ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball….men and women

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
Well, I guess everyone doesn’t hate Woody, as was the info we were getting two weeks ago when everyone was leaving. We still need a shooter who can create his shot and a big, but we have a decent nucleus. Don’t think Woody is the answer, but maybe with enough talent?
As for the women, for those of you who don’t follow, I feel bad for you because this was one of the most enjoyable teams we have had. There was absolutely no quit in those women, even after they got down 22. Listening to Mack after the game exemplifies everything still right in the sport. With the portal, NIL, and transfers after every year, it was so refreshing to hear how much she loves IU , her coaches and her teammates. Women need a shooter and a big too, although I’m not sure about recruits coming in. We did well getting Sara and Sydney from the portal.
Hate to see a kid go down, but can’t say I was sad about Sampson losing.

Well, I guess everyone doesn’t hate Woody, as was the info we were getting two weeks ago when everyone was leaving. We still need a shooter who can create his shot and a big, but we have a decent nucleus. Don’t think Woody is the answer, but maybe with enough talent?
As for the women, for those of you who don’t follow, I feel bad for you because this was one of the most enjoyable teams we have had. There was absolutely no quit in those women, even after they got down 22. Listening to Mack after the game exemplifies everything still right in the sport. With the portal, NIL, and transfers after every year, it was so refreshing to hear how much she loves IU , her coaches and her teammates. Women need a shooter and a big too, although I’m not sure about recruits coming in. We did well getting Sara and Sydney from the portal.
The women have 2 bigs coming in, Wiseman is 6'4 and projects more as a stretch 4. She will need some weight training. The other is 6'3 and is supposedly pretty athletic.

We did not get to see Jelks much, maybe she will be a contributor. Otherwise Lilly, who I really like but I don't see as a "star". But she has learned a lot and has a lot of Mac's footwork.

Bargasser needs Ali to tear down her shot and rebuild it starting ASAP. I think she will start at point, but we can't have people ignoring her and helping all over the floor.

I suspect we will target a shooter.

For the men, we have the nucleus if the portal is kind. I think Woodson can learn of the errors of this season. Moren wasn't a fan of 3's when she came here but quickly learned. I am not saying he will revamp the offense, but he should and he should see it.

I love MR's passion, he has to learn to control it. Hopefully that gets worked on.

Cupps desperately needs the weight room. He really looks like Opie Taylor playing against the Celtics. If he were stronger I think he can be good.

I do not know how anyone can think the women’s game is boring now. Every team has great players left, Caitlin, Angel, JuJu and S C center ( can’t spell her name). This game pace is crazy right now.

F-1FA4BW0AAMS1N

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
The men need a point guard as well. Others on this board say Jakai Newton is more of a combo guard. That's probably what Galloway is too. So, point guard seems to be open.

As for shooters, I'd get 7-8 student managers to rebound and 50 basketballs and lock Leal, Galloway and Mbako in the Cook center until they can hit 100 in a row from range. No Grand Theft Auto for them until they hit 100 straight.

Reactions: zeke4ahs and larsIU
1 year I think. Maybe 2, I am not sure if she used her COVID year.

She has played in CA, FL, and now TX. Seems like someone is concerned about their brand size.

One of them is dating a Dallas Cowboys player - which is probably the biggest draw to Dallas.

But, yes, they are concerned far more about their brand than winning, I would imagine. It's smart, they are printing money.

I do not know how anyone can think the women’s game is boring now. Every team has great players left, Caitlin, Angel, JuJu and S C center ( can’t spell her name). This game pace is crazy right now.
It’s better than it has been, but I’m sorry - it doesn’t hold a candle to the men’s games. The speed and power are undeniably different as is the base athleticism.

Reactions: jet812
It’s better than it has been, but I’m sorry - it doesn’t hold a candle to the men’s games. The speed and power are undeniably different as is the base athleticism.
No doubt it’s different. People prefer different things. I don’t care that much about dunks. The fact that viewership of men is going down and women is going up shows that quite a few people enjoy the women. As I said before, I think part of it is the personalities. With the men’s game now the players are gone in a year or two.

It is true many like the athleticism of the men's game. And I get that. But at the same point track and field has tremendous athletes and doesn't draw me to too many events. I love the team aspect, I used to love watching Princeton run their offense against far more athletic teams.

For the women, UConn is fun to watch. They don't really use ball screens (the pick and roll has become too ubiquitous for the men). UConn women don't use a lot of screens, period. Ball movement and cutting is their offense. I like the movement.

I get the athleticism, it just isn't a huge draw for me. It's sort of icing on the cake.

No doubt it’s different. People prefer different things. I don’t care that much about dunks. The fact that viewership of men is going down and women is going up shows that quite a few people enjoy the women. As I said before, I think part of it is the personalities. With the men’s game now the players are gone in a year or two.
The viewership of the women growing is likely due to two things: 1) it’s starting from a low base and 2) big sports media has tried making a god out of Caitlin Clark

The men don’t stick around college long enough to be featured anymore. But it’s still a better product. Once the G League Ignite folds up shop soon - it’ll only improve.

I’m skeptical that once Clark moves on that they’ll retain the ratings. And after a couple years of WNBA play, I doubt their ratings will be any higher either.

Do you guys not think Sydney is hot? I think she’s gorgeous! I know, not Mark’s type…

The viewership of the women growing is likely due to two things: 1) it’s starting from a low base and 2) big sports media has tried making a god out of Caitlin Clark

The men don’t stick around college long enough to be featured anymore. But it’s still a better product. Once the G League Ignite folds up shop soon - it’ll only improve.

I’m skeptical that once Clark moves on that they’ll retain the ratings. And after a couple years of WNBA play, I doubt their ratings will be any higher either.
Women's game is hitting while the iron is hot. Playing off Clark and controversy between opposing players. The waters will level on this we are just in a high tide right now.

100% no on this site can name Tennessee's best female player but close to 100% can name the men's.

Women's game is hitting while the iron is hot. Playing off Clark and controversy between opposing players. The waters will level on this we are just in a high tide right now.

100% no on this site can name Tennessee's best female player but close to 100% can name the men's.
Only because we recruited him. I can name Stanford’s female best player and not the men’s, Southern Cal’s and LSU.

Only because we recruited him. I can name Stanford’s female best player and not the men’s, Southern Cal’s and LSU.
Bronny James. I wonder if he’s in the portal. Go get him. Anything to bring an ounce of entertainment to this program

Women's game is hitting for me b/c the IUWBB were great to watch, while the men were embarrassing.
Took my family to the IU vs Fairfield game and we didn't even watch the men on tv this year. To me basketball is like art and food; there are only two kinds....good and bad.

Ok give me OSU, Illinois, Wisonsin, Minny, MSU, Purdue and Rutgers best female players. Funny you mention Stanford and USC maybe because their all in social media right now? Easy to name the top 5 players in the nation. lol

You talking about RIckea Jackson? :)

Ok give me OSU, Illinois, Wisonsin, Minny, MSU, Purdue and Rutgers best female players. Funny you mention Stanford and USC maybe because their all in social media right now? Easy to name the top 5 players in the nation. lol
Jacy Sheldon or Cotie McMahon
MAkira Cook
Tall skinny black girl....Sara?
Braun...got hurt
Dee Dee Haggemann - in the portal
Didn't have one LOL Maybe Abby Ellis or JEnae Terry
No clue on Rutgers

You’re asking someone who is a true fan of women’s basketball. That’s not going to prove your point.

By the way, the ratings for the UConn versus Southern Cal women’s game Monday night was somewhere around the fourth or fifth highest rated women’s game.

How did football and women's b-ball get to a better spot as programs than men's basketball? Diminutive Koreans on Nebraska are beating IU's ass by 20 at halftime while Woody plays 80's post ball. Woody has done nothing in the tournament and gone .500 in the Big 10, yet management is unable to make the obvious management decision that your average lay person could make. It boggles the mind.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Bronny James. I wonder if he’s in the portal. Go get him. Anything to bring an ounce of entertainment to this program
I knew Bronny but he’s definitely not their best player. And yes he’s in the portal. He averaged 5 points a game.

Ok give me OSU, Illinois, Wisonsin, Minny, MSU, Purdue and Rutgers best female players. Funny you mention Stanford and USC maybe because they’re all in social media right now? Easy to name the top 5 players in the nation. lol
Well I mentioned them because they are the best players in the country. I have season tickets to both men and women so I can name some players from some of the teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT