals and Biden voters

If the 2024 Candidates were Biden vs Haley who would you vote for?

• Biden

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Haley

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • 3rd party/leave blank

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
This is a good overview (imo):

The ACA did away with the shitty policies that didn't cover shit and cost you a fortune if you ever had to use them. It also required coverage for pre-existing. So yes, it was going to be more expensive. But 40 million people have benefited through either enhanced Medicaid or the Marketplace.

so pluses and minuses. pre-existing is huge and why i'm supportive. medicaid is dogshit. "good" doctors don't f with medicaid. and to danc's point above good luck getting in with doctors today. the system is totally broken. ideally you make enough dough to get a concierge doctor.

Reactions: DANC
The ACA was the classic picking winners and losers. Not unlike most all government programs. You were one of the winners. I was one of the losers. Then we have to address the quality of the coverage. Outside of the pre-existing condition…the overall quality of coverage has deteriorated. It most cases….drastically.
that's been my impression

I am on my third PA, in four years, for general care right now because regular doctors around here aren't taking new patients. All they do is order tests and tell me the results. Hell, I get the results and I can tell exactly what they tell me. I actually suggest dosages of my current medications and they agree with it! lol

General care really is getting to be a joke. I'd evidently had kidney cancer for 6 or 7 years before it was accidently discovered for another issue.
Are most of the physicians employees of a hospital? If so….they are salaried. They make the same money whether they see 10 people a day or 40.

Reactions: UncleMark
If that's the case (I'm not sure it is but won't argue the point), it still beats no coverage at all.
Pre-ACA , I paid $750 for an 8 day hospital stay. I paid zero for the insurance. All covered by my independent employer. Now, I have a $6750 individual deductible and $12,500 family deductible. It costs me $9,000 a year in premiums to have the coverage. I work for a large corporation. I’m sure my situation is not rare.

I am on my third PA, in four years, for general care right now because regular doctors around here aren't taking new patients. All they do is order tests and tell me the results. Hell, I get the results and I can tell exactly what they tell me. I actually suggest dosages of my current medications and they agree with it! lol

LOL. I hear that.

My urologist told me at my recent checkup that nothing has changed with my PSA and we'd just keep monitoring that. Then she said another prostate biopsy would be called for this coming year. I looked at her and growled and scowled. Prolly have to fight her on that one. I'm guessing they checked and found out Humana will pay for one once a year.

LOL. I hear that.

My urologist told me at my recent checkup that nothing has changed with my PSA and we'd just keep monitoring that. Then she said another prostate biopsy would be called for this coming year. I looked at her and growled and scowled. Prolly have to fight her on that one. I'm guessing they checked and found out Humana will pay for one once a year.
Please tell me that you do not have a Humana Medicare Advantage Plan

Are most of the physicians employees of a hospital? If so….they are salaried. They make the same money whether they see 10 people a day or 40.
I think they are now. Didn't used to be. That's partly why my brother-in-law retired as a surgeon. His group got bought out by the hospital.

Oh, I think the hospital makes sure they see the maximum number of patients they can. Not sure if the doctors are paid 100% on salary or if there are other incentives.

Pre-ACA , I paid $750 for an 8 day hospital stay. I paid zero for the insurance. All covered by my independent employer. Now, I have a $6750 individual deductible and $12,500 family deductible. It costs me $9,000 a year in premiums to have the coverage. I work for a large corporation. I’m sure my situation is not rare.
Yeah it seems like it just exploded

I think they are now. Didn't used to be. That's partly why my brother-in-law retired as a surgeon. His group got bought out by the hospital.

Oh, I think the hospital makes sure they see the maximum number of patients they can. Not sure if the doctors are paid 100% on salary or if there are other incentives.
Max patients is how they survive. That was part of the Covid nonsense about “hospitals overflowing” with Covid patients. They were already at 85-90 percent so just a few Covid patients and they are at caps. Sadly I’ve spent so much time at our hospital and I have a buddy who is an er doc there I talk to these people

LOL. I hear that.

Exactly. It's all about what insurance will pay for.

I told my doctor in Indy I would not do another 'digital' prostate exam after he insisted I get one. I tell him unless my PSA is elevated, I ain't doing it. When I used to go to him, when it came time to do it, he'd just look at me and I'd shake my head.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I'm certain my 12-year-old-looking PCP is an employee of IU Health. Gotta believe that's one reason she's so eager to order up any conceivable "appropriate" test or diagnostic procedure... provided by IU Health.

I get that they needed to establish a baseline and see where a late sixties smoker who hadn't ever had any regular preventive care stood. That's all been done, and then some. I'm going to put my foot down if/when they try and have me go through another round.

Max patients is how they survive. That was part of the Covid nonsense about “hospitals overflowing” with Covid patients. They were already at 85-90 percent so just a few Covid patients and they are at caps. Sadly I’ve spent so much time at our hospital and I have a buddy who is an er doc there I talk to these people
On the floors…yes. But those are all hospitalists. Family practice (hospital employed) is not that way. You call and say you’re sick…they send you to urgent care. They are not working you in to the schedule

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I told my doctor in Indy I would not do another 'digital' prostate exam after he insisted I get one. I tell him unless my PSA is elevated, I ain't doing it. When I used to go to him, when it came time to do it, he'd just look at me and I'd shake my head.

If she just wants me to assume the position and she pokes around I'm okay with that. That biopsy shit is a whole different matter.

Please tell me that you do not have a Humana Medicare Advantage Plan

Yup. Wife too. She being the heavy health care consumer and knowing how to find the gotchyas in coverage, I relied on her advice when choosing after I turned 65. When I found what I thought was best for me I showed her what I'd picked. It was the exact same policy she had chosen for herself.

Neither of us have had any complaints, and we've both had a lot done in the last few years.

LOL. I hear that.

you have to be your own aggressive advocate. at every step. frustrating but reality

Yup. Wife too. She being the heavy health care consumer and knowing how to find the gotchyas in coverage, I relied on her advice when choosing after I turned 65. When I found what I thought was best for me I showed her what I'd picked. It was the exact same policy she had chosen for herself.

Neither of us have had any complaints, and we've both had a lot done in the last few years.
It’s good…as long as you don’t get sick

I can’t talk my mom out of it either.
I'm not ready yet, but do you have a better suggestion? My mom and dad have humana + and it seems to fit them well enough. Dad recently had a spill that required a new knee and a total shoulder rebuild. It's taking care of it all.

I'm not ready yet, but do you have a better suggestion? My mom and dad have humana + and it seems to fit them well enough. Dad recently had a spill that required a new knee and a total shoulder rebuild. It's taking care of it all.
It’s going to be when there are therapy options where you will see the difference. As an example….wound care. My wife is a wound care nurse. They won’t even attempt to get grafts covered for Humana patients. The billing office has told the docs that it will not be approved.

Hell…it’s a moving target. Humana may be the best option in 2024. I am glad there are options. If I had to make the choice right now… I would choose traditional Medicare and buy a supplement.

That is what my father has and my mother said she stayed with a Medicare advantage plan this year. I am not sure which company she is with

It’s going to be when there are therapy options where you will see the difference. As an example….wound care. My wife is a wound care nurse. They won’t even attempt to get grafts covered for Humana patients. The billing office has told the docs that it will not be approved.

Hell…it’s a moving target. Humana may be the best option in 2024. I am glad there are options. If I had to make the choice right now… I would choose traditional Medicare and buy a supplement.

That is what my father has and my mother said she stayed with a Medicare advantage plan this year. I am not sure which company she is with
The only minor issue he had was that they would only cover <20 days in a therapy facility. They were able to get him close enough to mobile in 19 days though.

Wound care and graphs are more my thing. Took another end of a finger off 2 weeks ago in my brand new wood jointer. Kinda funny now that they call it a joint'er. :)

The only minor issue he had was that they would only cover <20 days in a therapy facility. They were able to get him close enough to mobile in 19 days though.

Wound care and graphs are more my thing. Took another end of a finger off 2 weeks ago in my brand new wood jointer. Kinda funny now that they call it a joint'er. :)
Another?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

With the wife's knee they paid for several days of inpatient rehab (as much as she needed, could probably have done more) and plenty of outpatient PT. I'll give her credit though, she's a tough old broad who got herself in the best condition possible beforehand and she was diligent about doing her exercises at home and has continued to do her unsupervised "workouts" at the Y.

The ACA did away with the shitty policies that didn't cover shit and cost you a fortune if you ever had to use them. It also required coverage for pre-existing. So yes, it was going to be more expensive. But 40 million people have benefited through either enhanced Medicaid or the Marketplace.

40 million? How did affect the other 300 million?

If Haley denounced Trump and said he was a geriatric misogynistic dictator who tried to overthrow the election, I would strongly consider voting for her, yes.

But so far she has said she would back Trump if he were to win the nomination, so that is an absolute deal breaker.

Biden represents American democracy. A vote for him is a vote to continue a peaceful and prosperous democratic Republic. He is way too old, but it really doesn't matter if Trump actually avoids jail and is in a position to be elected again. I don't see how any cognizant American would cast a vote in November for Trump.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Yep!
20+years of being a tool maker and nothing. Now give me wood working tools and I'm good for a knuckle every 2.8 yrs.... arggh. Oddly enough, that is also the sound they make it's not just typing a growl sound! :)

Fifteen years ago I clipped the tip off my thump with a shear. Hurt like hell and bleed like crazy. Went to a nearby prompt care where they dressed it and bandaged it and sent me home. Dressing was huge -- looked like a cast.

It healed up nice and clean and filled in and you'd never know it happened today, but it took years to get full feeling in the end of it. Always felt a little numb.

If she just wants me to assume the position and she pokes around I'm okay with that. That biopsy shit is a whole different matter.
I've not had that done and want to be knocked out if I ever have to have one.

I'm certain my 12-year-old-looking PCP is an employee of IU Health. Gotta believe that's one reason she's so eager to order up any conceivable "appropriate" test or diagnostic procedure... provided by IU Health.

I get that they needed to establish a baseline and see where a late sixties smoker who hadn't ever had any regular preventive care stood. That's all been done, and then some. I'm going to put my foot down if/when they try and have me go through another round.
My little PA is MAYBE 30. Very petite and cute. I love it when she lectures me on a healthy lifestyle. i just smile and nod.

Like, babe if you only knew.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
I've not had that done and want to be knocked out if I ever have to have one.

It was the last diagnostic procedure after the PSA, digital exam, and MRI. Samples were taken, guided by the MRI images, and evaluated. If the evaluation is correct -- that the cancer is essentially benign -- and there are no changes in the PSA and it doesn't get any larger, then I'll be damned if I'll be submitting to another biopsy. It wasn't traumatic or anything, but it was uncomfortable as hell and I dribbled bloody for two weeks. My tighty whities looked like I was having a monthly cycle. Wife actually offered me pads.

Last edited:
  • Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT