ADVERTISEMENT

YEE OF LITTLE FAITH...BOOM!!

but if you miss on the home run hire (Alford IMO is not a "home run hire") I'd just as soon gamble on someone like Archie than embark on yet another division of the fanbase like an Alford hire could provoke
Alford would have the support of 99% of the fan base. He'd have A LOT more support than Archie Miller. If you said the name Archie Miller to the casual fan, half of them would respond "who?". Every single one would know Alford.

Alford would have the support of 99% of the fan base. He'd have A LOT more support than Archie Miller. If you said the name Archie Miller to the casual fan, half of them would respond "who?". Every single one would know Alford.
So is Alford your prediction? King Nastradamus.

That might be true but you and I know that Archie would probably be the better hire. Especially in the long run.

So is Alford your prediction? King Nastradamus.

That might be true but you and I know that Archie would probably be the better hire. Especially in the long run.
No he's not my prediction but there are powerful people lobbying for him. And I disagree that he wouldn't do better than Archie. Neither one is my top choice but I'll take Alford every single day of the week over Archie.

Maybe half, maybe as much as three quarters if you really stretch it out, but no way he'd have 99% support.
Half? Really? Are you being even remotely serious?

The next time you're out at a bar and you see someone wearing an IU shirt ask them what their opinion of Alford is. I can almost guarantee you the person will rave about him. The guy is a legend in Indiana.

The only reason some people don't like him is because of the Pierce situation. I'd be willing to wager 95% of casual IU fans wouldn't even know what you're talking about if you asked them about it. And 95% is being extremely conservative. Sure it's a story on message boards with fanatics, but the casual fan doesn't even know that exists.

I have been with you all along and could not believe those that could not see the writing on the wall.
I agree. Everything was pointing to this day coming. Not that I knew anything, but many things happening over the past year, plus pointed in this direction.

The next time you're out at a bar and you see someone wearing an IU shirt ask them what their opinion of Alford is. I can almost guarantee you the person will rave about him. The guy is a legend in Indiana.

The only reason some people don't like him is because of the Pierce situation. I'd be willing to wager 95% of casual IU fans wouldn't even know what you're talking about if you asked them about it. And 95% is being extremely conservative. Sure it's a story on message boards with fanatics, but the casual fan doesn't even know that exists.
If they're under 35, they probably never saw him play at IU. I didn't bring up his dreadful conduct in the Pierce matter, but a public re-airing of that matter wouldn't do him any favors. 75% tops, and probably not that much.

No, someone forced Glass's hand, and it wasn't Crean.
Damn! How many times are you going to tease with this - you are obviously dying to show what you know. So let me help so you don't have to violate sources. Hint.....the building used to just be called Assembly Hall.

What have I been saying for months/weeks/days now? This was decided quite some time ago....obviously well before deciding not to host the NIT game.

I'm usually not one to say this but since I got ridiculed for months on here I just can't resist...I F'ING TOLD YOU SO! Indiana is on its way back! This is just the beginning of some MAJOR moves. Stay tuned.

Go Hoosiers!
Shame on you.

Fred has wanted to do this for a long time. As I've said many times, Fred made a big mistake with the extension/buyout...no question. But he's been waiting for the time to fix it for awhile now. And obviously he just did.

I haven't heard anything new on replacements. Glass really was waiting on that until he pulled the trigger on Crean. Will update more when I know it.
Not extending Crean last year seemed way significant. I always wondered whether the way last year played out may have looked differently from the inside.

What have I been saying for months/weeks/days now? This was decided quite some time ago....obviously well before deciding not to host the NIT game.

I'm usually not one to say this but since I got ridiculed for months on here I just can't resist...I F'ING TOLD YOU SO! Indiana is on its way back! This is just the beginning of some MAJOR moves. Stay tuned.

Go Hoosiers!

So either you are lying or Fred Glass is lying. Which is it? Glass said he made the decision on Wednesday night. So someone is lying.

I seriously doubt it's "99%" as lots of people on here and Peegs don't want him.

My buddy in Indy, who doesn't post, is dead set against him.

Bullcrap. Not even close to 99%. The way he handled the Pierce debacle. His ineptness in the NCAA tournament (way worse than Crean). 99%. LOL

Actually, I think most people don't like him because of Pierce AND that he's a crappy coach.

Even if the Pierce thing never happened, I wouldn't want him at IU.

Actually, I think most people don't like him because of Pierce AND that he's a crappy coach.

Even if the Pierce thing never happened, I wouldn't want him at IU.
I'll go a step further....when Steve Alford decided to coach at Iowa...a conference foe....that did it for me....He could have and should have coached outside the Big 10....but he said....and his words.."I've always been a Big 10 guy".....wtf? But, but, but.....IU is his dream job?

If IU were truly his dream job.....there were many opportunities outside the conference available to him....to wait his turn at IU.....that did not happen.

mark in down in a little book or journal... if we land Alford, it will be epic!! i have this feeling, the missing piece to the puzzle is Alford. remember this chat..im saying it first, IU needs Alford and Alford needs IU. watch..hello Kris Wilkes and with guys we already have, watch out!! JS!

I am enjoying your back and forth but I am an IU grad, season ticket holder, following since a kid and the late 60's. I loved Alford the player but not Alford the coach. One simple example I showed someone on the premium board was comparing Alford's UCLA defensive rankings with Crean's last 4 years at IU. About the same and both bad.

I am in the fan crowd that wants to see some disciplined fundamentals at both ends of the court and that was not Crean and is not Alford.

I don't have either of your sources and understand many donors would think Alford would unify but the only boxes he really checks is being from Indiana and his IU connection. There is nothing in his coaching record that would put him above any of the other top choices.

I did not see all of Dakich's tweets but I did see him call Buckner (BOT) lazy by saying it would be too much work for him to be on the search team. Is that who you were referring to Fredrica or someone else that has had all this influence on Fred?

I can tell you that I have talked to a lot of season ticket holders that don't want Alford because of his coaching and the Pierce thing is only added bad press on the selection.

Last edited:
I am enjoying your back and forth but I am an IU grad, season ticket holder, following since a kid and the late 60's. I loved Alford the player but not Alford the coach. One simple example I showed someone on the premium board was comparing Alford's UCLA defensive rankings with Crean's last 4 years at IU. About the same and both bad.

I am in the fan crowd that wants to see some disciplined fundamentals at both ends of the court and that was not Crean and is not Alford.

I don't have either of your sources and understand many donors would think Alford would unify but the only boxes he really checks is being from Indiana and his IU connection. There is nothing in his coaching record that would put him above any of the other top choices.

I did not see all of Dakich's tweets but I did see him call Buckner (BOT) lazy by saying it would be too much work for him to be on the search team. Is that who you were referring to Fredrica or someone else that has had all this influence on Fred?

I can tell you that I have talked to a lot of season ticket holders that don't want Alford because of his coaching and the Pierce thing is only added bad press on the selection.
Not that it's a big deal but SA isn't like TC where it's always offense only. For example iirc he led the nation in defensenone year at Iowa. TC crams th square peg in the round hole, SA seems to adjust his approach to fit his personnel

Not that it's a big deal but SA isn't like TC where it's always offense only. For example iirc he led the nation in defensenone year at Iowa. TC crams th square peg in the round hole, SA seems to adjust his approach to fit his personnel

You are correct he did 11 years ago but like Crean his teams are very inconsistent and does not usually mean long term sustained success for his teams. Quality defense is not a staple of his teams.

You are correct he did 11 years ago but like Crean his teams are very inconsistent and does not usually mean long term sustained success for his teams. Quality defense is not a staple of his teams.
Alford is doing fine at UCLA...he should continue doing fine at UCLA.....The more I see him from a distance, the better I like him.

Members of the faculty have started a campaign via social media to get people to email or call Fred Glass and oppose Steve Alford. This is going to be another divisive hire if it happens.

Coach K, Self, Pitino, Roy kill it because, in part, they have really good players. Duh, right. My gut is that Alford would recruit extremely well at Indiana and with that talent, suddenly his coaching begins to look a lot better. It's not like great coaching is all magic. That's all I'm sayin. I would choose Donovan and Sean Miller over Alford, but not sure I would choose Bennett, Archie, or even Marshall over Steve. I am just not sold that the other three could recruit at a high enough level. That's my biggest concern.

Reactions: brianiu
I seriously doubt it's "99%" as lots of people on here and Peegs don't want him.

My buddy in Indy, who doesn't post, is dead set against him.

Lots of people on here and peegs make up a few thousand people. The fan base and alumni probably goes into the hundreds of thousands. He's right, all casual fans would love Alford

This was a hilarious thread to read. Since the loss in B1G tourney, I was saying without a doubt, Crean is getting fired. I was shocked when people started to waver out of fear. Why? Because it seemed incredibly obvious by the lack of response from Glass. No sources, no inside knowledge to pretend to have. That's the same thing FP did and he came back here pounding his chest as if he brought some magical information. Ugh, don't be that weird dude. You knew nothing more than anyone else but were making an obvious statement many on here were making.

Reactions: Squarepants
Members of the faculty have started a campaign via social media to get people to email or call Fred Glass and oppose Steve Alford. This is going to be another divisive hire if it happens.

I don't know if on the merits Alford would be the right hire or not, but you people hung up on the "Pierre Pierce thing" need to go whine to someone who might give a shit, like Gloria Steinhem. If Fred thinks he's right for the job, he should be hired, and to hell with the whining of some irrational, limp-wristed, virtue signalers.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Wonder how the faculty would feel if coaches began opposing hires in academics and posting it to Facebook.
It's a fair question. I guess the point is that the Pierce situation (regardless of whether you think it matters) isn't easily swept under the rug. There is going to be a backlash.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
I don't know if on the merits Alford would be the right hire or not, but you people hung up on the "Pierre Pierce thing" need to go whine to someone who might give a shit, like Gloria Steinhem. If Fred thinks he's right for the job, he should be hired, and to hell with the whining of some irrational, limp-wristed, virtue signalers.

I simply shared the info. I didn't editorialize at all. So you don't know a damn thing about what I think. I'm not saying it's good, bad, or indifferent. What I am saying ( in relation to the comment I was replying to) is that this will NOT be a universally embraced hire at all.

If you don't think the Pierce thing won't be divisive, you need to go back and read what happened at the press conference to announce Alford at UCLA. He and the AD got ambushed by the press. Looked awful, made contradicting claims, had an FOA claim filed against the university and ultimately were forced to publicly apologize at a later press conference. It was a complete s**t show. If this is Fred's guy he better have his ducks in a row because it won't be all hugs and candy striped unicorns.

Reactions: JohnsyRick

Right, like when Bob said just sit back and enjoy the rape, we should have just applauded the man, right. My God.

UCLA hired a scumbag, and IU doesn't need to do the same.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/31/bernstein-ucla-hired-a-scumbag/

Reactions: rcaulfie
If he is a scumbag (your words) will you never post here again if IU hires him? It seems a man with your high character wouldn't stand for that.

Read the article and the author of the article, not just my words. Read the comments from Iowa, New Mexico. For years we turned a blind eye to Knight's behavior, even though it was boorish and embarrassing. If we hire Alford, we will have done it again, only this time we knew ahead of time.

Why would I stop posting? I don't care for the current President, did I move to Canada? Am I not allowed to be an American? Would the same be true if the IU coach was a complete scumbag, as many have stated? I can no longer follow the program or comment on it?

I did, actually. I bet you never even watched the Chung interview.

Seen it many times. I was a student at the time. He's lucky he said it when he did. If that remark came out today, with social media,.he would have been fired within days due to the pressure. Those kind of remarks one could get away with in the late 1980's, especially coming off a title.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT