ADVERTISEMENT

2022 is a mystery season for IU

ESalum86

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
1) New coordinators on both sides of the ball.
2) Complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff except OL & TE.
3) New DL & LB coaches. A lot of turnover in the front 7.
4) If I counted correctly we lost 35 players via the transfer portal and gained 13.
5) Complete overhaul of offensive skill position players.
6) Once again face a brutal schedule starting against a conference opponent.

1) CTA will go back to calling defensive plays. We all trust him there. Although I don't know a lot about Walt Bell beyond his bio, CTA said his offenses were tough to defend so I see this as a good move. Advantage: IU

2) Brought in a lot of NFL experience in RB & WR coaches. New OC/QB coach has P5 experience as an OC plus head coaching experience (in a likely no win situation). CWB has had ups and downs but I believe him to be a solid upgrade over Sheridan.
Advantage: IU

3) Coach Wilt seems to be a younger CTA from what I read. I'll take that. I don't know enough about our outgoing or incoming DL coaches to form an educated opinion. I do know we haven't exactly been a juggernaut at harassing the QB the last few years without blitzing from any and everywhere. Losing MIcah is going to hurt. I believe Cam is going to have an amazing year. Dasan McCullough recevied really good reviews in the BTN Bus Tour review of IU. Some good looking DL & LB coming here via the portal. Watched the video where Shaun Shivers was mic'ed up and they showed one run with him blasting through a hole in the line for a big gain. Immediately followed where he appears to run the same play and gets swallowed at the line. Walking back he says Sio is the best DL and when he comes in it changes the line. Here's to hoping Sio, and the entire DL, wreak havoc on opponents this season!
Advantage: Unknown. CTA over Warren is a plus. Losing Micah is a negative. Player turnover is an unknown.

4) When 1/3 of the team transfers out, something is not right. I'm sure some were encouraged to leave but certainly not everyone. If I counted right we lost 22 more players to the portal than we gained. The positives are most of those who transferred to IU came from P5 schools while the ones who left and found new homes mostly went to G5 or FCS schools. THe HUGE difference, according to BTN, is IU gained 5,000 snaps of college football experience in the transfer portal versus what we lost.
Advanatge: IU (huge!)

5) Not a lot of positive can be said about IU's offense last season. The question is will the new players form a cohesive unit? We certainly appear to have added speed, which is always a plus.
Advantage: Unknown

6) The schedule is heavily backloaded, so any and all bowl hopes rest on a fast start. The plus is a path to 6 wins by the end of October certainly exists. In my mind IU has two likely wins on the schedule (Idaho & WKU), 6 toss up games (Ill, UC, Neb, Md, Rut & PU); all but the Purdue game are played in September and October. I believe if we beat Illinois we will start 4-0. I believe we will beat Maryland and Rutgers which gives us bowl eligibility no later than 10/22. If we lose to the Illini, we have no idea what to expect.
Advantage: Ask me after the Illinois game

4) If I counted correctly we lost 35 players via the transfer portal and gained 13.

1) CTA will go back to calling defensive plays. We all trust him there. Although I don't know a lot about Walt Bell beyond his bio, CTA said his offenses were tough to defend so I see this as a good move. Advantage: IU

2) Brought in a lot of NFL experience in RB & WR coaches. New OC/QB coach has P5 experience as an OC plus head coaching experience (in a likely no win situation). CWB has had ups and downs but I believe him to be a solid upgrade over Sheridan.

3) Coach Wilt seems to be a younger CTA from what I read. I'll take that. I don't know enough about our outgoing or incoming DL coaches to form an educated opinion. I do know we haven't exactly been a juggernaut at harassing the QB the last few years without blitzing from any and everywhere. Losing MIcah is going to hurt. I believe Cam is going to have an amazing year. Dasan McCullough recevied really good reviews in the BTN Bus Tour review of IU. Some good looking DL & LB coming here via the portal. Watched the video where Shaun Shivers was mic'ed up and they showed one run with him blasting through a hole in the line for a big gain. Immediately followed where he appears to run the same play and gets swallowed at the line. Walking back he says Sio is the best DL and when he comes in it changes the line. Here's to hoping Sio, and the entire DL, wreak havoc on opponents this season!
Advantage: Unknown. CTA over Warren is a plus. Losing Micah is a negative. Player turnover is an unknown.

4) When 1/3 of the team transfers out, something is not right. I'm sure some were encouraged to leave but certainly not everyone. If I counted right we lost 22 more players to the portal than we gained. The positives are most of those who transferred to IU came from P5 schools while the ones who left and found new homes mostly went to G5 or FCS schools. THe HUGE difference, according to BTN, is IU gained 5,000 snaps of college football experience in the transfer portal versus what we lost.

5) Not a lot of positive can be said about IU's offense last season. The question is will the new players form a cohesive unit? We certainly appear to have added speed, which is always a plus.

6) The schedule is heavily backloaded, so any and all bowl hopes rest on a fast start. The plus is a path to 6 wins by the end of October certainly exists. In my mind IU has two likely wins on the schedule (Idaho & WKU), 6 toss up games (Ill, UC, Neb, Md, Rut & PU); all but the Purdue game are played in September and October. I believe if we beat Illinois we will start 4-0. I believe we will beat Maryland and Rutgers which gives us bowl eligibility no later than 10/22. If we lose to the Illini, we have no idea what to expect.
Good breakdown about this season, only a couple of transfers hurt IU, but they were understandable - Taylor wasn't starting a corner but would have played enough instead he went to PU, Penix went to Washington to team up with DeBoer that he did so well with at IU. IU brought in P5 players with experience and speed along with a couple from JR college or DII.

Our defense is loaded with excellent players, but Illinois is going to a spread offense, so it won't be run heavy like at Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure that the Hoosiers picked up 5,000 snaps in the portal and only lost 2,000 snaps. And that is with losing 27 players and only gaining 13.

The only school in the country that had more players transfer out than Indiana was Maryland. And the snap numbers indicate they were riding the bench or injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Good breakdown about this season, only a couple of transfers hurt IU, but they were understandable - Taylor wasn't starting a corner but would have played enough instead he went to PU, Penix went to Washington to team up with DeBoer that he did so well with at IU. IU brought in P5 players with experience and speed along with a couple from JR college or DII.

Our defense is loaded with excellent players, but Illinois is going to a spread offense, so it won't be run heavy like at Wisconsin.
Spread offenses can be run heavy. And I'd bet the farm that Illinois will run it A LOT out of the spread.

That's one of my keys early on in the game. If we can stuff some runs on early downs, early in the game, it'll hopefully set a tone. They'll struggle passing on us, in known passing situations.

If they are able to get some yardage early on off the run, that's how they'd beat us. We probably aren't gonna put up 40 ourselves on them. But if we can build a double digit lead early, from our defense getting out front and creating opportunities and/or great field position...I don't see them putting 40 up on us, so we should be in good shape if that happens. 28-17 type of game is what it feels like heading in.

Which basically means the score will end up being 63-57 or something like that...

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Don't count IU out on scoring 40 or more points with the players on the team this year. Illinois says they want to run 50% and pass 50% this year. We will find out in our game if they do or not.

I agree or do not have the knowledge to comment with your post.
Regarding #4, I noticed also that the guys that left went to lessor conferences.
However the guys coming in, tho from good schools, did not get much playing time.
I think the net is a benefit for us but we shall see.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT