ADVERTISEMENT

Your move ..

My bad, I was doing too many things at once. Okay, will do, but it's late, I got to get some sleep.. I'll post an updated board in the morning, er, afternoon. We're getting near end game - finish tomorrow if we can? Hope that's okay ..
Also, this is fun. You may need to organize an OTF Chess tournament in the near future.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Nope. Since this is an honest mistake of graphics, and not just dumbassery, let's delete move 21. Go back and fix your board. My queen is on e5 from 19...Qe5+. You moved your King, but forgot to move my Queen.

After you get the pieces all fixed, post it, and we'll make sure we agree where everything is, and then you can post your real move 21.

Here's at least an updated board. It should be correct. Thanks btw, and there's no way I would make that move. Jesus ..

Move 21.

diagram_of_chess_board_setup3.jpg

Sounds good. Put your Q back on a6 and start with move 21.

Sorry for making you play it out, but until one of us gets into guaranteed mate area, I like to keep going. I've been playing for a long, long time, but I'm not good enough to just assume anything. Every time I play a game out near the end, I learn something, even if it appears hopeless.

(Plus, I think the last few moves show my position was stronger than you gave me credit for.)
It's fine, I need practice with end game too. I'm thinking about getting back into playing. I've actually enjoyed this. I have no doubt your position was good, you've controlled center a majority of the game.

BTW @toastedbread all of my sacs had concrete follow-ups so far, but TMP did a good job of countering them to take away what I was trying to do. Sloppy play on my part, I suppose, but you have to give me credit for keeping the game so close considering. He has a material advantage, but basically no development outside his Queen. I had multiple avenues for easy mate that he countered. If I was playing someone slightly less experienced than TMP, I think those moves would have worked.

BTW @toastedbread all of my sacs had concrete follow-ups so far, but TMP did a good job of countering them to take away what I was trying to do. Sloppy play on my part, I suppose, but you have to give me credit for keeping the game so close considering. He has a material advantage, but basically no development outside his Queen. I had multiple avenues for easy mate that he countered. If I was playing someone slightly less experienced than TMP, I think those moves would have worked.

By concrete followup I mean a forced variation that is in your favor.

Objectively you are losing right now although I give you credit for developing your pieces and being aggressive. At the moment your king maybe your second strongest piece lol. If TMP plays inaccurately here your king could become useful.

Objectively you are losing right now although I give you credit for developing your pieces and being aggressive. At the moment your king maybe your second strongest piece lol. If TMP plays inaccurately here your king could become useful.
This is that tricky area I've always been in. Good enough to understand, not good enough to really control. If TMP were a true beginner, any one of those moves I tried would have worked. If I were a true expert, I probably would have come up with something better (or, in hindsight, I could have done what I did but in about two fewer moves, if I had planned further ahead). It's a tough spot I'm in. When I play with someone who knows the rules, I beat them handily, and it's no challenge. When I play with someone who knows strategy, I have a tough time, and I hit my ceiling. I really think I'm at that point where I need a lot of practice to take the next step. Just not sure I have the time to dedicate to it. I hope I do. I love the game.

Edit: Also, it's funny, but even though I had a choice or two along the way, most of that King development was forced on me. I don't have a lot of experience using the King, so we'll see how that goes.

It's fine, I need practice with end game too. I'm thinking about getting back into playing. I've actually enjoyed this. I have no doubt your position was good, you've controlled center a majority of the game.
You did a good job of flanking me, and I lost some material because of it, but I still felt like every move you didn't go gxf3 was a waste, because your entire right flank was closed to anything as long as my Bishop and Queen were where they were. But that might have been tunnel vision on my part, and you'll make me pay. We'll find out in a couple of moves. I'll be surprised if this game lasts one more day (although, my online access tomorrow will be severely limited - see the other place for details).

You did a good job of flanking me, and I lost some material because of it, but I still felt like every move you didn't go gxf3 was a waste, because your entire right flank was closed to anything as long as my Bishop and Queen were where they were. But that might have been tunnel vision on my part, and you'll make me pay. We'll find out in a couple of moves. I'll be surprised if this game lasts one more day (although, my online access tomorrow will be severely limited - see the other place for details).

Hey, we'll take a short break if you don't mind. I may make a move or two later. fwiw - I really didn't plan on playing like we did the last two nights, I figured it would take us a couple weeks with only a couple moves a day, but I just couldn't stop.

That 3am quitting time two days ago fk'd my whole day up. I didn;t have any obligations but also didn't get out of bed til around 1 in the afternoon. I wouldn't mind a chess league and tourney at all, but social event organizer is just not my kind of thing.

Well, where the hell is my critique?

Hey, we'll take a short break if you don't mind. I may make a move or two later. fwiw - I really didn't plan on playing like we did the last two nights, I figured it would take us a couple weeks with only a couple moves a day, but I just couldn't stop.

That 3am quitting time two days ago fk'd my whole day up. I didn;t have any obligations but also didn't get out of bed til around 1 in the afternoon. I wouldn't mind a chess league and tourney at all, but social event organizer is just not my kind of thing.
I'll be without internet in a short while here, anyway, and won't be back online until late tomorrow, for the most part.

We both need more technical training and it's obvious. I believe our offensive ability is limited a bit by lack of technical knowledge. We both have at least "some" ability. I'm reacting more than anything and am not calculating very well, but that comes with just playing.

My new goal is to beat toast sometime this year. lol ..

I used to know I guy that was ranked and considered a master. We had the same supplier. He was in his 30's rode a bike, never had a driver's license. Literally lived in his mother's basement. Spent his time getting high, writing code, playing on usenet and building and using ham radios. He had an ME from some major University.... Cal Poly or Stanford..? ..

Super intelligent but socially dysfunctional. Strange dude. I got a draw on him once, made me proud, but more importantly I learned a lot from him in a short time. I was in my early 20's. Every time I picked up he was there playing chess.

Well, where the hell is my critique?

You played fairly well. Only major mistake I noticed was not taking the Knight on f6 immediately. You are on the mark that both of you need to improve your calculation. That's the most important thing in chess. If you can calculate more steps ahead compared to your opponent you will win the majority of the time. Also you have to understand the evaluation of the position you calculate.

Hard to tell from just this game, but I would estimate your current ability is somewhere between 1200-1400.

I've one question.... Do you all rake bunkers in this league? Because I noted a little McNutt in this post.

You played fairly well. Only major mistake I noticed was not taking the Knight on f6 immediately. You are on the mark that both of you need to improve your calculation. That's the most important thing in chess. If you can calculate more steps ahead compared to your opponent you will win the majority of the time. Also you have to understand the evaluation of the position you calculate.

Hard to tell from just this game, but I would estimate your current ability is somewhere between 1200-1400.
Thanks, that was actually more complimentary than I expected.

On f6 I remember my thinking process. He would make me move my queen, and trapped my Knight. Having no idea how he plays, and not having anything left on that flank developed, sans Queen, I moved Na3, I thought I needed my knight just to have something,. Generally, if a pawn up, I'll happily trade everything.

Edit: @toastedbread I see it dammit. It would have freed my other knight if he moves bishop. so it's no worse than what I already had.

I'm not calculating well, that's obvious because a majority of my play is reacting to Goat's moves. Even though I've taken more pieces, and created problems, he's basically dictated the game.

I never do well when I take the game back up. Like I said earlier it takes me months of consistent play until I can see the board again. Plus I need to learn a lot. I don't know enough theory. (for lack of better word.)

Give me a few weeks, months .. whatever it takes me to feel confident enough, and maybe play a match? You only get better playing people who are better.

Thanks, that was actually more complimentary than I expected.

On f6 I remember my thinking process. He would make me move my queen, and trapped my Knight. Having no idea how he plays, and not having anything left on that flank developed, sans Queen, I moved Na3, I thought I needed my knight just to have something,. Generally, if a pawn up, I'll happily trade everything.

Edit: @toastedbread I see it dammit. It would have freed my other knight if he moves bishop. so it's no worse than what I already had.

I'm not calculating well, that's obvious because a majority of my play is reacting to Goat's moves. Even though I've taken more pieces, and created problems, he's basically dictated the game.

I never do well when I take the game back up. Like I said earlier it takes me months of consistent play until I can see the board again. Plus I need to learn a lot. I don't know enough theory. (for lack of better word.)

Give me a few weeks, months .. whatever it takes me to feel confident enough, and maybe play a match? You only get better playing people who are better.

Eh you have basically been winning the entire game. Goat had some initiative and It might appear he is creating problems, but with best play he has been lost since Knight sacrifice. Also at the moment both of you sound like complete newbs i.e. flank is queenside or kingside. There is special chess terminology. It has been really funny reading both of your comments throughout the thread because for the most part neither of you have any idea what you are talking about lol. Tournament chess is completely different from playing at the coffee shop.

You both need to improve calculation.

http://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics.html

Use that for 30 mins per day for a couple months and you will see a big improvement in your calculation. Try to find the entire solution without making the first move. Don't cheat and guess. Your rating might go higher faster with the cheat method, but your calculation won't improve as much. Only cheat if there is clearly an Only move.

When calculating always start with the most forced moves. Checks, then captures, then threats.

Pattern recognition is absolutely crucial. Need to learn pins, forks, distraction, double check, smothered mates, etc.

And also you are right about playing to improve. And try to pick out some of your mistakes. If you link some of the games i'll check them and make comments.

I don't mind playing you sometime for fun, but generally you don't improve by playing someone more than 400 points higher rated than you. If you study 2-3 hours per day for the next 2 years then it might be interesting.

The 10,000 hour rule to mastery applies. You need a baseline of talent and then it's just hard work and repetition.

What most don't get is that a majority of what is learned, is learned quickly, probably in the first 2000 to 4000 hours. The rest is minutiae and focused practice.

I'm guessing I've solved 100s of thousands to 1 million puzzles. That's hours upon hours upon hours of nothing but solving puzzles. With the advent of computers it's super easy to improve now.

I'm guessing I've solved 100s of thousands to 1 million puzzles. That's hours upon hours upon hours of nothing but solving puzzles. With the advent of computers it's super easy to improve now.
Okay now you're full of shit again. You haven't solved anywhere near a million puzzles, unless you've been a professional full-time chess player for 50 years.

And there's nothing wrong with the word "flank." I appreciate you adding your knowledge to the discussion, but don't overreach.

Reactions: C-$
Okay now you're full of shit again. You haven't solved anywhere near a million puzzles, unless you've been a professional full-time chess player for 50 years.

And there's nothing wrong with the word "flank." I appreciate you adding your knowledge to the discussion, but don't overreach.

Ok Mr. Know it all.

The average problem that you should be working on like forks, double checks, scewers, mates in 1-2 take me on average less than 1 second. Granted I usually solve tougher puzzles. As an example a puzzle every 5 seconds even for 4 hours. That's over 3k puzzles right there. FYI, I started playing when I was 5. Now I don't know exactly how many hours I have spent solving puzzles. But it is a huge number. I would be very surprised if my puzzle # is under 500k. This is the same for any strong player.

If you call kingside and queenside 'left flank" and "right flank" people will be laughing their asses off at you.

Edit: and the main point was that both of you need to learn the proper terminology. Flank was just one example.

Last edited:
Ok Mr. Know it all.

The average problem that you should be working on like forks, double checks, scewers, mates in 1-2 take me on average less than 1 second. Granted I usually solve tougher puzzles. As an example a puzzle every 5 seconds even for 4 hours. That's over 3k puzzles right there. FYI, I started playing when I was 5. Now I don't know exactly how many hours I have spent solving puzzles. But it is a huge number. I would be very surprised if my puzzle # is under 500k. This is the same for any strong player.

If you call kingside and queenside 'left flank" and "right flank" people will be laughing their asses off at you.

Edit: and the main point was that both of you need to learn the proper terminology. Flank was just one example.
So what are you, Rain Man? I'm back to not liking you.

Ok Mr. Know it all.

So what are you, Rain Man? I'm back to not liking you.
why cant we just get along? Snicker....

why cant we just get along? Snicker....
You planning on moving tonight? I'd be willing to call this game an unofficial draw and drop it, but if you think you can win - and I think you can - I'd much prefer to play out at least a few more moves, just for learning purposes. Looking back, I see where I made mistakes already, but like you, I need practice on my end game. I'll never learn if I just tip my king over every time I fall behind.

You planning on moving tonight? I'd be willing to call this game an unofficial draw and drop it, but if you think you can win - and I think you can - I'd much prefer to play out at least a few more moves, just for learning purposes. Looking back, I see where I made mistakes already, but like you, I need practice on my end game. I'll never learn if I just tip my king over every time I fall behind.
Yea i should be good mid evening for a bit.

Ok Mr. Know it all.

of course. I will do a terminolgy lesson first. VBSEG....

@TheOriginalHappyGoat - this is correct?

fwiw - I didn't get to do my terminology study because I had to educate IUJIM on America's place in WW2.

Move 21.

diagram_of_chess_board_setup3.jpg

If correct, and I believe it is..

Move 21. Qxc4

diagram_of_chess_board_setup4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT