ADVERTISEMENT

Look at Banks, Gunn, and Sparks stat-wise....so far

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Thought it interesting to take a look at how these 3 guys are doing so far stat-wise, as they all appear to be very important to a successful year.......

The #s below are their production for every 40 minutes played. While it's a small sample size, it does appear to be instructive...

Banks: Has played a total of 58 minutes. Here are his #s for every 40M played:

2.1/3.4, 60%, on 2 point attempts
.7/1.5, 50%, on 3 pters
1.4/4.8, 28.6%, on FTs
9.7 rebs; 2.8 assists; 2.1 steals; 2.8 blocks; 1.4 TOs; 6.9 fouls; 7.6 points

takeaways...unusual is that he's being very productive in every stat other than scoring....and in that stat he's being efficient, except for FTs. I've been somewhat skeptical of his upside because I didn't see him being exceptional in any one area, but he's killing it in rebounding, steals, and blocks, and he's got a 2 to 1 assist//TO ratio. If he can continue to contribute in areas other than scoring, the scoring will probably come around in the end. Does foul a lot.

Gunn: 68 minutes played to date

4.1/10.00, 41.2%. on 2s
0/2.4 on 3s
1.8/2.4, 75% on FTs
2.4 rebs; 1.2 assists; 3.5 steals; 0 blocks; 2.4 TOs; 2.9 fouls; 10.0 points

takeaways.....Really strange in that so far he's taken 4x as many 2s than 3s. Only 4 3s attempted (o made) so far. Not many rebounds for a 6'6" guard. Few assists and a 1 to 2 assists/TO ratio. Positives are he doesn't foul much and his steals # is very good. The fact that he's played 10 more minutes than Banks so far this year points to him being real good in practice and/or Woody thinking his shooting, if he ever gets it going, could be crucial.

Sparks: 38 minutes so far this year. Missed 1 game

5.3/8.4, 62.5%, on 2s
0 3s attempted
2.1/10.5, 20% on FTs
8.4 rebs; 0 assists; 1.1 steals; 2.1 blocks; 3.2 TOs; 5.3 fouls; 12.6 points

takeaways....I've always been a Sparks fan. He obviously gets to the foul line a lot. Career wise, he's a 60% FT shooter, so that's a mixed blessing. So far he's been unable to finish through fouls, but I hope he will do so as the gets more experience against better players. His scoring and rebounding #s at BSU per 40M last year were 18.1 and 11.9, so the IU #s of 12.6 & 8.4 do show some difficulty adjusting. I'm hoping and expect that those #s will close up some as he adjusts toithe new situation.

Thoughts?

Reactions: .Gerdis
Thought it interesting to take a look at how these 3 guys are doing so far stat-wise, as they all appear to be very important to a successful year.......

The #s below are their production for every 40 minutes played. While it's a small sample size, it does appear to be instructive...

.7/1.5, 50%, on 3 pters
1.4/4.8, 28.6%, on FTs

takeaways...unusual is that he's being very productive in every stat other than scoring....and in that stat he's being efficient, except for FTs. I've been somewhat skeptical of his upside because I didn't see him being exceptional in any one area, but he's killing it in rebounding, steals, and blocks, and he's got a 2 to 1 assist//TO ratio. If he can continue to contribute in areas other than scoring, the scoring will probably come around in the end. Does foul a lot.

4.1/10.00, 41.2%. on 2s
0/2.4 on 3s
1.8/2.4, 75% on FTs

takeaways.....Really strange in that so far he's taken 4x as many 2s than 3s. Only 4 3s attempted (o made) so far. Not many rebounds for a 6'6" guard. Few assists and a 1 to 2 assists/TO ratio. Positives are he doesn't foul much and his steals # is very good. The fact that he's played 10 more minutes than Banks so far this year points to him being real good in practice and/or Woody thinking his shooting, if he ever gets it going, could be crucial.

5.3/8.4, 62.5%, on 2s
0 3s attempted
2.1/10.5, 20% on FTs

takeaways....I've always been a Sparks fan. He obviously gets to the foul line a lot. Career wise, he's a 60% FT shooter, so that's a mixed blessing. So far he's been unable to finish through fouls, but I hope he will do so as the gets more experience against better players. His scoring and rebounding #s at BSU per 40M last year were 18.1 and 11.9, so the IU #s of 12.6 & 8.4 do show some difficulty adjusting. I'm hoping and expect that those #s will close up some as he adjusts toithe new situation.

Thoughts?

I would add....not only are these guys important for this year.....they will be even more important for next year, I hope all three stay and prosper.

Reactions: Gage Fu and .Gerdis

.7/1.5, 50%, on 3 pters
1.4/4.8, 28.6%, on FTs

4.1/10.00, 41.2%. on 2s
0/2.4 on 3s
1.8/2.4, 75% on FTs

5.3/8.4, 62.5%, on 2s
0 3s attempted
2.1/10.5, 20% on FTs

Thoughts?
Still early in the year for all of them and both Banks and Sparks are returning from injuries, so they've probably played fewer minutes than they might have normally. CJ getting minutes, imo, has zero to do with what CMW thinks he can do offensively. He's getting minutes because he defends, hard, and on the perimeter, where we've been struggling. And, no it doesn't surprise me he's taking more 2s than 3s. As I've been saying for some time, to get a guy on track just encourage him to go play, be opportunistic and take good shots he's confident in. Once he start's scoring and hits a few 3s, I think he'll go back to them being a higher percentage of the shots he takes.

Not sure what to think about Banks FT shooting. I think his shot looks good overall, including on 3s, but I'm never buying a guy as a "good" shooter who doesn't hit at least 75% of his FTs. I think he struggled on FTs last year too. Might just be too small a sample size, but I'd be challenging him to get his FT % up ASAP. He's too good a shooter to be missing so many.

Last edited:
Still early in the year for all of them and both Banks and Sparks are returning from injuries, so they've probably played fewer minutes than they might have normally. CJ getting minutes, imo, has zero to do with what CMW thinks he can do offensively. He's getting minutes because he defends, hard, and on the perimeter, where we've been struggling. And, no it doesn't surprise me he's taking more 2s than 3s. As I've been saying for some time, to get a guy on track just encourage him to go play, be opportunistic and take good shots he's confident in. Once he start's scoring and hits a few 3s, I think he'll go back to them being a higher percentage of the shots he takes.

Not sure what to think about Banks FT shooting. I think his shot looks good overall, including on 3s, but I'm never buying a guy as a "good" shooter who doesn't hit at least 75% of his 3s. I think he struggled on FTs last year too. Might just be too small a sample size, but I'd be challenging him to get his FT % up ASAP. He's too good a shooter to be missing so many.

I like your thinking with respect to Banks as well as Gunn. We've got enough guys who will force shots as it is. But I do think it's crucial to Gunn's value that he start making some 3s. He doesn't offer much with respect to rebounding (2.9 every 40M career) or assisting (1.8 every 40M career). I think he's playing right now because Woodson doesn't have many options.

Banks and Gunn would both benefit by a faster pace. And it was interesting and surprising to me to see how Sparks got up and down the floor v. UL. At his size he's not going to do that for 30M a game, but he might be able to do it for 15M per game....7 1/2 each half.......

Banks and Gunn would both benefit by a faster pace
I believe our entire team would. Even our big guys run well. We've got to get stops on D and rebound the ball, but when we do, I'd encourage them to be pushing the pace at every opportunity. We're not going to get extra pts from 3s, so get them in transition and look for our "shooters" on the break too. The best way to get an unguarded 3.

Reactions: sglowrider
I believe our entire team would. Even our big guys run well. We've got to get stops on D and rebound the ball, but when we do, I'd encourage them to be pushing the pace at every opportunity. We're not going to get extra pts from 3s, so get them in transition and look for our "shooters" on the break too. The best way to get an unguarded 3.

Yes....Johnson and Galloway are also better in transition.........doesn't seem like Woody is really pushing the pace. He may think they can't handle it (TOs)

.7/1.5, 50%, on 3 pters
1.4/4.8, 28.6%, on FTs

4.1/10.00, 41.2%. on 2s
0/2.4 on 3s
1.8/2.4, 75% on FTs

5.3/8.4, 62.5%, on 2s
0 3s attempted
2.1/10.5, 20% on FTs

Thoughts?
The season is still young.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
I don't know what Banks is? Gunn can't shoot but defends pretty good. Sparks is a decent guy off the bench that brings toughness. Not to bash all three but if any had to start Indiana will be in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT