ADVERTISEMENT

DL Tyrique Tucker Commits

Only know about Tucker by what I've read but I've got to say I'm starting to feel better about the direction of the DL. Part of that feeling comes from Cignetti consistently getting talent he wants and isn't just filling an opening. Not relying completely on being well versed on roster structure and balance but I think another DT, a LB and because of losing Minor 2 more DB'S are of need before Fall Camp. But Cignetti knows for sure so I'll support whoever comes aboard. 2 cents + an ice cold bottle of Heinekens worth served by a red haired honey.

Last edited:
Right, at 6-1, 300 lbs he's a fire hydrant with 3 yrs of eligibility left. Fantastic!
Remember Marlon Fleming from the mid-70s He was that size.

I used to see him walking to class from Briscoe and he took up the WHOLE sidewalk. lol

I remember one play in particular, the opposing QB was looking to pass and was standing there and Marlon got past his man for a wide open shot at the QB. The QB just dropped to the ground, rather than take the hit or try to get away. lol The crowd laughed.

Last edited:

I used to see him walking to class from Briscoe and he took up the WHOLE sidewalk. lol

I remember one play in particular, the opposing QB was looking to pass and was standing there and Marlon got past his man for a wide open shot at the QB. The QB just dropped to the ground, rather than take the hit or try to get away. lol The crowd laughed.
I also remember passing him as I was walking from the Geology Building to the Union one day. Let's just say you couldn't miss him! LOL. Corso moved him to OL after a couple of years at DT? iirc. He found a home at OT and played well for the Holiday Bowl Team in 1979. It would take a DE a week to get around him. VBG. I think he was closer to 380-400 lbs in his final playing days. They say he was a good man...RIP Big M!

I wish I shared everyone's optimism about fielding a team that is mostly a roster of guys that weren't good enough to make the P5. There's no doubt you can identify some overlooked guys and diamonds in the rough...and there's also SOME value in having guys familiar with the system/coaches...but I think we've likely passed that threshold. I hope I'm wrong and/or I hope this is a 1st-year approach only.

I wish I shared everyone's optimism about fielding a team that is mostly a roster of guys that weren't good enough to make the P5. There's no doubt you can identify some overlooked guys and diamonds in the rough...and there's also SOME value in having guys familiar with the system/coaches...but I think we've likely passed that threshold. I hope I'm wrong and/or I hope this is a 1st-year approach only.
For us specifically, we are clearly leaning hard on this avenue in the short term while we develop players we recruit. However, I think it is going to be a long term strategy for most P5 schools to look for very good G5 talent bring on board. In many ways, G5 will be the minor leagues for the P5.

There are guys Who come out of High School, never improve, and end up at smaller Schools, or lower Division Schools. Other guys come out of high School improve or get into the right system and end up in the NFL.
Case in point, Cody Schrader of Missouri. Played first two years at Div. III and Junior College, transferred to Missouri and had 2 very productive years in the SEC. As a running back, He was not drafted, but signed a Free Agent Contract (forget the Team). That team may have gotten a steal. High Effort guy Who can play special teams, catches the ball out of the backfield, and could get 10-15 touches a game in the right system.

Marlon was bigger … 6-2 … and more like 340+ … it was a shame he didn’t get to use all his eligibility.

There are guys Who come out of High School, never improve, and end up at smaller Schools, or lower Division Schools. Other guys come out of high School improve or get into the right system and end up in the NFL.
Case in point, Cody Schrader of Missouri. Played first two years at Div. III and Junior College, transferred to Missouri and had 2 very productive years in the SEC. As a running back, He was not drafted, but signed a Free Agent Contract (forget the Team). That team may have gotten a steal. High Effort guy Who can play special teams, catches the ball out of the backfield, and could get 10-15 touches a game in the right system.
I know they happen. But we have what, 40 G6 guys on our roster now? Am I wrong about that number? I might be. But if I'm not, the percentages are not in our favor.

I also remember passing him as I was walking from the Geology Building to the Union one day. Let's just say you couldn't miss him! LOL. Corso moved him to OL after a couple of years at DT? iirc. He found a home at OT and played well for the Holiday Bowl Team in 1979. It would take a DE a week to get around him. VBG. I think he was closer to 380-400 lbs in his final playing days. They say he was a good man...RIP Big M!
Some girls I knew in the dorm knew him from Evansville. They said he was a good guy.

Kind of an interesting compare and contrast with the basketball program and its strategy.
Football - recruiting Sun Belt guys and banking on the coaching to be the difference-maker.
Basketball - recruiting high level guys and hoping they can carry the coach. So far, that’s been a big fail.

Coaching matters. Football isn’t expected to become elite right now. The immediate goal is to get out of the basement, be fundamentally sound and compete with the other 75% of the conference. The top 25% are difficult for most teams in the conference to knock off.

Kind of an interesting compare and contrast with the basketball program and its strategy.
Football - recruiting Sun Belt guys and banking on the coaching to be the difference-maker.
Basketball - recruiting high level guys and hoping they can carry the coach. So far, that’s been a big fail.

Coaching matters. Football isn’t expected to become elite right now. The immediate goal is to get out of the basement, be fundamentally sound and compete with the other 75% of the conference. The top 25% are difficult for most teams in the conference to knock off.
Baby steps, BRCB. Baby steps:)

I'll take a motivated player from the Sun Belt over a pampered 4 star P5 bench player any day.

I don't understand people who don't get that lower 'star' players are making the NFL every year.t Cig has shown he can identify talent and has the coaching chops that make a difference.

Do these morons think we're going to get a winning P5 or P4 coach to come here? Are they happy with the results of promoting Coordinators to HC so far?

Real organization for details applied to every offensive possession is my dream. The D will fire on adrenaline, pissed off and aggression until backup rotational support is established. Just hope there is enough depth to not get wore down as Allen's boys were so prone to do. We'll need lots of points, is my fear.

Real organization for details applied to every offensive possession is my dream. The D will fire on adrenaline, pissed off and aggression until backup rotational support is established. Just hope there is enough depth to not get wore down as Allen's boys were so prone to do. We'll need lots of points, is my fear.
If we pull this Alabama player to IU then the DL will be in good shape this year with plenty of rotation of DL this season.

This is the first year the basketball program went all in using the portal to build the roster with high major, proven talent.

I've posted elsewhere that my primary take from the spring game was that they looked organized. It was so refreshing to see guys out there who knew what they were doing. ICBW, but I don't remember a single false start or blown offensive play.
You are right about how the team looked in the Spring game. It was also clear how hard the team played.

I've posted elsewhere that my primary take from the spring game was that they looked organized. It was so refreshing to see guys out there who knew what they were doing. ICBW, but I don't remember a single false start or blown offensive play.
Yes your eyes saw what you reported. Gotta be that Saban "it" factor absorbed by a good manager by the name of Cignetti. The details from that ability to process information and organize it to be digested are going to make up for whatever deficiencies there is in talent and depth till there is + momentum. This may be as satisfying a ride as 1987. Felt damn good too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT