ADVERTISEMENT

You guys need to hire Nate Oats

MiamiWolv

Newcomer
Nov 2, 2006
Guy is a terrific coach and is from the Midwest and no one would ever confuse Alabama basketball with IU.

Extension won’t mean much if IU comes calling with a bigger check. Doubt it’ll be this year tho anyway.
10 million to buy out Archie, 10 million more to Alabama, plus 5 mil a year, for 6 years?

Might as well wait a year, when the buyout drops to 3 million, and see what happens. Oats will still be there. Arch could turn it around, or there might be some other up and comer to look at.

10 million to buy out Archie, 10 million more to Alabama, plus 5 mil a year, for 6 years?

Might as well wait a year, when the buyout drops to 3 million, and see what happens. Oats will still be there. Arch could turn it around, or there might be some other up and comer to look at.
If we are going to spend 50 million over 6 years for a coach, might as well chase Brad Stevens.

I put studied Oats a bit recently. I will say that I don't think he is a fluke. However, I personally just don't love his style of play. But the positives are he is cutting edge, he can recruit, he is young, and he has a vision/coaching plan that works and has shown returns in 3 levels (high school, mid major, SEC). He was heavily endorsed by Izzo and of course Hurley.

If IU landed him, I would be intrigued if not entirely elate, but I think he is a bit like Jerry Tarkanian if I had to compare him. Sort of a modern version.

I put studied Oats a bit recently. I will say that I don't think he is a fluke. However, I personally just don't love his style of play. But the positives are he is cutting edge, he can recruit, he is young, and he has a vision/coaching plan that works and has shown returns in 3 levels (high school, mid major, SEC). He was heavily endorsed by Izzo and of course Hurley.

If IU landed him, I would be intrigued if not entirely elate, but I think he is a bit like Jerry Tarkanian if I had to compare him. Sort of a modern version.
Bama takes almost 50% of it's shots from 3. They lead the nation in lowest % of long 2's at 12%. Analytics say that this is the way to play, but I don't think I'm buying it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out vs really good teams. The combination of the radical offensive philosophy and suffocating defense might turn out to be lethal... we'll see

Bama takes almost 50% of it's shots from 3. They lead the nation in lowest % of long 2's at 12%. Analytics say that this is the way to play, but I don't think I'm buying it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out vs really good teams. The combination of the radical offensive philosophy and suffocating defense might turn out to be lethal... we'll see
And it is too vulnerable to cold shooting nights.

Reactions: BHAII
And it is too vulnerable to cold shooting nights.
It's not like they shoot it great either. I think they are right about 35% from deep, so I'm sure they've had some bad shooting nights. Imo, it's the fact that they also defend the 3 so well that makes it work. If they played Iowa level D, they would have had a losing record. Dude may have figured out the cheat code for winning college basketball games.... but I doubt it

Reactions: BHAII and T.M.P.

Yes. Personally I don't like it. But I must admit that after a bit of study I find his current success to be bona fide. He knows what he wants from his guys and has coached it that way and they are winning.

He may be highly dependent of good recruiting with his style of play. That kind of thing doesn't always transfer to long term success but as skeptical as I was, I do think the guy is getting the returns he expected and has planned for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT