ADVERTISEMENT

Would 3-1 to close the season change your mind?

I just don't get this mindset from "fans".

We went on the road to #10 and were tied with 3 minutes left.

Our remaining schedule is #29, #64, #65, #75. Yet before we even play, you "guess we will win 1".

Why even watch?
I've asked myself that question for years.
Just keep hoping and watching against all logic.

Are you watching the Purdue game? They look pretty hopeless today. MSU, same. Now, I don't see another opportunity though.
Unfortunately, PU will right the ship long before IU gets
the boat out of dry dock in Bloomington.

Our remaining schedule is #29, #64, #65, #75. Yet before we even play, you "guess we will win 1".

Why even watch?
I'll watch, but I've also seen this team play Akron and Rutgers, and also seen IU many times play tough against good teams but not as well against not as good teams.

Why even watch?
It's pretty obvious the man's in way over his head. He's got to go.

Reactions: bang63 and jsenleo
It's pretty obvious the man's in way over his head. He's got to go.
He had us tied in Happy Valley with 3 minute to go against a PSU team that beat Iowa by 31, Northwestern by 28, Illinois by 17.

Had a #15 Louisville on the ropes in a neutral field game. Louisville is ranked 15th with a 13 point win over ND.

He had us tied in Happy Valley with 3 minute to go against a PSU team that beat Iowa by 31, Northwestern by 28, Illinois by 17.

Had a #15 Louisville on the ropes in a neutral field game. Louisville is ranked 15th with a 13 point win over ND.
We’ve lost 21 of our last 23 Big Ten games, 16 of them by double digits. Being satisfied with very occasional close losses isn’t the way to build a sustainably winning program.

So what. IU still lost both games. Maryland beat IU by 27 and that program is in a tailspin now.

You must like playing horseshoes....

football isn't horseshoes.

Reactions: bang63
Unfortunately, PU will right the ship long before IU gets
the boat out of dry dock in Bloomington.
That would be my gut feel. That said, Purdue looks considerably worse at this point than they did earlier on. Right now, they appear to be doing the opposite of righting the ship. N

We’ve lost 21 of our last 23 Big Ten games, 16 of them by double digits. Being satisfied with very occasional close losses isn’t the way to build a sustainably winning program.
You weren't satisfied with the team's performance in Happy Valley?

What are the expectations then?

If we go 6-6, that’s a minor bowl and he’s as safe as can be. But he’s not now nor will he ever be a program builder, so we’re just postponing the inevitable.

How can you possibly be satisfied with a loss? They don't count moral victories in the win column.

I don't think ultimately with the administration and finances it matters although keeping him another year like i think they will because of the buyout this year will not bother me as much if development continues. We definitely need some real special team's improvement.

The offense and defense both seem to have decent game plans and executed better. I do believe that we gambled on stopping the run and forcing them to pass was good although it hurt us at the end. We did score 24 points on somebody that had previously shutout their opponents at home.

Again I am not happy and think changes are needed. I could see the administration making the 10 million dollar change in basketball but don't see the same passion to make a 20 million dollar change in football.
Maybe the answer is for the admin to quit offering 10 and 20 M buy outs?

Reactions: Shuski

Satisfied with a loss? Never. Why is a loss satisfying for you?

Expectations? To have a sustainably winning program. We’ve lost 21 of our last 23, including 16 by double digits. I liked our stretches of improved play, but we fell apart at the end.

A question for you: What other part of the University do we achieve at a level where we’re considered one of the “worst” among other universities, and where we would consider the equivalent of 2-21 “satisfying”? I assume you’re an alumnus, friend, fan, benefactor, employee (or some combination of those) of IU, and that you genuinely care about the University. If I’m correct, would you tolerate something even close to our historical or present day ineptitude in football in any other aspect of the University? Academics? Libraries? Student services and counseling? Fund raising? Financial integrity? Physical plant? Food services? Diversity? Leadership? There are literally hundreds of aspects of the University where most of us wouldn’t tolerate mediocrity, let alone abject failure, yet you wonder why, in spite of this, I and others aren’t satisfied because we lost by fewer points?

In that case you'd be able to make the upward trend argument: 2-10, 4-8, 5-7. In such a scenario, if it were up to me to decide and the contract wasn't a factor...meh I guess I'd do one more year.

If they lose out say your goodbyes. Eat the money. Stick a fork in it. I don't think they will lose out though. They won't win out either. 1 or 2 wins seems most likely.

3-9 in light of the current contract and current administration...idk if they pull the trigger. Maybe? But maybe not.

4-8 again? I doubt they pull the trigger.

I could be wrong though, I just work here.

Expectations? To have a sustainably winning program. We’ve lost 21 of our last 23, including 16 by double digits. I liked our stretches of improved play, but we fell apart at the end.

A question for you: What other part of the University do we achieve at a level where we’re considered one of the “worst” among other universities, and where we would consider the equivalent of 2-21 “satisfying”? I assume you’re an alumnus, friend, fan, benefactor, employee (or some combination of those) of IU, and that you genuinely care about the University. If I’m correct, would you tolerate something even close to our historical or present day ineptitude in football in any other aspect of the University? Academics? Libraries? Student services and counseling? Fund raising? Financial integrity? Physical plant? Food services? Diversity? Leadership? There are literally hundreds of aspects of the University where most of us wouldn’t tolerate mediocrity, let alone abject failure, yet you wonder why, in spite of this, I and others aren’t satisfied because we lost by fewer points?
Yada yada yada

coach speak regurgitated

he did not ask you if you were satisfied with a win or a loss and he did not say he was satisfied with a loss either

he asked you about the PERFORMANCE of the team - a completely different question

you ignored his actual question so you could spout off trite meaningless non responsive BS -as always

truth is, you probably can’t tell the difference between a good performance and a bad performance – so all you talk about is whether we won or lost the game.

“Leave the ball, will ya, George?”

Reactions: hoosierfan13

You can be disappointed that you didn't win the game but still be happy with your team's effort.

To declare it a failure because we only beat expectations by 21 points instead of 33 points is wild.

Yada yada yada

coach speak regurgitated

he did not ask you if you were satisfied with a win or a loss and he did not say he was satisfied with a loss either

he asked you about the PERFORMANCE of the team - a completely different question

you ignored his actual question so you could spout off trite meaningless non responsive BS -as always

truth is, you probably can’t tell the difference between a good performance and a bad performance – so all you talk about is whether we won or lost the game.

“Leave the ball, will ya, George?”
You really shouldn’t lecture anyone about posting trite, meaningless, non-responsive BS. You’re the King of that genre. And you need to learn to read both his and my post a bit closer next time . . .

Was I satisfied with the team’s performance Saturday? Of course not, since we lost. Did we play better, at least in spots? Of course, but it wasn’t nearly good enough. But you can be happy with being close , since you’ve never shown you understand the difference between good and poor play.

Now, go back to your cliche manual for your next illuminating post.

You can be disappointed that you didn't win the game but still be happy with your team's effort.

To declare it a failure because we only beat expectations by 21 points instead of 33 points is wild.
This is obviously a very pessimistic point of view...but I think us being in that game as late as we were, said a lot more about how Penn State isn't a legit top 10 team right now, than it did us playing overly well. In fact, we made too many horrible mistakes to say we "played well". Penn State didn't capitalize on those mistakes, for whatever reason. Partly, I'm sure, because we played better than they expected. But mostly, I'm sure, because it was a noon game against Indiana. Those are the games players stay out a little later, party a little harder, pay a little less attention during practice the week before...types of games. And it showed.

The ending completely erased any warm and fuzzy thoughts I had about how competitive the game was leading up to it. So NO, to answer your question. We beat the spread against OSU as well, and still basically lost to Akron, and got thumped by Maryland and Rutgers. So NO.

Reactions: Vern Pain
If we end the year with 5 wins Dolson will probably give him an extension and raise.
I have zero faith in Dolson,he’s in over his head as bad or worse than Allen.

Reactions: kmathum
Pretty sure the buy-out rules but no insider info. A couple B1G wins will ease the pain of another year for me. Got to see the wins though. Go Hoosiers!
Very disappointed in the overall outlook.

With The way they played against PSU then 4-0 over the next 4 is the expectation. Really no excuses. The next 4 teams don't have 1. High powered offenses or 2. Top defenses. They are all slightly above average to terrible.

wrap your head around 1991 Copper Bowl as the last bowl win; if the goal is occasionally making a shitty ass bowl game, not necessarily even winning it, I could see a 2-2 finish keeping him around. Thats how low expectations are.

As much as I would love to see us go 3-1. I can't see us beating Wisconsin. But I do see us beating MSU and PU and Illinois. I think that would be an accomplishment considering you start the season with 2 quarterbacks that had 10 plays between them. You again lose your top receivers. Your best running back misses a few games and you fire your offensive coordinator in season. However as I stated before this fan base has given up on Allen and will not ever support him. Even if by some miracle they do end up winning all 4 games and qualifying for a bowl game.
I do believe if he does win out he and his staff deserve next year. But the expectation needs to be higher than 6-6.

As much as I would love to see us go 3-1. I can't see us beating Wisconsin. But I do see us beating MSU and PU and Illinois. I think that would be an accomplishment considering you start the season with 2 quarterbacks that had 10 plays between them. You again lose your top receivers. Your best running back misses a few games and you fire your offensive coordinator in season. However as I stated before this fan base has given up on Allen and will not ever support him. Even if by some miracle they do end up winning all 4 games and qualifying for a bowl game.
I do believe if he does win out he and his staff deserve next year. But the expectation needs to be higher than 6-6.
Thinking realistically...if we play decent and lose a close one to Wisconsin... and then play fairly well and win the last 3... combine those games with competitive games against OSU and PSU...as much as I DO NOT like CTA as our coach any more...he probably would deserve to be retained for another year. Assuming that implies Carey, Bostad, etc... are also back in their same roles.

I personally wouldn't retain him, at this point, pretty much no matter what he does. But that's incredibly easy for me to say from behind my keyboard. To me, the verdict is in on Allen as a major head coach. And the possibility of him having assistants that can boost him up to adequate levels, wouldn't be enough, for me, to retain him. But I'm sure it would be for our admin...with the 20 million dollar buyout playing no small role.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Special teams is obviously a problem, but IU played its best football of the season today. Carey's (and Bostad's) impact was evident, defense made some great plays, and we looked like a football team out there in a hostile environment against the #10 team in the country.

Prior to today's game, it was clear where most stood, myself included, regarding CTA's future at IU, particularly after last week's Homecoming debacle versus Rutgers. But if IU were to go 3-1 over the final four games and finish 5-7, would opinions change? Or do you believe anything less than a bowl season should seal his fate?

Please weigh in.
I felt like it was our best overall game since 2019, although we've had a half or two since then where we were better. I've bashed CTA as much as anyone but he did get the best out of his guys on Saturday.

The 3rd and 8 call was horrible. The STs muffed punt was bad, but we just don't have a trustworthy PR....it happens. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Saturday. I think the bomb and the safety are just examples where their guy was better than ours. The bomb was a very unlikely connection (the way the ball was thrown).....their WR made a heck of a play.

My opinion would change were we to go 3-1 and look decent doing so....but that seems very unlikely.

Thinking realistically...if we play decent and lose a close one to Wisconsin... and then play fairly well and win the last 3... combine those games with competitive games against OSU and PSU...as much as I DO NOT like CTA as our coach any more...he probably would deserve to be retained for another year. Assuming that implies Carey, Bostad, etc... are also back in their same roles.

I personally wouldn't retain him, at this point, pretty much no matter what he does. But that's incredibly easy for me to say from behind my keyboard. To me, the verdict is in on Allen as a major head coach. And the possibility of him having assistants that can boost him up to adequate levels, wouldn't be enough, for me, to retain him. But I'm sure it would be for our admin...with the 20 million dollar buyout playing no small role.
I know you have been very vocal in your disappointment in Allen and IU football. I understand it has been very underwhelming for sure. However if you truly look at the schedule they have 3 losses you knew they would have in Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State and yet they had some great moments in those games and played much better than people believed. Then you have the Louisville game in which they were one yard from tying the game. Who believed Louisville would go on and beat Notre Dame and be 7-1 at this point of the season. The Maryland and Rutgers games many thought we should win , but we laid eggs in both of those games. Which is completely is unforgivable. It seems to always happen that we do not play well in games that we should be able to win and play in games we have no shot at winning. That is why if we can buck this trend and win the next 4 I think the staff deserves next year.

I know you have been very vocal in your disappointment in Allen and IU football. I understand it has been very underwhelming for sure. However if you truly look at the schedule they have 3 losses you knew they would have in Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State and yet they had some great moments in those games and played much better than people believed. Then you have the Louisville game in which they were one yard from tying the game. Who believed Louisville would go on and beat Notre Dame and be 7-1 at this point of the season. The Maryland and Rutgers games many thought we should win , but we laid eggs in both of those games. Which is completely is unforgivable. It seems to always happen that we do not play well in games that we should be able to win and play in games we have no shot at winning. That is why if we can buck this trend and win the next 4 I think the staff deserves next year.
But the main issue is the Rutgers and Maryland games, not the rest. Why do we consistently lay eggs against teams we should be competing with and/or beating at least every other year or whatever. If not, we're never going to have a shot a bowl game which is all most folks want.

Reactions: Chriselli
3-1, finishing 5-7, would definitely save him. No doubt at all. After going 0-9 last year to 3-6 this year? Absolutely.

And let's not underestimate the value of moral victories. O$U, PSU, and probably Louisville were solid moral victories for Indiana.

• Haha
Reactions: Chriselli
3-1, finishing 5-7, would definitely save him. No doubt at all. After going 0-9 last year to 3-6 this year? Absolutely.

And let's not underestimate the value of moral victories. O$U, PSU, and probably Louisville were solid moral victories for Indiana.
That goes to show you how low the bar is around here

Reactions: bang63
Throw the ISU game out...they're a high school team basically nowadays.

So of the 7 real games we've played...

-OSU and PSU they showed prolonged stretches of competitiveness against legit high level P5 teams. But also showed an uncanny ability to make horrendous mistakes.

-ALL the rest of the games were largely crap.

This thread centers on the hypothetical of them finishing 3-1. If the season were done today, he deserves to be fired 100%, no question.

If we end the year with 5 wins Dolson will probably give him an extension and raise.
I have zero faith in Dolson,he’s in over his head as bad or worse than Allen.
I understand fan’s frustration. Scott May surprise us again after this season as he did with Archie

Reactions: kmathum
I understand fan’s frustration. Scott May surprise us again after this season as he did with Archie
Didn’t Scott May play a couple of years with Jimmy Laskowski, but his non-predictor status kept him from playing with John Downing? lol.

This is obviously a very pessimistic point of view...but I think us being in that game as late as we were, said a lot more about how Penn State isn't a legit top 10 team right now, than it did us playing overly well. In fact, we made too many horrible mistakes to say we "played well". Penn State didn't capitalize on those mistakes, for whatever reason. Partly, I'm sure, because we played better than they expected. But mostly, I'm sure, because it was a noon game against Indiana. Those are the games players stay out a little later, party a little harder, pay a little less attention during practice the week before...types of games. And it showed.

The ending completely erased any warm and fuzzy thoughts I had about how competitive the game was leading up to it. So NO, to answer your question. We beat the spread against OSU as well, and still basically lost to Akron, and got thumped by Maryland and Rutgers. So NO.
Play well against a good team = "the other team isn't really good"

Beat a bad team = "it's basically a loss"

Hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT