ADVERTISEMENT

Zander

Where did you hear this and why is it his last year? I still think if Wilson had ever committed to him, he would have been better than Lagow my Eggo.

Reactions: DANC
That sucks. Please tell me Lagow my Eggo went through senior day as well.

His dad says he will be granted a red shirt so he might have 2 more years. Lagow is a bit raw for this level but can make all the throws. 2 more years and he might be something. Sud had much the same as far as detractors in his first year.

Two things:

1. He's giving up football because of concussions. He knows he's not going to be a pro. His words. He also gave a nice statement about the coaches and fans.

2. How many times are you going to post "Lagow my Eggo?" It doesn't get any funnier.

His dad says he will be granted a red shirt so he might have 2 more years. Lagow is a bit raw for this level but can make all the throws. 2 more years and he might be something. Sud had much the same as far as detractors in his first year.

Yeah, but Sud's first year was his first year. Lagow has been at this for a long time. Maybe not at this level but he's not a spring chicken and is still making the same stupid mistakes at the end of the season as he did early in the season. He's a got a rocket arm but underthrows constantly. He's the reincarnation of Jeff George.

Two things:

1. He's giving up football because of concussions. He knows he's not going to be a pro. His words. He also gave a nice statement about the coaches and fans.

2. How many times are you going to post "Lagow my Eggo?" It doesn't get any funnier.

1. Who is giving up football?
2. That's what my son and I call him. Wasn't trying to entertain you.

Sometimes things click and take off from there. sometimes they never do, we will see I guess. One thing is for sure, we need to be able to run the ball if anyone is going to be successful at qb.

Reactions: BGunn
W

Why do you feel a need to slam one QB in order to talk about another one?

As this is a forum to discuss IU FB, I was stating that unfortunately the wrong QB walked on senior day. Sorry, 18 TDs to 16 ints isn't getting it done. Nothing personal about it, wish him all the luck in the world but I'd prefer to see someone else QBing IU.

I think he made it clear he wants to get out of football with his brain intact. Unless he changes his mind on that he won't be testing the NFL.

At the very least, he established himself in Bucket lore. I dislike him for that, but I wish him the very best at whichever fast food restaurant he finds employment.

May this signal the end of your reign.

Reactions: dick burkhart
I'd like him to red-shirt and maybe try to be a WR. The kid's got serious wheels and he's a real gamer. I'd love to see him back.

He's been a key player on 2 Bucket wins - that puts him in rare company at IU.

Two things:

The only thing funny about his post is that he believes Zander Diamont is more viable candidate at QB than Richard Lagow. Don't get me wrong I love Diamont ... In the role he is in now as change of pace guy. As far as Lsgow I am tired of all the bashing he receives. Many of his int s came off of wr hands not his fault. I am tired of hearing about his mechanical flaws have you ever seen Phillip Rivers throw or even worse Cam Newton? He is a cannon of an arm. And as far as this argument that he locks on to one receiver everyone loves to pretend they are a QB guru and say that about guys that throw into and makes you think you are smart. I have not heard one expert say that yet. Yes I do hope one of the young guys do challenge him because competition makes you better. But if we have to live Lagow for 1 or 2 more years then I am all in.

Reactions: 10yrProject
The only thing funny about his post is that he believes Zander Diamont is more viable candidate at QB than Richard Lagow. Don't get me wrong I love Diamont ... In the role he is in now as change of pace guy. As far as Lsgow I am tired of all the bashing he receives. Many of his int s came off of wr hands not his fault. I am tired of hearing about his mechanical flaws have you ever seen Phillip Rivers throw or even worse Cam Newton? He is a cannon of an arm. And as far as this argument that he locks on to one receiver everyone loves to pretend they are a QB guru and say that about guys that throw into and makes you think you are smart. I have not heard one expert say that yet. Yes I do hope one of the young guys do challenge him because competition makes you better. But if we have to live Lagow for 1 or 2 more years then I am all in.
You dont need to be an "expert" to see clearly he many times, not always, locks onto his primary receiver. Not sure what that comment even means...after over 50 years being around FB...you better be able to see it or you really dont know whats going on.

Ps...and yes, the so called TV Analyists experts have called him out many times over the season for locking on his target. Not sure where you got that accusation from...

I'm sad to hear that this will be the last season for Zander. He may have not been a good passer but always more exciting with him at Qb.
He was so bad in his freshman year, but he played a big part in several wins this year. He has come up big in two bucket games in his 3 years.

I wish he was coming back, but I respect his decision. I am glad he has one more game to play.

You dont need to be an "expert" to see clearly he many times, not always, locks onto his primary receiver. Not sure what that comment even means...after over 50 years being around FB...you better be able to see it or you really dont know whats going on.

Ps...and yes, the so called TV Analyists experts have called him out many times over the season for locking on his target. Not sure where you got that accusation from...

Again have not heard that from any QB experts and I am not sure how you can tell what a QB is looking at on tv. IU runs many rpo s in which the QB is looking at one specific defensive player is that players moves at all from his spot it is a pass read if he stays it is run because you have taken a person from their run fit usually the cutback responsibity. That has been stated that IU runs more too than most people so yes it would appear that he is locking in on one receiver.

Certainly not, he must first get through a rigorous training program that weeds out most IU grads.
Well, he can't start anyway until after he plays in the bowl game. Meanwhile, your guys can get back to servicing the sheep today. With no football practice to delay them, they can get to the livestock barns before the ag majors take the best-looking ones.

One point I will add. I'm not impressed with what Kevin Johns has done as a QB coach. Seth Littrell had the most impact on Nate Sudfeld. Wilson has taken over the playcalling duties from Johns from what I have heard. I believe that we will see some offensive shake up on our staff this year. Im also hoping that Allen and Hagen are here to stay. Those guys are great coaches.

He was so bad in his freshman year, but he played a big part in several wins this year. He has come up big in two bucket games in his 3 years.

I wish he was coming back, but I respect his decision. I am glad he has one more game to play.
Likewise sorry to see Zander forgo his last year. I would have loved to see year two of our wildcat. Felt like it could have been more effective than what it was.

Again have not heard that from any QB experts and I am not sure how you can tell what a QB is looking at on tv. IU runs many rpo s in which the QB is looking at one specific defensive player is that players moves at all from his spot it is a pass read if he stays it is run because you have taken a person from their run fit usually the cutback responsibity. That has been stated that IU runs more too than most people so yes it would appear that he is locking in on one receiver.
Coach, you like him...a lot. I get it, but I have spent plenty of time around the game evaluating kids at various positions for the Florida Gators and the Miami Hurricanes and I see mechanical issues and I see game situation read issues. Doesn't make him bad, just inexperienced.
Mechanics can take a long time to work out and CAN be a cause of interceptions. I can point out one glaring example of a kid I know. Travis Wilson, the former 3 year starter at Utah. 6'7", but releases the ball as if he were 5'8". He still played at Utah though. His mechanical issues and read issues caused him to have a high number of interceptions too. almost as many as his touchdowns, which we have here with Richard Lagow.
At the Nike Elite 11, I was working as an evaluator. I saw Travis have a lower release point than a kid from Dr. Phillip HS in Orlando, named Nick Patti. Nick was 5'9"- 5'10", but he had to LEARN extension and release, where many of these other tall kids liked to "place" the ball in their throwing action.
There is also a huge difference in being able to make throws and being able to decide which throws to make and THEN, making the throw. As I said in a previous post where Mr. Lagow said, "Richard can throw rings around Blough", who was one of his workout partners. I think Lagow struggles in a game situation. That is the difference between a QB workout where the "guru" has them throw outs and get good at it and then throw fades, then posts. The problem becomes situational awareness. Knowing when to throw what at what the "D" is allowing you to have. I told a previous story about the QB guru who blasted the kid from LSU, Jamarcus Russell, said he can "throw it a mile sitting on his ass, but, doesn't know where f--- to throw it, or who the f--- to throw it to." That is a problem.
You previously said you were a HS coach and in HS you can get away with a play call like this from the coach to the shuttle player, "Give me Power right, Shield right. and tell Sammy to throw it to Billy". That happens in HS , but it sometimes happens in college too, even though it shouldn't.
In college, you should have a pass play designed to exploit man defense and zone defense both. opposite sides of the field designed to exploit the weakness of each type of defense and it becomes the QB's responsibility to identify what defense is in play, choose the appropriate side of the field to attack and then deliver the ball. Adjustments get made by a smart QB who knows the strengths and weakness of the "D" he's facing and the strengths and weaknesses of his WR's. If he sees a play that will be all f'-d up, he checks out, usually to a run or a predefined pass play. The ability to do that on the field, defines his ability as a QB. A guy who is really good at it will be surgical in the way he throws the ball into the defense. It is up to his receivers to catch it and keep the drive moving, so there are a lot of moving parts, but first and foremost, it starts with the QB recognizing what is going on. What guys who know just enough, to think they know something see is , "man, he can wing it....He sure has a pro arm, I don't care what anybody says, that kids arm is golden etc. etc." Throwing it is just one part of the play.
What I think I see, and I am not professing to be a "guru" , but I do think I have a better awareness than most, is Lagow can certainly throw the ball well and when he has to throw a pass that he knows he's doing from the get go, he can do it pretty well. We've all seen it...but....when he has to pick up game action and recognize what is going on, instead of being in there to "chuck it", is when I think he has trouble. Throwing into double coverage, where a guy in the flat is wide open. or a guy who split the seam down the middle running free and he doesn't see because that's not where coach said I should throw. Or throwing to a "favorite" WR, who might be running headlong to his death, with a safety closing from the blindside in the middle because he was open as he left the line. All that is learned and it is all about film study, some guys get it, some will not. Let's hope he does.
As far as RPO's, it matters who you are optioning as to what you do. Most HS teams will option the DE or the DB. One thing that Oregon used to do with Chip Kelly was option the movement of the safety, which at the time, was unusual. If the safety played up as he thought it was a run, you almost always had a one on one match up to the back side. The QB responded well, recognized what was happening and delivered a ball that looked miraculous, "How did he do that?" "How did he see that guy was open?" He took a line from the old Mike Leach playbook to say , "I want my athlete one on one, against yours, in 1/3 of the field and I can win the game. If the ball gets there the same time my guy does, we win. simple as that." I could go on talking x's and O's for a long time.......

Last edited:
Coach, you like him...a lot. I get it, but I have spent plenty of time around the game evaluating kids at various positions for the Florida Gators and the Miami Hurricanes and I see mechanical issues and I see game situation read issues. Doesn't make him bad, just inexperienced.
Mechanics can take a long time to work out and CAN be a cause of interceptions. I can point out one glaring example of a kid I know. Travis Wilson, the former 3 year starter at Utah. 6'7", but releases the ball as if he were 5'8". He still played at Utah though. His mechanical issues and read issues caused him to have a high number of interceptions too. almost as many as his touchdowns, which we have here with Richard Lagow.
At the Nike Elite 11, I was working as an evaluator. I saw Travis have a lower release point than a kid from Dr. Phillip HS in Orlando, named Nick Patti. Nick was 5'9"- 5'10", but he had to LEARN extension and release, where many of these other tall kids liked to "place" the ball in their throwing action.
There is also a huge difference in being able to make throws and being able to decide which throws to make and THEN, making the throw. As I said in a previous post where Mr. Lagow said, "Richard can throw rings around Blough", who was one of his workout partners. I think Lagow struggles in a game situation. That is the difference between a QB workout where the "guru" has them throw outs and get good at it and then throw fades, then posts. The problem becomes situational awareness. Knowing when to throw what at what the "D" is allowing you to have. I told a previous story about the QB guru who blasted the kid from LSU, Jamarcus Russell, said he can "throw it a mile sitting on his ass, but, doesn't know where f--- to throw it, or who the f--- to throw it to." That is a problem.
You previously said you were a HS coach and in HS you can get away with a play call like this from the coach to the shuttle player, "Give me Power right, Shield right. and tell Sammy to throw it to Billy". That happens in HS , but it sometimes happens in college too, even though it shouldn't.
In college, you should have a pass play designed to exploit man defense and zone defense both. opposite sides of the field designed to exploit the weakness of each type of defense and it becomes the QB's responsibility to identify what defense is in play, choose the appropriate side of the field to attack and then deliver the ball. Adjustments get made by a smart QB who knows the strengths and weakness of the "D" he's facing and the strengths and weaknesses of his WR's. If he sees a play that will be all f'-d up, he checks out, usually to a run or a predefined pass play. The ability to do that on the field, defines his ability as a QB. A guy who is really good at it will be surgical in the way he throws the ball into the defense. It is up to his receivers to catch it and keep the drive moving, so there are a lot of moving parts, but first and foremost, it starts with the QB recognizing what is going on. What guys who know just enough, to think they know something see is , "man, he can wing it....He sure has a pro arm, I don't care what anybody says, that kids arm is golden etc. etc." Throwing it is just one part of the play.
What I think I see, and I am not professing to be a "guru" , but I do think I have a better awareness than most, is Lagow can certainly throw the ball well and when he has to throw a pass that he knows he's doing from the get go, he can do it pretty well. We've all seen it...but....when he has to pick up game action and recognize what is going on, instead of being in there to "chuck it", is when I think he has trouble. Throwing into double coverage, where a guy in the flat is wide open. or a guy who split the seam down the middle running free and he doesn't see because that's not where coach said I should throw. Or throwing to a "favorite" WR, who might be running headlong to his death, with a safety closing from the blindside in the middle because he was open as he left the line. All that is learned and it is all about film study, some guys get it, some will not. Let's hope he does.
As far as RPO's, it matters who you are optioning as to what you do. Most HS teams will option the DE or the DB. One thing that Oregon used to do with Chip Kelly was option the movement of the safety, which at the time, was unusual. If the safety played up as he thought it was a run, you almost always had a one on one match up to the back side. The QB responded well recognized what was happening and delivered a ball that looked miraculous, "How did he do that?" "How did he see that guy was open?" He took a line from the old Mike Leach playbook to say , "I want my athlete one on one, against yours, in 1/3 of the field and I can win the game. If the ball gets there the same time my guy does, we win. simple as that." I could go on talking x's and O's for a long time.......

Nice Tull reference.

Reactions: Monday QB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT