ADVERTISEMENT

Your Final Ranking

neigo

Junior
Feb 14, 2016
What is your final ranking of this IU team. I stand to be corrected. Maybe we could come up with teams that we all agree are better. My final ranking is IU ended up the 10th best team in the country. I will throw out two teams to start with is UNC and MSU. One team that i do not think was as good as us was Virginia.

What is your final ranking of this IU team. I stand to be corrected. Maybe we could come up with teams that we all agree are better. My final ranking is IU ended up the 10th best team in the country. I will throw out two teams to start with is UNC and MSU. One team that i do not think was as good as us was Virginia.
Virginia would give us fits I think because they play a lot like wisky does. I would say we are in the 10-15 range

Reactions: shooter1977
Good point about Virginia. I just dont think their defense is as good as our offense. And they are challenged to score at times.

Two other teams that I feel are better than us is Oklahoma and Nova. We could play then 10 times and be lucky to beat them twice.

Yeah, MSU, Kansas, Oklahoma, UNC and Villanova are the 5 teams IU would've struggled to compete with.

Beyond that, I get the reason why ACC fans are big on Virginia but that style of basketball is foreign to them (for now). It's common for Big Ten teams since its basically Wisconsin re-incarnate. They may have given us fits but I would've thought they were in that second tier with us. Virginia, Oregon, Miami, Xavier, WV and maybe just maybe Duke.

UVA would eat us alive with their defense. There is a reason Tony Bennett is 45-9 in the ACC over the last three seasons without a single Top 50 recruit. As would teams like Miami, Oregon, Syracuse and West Virginia that are physical and play good defense.

Reactions: russelltodd
There are 4 teams that are top-20 in both off and def on Kenpom. They are Kansas, Villanova, Oklahoma, and Virginia. Those teams were all clearly better than us. North Carolina is right on the cusp of that group, and good performances next week would likely push them into that group too.

The next group has about 15-20 teams, any of whom could beat anyone on a given night, and all of whom would probably play each other close over a series. That group includes us, and several other teams we played this year, including MSU, Purdue, Kentucky, and Duke.

You could rank those teams just about anywhere in that range and make a reasonable case for it. They all have notable strengths and weaknesses. Kenpom has us 15th, with a chance for Syracuse to jump us.

I feel we could have handled the ducks as often as they would beat us. I feel we could have beaten at least 6 or 7 teams of the sweet sixteen. I quess there is no way of knowing for sure. I will make one more qualifier that is with a healthy Robert. Kansas was missing one of their top 8 players and it hurt them also.

Virginia has struggled outside of the ACC in the tournament for as good as they have been during the year little bit like Wisconsin until the last couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT