ADVERTISEMENT

Your boldest prediction for 2023

I’m still processing it all … O/U 3.5, or yet another disaster, isn’t the most likely outcome.

5.0 yds per carry would be good enough to rank 26 in FBS in 2022.

175 yds per game would rank with UTSA at 50 in 2022 stats.

If Bell and Bosted and come close to those standards it will be a happy year.

Improved secondary play to keep leads would be needed too.

I will not be disappointed in IU fball this year because I have no expectation of success this year. Maybe 4-8 if there aren't major injuries?

Zero experience in QB room. Offensive coordinator has no track record of success and ran a bizarre hurry up offense last year. Allen still trying to figure out if he wants to be the head coach or d-coordinator. Team is heavily reliant on the transfer portal to fill playing time again. Still in Big 14 East.

Feels like a lame duck year but I'll be watching and rooting for them anyway.

Part 3 - longest gap ever for a sequel to Parts 1 & 2 in 1987 & 1988. Poor Earl Bruce. LOL
Our DL needs to get pressure on the QB and add a LB and DB shooting in. I want to see how Coach G does calling defenses. Coach Wilt has done a good job with LBs and helping Coach G calling defenses.

Reactions: midwolfe
I will not be disappointed in IU fball this year because I have no expectation of success this year. Maybe 4-8 if there aren't major injuries?

Zero experience in QB room. Offensive coordinator has no track record of success and ran a bizarre hurry up offense last year. Allen still trying to figure out if he wants to be the head coach or d-coordinator. Team is heavily reliant on the transfer portal to fill playing time again. Still in Big 14 East.

Feels like a lame duck year but I'll be watching and rooting for them anyway.
Bell continues to want to run a tempo spread, run first offense. With the changing game clock rule, it’s not likely we’ll slow down at all, given the reduced number of plays that will occur. If anything, teams like us will try to quicken the pace to preserve as many plays and possessions as possible.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Bell continues to want to run a tempo spread, run first offense. With the changing game clock rule, it’s not likely we’ll slow down at all, given the reduced number of plays that will occur. If anything, teams like us will try to quicken the pace to preserve as many plays and possessions as possible.
Quite possible … running clock was needed … 4 hour games are too long.

I think teams like us will simply want the game to be as short as possible. One of IU's biggest problems of ALL TIME was the clock. There was always too much time left on the clock for teams to counter. Obviously a better defense would help too.

I hope you are wrong as it kills the defense when you go three and out.

Remain

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

If you're a bad team, wouldn't you try to shorten the game?
Did coach Bell read his play-calling book wrong?
He just comes across as someone who thinks he's a step ahead of everyone else, despite the evidence on the field.

Hopefully he and Allen do so well this year I think I'm an idiot for doubting them.

Bell wasn't there for the Iowa game a couple seasons ago. That was my low point as a Hoosiers fan in terms of what happened vs what was expected. I love football but don't understand the nuances of it very well, but that game was the one the blinders came off about a coaching staff maybe being in over their heads, similar to Crean's lack of prep for Syracuse running a zone.

He just comes across as someone who thinks he's a step ahead of everyone else, despite the evidence on the field.

Hopefully he and Allen do so well this year I think I'm an idiot for doubting them.

Bell wasn't there for the Iowa game a couple seasons ago. That was my low point as a Hoosiers fan in terms of what happened vs what was expected. I love football but don't understand the nuances of it very well, but that game was the one the blinders came off about a coaching staff maybe being in over their heads, similar to Crean's lack of prep for Syracuse running a zone.
People won't get over that Syracuse game even though it wasn't Crean's fault.
Players just didn't make anything. There were good looks and they just didn't make them.

Jordan Hulls went 0-fer in that game on good shots. That's not on the coach.
They shot 33% from the field and 62% on free throws. At a certain point, it is a make or miss game.

People won't get over that Syracuse game even though it wasn't Crean's fault.
Players just didn't make anything. There were good looks and they just didn't make them.

Jordan Hulls went 0-fer in that game on good shots. That's not on the coach.
They shot 33% from the field and 62% on free throws. At a certain point, it is a make or miss game.
Ok Joani.

I’d be happy winning three conference games. Against OSU, I’ll be real disappointed if IU doesn’t score more than 10 points. Staying within 2 TD’s up until late into the third quarter will offer a degree of hope to those left searching…searching for the car keys.

The Ohio State game at home is a nice way to start the season. It’s all about the pregame tailgate, in anticipation of the adrenaline rush accompanying the gladiators of college sports. IU plays host, Sat Sept 2, 3:30 pm, CBS. Can’t wait!

Don't even bother making a counterargument. Whatever.
I’m not calling anyone around here names, but I saw guys that looked scared or at the very least, tentative. Sorry, but that’s almost exclusively on the coach. If he’s spazzing, his players are spazzing. And they all did in that disaster.

Don't even bother making a counterargument. Whatever.
Yogi wasn't up for their guards as a freshman. It was obvious early on but he stayed in. Sheehey started attacking the zone in the middle of the zone and getting some nice looks but then Crean pulled him out. He had Zeller putting the ball on the floor and driving. None of that made any sense. Crean had a game plan and was sticking with it no matter what happened - no ability to make adjustments. After the game they talked about the multiple strategies they prepared to face the zone and he overcomplicated it. Disappointing display by a very talented team. My point was the lack of readiness for that game was mirrored by Allen's team against Iowa a couple years ago. Was not ready to compete from the beginning and not due to differences in talent but preparation and coaching.

Yogi wasn't up for their guards as a freshman. It was obvious early on but he stayed in. Sheehey started attacking the zone in the middle of the zone and getting some nice looks but then Crean pulled him out. He had Zeller putting the ball on the floor and driving. None of that made any sense. Crean had a game plan and was sticking with it no matter what happened - no ability to make adjustments. After the game they talked about the multiple strategies they prepared to face the zone and he overcomplicated it. Disappointing display by a very talented team. My point was the lack of readiness for that game was mirrored by Allen's team against Iowa a couple years ago. Was not ready to compete from the beginning and not due to differences in talent but preparation and coaching.
The worst part of that game was coach Allen held on to Hiller too long; on the other hand, we now have coach Borstad that we didn't have a chance at in 2021.

Such a strange approach given Allen's focus on defense.
Corso once bragged that all of OSU’s plays were in the IU playbook too.
(Both IU and OSU featured tailback focused, I formation Offenses.
The OSU tailback was two time Heisman trophy winner Archie Griffin.
The IU tailback was Courtney Snyder).

Blowing the defense off the ball with three yards and a cloud of dust died shortly thereafter.
(The OSU Clemson bowl game loss was the period at the end of the sentence).
Offenses need to attack … tempo is one attack tactic.

Running a spread with hurry up tempo principles is modern life.
Allen, Randolph and Wilt understand this.
They have strived to have a two-deep talent pool, with sufficient rotations to keep everyone fresh.
That said, the defensive staff should have leave to say …
tailback handoff … or slow down, when they need to regroup,

I heard one announcer say recently that constantly playing up tempo isn’t uniformly effective as defensive players adapt. With better OL play, perhaps Walt won’t feel the need to be uptempo as much.

Incompletions First downs will no longer stop the game clock, but the wall clock / play clock time won’t change much.

Last edited:
Corso once bragged that all of OSU’s plays were in the IU playbook too.
(Both IU and OSU featured tailback focused, I formation Offenses.
The OSU tailback was two time Heisman trophy winner Archie Griffin.
The IU tailback was Courtney Snyder).

Blowing the defense off the ball with three yards and a cloud of dust died shortly thereafter.
(The Clemson bowl game loss was the period at the end of the sentence).

Running a spread with hurry up tempo principles is modern life.
Allen, Randolph and Wilt understand this.
They have strived to have a two-deep talent pool, with sufficient rotations to keep everyone fresh.
That said, the defensive staff should have leave to say …
tailback handoff … or slow down, when they need to regroup,

Incompletions will no longer stop the game clock, but the wall clock / play clock time won’t change much.
Incompletions will continue to stop the clock. First downs, however, will not except in the last two minutes of each half.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2023/8/16/football-quoted-fall-camp-edition-tom-allen-matt-guerrieri

I want to believe … it’s not all hype … CTA does better at ‘coachspeak‘ every year. It’s not to the level of “Newspeak“ yet.

Corso had the attitude to emphasize the positive, too. Purdue contemporary Alex ‘Agony‘ Agassi managed expectations (poorly) and got fired after Corso beat him twice in ‘76 and ‘77.

CTA:

… At the end of the day, you're always try to play your best five. Kahlil Benson can play guard and tackle, Josh Sales can play guard, Matt Bedford can play guard and tackle. Just trying to find the best combination. With Max (Longman) in the rotation, Mike Katic play center at times and (Zach) Carpenter can play guard. That position flexibility, we're working through that right now and I think that's important. ..

Defensively, we do have more bigger bodies that we can rotate, and keeping those guys fresh is going to be a priority. I think you're kind of getting to those eight to nine guys that you're going to rotate there that we feel good about. Those guys you saw in the scrimmage. …

With receiver, I think Omar Cooper continues to make more plays, E.J. (Williams) is showing up and making plays, D-Mac (Donaven McCulley) is continuing and DQ (DeQuece Carter) those guys and Andison (Coby), it's a lot of guys there that we're counting on. Obviously, Cam Camper he is a special talent, and he continues to bring his rep base along to allow him to continue to grow and develop. We're going to play a lot of guys at receiver and Kam Perry is another one, too …

I like our running back room, a guy that jumps out to me is Christian Turner. He hasn't been out there full-go as he will here as he continues to get healthier. We know what we got in Jaylin (Lucas) and Josh (Henderson) and
I just think having a third or fourth guy, [is important.] Trent (Howland) has really come along as well, David Holloman missed a little bit these last couple days, but he's back now and he has had his best camp.

DC CMG ..

Lanell Carr Jr. has been standing out in practice… He's done a great job at camp. He's high energy. You can feel him on the practice field. He brings physicality and pass rush ability which is unique to have that combination.

I hope the whole IU team stands out against OSU. Making OSU know they are in a game could cause them to make mistakes helping IU out.
Yes, Lagow and Cobbs got NFL contracts based on the last OSU opener in Bloomington.
They out executed the OSU Corner that afternoon.
The OSU DBs, in frustration, kept hitting Cobbs harder and harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Crimson Quarry thinks nothing is going on and the best IU can hope for is victories over Rutgers and Indiana State. (2-10)

Link withheld as nothing else is Newsworthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Crimson Quarry thinks nothing is going on and the best IU can hope for is victories over Rutgers and Indiana State. (2-9)

Link withheld as nothing else is Newsworthy.
There are a lot of people afraid to dream of a different season this time around but with coach Bostad coaching the OL and some top 150 players joining the team there is reason to hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT