ADVERTISEMENT

XJ what do you expect?

Fully expect X to be near the expectations Coach Woodson envisions and coaches. He and Trey will be hard for opponents to control.
This season is actually one of the ones I'm most anxious and excited for, in a long time. And a big part of that is how will Woody choose to play with this group of players? He's talked about wanting to pick up the pace, play more outside/in, etc... But our depth is with bigger guys, can/will he shift and play that way with how thin we are in the backcourt?

I think X and Trey could be the best backcourt in the B10, if they were coached, encouraged, allowed, to play faster and more freely. And I think Kelel and Mack would benefit from a more open, up tempo style. Gunn would likely thrive. Cupps would be comfortable with it. Banks could use his length and athleticism more.

But the gravity feels like its pulling for a slower, run the ball through Malik, protect X more...type of style and overall play. I hope that doesn't happen. Obviously we needed to replace TJD, Race, Logan, and Jordan...and Woody did a great job, I think, of doing that. But we also do need some more dudes on the perimeter. I've argued with Bailey on that topic, but mainly I was against the need to "reach" for perimeter guys. We have 2-3 really good ones. But we do need more than that. And I think Woody needs to force it now with a change in style of play.

This season is actually one of the ones I'm most anxious and excited for, in a long time. And a big part of that is how will Woody choose to play with this group of players? He's talked about wanting to pick up the pace, play more outside/in, etc... But our depth is with bigger guys, can/will he shift and play that way with how thin we are in the backcourt?

I think X and Trey could be the best backcourt in the B10, if they were coached, encouraged, allowed, to play faster and more freely. And I think Kelel and Mack would benefit from a more open, up tempo style. Gunn would likely thrive. Cupps would be comfortable with it. Banks could use his length and athleticism more.

But the gravity feels like its pulling for a slower, run the ball through Malik, protect X more...type of style and overall play. I hope that doesn't happen. Obviously we needed to replace TJD, Race, Logan, and Jordan...and Woody did a great job, I think, of doing that. But we also do need some more dudes on the perimeter. I've argued with Bailey on that topic, but mainly I was against the need to "reach" for perimeter guys. We have 2-3 really good ones. But we do need more than that. And I think Woody needs to force it now with a change in style of play.
Mirrors my assessment pretty close. I'm beginning to think the best coaching task Coach Woodson can accomplish this season is to shape Leal to be a viable, potent and consistent addition to a 7-8 man rotation. Some decades ago players not garnering large amounts of PT reliably carried their share of the load as Seniors. I believe him possibly as that intangible piece. Hope so, sure would help.

Yes. X was media honorable mention all big ten 2 years ago. You know, the only full year he played.

You maybe right about Cupps being physically ready. Braden however is quite possibly the worst on ball defender I watched all of last year. He will always flash some offensively. But imo until he can defend at a higher level I wouldn’t want him starting. I am more than happy to have JHS over Braden last year and Cupps now. Braden would have made Bates and Geronimo look like lock down defenders and they couldn’t stay on the floor for IU because of their poor defense.
it may be a bit unfair to "over judge" freshmen pg's defensive abilities in the B10. it is an incredible adjustment. let's see how these guys do as they gain more experience.

it may be a bit unfair to "over judge" freshmen pg's defensive abilities in the B10. it is an incredible adjustment. let's see how these guys do as they gain more experience.
Last year we had a 6'5, 200 plus pound freshman guard who was pretty average/bad defensively. We shouldn't expect Cupps to be lock down, no. But I suspect he'll be a guy that, for the most part, is good positionally, keeps his man in front of him until strength and physicality take over, and is decent in rotations. But he'll struggle with the speed and physicality, I'm sure.

If he can be solid positionally, and if he can keep from getting blow buy early in sequences, he'll be fine, overall.

I expect X to have some games where he gets all hyped up defensively and commits some silly fouls and ends up in foul trouble. Other than that he should be pretty good but after an entire season out for the most part, I wonder what shooting .pct might be.

I expect X to have some games where he gets all hyped up defensively and commits some silly fouls and ends up in foul trouble. Other than that he should be pretty good but after an entire season out for the most part, I wonder what shooting .pct might be.
He'll be hyped like that, from sitting out, for the first game...and then for the first couple "big" games. It won't likely be a dynamic that lasts all season.

As much as anything else, we need him leading the team with a fiery, dawg, defensive mindset. I'll take some of his X-like offensive mistakes, if it means he's locked in defensively most of the time.

Reactions: kkott
I mean I didn’t think I was over judging. In my opinion he was the worst on ball defender I watched last year. For what it’s worth I felt the same way about lander for as long as he was with IU. I do believe he will improve defensively, I just don’t think he will ever be considered a good defender. Could be wrong for sure.

If X can average 8+ assists per game, where do you put the Hoosiers record?

Anybody know the Hoosier single season record for apg?

Besides winning games, that should be Xs number 1 goal.

I mean I didn’t think I was over judging. In my opinion he was the worst on ball defender I watched last year. For what it’s worth I felt the same way about lander for as long as he was with IU. I do believe he will improve defensively, I just don’t think he will ever be considered a good defender. Could be wrong for sure.
not calling you out, just suggesting patience.
if smith doesn't progress, we should go right at him.
much like other teams will go at Cupps this year when given the opp.

You rang?? I texted this article to X. He insta responded. “Keeping receipts”.
He always has these responses on Twitter, etc. Whatever works… put up or shut up. His biggest obstacle is between his own two ears.

He’s improved a lot since arriving at IU, and I hope he has a nice final run.

Reactions: bkiefer7
If X can average 8+ assists per game, where do you put the Hoosiers record?

Anybody know the Hoosier single season record for apg?

Besides winning games, that should be Xs number 1 goal.
If IU relies on him to dribble the nipples off the ball and score they are in trouble. He needs to mesh and work off the pick and roll with a big/Ware asap.

He’s not Iverson or Kemba.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hatchets7times
If IU relies on him to dribble the nipples off the ball and score they are in trouble. He needs to mesh and work of the pick and roll with a big/Ware asap.

He’s not Iverson or Kemba.
I've said it before..
I kinda hate everything about his game on offense...On D he's pretty good ..
But he's like 30 ..A hanger on..
At other schools he'd been pushed out or recruited over...

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He always has these responses on Twitter, etc. Whatever works… put up or shut up. His biggest obstacle is between his own two ears.

He’s improved a lot since arriving at IU, and I hope he has a nice final run.
...like he learned to do with Trayce...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT