ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Commitment List

IU_Hickory

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2017
Rivals really needs to add a transfer commitment page on the drop down under FB recruiting (and BB recruiting for that matter).

With teams often adding just as many transfers as they do HS recruits, it would be useful.

Transfers so far

Offense
Kurtis Rourke, QB
Kaelon Black, RB
Justice Ellison, RB
Elijah Green, RB
TySon Lawton, RB
Miles Cross, WR
Myles Price, WR
Elijah Sarratt, WR
Ke'Shawn Williams, WR
Zach Horton, TE
Nick Kidwell, OL
Tyler Stephens, OL
Trey Wedig, OL

Defense
James Carpenter, DL
Mikail Kamara, DL
Tyrique Tucker, DL
CJ West, DL
Aiden Fisher, LB
Nahji Logan, LB
Jailin Walker, LB
D'Angelo Ponds, CB
DJ Warnell, CB
Shawn Asbury II, Safety
Terry Jones, Safety

Special Teams
Mark Langston, Long Snapper
Derek McCormick, K
Solomon Vanhorse, Returner

Rivals really needs to add a transfer commitment page on the drop down under FB recruiting (and BB recruiting for that matter).

With teams often adding just as many transfers as they do HS recruits, it would be useful.

Transfers so far

Offense
Kurtis Rourke, QB
Kaelon Black, RB
Justice Ellison, RB
Elijah Green, RB
TySon Lawton, RB
Miles Cross, WR
Myles Price, WR
Elijah Sarratt, WR
Ke'Shawn Williams, WR
Zach Horton, TE
Nick Kidwell, OL
Tyler Stephens, OL
Trey Wedig, OL

Defense
James Carpenter, DL
Mikail Kamara, DL
Tyrique Tucker, DL
CJ West, DL
Aiden Fisher, LB
Nahji Logan, LB
Jailin Walker, LB
D'Angelo Ponds, CB
DJ Warnell, CB
Shawn Asbury II, Safety
Terry Jones, Safety

Special Teams
Derek McCormick, K

Thanks for this listing. 247's portal rankings for the IU guys, fwiw:

1. Rourke.....#127
2. Sarrett.......167
3. West..........301
4. Cross.........370
5. Carpenter..395
6. Black,,,,,,,,,,396
7. Asbury........412
8. Green.........413
9. Price...........550
10. Kidwell......574
11. Walker.......579
12. Stephens..580
13. Ponds........660
13. Ellison........725
14. Wedig........746
15. Williams....752
16. Fisher........774
17. Jones.........777
18. Kamara.....930
19. Lawton......934
20. Horton.....944

I did not see Tucker, Logan or Warnell listed.

Wedig, Kamara, and Horton seem underrated. Horton, for example, looked like our #1 TE at the spring game.

I thought the same thing, the last time I looked at the commitment list under recruiting. Time to update this site to the current times of the transfer portal.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Transfers so far

Offense
Kurtis Rourke, QB
Kaelon Black, RB
Justice Ellison, RB
Elijah Green, RB
TySon Lawton, RB
Miles Cross, WR
Myles Price, WR
Elijah Sarratt, WR
Ke'Shawn Williams, WR
Zach Horton, TE
Nick Kidwell, OL
Tyler Stephens, OL
Trey Wedig, OL

Defense
James Carpenter, DL
Mikail Kamara, DL
Tyrique Tucker, DL
CJ West, DL
Aiden Fisher, LB
Nahji Logan, LB
Jailin Walker, LB
D'Angelo Ponds, CB
DJ Warnell, CB
Shawn Asbury II, Safety
Terry Jones, Safety

Special Teams
Derek McCormick, K
This is a great idea!! Just like you have a high school commitment page, we need a separate one for transfers.

Thanks for this listing. 247's portal rankings for the IU guys, fwiw:

1. Rourke.....#127
2. Sarrett.......167
3. West..........301
4. Cross.........370
5. Carpenter..395
6. Black,,,,,,,,,,396
7. Asbury........412
8. Green.........413
9. Price...........550
10. Kidwell......574
11. Walker.......579
12. Stephens..580
13. Ponds........660
13. Ellison........725
14. Wedig........746
15. Williams....752
16. Fisher........774
17. Jones.........777
18. Kamara.....930
19. Lawton......934
20. Horton.....944

I did not see Tucker, Logan or Warnell listed.

Wedig, Kamara, and Horton seem underrated. Horton, for example, looked like our #1 TE at the spring game.
Do I understand this list correctly? We had only two guys in the top 300 players in the transfer portal? Isn’t that awful? No wonder that one article had us 18th in the big ten.

Do I understand this list correctly? We had only two guys in the top 300 players in the transfer portal? Isn’t that awful? No wonder that one article had us 18th in the big ten.
Probably not unusual for the lower schools not part of the conference elites. Many of the players are transfers up. So, we’ll see. Not sure how they ranked them but some of the guys we got had some big suitors. When Ponds transferred in, he had a bunch of teams after him and was rated by On3 as the #2 CB in the portal. CJ West had high interest as well.

I understand the concern. I looked at some of our best performing transfers from last year to see where Rivals ranked them. Some who made an impact and their ranks are as follows:

Andre Carter #409
Jacob Mangum-Farrar #541
Philip Blidi #582
E.J. Williams #614
Lanell Carr #854
Kobe Minor #1057

Bottom line, you shouldn't take the rankings too seriously.

Ratings are simply a way for certain organizations or people to generate revenue and make a living while generating response from fans. If readings were ironclad accurate, every 5 Star a Team recruits would be 1st team all American or off to the NFL at the end of their Sophomore Year. Every 3 Star recruit would transfer to a lower division of Football or be off a roster by the start of their Junior Year as younger talent was brought in. None of these guys have played a down of football for Us in the new system. Don't read too much into ratings, It's like judging a Beauty Contest. Judging is Subjective and Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.

I'll add a couple of other comments to those already made.

I believe the transfer ratings tend to favor kids highly ranked out of HS who underachieved v. kids not highly ranked coming out of HS who stood out at the mid-major level. It's just easier to rank kids when you have a starting line of kids being highly ranked out of HS v. watching 100s of hours of tape on former 2*s.

Also, there are a lot of kids ranked as low as 800-900 going to P4 schools and high mid-majors. That starts to peter out when you get to 950 or so. I went back and looked, and #s 800-810 included kids going to TCT; TCU; Houston; Stanford; UCLA; Oregon St; Tx Tech; UCLA; and FSU. The other two were going to Nevada & Tulane. I also looked at players 890-900. They included guys going to Utah St.; Colorado St.; South Carolina; Michigan; Alabama, Minnesota; and Baylor.

I believe the transfer ratings tend to favor kids highly ranked out of HS who underachieved v. kids not highly ranked coming out of HS who stood out at the mid-major level. It's just easier to rank kids when you have a starting line of kids being highly ranked out of HS v. watching 100s of hours of tape on former 2*s.

Also, there are a lot of kids ranked as low as 800-900 going to P4 schools and high mid-majors. That starts to peter out when you get to 950 or so. I went back and looked, and #s 800-810 included kids going to TCT; TCU; Houston; Stanford; UCLA; Oregon St; Tx Tech; UCLA; and FSU. The other two were going to Nevada & Tulane. I also looked at players 890-900. They included guys going to Utah St.; Colorado St.; South Carolina; Michigan; Alabama, Minnesota; and Baylor.
Appreciate the analysis.

Some other little notes--My #s were from the 247 site. There is a second site ....ON3, which also ranks players, but only up to 302.

On that site, Ponds is listed at #116, Sarratt at #145, and Asbury at #231. Of interest, ex_IU DT Blidi is listed at #175 and DT recruiting target, Perry, at 186. That site shows IU & UL as possible landing spots.

Looking at ON 3s #s overall............OSU & Oregon together have 7 of the top 15 players committed....OSU has #s 1,3 & 6 as well as 15. Oregon has 3 of the top 15 and 8 of the top 100.

BT schools overall on ON3 top 302: Washington 12; Oregon 10; USC 8; OSU & Wisconsin 5; PSU, MSU, MN, IU, Purdue & UCLA 3; NEB & ILL 2; Michigan & RUT 1; and NW, MD, and Iowa 0. Big Ten teams overall had 32 of the top 100.

Some other little notes--My #s were from the 247 site. There is a second site ....ON3, which also ranks players, but only up to 302.

On that site, Ponds is listed at #116, Sarratt at #145, and Asbury at #231. Of interest, ex_IU DT Blidi is listed at #175 and DT recruiting target, Perry, at 186. That site shows IU & UL as possible landing spots.

Looking at ON 3s #s overall............OSU & Oregon together have 7 of the top 15 players committed....OSU has #s 1,3 & 6 as well as 15. Oregon has 3 of the top 15 and 8 of the top 100.

BT schools overall on ON3 top 302: Washington 12; Oregon 10; USC 8; OSU & Wisconsin 5; PSU, MSU, MN, IU, Purdue & UCLA 3; NEB & ILL 2; Michigan & RUT 1; and NW, MD, and Iowa 0. Big Ten teams overall had 32 of the top 100.
Are all 4 newcomers flush with NIL cash? How in the world did uDub land 12? Oregon 10 because they have cool uniforms? And USC 8? Damn boys and girls, CCC better be what we think (and hope) he is or this is going to be monumentally embarrassing.

While this is generally true, rankings are also weighted towards players with more eligibility. Just like a ranking out of high school is ranking based on expected production that will translate into their future prospects (5* graded as expected day 1 draft prospects, next bunch day 2 prospects, next day 3 with UDFA thrown in after), transfer are treating similarly with guys having more eligibility will be ranked higher. Now I haven't done exhaustive research on this but no 247 top-10 transfer has less than 2 years of eligibility and only a handful of the top-25 have a single year left.

247 goes into their recruit ranking methodology in this article and into how they do their transfers here where they note that they've noticed transfer production matching up with their original high school projections and leaning their grading that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT