ADVERTISEMENT

You have 4 choices.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
Ok, so John Wooden shows up at your doorstep, appearing as a "basketball wizard", and offers you 1 wish from 4 choices.

1. Darius Garland signs a letter of intent to IU for 2018 and Trace Jackson-Davis signs a letter of intent to IU for 2019.

2. Romeo Langford signs a letter of intent to IU for 2018.

3. Trendon Watford and Keion Brooks sign a letter of intent to IU for 2019.

4. He will grant all of the above, as well as Tom Crean returning as Head Coach for a minimum of 3 seasons.

Which choice would you make?

Ok, so John Wooden shows up at your doorstep, appearing as a "basketball wizard", and offers you 1 wish from 4 choices.

1. Darius Garland signs a letter of intent to IU for 2018 and Trace Jackson-Davis signs a letter of intent to IU for 2019.

4. He will grant all of the above, as well as Tom Crean returning as Head Coach for a minimum of 3 seasons.

Sorry, I can only eliminate one choice.
The others are too close for me to call.

If you get one does that mean you automatically lose the other 3?

For example, if I choose Langford at #2 does that mean that Garland, Watford, etc are all off the table?

Assuming one doesn't exclude the others, I'm going with #2 and Romeo. First off it makes a statement and gives us likely the best player available. Secondly, it can only help us with Watford, Brooks, and the rest of the 2019 class. Also Garland as well.

The domino in the group is Langford. If he comes, others will follow. For that reason I'm going 2.

By the way, you could give me the top 5 players overall in the next two classes and I still wouldn't pick #4. I'd rather miss on all of them than to see that clown coach one more IU game.

I choose to watch the recruiting drama unfold however, If I had to take Crean back I'd opt for none of the players (we really want them all) to keep Crean away.

If you get one does that mean you automatically lose the other 3?

For example, if I choose Langford at #2 does that mean that Garland, Watford, etc are all off the table?

Assuming one doesn't exclude the others, I'm going with #2 and Romeo. First off it makes a statement and gives us likely the best player available. Secondly, it can only help us with Watford, Brooks, and the rest of the 2019 class. Also Garland as well.

The domino in the group is Langford. If he comes, others will follow. For that reason I'm going 2.

By the way, you could give me the top 5 players overall in the next two classes and I still wouldn't pick #4. I'd rather miss on all of them than to see that clown coach one more IU game.

I agree. If we were to get Romeo, I think it will send a big signal to other top talent around IN and elsewhere about the direction of our program and makes all the other options more likely, except #4, which are all good for IU.

Choice #5 - IU gets them all because Archie Miller and his staff are now at IU!

Reactions: mazz
I'd take Crean, and all of those players. The scholarship situation will resolve itself...

I am soo confused. If you REALLY come in peace, why option #4?

:)

You a little worried about Archie?
NO. I think he's a good hire. I have no idea what to expect from him. He's off and running in his recruiting. A lot of people thought Tom Crean was a great hire. And tons of praise was heaped upon him for bringing IU back to respectability. It's a wait and see approach. Again he's a good hire.

Why is the entire B1G and basketball fans across the country glad that we land Brooks and Watford? I am definitely OK with that as an IU fan... although I dream of more :)!

Reactions: mazz

Clappy could make the Sweet 16 with that team. Maybe.

NO. I think he's a good hire. I have no idea what to expect from him. He's off and running in his recruiting. A lot of people thought Tom Crean was a great hire. And tons of praise was heaped upon him for bringing IU back to respectability. It's a wait and see approach. Again he's a good hire.

He did bring IU back to respectability, but his results were too inconsistent, he burned bridges in the state, and his recruiting fell off a cliff. The fanbase was pretty split on him during his time at IU. He did win 2/3 of his games over his last six seasons and brought a couple conference championships to Bloomington along with three Sweet Sixteen appearances. But we demand more. The change in culture and perception of the program since Archie took over has been amazing. Instate players are genuinely interested in IU again.

Why is the entire B1G and basketball fans across the country glad that we land Brooks and Watford? I am definitely OK with that as an IU fan... although I dream of more :)!

OOPS! I quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote this one.

I choose Tom Crean for 3 more years!!

Does crean get a raise to over 4 million when he returns? If that is the cast I am all in.

I'd choose Archie and any combination of recruits over Crean and the entire McD All-Amercan team.. Archie took a less talented Dayton team to the Elite 8, which is further than Crean took IU in almost a decade at IU. Archie achieved more at Dayton in a shorter period of time than Crean did with an IU team that was ranked #1 in the country, had 2 of the top 4 NBA Draft picks ( Oladipo, Cody) but was clueless at how to attack Boeheim''s match-up zone and was upset in the NCAA Tourney. Crean did bring IU out of the smoking crater left by Sampson, and back to being competitive, but his best teams far underachieved in the postseason in the BTT and NCAA, NIT Tournaments. Archie however, overachieved at Dayton and is off to a flying start at IU. Archie and his staff now appear to be poised for greatnes at IU.

Last edited:

#4 was looking good up until the comma . . . ;)

Reactions: IUgradman
If I had to pick one player most important to have at IU, it would be Romeo.
That would positively change the arc of recruiting in 2019 and long into the future affecting all future In-State and 5* Recruiting.
Romeo is literally the best Indiana HS player that I have watched in person in the last 20 years.
He would be a difference maker, Day 1 at IU.
And Romeo appears by all measures to be a high quality young man.
He is the Total Package.

Is Sam Gilbert Wooden's bag man there to pay our recruits like he did Wooden's? In that case we get them all.
Actually, whether Gilbert's (alleged) actions violate any NCAA rules depends on when it happened, because the rules and enforcement efforts/interest varied tremendously over the decades.

Actually, whether Gilbert's (alleged) actions violate any NCAA rules depends on when it happened, because the rules and enforcement efforts/interest varied tremendously over the decades.
Yes they did that's why he was banned for life. Wooden cheated his players said so. Walton and Hazzard admitted it.

Rick Pitino shows up on your doorstep with a Gym Bag filled with $100,000, and a hooker on one arm, and a mistress on the other arm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT