ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs. Morehead State Extended Highlights + Box Score & Analytics

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002

Didn't link the post-game vids because the audio sucks. Better versions or transcripts will hopefully surface. Worth noting that after the game was tied at 21, IU outscored Morehead St. 67 to 34. IU's Bench scored outscored IU's Starters 45 to 43.

Ill-considered observations/impressions:

1) Geronimo and Bates are much better than last year. Jordan can now put the ball on the Floor, is not getting lost on D (or at least not as much) and seems far more intense/focused. Bates is much stronger, more assertive and also seems to be more focused/intense.

2) Galloway has also improved, plays smart and is going to be an important contributor over the course of the Season. Want to say the same will be true of Kopp.

3) IU's Defense is going to be appreciably better than last year.

4) IU's Offense is going to be enormously better than last year.

5) Malik and Jalen are the real deal and worthy of their recruitment rankings.

6) Gunn and Banks are going to need to push themselves (and each other) all year to secure playing time. Same goes for Dumcombe or the primary rotation will only go nine deep.

7) Mike Woodson will be a frontrunner for B10 COY.

Last: Lightly regarded UNC Wilmington proved to be much more of a challenge for #1 UNC (@ IU Nov. 30) than expected.

Didn't link the post-game vids because the audio sucks. Better versions or transcripts will hopefully surface. Worth noting that after the game was tied at 21, IU outscored Morehead St. 67 to 34. IU's Bench scored outscored IU's Starters 45 to 43.

Ill-considered observations/impressions:

1) Geronimo and Bates are much better than last year. Jordan can now put the ball on the Floor, is not getting lost on D (or at least not as much) and seems far more intense/focused. Bates is much stronger, more assertive and also seems to be more focused/intense.

2) Galloway has also improved, plays smart and is going to be an important contributor over the course of the Season. Want to say the same will be true of Kopp.

3) IU's Defense is going to be appreciably better than last year.

4) IU's Offense is going to be enormously better than last year.

5) Malik and Jalen are the real deal and worthy of their recruitment rankings.

6) Gunn and Banks are going to need to push themselves (and each other) all year to secure playing time. Same goes for Dumcombe or the primary rotation will only go nine deep.

7) Mike Woodson will be a frontrunner for B10 COY.

Last: Lightly regarded UNC Wilmington proved to be much more of a challenge for #1 UNC (@ IU Nov. 30) than expected.
I don't know that Wilmington is any more lightly regarded than Morehead. I think both are supposed to win or challenge for their conference. Didn't we beat UNCW on our run in 2002... ghost of Brett Blizzard, maybe?

I watched a bit of the UNC game and they look really good to me. For all the accolades that Bacot gets, it's that backcourt that scares me. How did NW lose Nance, Kopp and a kid that looked really solid for Duke? That should've been a really good nucleus! Pretty funny because they said Scheyer jokingly said with their NW transfer they had to undo 4 years of bad coaching!

I don't know that Wilmington is any more lightly regarded than Morehead. I think both are supposed to win or challenge for their conference. Didn't we beat UNCW on our run in 2002... ghost of Brett Blizzard, maybe?

I watched a bit of the UNC game and they look really good to me. For all the accolades that Bacot gets, it's that backcourt that scares me. How did NW lose Nance, Kopp and a kid that looked really solid for Duke? That should've been a really good nucleus! Pretty funny because they said Scheyer jokingly said with their NW transfer they had to undo 4 years of bad coaching!

Good win

Tamar is stronger for sure but it seems obvious that he was never taught fundamental defensive footwork. I assume that is a point of emphasis for him in practice. If he could get his foot positioning right and stop reaching he would be a very good defender with less fouls against BIG-level players.

Gunn has a sweet shot and he wants to score badly. Needs to let the game come to him a bit more.

The splint and heavy wrap/cast on TJD's hand looks rough, but he worked around it pretty well.

Galloway looked good as noted

X is just pressing. Sports Psych in order?

Miller is Miller. What we know is what we get.

UNCW had state pride to play for.

One thing not mentioned was IU only had 10 turnovers. With the bench playing half (97) of the 200 total allotted minutes (40 mins per position), you would think the second unit would have a larger portion; however, both the starters and the bench each only had 5 TO's a piece.

We only put MSU on the foul line 5 times all night, so it makes sense that we only had 4 blocks. With that said, we didn't really outrebound MSU by much. With the talent level of our post and athleticism, we should hopefully improve that output on Thursday.

I suppose "lightly regarded" had more to do with their KP ranking of 200 or so and perhaps some wishful thinking on my part. Really want IU to hold court against them (UNC).

Good win

Tamar is stronger for sure but it seems obvious that he was never taught fundamental defensive footwork. I assume that is a point of emphasis for him in practice. If he could get his foot positioning right and stop reaching he would be a very good defender with less fouls against BIG-level players.

Gunn has a sweet shot and he wants to score badly. Needs to let the game come to him a bit more.

The splint and heavy wrap/cast on TJD's hand looks rough, but he worked around it pretty well.

Galloway looked good as noted

X is just pressing. Sports Psych in order?

Miller is Miller. What we know is what we get.

UNCW had state pride to play for.

Good points, though I just assume any D1 Team playing against a #1 ranked opponent is going to bring their 'A' game. Will be sure to watch Tamar's and other Players' footwork going forward - admit that I tend to watch the whole Floor rather individuals so while I have a sense of where everyone is and where individual defenders are in relation to their match-ups, I previously haven't looked to see/noticed much about what they're doing with their feet even though it is a critical aspect of one-on-one defense. Obliged for that.

One thing not mentioned was IU only had 10 turnovers. With the bench playing half (97) of the 200 total allotted minutes (40 mins per position), you would think the second unit would have a larger portion; however, both the starters and the bench each only had 5 TO's a piece.

We only put MSU on the foul line 5 times all night, so it makes sense that we only had 4 blocks. With that said, we didn't really outrebound MSU by much. With the talent level of our post and athleticism, we should hopefully improve that output on Thursday.
Seemed MoSU got their fair sure of lucky bounces off the glass last night, but you're absolutely right that IU's size/athletic advantage should be better reflected in rebounding disparity. Having two 'highlight reels waiting to happen' in TJD & Geronimo and frontcourt Players as fundamentally sound as Race and Malik ought to show out better than a 'slight' advantage. That being said, tip to Galloway for what I thought was the most impressive rebound of the night - he didn't stuff a missed shot back in the basket but never thought he could jump as high as he did on that missed FT or whatever it was where he just went soaring over everyone to grab the ball - had me swearing out loud in mild awe and a most pleasant surprise indeed.

Seemed MoSU got their fair sure of lucky bounces off the glass last night, but you're absolutely right that IU's size/athletic advantage should be better reflected in rebounding disparity. Having two 'highlight reels waiting to happen' in TJD & Geronimo and frontcourt Players as fundamentally sound as Race and Malik ought to show out better than a 'slight' advantage. That being said, tip to Galloway for what I thought was the most impressive rebound of the night - he didn't stuff a missed shot back in the basket but never thought he could jump as high as he did on that missed FT or whatever it was where he just went soaring over everyone to grab the ball - had me swearing out loud in mild awe and a most pleasant surprise indeed.

Yeah, you are right. There was an unreasonable number of bounces their way. My hope here is the lack of stats tied to aggressiveness (blocks, steals, and rebounds) is not going to be highly common. But they did have 21 TO's so there's that.

With that being said, why isn't ANYONE talking about the only real stat that truly matters. How many deflections did we have? vbg

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
I suppose "lightly regarded" had more to do with their KP ranking of 200 or so and perhaps some wishful thinking on my part. Really want IU to hold court against them (UNC).

Good points, though I just assume any D1 Team playing against a #1 ranked opponent is going to bring their 'A' game. Will be sure to watch Tamar's and other Players' footwork going forward - admit that I tend to watch the whole Floor rather individuals so while I have a sense of where everyone is and where individual defenders are in relation to their match-ups, I previously haven't looked to see/noticed much about what they're doing with their feet even though it is a critical aspect of one-on-one defense. Obliged for that.

I give UNC credit that way and would like to see IU schedule more of these early season games with teams from the state. Sure they will play harder, but I think it's good for both programs and personally I'd rather see us playing ISU, BSU, Eville etc... than Morehead St or Bethune Cookman and doubt we are that much more likely to lose any of those games just because they're in state.

Was Wilmington's KP that much different than Morehead? Seemed like pretty similar programs to me, in that both are supposed to compete for their conference titles I think. Couldn't see our game, but I watched the first half of the UNC game and thought Wilmington looked pretty solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkiefer7
More thoughts/observations after watching the highlights:

1) The luxury of being able to sub Malik & Jordan for Trayce & Race is mildly obscene.

2) Watching Trayce & Race feed each other down low makes it appear as if they see one another as an extension of themselves. Malik & Jalen might have some of that going on as well.

3) Bates's midrange jumper looks as good or better than Hood-Schifino's.

4) Xavier lob passes toward the rim continue to be things of beauty.

5) IU seems to simply be much much better and more fundamentally sound in every respect than last year (first half FT woes not withstanding - note they did manage to go 8-11 in the 2nd half).

I didn’t get to watch, but from the box score:

IU had 12 team fouls. race and Trace combined for zero. MR had 4 fouls in 17 minutes and X had 3 fouls in 20. No other player had more than 1 foul.

coach commented on X being “in foul trouble”. It’s something to watch for this year. Race and Trace will get the benefit of the no call due to being upperclassmen. The freshmen will not. We have so much frontcourt depth that MR picking up quick fouls won’t hurt us…..

It will be an issue if either X or Hood-S are in foul trouble. JHS has to realize he's a freshman and may not get the benefit of the call. X needs to resist the urge to be a hybrid version of Ron Artest and Brad Davidson.

IU had 12 team fouls. race and Trace combined for zero. MR had 4 fouls in 17 minutes and X had 3 fouls in 20. No other player had more than 1 foul.

coach commented on X being “in foul trouble”. It’s something to watch for this year. Race and Trace will get the benefit of the no call due to being upperclassmen. The freshmen will not. We have so much frontcourt depth that MR picking up quick fouls won’t hurt us…..

It will be an issue if either X or Hood-S are in foul trouble. JHS has to realize he's a freshman and may not get the benefit of the call. X needs to resist the urge to be a hybrid version of Ron Artest and Brad Davidson.
Is there such a thing as too few fouls? When playing in real games with refs, I always felt I should get at least a couple fouls to avoid giving up easy baskets and to learn where the refs foul threshold was that game... figured I wasn't being as physical as I could be if I didn't know where the line was. In watching more games where you want to foul to put a team at the line it seems it would be good to be at 5-6 fouls in case you do need that as a strategy. I don't know how you play a game without fouling. Yes, I was a hack!

Reactions: .Gerdis
Is there such a thing as too few fouls? When playing in real games with refs, I always felt I should get at least a couple fouls to avoid giving up easy baskets and to learn where the refs foul threshold was that game... figured I wasn't being as physical as I could be if I didn't know where the line was. In watching more games where you want to foul to put a team at the line it seems it would be good to be at 5-6 fouls in case you do need that as a strategy. I don't know how you play a game without fouling. Yes, I was a hack!
I agree, and would add that your recipe needs to be tweaked depending on depth, venue and style. In other words, fouling to send a statement to the other team is easiest to get away with if you had the depth (contrast to the at NU game last year). It’s logical to assume you get away with more at home, so perhaps push the envelop more?

Reasons for low fouls - 1) refs allowing a good bit of contact, 2) Morehead settling for a lot of 3's (30 of 54 shots), and not doing much driving or doing much in the post (forwards only attempted 7 total shots)

On X's foul trouble, one foul was a ticky-tack bump which seemed out of place in a game where the refs were allowing contact and another shouldn't have been a foul as the shooter kicked is leg out to draw contact

Reasons for low fouls - 1) refs allowing a good bit of contact, 2) Morehead settling for a lot of 3's (30 of 54 shots), and not doing much driving or doing much in the post (forwards only attempted 7 total shots)

On X's foul trouble, one foul was a ticky-tack bump which seemed out of place in a game where the refs were allowing contact and another shouldn't have been a foul as the shooter kicked is leg out to draw contact
Thanks, I didn’t see the game. Tried to get into the game day chat, but was too late.

Any comment on Malik getting 4 fouls?

Thanks, I didn’t see the game. Tried to get into the game day chat, but was too late.

Any comment on Malik getting 4 fouls?
Pretty sure one was a moving screen (probably expected as a frosh), but don't really recall any others which probably just means they were probably just typical contact fouls during rebounds/shots.

another shouldn't have been a foul as the shooter kicked is leg out to draw contact
He kicked his leg up showing the refs at least 15 times. It was pretty funny. Woody was giving it to the refs too.

He kicked his leg up showing the refs at least 15 times. It was pretty funny. Woody was giving it to the refs too.
And probably half of the those kicks, the refs weren't even looking in his direction nor did it seem like he was trying to get their attention. It was like he developed this nervous tic

Reactions: Cavanagh
And probably half of the those kicks, the refs weren't even looking in his direction nor did it seem like he was trying to get their attention. It was like he developed this nervous tic
It was awesome

I despise that move and even moreso when it is not called. The carson edwards kick out.

More thoughts/observations after watching the highlights:

1) The luxury of being able to sub Malik & Jordan for Trayce & Race is mildly obscene.

2) Watching Trayce & Race feed each other down low makes it appear as if they see one another as an extension of themselves. Malik & Jalen might have some of that going on as well.

3) Bates's midrange jumper looks as good or better than Hood-Schifino's.

4) Xavier lob passes toward the rim continue to be things of beauty.

5) IU seems to simply be much much better and more fundamentally sound in every respect than last year (first half FT woes not withstanding - note they did manage to go 8-11 in the 2nd half).
Thanks for posting these highlights. Race and TJD working together will be fun to watch this year. No early season timing issues there.

I realize these are highlights but don't see all the concern about X. He made some nice plays and his stats aren't bad, except for fouls.

Love the midrange game from JHS. It's a new dimension to our offense that will make us more efficient.

MR used his right hand on at least one score in the first half. Had read here didn't use it.

Geronimo means business this year. If he keeps it up we'll only go up in our ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT