ADVERTISEMENT

Would 3-1 to close the season change your mind?

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Special teams is obviously a problem, but IU played its best football of the season today. Carey's (and Bostad's) impact was evident, defense made some great plays, and we looked like a football team out there in a hostile environment against the #10 team in the country.

Prior to today's game, it was clear where most stood, myself included, regarding CTA's future at IU, particularly after last week's Homecoming debacle versus Rutgers. But if IU were to go 3-1 over the final four games and finish 5-7, would opinions change? Or do you believe anything less than a bowl season should seal his fate?

Please weigh in.

It wouldn't change anything for me. I want this regime gone. And, frankly, it really isn't the Bowl or Bust for me. It's just a continued, ongoing, year-over-year repetition of undisciplined football (special teams blunders, terrible penalties, unfathomable coaching decisions.)

Tom Allen is a good guy who loves IU and I credit him for that. But we continue to play ridiculously stupid football and it hasn't gotten better over the years.

Time for a cool change...

Special teams is obviously a problem, but IU played its best football of the season today. Carey's (and Bostad's) impact was evident, defense made some great plays, and we looked like a football team out there in a hostile environment against the #10 team in the country.

Prior to today's game, it was clear where most stood, myself included, regarding CTA's future at IU, particularly after last week's Homecoming debacle versus Rutgers. But if IU were to go 3-1 over the final four games and finish 5-7, would opinions change? Or do you believe anything less than a bowl season should seal his fate?

Please weigh in.
As with most organizations, we hire too quickly and fire too slowly.

Please weigh in.
It wouldn't change my mind but it probably would those that make those decisions.

Which 3 teams will we beat? There is no chance we win 3 games. I’m guessing we will win 1 but I’m not sure who that will be.

Reactions: outlawyer
I’m still not 100% convinced that a change would be made even if they lost the next 3 games but won the Bucket and finished the season 3-9.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Please weigh in.
It’s as obvious now, that even with a winning streak of four games, that just as it was obvious with Crean and Miller, a change must be made.

3-1 would mean the team made progress this year. If the offense suddenly became highly competent it would create optimism for next year. But the reality is that Allen is only being saved by a huge and inexplicable contract extension. If Rod Carey turned out to be an elite coordinator (which is possible) it could save Allen. Allen is a decent (not great) defensive coordinator, and a strong recruiter. He's not a head coach, but he's got a head coach as an offensive coordinator and it might save his regime as blunderous as it's been.

3-1 would mean the team made progress this year. If the offense suddenly became highly competent it would create optimism for next year. But the reality is that Allen is only being saved by a huge and inexplicable contract extension. If Rod Carey turned out to be an elite coordinator (which is possible) it could save Allen. Allen is a decent (not great) defensive coordinator, and a strong recruiter. He's not a head coach, but he's got a head coach as an offensive coordinator and it might save his regime as blunderous as it's been.
The extension itself (1 additional year) wasn’t the problem, and in any event Dolson was required to give it due to the terms of the 2019 contract.

The problem is that Dolson also took an already expensive buyout from that 2019 contract and made it even more expensive in the 2021 contract.

Not if building a sustainably winning program is the objective. That’s not within TA’s capabilities, regardless of how we close out the season.
I suspect that they’re looking for any possible rationale they can find to kick the proverbial can down the road for another year without permanently alienating the remaining fanbase.

4-0 automatically does it. I suppose 3-1. or even 2-2, likely does it. And I wouldn’t be at all shocked if 1-3 gets the job done as well.

I suspect that they’re looking for any possible rationale they can find to kick the proverbial can down the road for another year without permanently alienating the remaining fanbase.

4-0 automatically does it. I suppose 3-1. or even 2-2, likely does it. And I wouldn’t be at all shocked if 1-3 gets the job done as well.
If we go 6-6, that’s a minor bowl and he’s as safe as can be. But he’s not now nor will he ever be a program builder, so we’re just postponing the inevitable.

If we go 6-6, that’s a minor bowl and he’s as safe as can be. But he’s not now nor will he ever be a program builder, so we’re just postponing the inevitable.
I agree, but if he goes 6-6 there’s another automatic 1-year extension of his contract-which I think would probably also include extending the buyout terms.

Does anyone actually think we will win more than 1 of our last 4 games? I love your optimism but I‘m just trying to be realistic. We’ve fumble punts, get penalties, miss tackles and just all around suck. No way we win more than 1 game.

Reactions: outlawyer
No. But he’ll save his job with that, I’m sure.

If he ends with only 2-3 wins, unless maybe if the 3rd is a resounding Bucket win…I just can’t fathom how they could allow that level of ineptness to continue.

I suppose a few wins from really good planning and overall play, and a case could be made for another Allen/Carey/Bostad year.

But a PERFECT ending for this season, for me, would be 4 wins, bowl win, Allen gets pulled away for a job somewhere else at seasons end.

No. Allen needs to go.
I know I’m a voice in the wilderness on this, but I still think there’s a slim chance, especially if they lose out, for there to be a negotiated settlement.

Under those circumstances Allen would have to know that the most he would ever likely see of the $20.8 million would be about $13 million by staying another year at $5 million and getting a $7.9 buyout in Devember of 2024. And it would probably be a pretty unpleasant 12 months for everyone involved., especially Allen himself.

So in this scenario (2-10 this season) perhaps Dolson could approach Allen’s agent and say “we’ll give you the same amount now that we gave to Archie Miller-about $11 million dollars-or we can run this thing back 1 more year so you can get $13 million dollars instead. Is it really worth an extra $2 million to go through this one more year?”

It’s likely a moot point anyway, since IU still plays (at least) 2 or 3 more very beatable teams and should be able to find a way to win at least 1 of those games. Which may be enough reason, at least in the Administration’s eyes, to stay the course for one more year.

I know I’m a voice in the wilderness on this, but I still think there’s a slim chance, especially if they lose out, for there to be a negotiated settlement.

Under those circumstances Allen would have to know that the most he would ever likely see of the $20.8 million would be about $13 million by staying another year at $5 million and getting a $7.9 buyout in Devember of 2024. And it would probably be a pretty unpleasant 12 months for everyone involved., especially Allen himself.

So in this scenario (2-10 this season) perhaps Dolson could approach Allen’s agent and say “we’ll give you the same amount now that we gave to Archie Miller-about $11 million dollars-or we can run this thing back 1 more year so you can get $13 million dollars instead. Is it really worth an extra $2 million to go through this one more year?”

It’s likely a moot point anyway, since IU still plays (at least) 2 or 3 more very beatable teams and should be able to find a way to win at least 1 of those games. Which may be enough reason, at least in the Administration’s eyes, to stay the course for one more year.
There’s some logic there. But never gonna happen.

I think we’ll win 2 more games. And he’ll be retained. And our program will take another step or two down/back down the ladder as a result.

People are reading way too much into todays game.Penn St is not that good and they had a let down from the Ohio St.
They were not good today and still won by 9.
We have some bad team left to play but let’s face we aren’t that good either.

3-1 would be an improvement over last year and there would be some hope going into the season next year. If they are 2-2, 1-3 or 0-4, I think there will be a lot of people tuning out until the admin decides the buyout is low enough.

There’s some logic there. But never gonna happen.

I think we’ll win 2 more games. And he’ll be retained. And our program will take another step or two down/back down the ladder as a result.
Probably so-as I posted earlier, I’m not sure TA even needs to win more than one more game, especially if it’s against Purdue.

But it would take some heavy lifting on Dolson’s part to retain TA if they did finish 2-10. And if Allen followed up that kind of 2-10 result by demanding the full $21 million to step aside, I think every AD in the country would take note and Allen’s future coaching prospects could diminish.

Are you watching the Purdue game? They look pretty hopeless today. MSU, same. Now, I don't see another opportunity though.

There are a handful of teams in this conference who are bad football teams and wer’re trying hard to be the worst of the bunch.
Both schools mentioned: one with an interim guy and the other with Hazell 2.0 are a trainwreck under new guys and we are as mismanaged as both squads under a 7th year guy. There is at least one guy on the staff in Bostad that I think is as advertised.
Carey? Overall a good game plan in bits and pieces but the end was a disaster and I wonder if playing like we were just thrilled to try and get to OT with those play calls. That had to be Allen’s direction.

People are reading way too much into todays game.Penn St is not that good and they had a let down from the Ohio St.
They were not good today and still won by 9.
We have some bad team left to play but let’s face we aren’t that good either.

Well, they were ranked 10th in the country half way through the season soooo, I think they are pretty decent.
They won by 9 but 7 of those were a gift by a dropped punt. Without that drop, we might have been up 14-0 and who knows how that changes the dynamic of the game. Maybe they start to press, Maybe we play loose.
All hypothetical since IU was IU and found a way to lose!

Which 3 teams will we beat? There is no chance we win 3 games. I’m guessing we will win 1 but I’m not sure who that will be.
I just don't get this mindset from "fans".

We went on the road to #10 and were tied with 3 minutes left.

Our remaining schedule is #29, #64, #65, #75. Yet before we even play, you "guess we will win 1".

Why even watch?

Please weigh in.
5-7 would be above my expectations. 5-7 would give Dolson cover for keeping Allen. 4-8 would be tough for Dolson to fire Allen. Our special teams are terrible and a major factor why we likely won't win more than one game.

Allen will have to thank Rod Carey if we win any more games. Bell would have never won another game. More use of Howland and Turner and less of Lucas is one reason. The other is scrapping bad plays and formations and calling plays like our touchdown pass that came out of a running formation. I loved that play for several reasons.

The future doesn't look like IU lead by Coach Allen. The only way possible for me to see coach Allen staying on at IU, is a commitment by IU to pay top level coordinators with coach Allen reverting to a figure head HC during the games.

Please weigh in.
If you believe Allan needs to go, that he cannot get us to an annual bowl game, and that he cannot raise the program to be an equal of the other IU sports; then victories now just prolong the switch out.

Reactions: jsenleo and kmathum
I don't think ultimately with the administration and finances it matters although keeping him another year like i think they will because of the buyout this year will not bother me as much if development continues. We definitely need some real special team's improvement.

The offense and defense both seem to have decent game plans and executed better. I do believe that we gambled on stopping the run and forcing them to pass was good although it hurt us at the end. We did score 24 points on somebody that had previously shutout their opponents at home.

Again I am not happy and think changes are needed. I could see the administration making the 10 million dollar change in basketball but don't see the same passion to make a 20 million dollar change in football.

Does anyone actually think we will win more than 1 of our last 4 games? I love your optimism but I‘m just trying to be realistic. We’ve fumble punts, get penalties, miss tackles and just all around suck. No way we win more than 1 game.
Next week I'd say not. Wisconsin beats us. The last 3 is you pick-em I'd say. Depends on what part of the garbage heap decides to flame up on the given Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT