ADVERTISEMENT

Your move ..

Me too....I am usually focusing on center control, G4 square for queen, f4 bishop, and ultimately looking at f7 (when I am white). I have been playing the Kings gambit against my buddy, and he always declines. Prob not the best opening, but it is aggressive, and fun to play.

Center is the most important part of the board. f2 and f7 are the two weakest squares in the starting position. If castling kingside h2 and h7 become weakest as far as attacking the king.

Don't bring out the queen early.

I think you are talking about Bishop to c4 and Qh5 to mate on f7. That's called the scholars mate.

Reactions: FL33
Goddammit.

First of all, I really do have a lot to do tomorrow, and now I have to fit in listening to Dakich.

Also, I'm always bored.

@T.M.P. you're in charge of the graphics.

2. ... Nc6
Cool. My former roommates and I used to just leave a board out and make moves whenever. I have no plans of finishing this tonight or even this week, but if you get bored, make a move.

Center is the most important part of the board. f2 and f7 are the two weakest squares in the starting position. If castling kingside h2 and h7 become weakest as far as attacking the king.

Don't bring out the queen early.

I think you are talking about Bishop to c4 and Qh5 to mate on f7. That's called the scholars mate.
No, nobody falls for the scholar' mate...well maybe my wife. Queen shouldn't come out early, but G4 is an important square in the mid game. Bishop to c4 is what I meant to say, not f4. Ultimately focus on f7, blacks weakest square..all the while developing Knights.

@T.M.P. you're in charge of the graphics.

2. ... Nc6

1. e5 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5
diagram_of_chess_board_setup.png

Troy is Leroy Jenkins....
That's a good analogy.

1. e5 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 d6
4. c3 Nf6

I'm done for now, it's my move. I may make it later if I can.

diagram_of_chess_board_setup2.jpg
You've got several options here, and I know what my next move is for all of them (the advantage to not being in charge of graphics is I've already planned for your next move). But after that, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, too. So this could get ugly fast. Putting this on display could disabuse our fellow posters of the notion that we're the smart ones.

That's a good analogy.

You've got several options here, and I know what my next move is for all of them (the advantage to not being in charge of graphics is I've already planned for your next move). But after that, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, too. So this could get ugly fast. Putting this on display could disabuse our fellow posters of the notion that we're the smart ones.
I know and this is where playing a RL gets nasty for me. the next three moves are crucial. So, yea I pussied out a bit. lol.

When I made this original post, I guessed that if I opened with kings pawn most would go Sicilian D. Pure guess, but I was correct. General asshole nature of the board and all. (no offense to DN intended) fwiw - I hate playing against a defensive minded player that plays it well. I always tried this opening against it .. it speeds them up a bit.

Last edited:
That's a good analogy.

1. e5 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 d6
4. c3 Nf6
5. Qc2

diagram_of_chess_board_setup2.jpg

I'm a nationally ranked tournament player so please forgive me for finding this game a bit humorous. :D
Nationally ranked where? Transylvania?

No, but seriously, we're both going to embarrass ourselves here shortly, I'm sure, but no need for you to jump the gun. TMP made a mistake with 5.Qc2, and I'm already regretting my move (it looks more aggressive, but I think 5...Bd7 might have actually set me up for earlier offense), but this game isn't a clusterf*** quite yet.

Especially the board pictures after each turn. :D
Those are for the spectators, I'm sure. TMP and I could easily just have boards next to our desks.

Nationally ranked where? Transylvania?

U.S.

I haven't played a tournament in about 6 months, but last I checked I was around #200. My rating is almost 2400. In general I don't enjoy playing that much anymore because 1. The enjoyment I get from wins isn't equivalent to the dread of losses. 2. It's way too much work now and way too computer oriented. I don't feel like having to prepare for 4 hours just to get a playable position. There is very little opening creativity now. You get the same structures in every game. The only creativity now is who can find a novelty with their computer engine and surprise their opponent on the board.

I'm a big fan of chess960, which unfortunately isn't very popular.

Actually you both are playing better than I expected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT