ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Musketeers

All you guys are talking about is how loud AH is at it's loudest, but read DCDAVIDs post... the crowd at Cameron has often impacted the other team BEFORE the game even starts. It's not just the noise at it's loudest point, it's the constant noise, disrupting the other team in warmups, buzzing in their ears and reaching out when inboundings, etc... If you ever get the chance to go to Cameron, I'd recommend showing up 90 minutes early (or however early they'll let you in). Spend 30 minutes walking around checking out the outer area and displays but be in your seat 45-60 minutes before tipoff and watch the Crazies. It will be full 45 minutes beforehand and they'll be doing their thing the entire time the other team is shooting around and warming up. They'll be loud too when their team is rolling, but they'll also have helped them before the ball is even tipped in most cases.
Don't drag me into this - your circus not mine. I don't give a FF about Cameron and haven't said a thing about it (even if I did imply that it simply isn't in the same league as AH in terms of potential volume). I like AH and I like that it is loud. That's all.

Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Get back to me when you've gone to Cameron... and not when the students are on break. AH is only loud DURING a game when IU is playing well. Cameron is affecting the other team before the game and from tipoff onward. And, it's not just the noise level, it's the intensity of everything together.

It's like saying hamburgers are the best meal ever, but of course I've never tried anything else!

PS. and what 85stars said is absolutely true: it's the players and not Cameron, but it gives them an advantage and boost in every game. Why do you think K worked so hard to insure that it stayed that way? He knew it was a big advantage.
I'm not going to Dook to set in a HS arena. AH drowns out any small venue.

I'm not going to Dook to set in a HS arena. AH drowns out any small venue.
I love visiting other great venues. Been to Reynolds at NC State, and Carmichael at UNC (What a shame they don't play a game or 2 each year here instead of the antiseptic Dean Dome) and many others. Wish I'd road tripped and hit more in the Big 10 when I was there.

Last edited:
I love visiting other great venues. Been to Reynolds at NC State, and Carmichael at UNC (What a shame they don't play a game or 2 each year here instead of the anticeptic Dean Dome) and many others. Wish I'd road tripped and hit more in the Big 10 when I was there.
I think we can all agree that a venue can make a difference, and it isn’t all about the number of people. I have been to the old Chicago Stadium before it was replaced by the United center. The capacity at the fancier UC was 3000 more, but there is no comparison when talking about noise (that old stadium rocked). I know you have mentioned the Dean Dome, and there are plenty of other examples.

Reactions: kkott
I think we can all agree that a venue can make a difference, and it isn’t all about the number of people. I have been to the old Chicago Stadium before it was replaced by the United center. The capacity at the fancier UC was 3000 more, but there is no comparison when talking about noise (that old stadium rocked). I know you have mentioned the Dean Dome, and there are plenty of other examples.
Yep, those capped low roofs, hold and reflect the sound in. The game isn't being played in the balcony and having the students down close to the floor is a definite advantage and one K fought to keep.... for a reason!

Reactions: .Gerdis
Yep, those capped low roofs, hold and reflect the sound in. The game isn't being played in the balcony and having the students down close to the floor is a definite advantage and one K fought to keep.... for a reason!

I’ve only been to K ville once but it was
The IU game that was competitive for 30 mins. I was unimpressed with the atmosphere.

and I've been about 6X and I've watched 2 of our teams, both of which I thought had pretty decent talent, come out and look lost to begin the game. Last time (Romeo) we never recovered, but the earlier game (probably 2005-6 ish) we played them pretty well the last 30 minutes, but could never get over the hole we dug ourselves the first 10 minutes when we looked lost. If you think AH is worth more as a home court advantage, I feel pretty comfortable in saying your wrong when the folks I'm arguing with I think have each been there once (loss!) and the other guy never.

My whole point in this was the UNC is an experienced team, and all their returning players have the experience of going in to Cameron for K's final game and beating them even with the heat of their rivalry, so they won't sweat coming to AH. Now, if we get rolling and the fans get amped, that will be interesting to see.

Can we get back to discussing Xavier in this thread? I love AH and respect Cameron, but this matchup will be an interesting one. I don't know much about Xavier and their roster, or Sean Miller's style of play for that matter, so if some could add to that it would be much appreciated. I do know they have Jerome Hunter and he will be out for blood. Look for him to be aggressive from 3. He's capable of going off. Ultimately I think IU's defense, depth, and star power over 40 min will be the difference. Have to do the simple things in this one, make FT's, limit fouls, and limit TO's.

if Hunter goes off we are not playing defense
Going off for him would be something like 4 of 5 from 3, with a couple garbage rebound 2 pointers mixed in. He's 6-8 with length, so he can get his shot off when he wants, we just need to make sure it isn't in rhythm or wide open.

Cintas Center is an underrated venue and can get very loud. Xavier very passionate about their basketball.

Reactions: kkott
Cintas Center is an underrated venue and can get very loud. Xavier very passionate about their basketball.
Isn't there a poster that lives near Xavier and follows them a bit (maybe UD?). I'm sort of surprised we're going there; is this a home and home, and they come to Btown next year? I wonder if CMW just wanted a good true road test early in the season?

Isn't there a poster that lives near Xavier and follows them a bit (maybe UD?). I'm sort of surprised we're going there; is this a home and home, and they come to Btown next year? I wonder if CMW just wanted a good true road test early in the season?
We are going to Xavier because it’s the Gavitt game (BT vs Big East) matchup that we were assigned

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT