All-American
Nov 20, 2009
Xavier Johnson
Trey Galloway
Mgbako
Ware
Reneau

First off the bench, Sparks and Cupps.

I think they will do exactly what they did last year, get 9 guys about 15-25 minutes, with less for Leal as the 10th man. Then walk ons will get their 5-8 minutes.

What I am looking for is good execution without turnovers, and high assists from one or more of the guards. Also I would like to see a solid 3-point shooting stat for the team.

We know guys like Johnson and Reneau and Mgbako can score 1v1 against inferior competition, and I'm sure they will oop some rotation plays to Ware. But what is more important is seeing crisp execution and all around good defense.

Xavier Johnson
Trey Galloway
Mgbako
Ware
Reneau

I think they will do exactly what they did last year, get 9 guys about 15-25 minutes, with less for Leal as the 10th man. Then walk ons will get their 5-8 minutes.

What I am looking for is good execution without turnovers, and high assists from one or more of the guards. Also I would like to see a solid 3-point shooting stat for the team.

We know guys like Johnson and Reneau and Mgbako can score 1v1 against inferior competition, and I'm sure they will oop some rotation plays to Ware. But what is more important is seeing crisp execution and all around good defense.

We aren't keeping Walker off the court. I think we play 10. We might see some NBA 5 out patterns this year too lol. I could easily see Woody playing Cupps, Cj, Banks, Walker Sparks together in a second unit.

We aren't keeping Walker off the court. I think we play 10. We might see some NBA 5 out patterns this year too lol. I could easily see Woody playing Cupps, Cj, Banks, Walker Sparks together in a second unit.
I feel Walker will be a surprise addition to us. I'll even raise that to a Bielfeldt presence.

For tomorrow, I'll go
Reneau
Ware
Walker
Galloway
X

6- Mgbako off bench bcuz of the taco bell stuff, but nothing else to it.
7- Gunn
8- Sparks
9- Cupps
10- Leal

Banks woulda been 7-9. Mgbako leading scorer tomorrow.
Indiana 81 U Indy 57

I'd like to see that 2nd unit. That would be one of the criticisms I'd have of CMW, is not trying more different combinations early in the season against weaker comp just to see what groupings play well together. Feel like both seasons he's had an idea about his starters and rotation and hasn't really varied too much from the first game on. Am I misremembering?

Reactions: Cavanagh
Something about Walker in the Hoosier Hysteria intros, he seemed to be having a great time and enjoying the moment. If he carries that enthusiasm to games he's gonna push the younger guys for PT.

I'd like to see that 2nd unit. That would be one of the criticisms I'd have of CMW, is not trying more different combinations early in the season against weaker comp just to see what groupings play well together. Feel like both seasons he's had an idea about his starters and rotation and hasn't really varied too much from the first game on. Am I misremembering?
Woody doesn’t vary that much. It was clockwork when scoop came in the game. 13 minute mark of first half. First year much more hockey style subbing tho.

Walker barely played for Miami last year. I see 3-4 minutes a game for him.
You might be right.
He averaged 10 minutes a game, scored 3ppg and shot .125 from the arc.
On the other hand, he played behind players who took their program to a FF.
Hope he gets a chance to flourish for us.

Reactions: IUoldtimer
You might be right.
He averaged 10 minutes a game, scored 3ppg and shot .125 from the arc.
On the other hand, he played behind players who took their program to a FF.
Hope he gets a chance to flourish for us.
Yes but Miami was a guard heavy team. We are a frontcourt heavy team. He is 5th out of our 5 bigs.
Ware, MR, MM, Sparks. Then Walker.

He was injured the first half of last season.

He played around 30 min in their ACC tourney game against Duke I believe.

You have no idea what kind of player he is do you.
Why do you say that? Also he played 24 minutes vs Duke and had 6pts 4 Rebs. Averaged 9 minutes a game in the ncaa tournament and for 2.4 pts and .8 rebs

Why do you say that? Also he played 24 minutes vs Duke and had 6pts 4 Rebs. Averaged 9 minutes a game in the ncaa tournament and for 2.4 pts and .8 rebs
He’s probably the best proven defender of all this front court guys. It’s not about offense with him. He can defend 3 spots. When he comes in he locks guys down while others rest. Don’t discount him. We traded JG spaz for him.

He’s probably the best proven defender of all this front court guys. It’s not about offense with him. He can defend 3 spots. When he comes in he locks guys down while others rest. Don’t discount him. We traded JG spaz for him.
He will be a fine role player but I think he is 5th of all our front court players

I feel Walker will be a surprise addition to us. I'll even raise that to a Bielfeldt presence.

For tomorrow, I'll go
Reneau
Ware
Walker
Galloway
X

6- Mgbako off bench bcuz of the taco bell stuff, but nothing else to it.
7- Gunn
8- Sparks
9- Cupps
10- Leal

Banks woulda been 7-9. Mgbako leading scorer tomorrow.
Indiana 81 U Indy 57
Woody has said the Mgbako stuff is all behind us and resolved when asked if he’d impose some kind of suspension. He’ll probably start tomorrow.

no banks

Xavier Johnson
Trey Galloway
Mgbako
Ware
Reneau

OK, I couldn't resist....first off the bench has to be either Sparks or Cupps, not both

Last edited:
I know no banks tomorrow, but the post I quoted had leal as the 10th man, and no Walker mention.
Johnson
Galloway
Mgbako
Reneau
Ware
Sparks
Cupps
Gunn
Walker
Leal

That's 10. Rotationally, Walker probably comes in to defend. Perhaps the 3, or the 4 if IU is trying to play fast. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is typically behind Banks.

Sparks is a veteran scorer and is physically ready to play the 4 or 5 so he probably comes in for Reneau or Ware.

Johnson
Galloway
Mgbako
Reneau
Ware
Sparks
Cupps
Gunn
Walker
Leal

That's 10. Rotationally, Walker probably comes in to defend. Perhaps the 3, or the 4 if IU is trying to play fast. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is typically behind Banks.

Sparks is a veteran scorer and is physically ready to play the 4 or 5 so he probably comes in for Reneau or Ware.
Miss read then, my b. If we are totally healthy (I have a better chance of dating a supermodel) we play 10 this year I would think.

Who would you put at 10th in that bunch? Walker? Cupps? CJ? Banks?
Most if not all coach’s tighten rotations. 8 is the popular number. We might go 10 deep but the 9-10 guys will be 10-12 min at most. Walker and probably leal are those guys.

Xavier Johnson
Trey Galloway
Mgbako
Ware
Reneau

Switch Galloway for Cupps. Cupps needs to be thrown to fire for this team to be dangerous, and I could see how it could be a fast start team with lots of open shots for Cupps. This could be a dangerous team with X to MM as a first option, MM needs to be a facilitator. If he is, I could see this team being able to run a bit and still be able be tough enough inside. I like Galloway off the bench,

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I can see Mackensie being benched, as a coaches decision (discipline).
(assuming it’s part of the penance).
The curfew bunch was benched at Northwestern, a game IU needed to win.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ates-on-kelel-ware-kaleb-banks-anthony-walker

Banks is too important to risk aggravating a groin in an exhibition
Trey can explain it to him … his ended up needing surgery.

Ware and Reneau will start … toss a coin between Sparks and Walker … the better practice player should start.
Could be Sparks, with a lingering Walker ankle.

I think Leal, as the emergency PG, could play a lot. Senior leadership matters with underclassmen playing most of the minutes.

Who would you put at 10th in that bunch? Walker? Cupps? CJ? Banks?
My 2nd biggest hope, behind our D being much improved and consistently good, is that guys like Gunn and Cupps, maybe even a wildcard like Rayford are good enough to push for a lot of PT. AND that Woody uses MM and Ware mostly on the perimeter, attacking outside/in.

Consistency, and an evolution to more perimeter oriented offense are the 2 needed improvements for this team. Even if that comes with some forced growing pains.

The depth in our front court is one of our biggest strengths. I just hope he doesn’t keep playing as “big focused” as he has so far. We can always revert to that if we have perimeter guy injuries, or if it doesn’t work as well as he’d like.

My 2nd biggest hope, behind our D being much improved and consistently good, is that guys like Gunn and Cupps, maybe even a wildcard like Rayford are good enough to push for a lot of PT. AND that Woody uses MM and Ware mostly on the perimeter, attacking outside/in.

Consistency, and an evolution to more perimeter oriented offense are the 2 needed improvements for this team. Even if that comes with some forced growing pains.

The depth in our front court is one of our biggest strengths. I just hope he doesn’t keep playing as “big focused” as he has so far. We can always revert to that if we have perimeter guy injuries, or if it doesn’t work as well as he’d like.
At seconds notice, UIndy went 26-5? last year? This game could be interesting late. Hopefully not. 30+ win in December. Today? Could be interesting: I take that 81-56 prediction back.

Walker will play much more than the opportunity J-Ronimo was squandering away. Also believe Coach Woodson is closer this season to having a roster to offer a 1st 5, 2nd 5 lineups he helped create in the League. It offers quite an advantage if it's workable. He'll try it till it isn't.

At seconds notice, UIndy went 26-5? last year? This game could be interesting late. Hopefully not. 30+ win in December. Today? Could be interesting: I take that 81-56 prediction back.
Nahhhh. UIndy is a definitely a d2 school and you’ll see that.

Reactions: kkott
Foul trouble is the main question with him. He worked hard this summer I heard. Bout to find out!!
Well, from reports of his summer and body improvement I think they worked on what he needs to to stay out of foul trouble: quicker feet, keep your body from getting out ahead of your feet and grabbing. I think it will be much better unless he's just weak between the ears.

I give Ware one more game to show an all out effort from the tip and if it's not there I'd start someone else. No time to wait for him to bring it. I'd rather go smaller or with guys ready/eager to play.

I give Ware one more game to show an all out effort from the tip and if it's not there I'd start someone else. No time to wait for him to bring it. I'd rather go smaller or with guys ready/eager to play.
I want us to "go smaller" anyways...but more so with our style and emphasis, than the actual guys on the court.

Not sure the time frame you give works with the project Woody has on his hands. Oregon used the bench as a motivator, it evidently didn't work well. Maybe Woody needs to try other things before jumping to that route? And then, a couple main reasons why I wouldn't do what you said...

1. Despite what looked like a more passive demeanor, he did dominate parts of the game defensively with his length and shot blocking. We're going to need his back line help, I'm sure.

2. The next game is Marian, an NAIA school. I wouldn't judge him solely on a D2 and NAIA school performance, need to see what he does against D1, and then the Kansas type teams on our early schedule. Might just be that he's a big gamer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT