ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Musketeers

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
I know at this point its hard to take any early season opponent too seriously but Xavier looked polished offensively vs Morgan State. They had 5 guys that finished with 6 or more rebounds (47 in total), got to the FT line 36 times and made 27. 10 blocks and 4 guys scored 14 or more pts (and Jerome Hunter added 11pts 9rebs, 2asts, 2blks, 1stl off the bench).

With that said, they had 20 turnovers against a Morgan State defense. I would imagine Indiana will cause them a little more frustration and hopefully doesn't put them at the foul line 36 times.

Last edited:
I know at this point its hard to take any early season opponent too seriously but Xavier looked polished offensively vs Morgan State. They had 5 guys that finished with 6 or more rebounds (47 in total), got to the FT line 36 times and made 27. 10 blocks and 4 guys scored 14 or more pts (and Jerome Hunter added 11pts 9rebs, 2asts, 2blks, 1stl off the bench).

With that said, they had 20 turnovers against a Morgan State defense. I would imagine Indiana will cause them a little more frustration and hopefully doesn't put them at the foul line 36 times.
With the Millers in charge they will sure try. They like getting to the foul line.

I thought you were talking about XJ against Morehead St.... My brain did a couple somersaults before I finally read it correctly.... JH likely to have a career night next Friday

Reactions: YOTHN
I thought you were talking about XJ against Morehead St.... My brain did a couple somersaults before I finally read it correctly.... JH likely to have a career night next Friday
Valid point. I just updated the subject line to included "Musketeers".

Reactions: kkott
This will be a real test. Sean has most certainly had this game circled all year. I think we have a much better chance against AZ and UNC.
Good tough test? I agree. Better chance than vs UNC... doubt that! UNC is really good, and while I hope AH is a big factor, they're not going to be intimidated by a venue.

Good tough test? I agree. Better chance than vs UNC... doubt that! UNC is really good, and while I hope AH is a big factor, they're not going to be intimidated by a venue.
ESPNs matchup predictor gives us a 46% chance against X and a 67% chance against UNC.

• Wow
My order of difficulty for the 4 tough preconf games, with our percent chance of winning. Its very scientific, took it straight from my gut...

1. At Kansas (25%)
2. At Xavier (40%)
3. Arizona (50%)
4. UNC (60%)

I won't go into what winning or losing any of these games mean overall...but suffice it to say, I'll be jacked if we go over and beat Xavier at their place, if not a little surprised.

i have seen UNC wilt with a lead vs duke at 8000 seat cameron.
AH will be a factor.
Not this UNC team. Give Hubert credit (and honestly I didn't think it was a good hire), but I think he's been good for their team and program. I hope you're not implying AH is a tougher place to play than Cameron, let alone in the heat of a Duke v UNC rivalry game! G grief, I've had people in AH scream for fans in front to sit down! Been in both several times, no comparison. I've seen IU wilt and never sniff a lead in Cameron twice.

And, I didn't say it wouldn't be a factor, I just said they won't be intimidated by a venue. It will certainly help us, but I don't think they'll have the deer in headlights look I've seen many teams get in Cameron. Factor yes, deciding factor? I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong!

Last edited:
Not this UNC team. Give Hubert credit (and honestly I didn't think it was a good hire), but I think he's been good for their team and program. I hope you're not implying AH is a tougher place to play than Cameron, let alone in the heat of a Duke v UNC rivalry game! G grief, I've had people in AH scream for fans in front to sit down! Been in both several times, no comparison. I've seen IU wilt and never sniff a lead in Cameron twice.

And, I didn't say it wouldn't be a factor, I just said they won't be intimidated by a venue. It will certainly help us, but I don't think they'll have the deer in headlights look I've seen many teams get in Cameron. Factor yes, deciding factor? I don't think so.
We blew them out in Creans last season where they won the Natty. Didn't we finish 12th in the B1G?

They've folded like a lawn chair at the beach the last couple times they came to the Hall

And, I didn't say it wouldn't be a factor, I just said they won't be intimidated by a venue. It will certainly help us, but I don't think they'll have the deer in headlights look I've seen many teams get in Cameron. Factor yes, deciding factor? I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong!
I’m not sure you can credit Cameron for all of their success. Clearly it’s a tough place to play, but one of the reasons why is Duke is always good.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You ever been to Cameron?? Other than the student section that place is a wine and cheese crowd. Absolutely no comparison to AH
Went for the ACC/B10 challenge game back in 2015 when they had Ingram and Grayson Allen fresh off their national title. It was finals weekend and while the student section was full, it wasn't nearly as deafening as they make it out on TV. They kicked our ass but not because of the crowd. Luckily IU recovered and went on to win the B10 later that season.

I think gym itself is more intimating than the actual crowd. It looks and feels like Carmel High Schools gym, probably around the same size too. Guessing it was one of the smaller gyms those IU players played in that year.

UNC is a very experienced team. The Assembly Hall crowd will have minimal effect. I'm not saying 0, but minimal. I'm looking forward to seeing 2 talented and well coached teams go at it. Hopefully the 5 points AH is worth is enough of a difference or more than enough.

UNC is a very experienced team. The Assembly Hall crowd will have minimal effect. I'm not saying 0, but minimal. I'm looking forward to seeing 2 talented and well coached teams go at it. Hopefully the 5 points AH is worth is enough of a difference or more than enough.
I know it's one game, but the hot shooting from the tournament definitely has cooled off. UNC 2-10 from deep last night and really never put away UNC-Wilmington. Back and forth game for the first 15-16 minutes and while UNC maintained a 10-12 point lead most the 2H they never really delivered a death punch to their opponent.

Most will forget that UNC was decidedly mediocre the first 4 months of the season last year until catching fire in the tournament. I think UNC is about as overrated as it gets for a #1 team.

I know it's one game, but the hot shooting from the tournament definitely has cooled off. UNC 2-10 from deep last night and really never put away UNC-Wilmington. Back and forth game for the first 15-16 minutes and while UNC maintained a 10-12 point lead most the 2H they never really delivered a death punch to their opponent.

Most will forget that UNC was decidedly mediocre the first 4 months of the season last year until catching fire in the tournament. I think UNC is about as overrated as it gets for a #1 team.
Not sure I'd call them overrated, because it's 1 game in, they made the NC game and returned most of that team. Honestly though, what I'm hoping for is that I thought the real key to their turnaround was Manek, and that they'll struggle to replace him. I don't think either RJ Davis or Love are deadeyes, but they are very streaky and make them in bunches, but that may also be where losing Manek really hurts as I thought he was the steadiest shooter of the bunch. Not sure Nance is the shooter that Manek was. I feel like XJ should be able to stay with Davis, so that puts a big load on JHS having to guard Love. With Malik, we have some depth if Bacot were to get TJD in foul trouble. Man, I hope we can beat them!

Last edited:
Went for the ACC/B10 challenge game back in 2015 when they had Ingram and Grayson Allen fresh off their national title. It was finals weekend and while the student section was full, it wasn't nearly as deafening as they make it out on TV. They kicked our ass but not because of the crowd. Luckily IU recovered and went on to win the B10 later that season.

I think gym itself is more intimating than the actual crowd. It looks and feels like Carmel High Schools gym, probably around the same size too. Guessing it was one of the smaller gyms those IU players played in that year.
I always said my high school gym, Southport, feels bigger in volume than Cameron. But our gym had big aisles and entryways... everything in Cameron that can be is a seat.

I don't know that it's necessarily how loud of an environment it is, but their chants and noise are disruptive to the other team. I remember they'd buzz every time the other team tried to huddle, and this was in shootarounds, and our guys couldn't hear and kept moving closer to the bench, which only encouraged them. But, between the building, the heat/air, the closeness, I think it's very disruptive to the other team and I've seen us get spanked there twice and probably been another 4-5X and I don't think I've ever seen them lose. Never been to a Duke UNC game there though and would love to see that! UNC beating them there last year in K's final game was the ultimate FU send off!

that's funny... I was actually at the exact same game and that's the game that made me fairly unimpressed with Cameron's mystique

Most will forget that UNC was decidedly mediocre the first 4 months of the season last year until catching fire in the tournament. I think UNC is about as overrated as it gets for a #1 te

actually by pure accident our seats were directly under the ESPN announcers "booth"... Watching Dickie V try to climb up that ladder was amusing.

I would say wrong, Love is as good as it gets, Somewhat shocked he didn't go pro. Recall, they blew the national championship game and they know that they were the better team

We blew them out in Creans last season where they won the Natty. Didn't we finish 12th in the B1G?

They've folded like a lawn chair at the beach the last couple times they came to the Hall
and exactly what relevance are you attaching to the performance of a team that has totally turned over in roster and staff (well, Hubert was on the bench then as an Assistant)? You think this team is sweating the fact that they got beat at AH 10 years ago?

and exactly what relevance are you attaching to the performance of a team that has totally turned over in roster and staff (well, Hubert was on the bench then as an Assistant)? You think this team is sweating the fact that they got beat at AH 10 years ago?
Exists a persistent and pervasive fallacy involving enduring inherent energies associated with athletic programs/venues that has nothing to do with personnel, coaching, or circumstances. Is generally utterly impervious to reason or logic. GLWT.

that's funny... I was actually at the exact same game and that's the game that made me fairly unimpressed with Cameron's mystique
And yet we lost, and we've lost both times I've been there for IU games, when I thought we were noticably rattled. Seeing a pattern?

Reactions: oscarlafayette
You ever been to Cameron?? Other than the student section that place is a wine and cheese crowd. Absolutely no comparison to AH
timeout, you think AH is a tougher place to play than Cameron? I've been to both many times... maybe 6X in Cameron and I don't know how many in AH. If you think that, I beleive you've disqualified yourself from this discussion.

timeout, you think AH is a tougher place to play than Cameron? I've been to both many times... maybe 6X in Cameron and I don't know how many in AH. If you think that, I beleive you've disqualified yourself from this discussion.
I think when AH is rocking, it is absolutely a tougher venue than Cameron. The fact that Duke has been McD’s U for a number of years is far more important than an 8K gym with a great student section but otherwise wine and cheese crowd

I think when AH is rocking, it is absolutely a tougher venue than Cameron. The fact that Duke has been McD’s U for a number of years is far more important than an 8K gym with a great student section but otherwise wine and cheese crowd
OK, it's been 3 years since I was at AH but I can't see it changing that much in that stretch, but the bottom line is in Cameron about 30% of the crowd is students (everyone below the railing and many above are grad students or overflow from the student section), whereas my experience in AH is that about 15% of the crowd is students. So, you have 13,000 wine and cheesers vs 5500. As I've said, I've been told MANY times to sit down in AH.... never happened in Cameron, because I think much more of the non-student crowd supports the cheering and gets involved.

At it's highest moments, I'd say AH is louder and might be more intimidating, but generally at that point the Hoosiers are rolling. I think the steady noise and cheers in Cameron are more likely to push their team right out of the gate and affect the other team. The first IU game I went to there, we played them pretty even for 30 minutes, but we never could erase that 10pt hole we fell into from the start, when we were deer in headlights. And, I've seen that every time I've been to a game there.

15% student IU-2500
30% student Dook-2400
I'm know their joint is loud. New Castle HS can be too. Neither are AH.

15% student IU-2500
30% student Dook-2400
I'm know their joint is loud. New Castle HS can be too. Neither are AH.
Trust me, 2500 students in Cameron are way louder than 2500 in AH. Especially when they pretty much sit on the floor and ring half the court. And it's not just how loud it is: it's the constant cheers and chants, the fact that the students are in their seats 20 minutes before the game starts disrupting things during warmups, the hands reaching out for players as they inbound the ball. Is it not ironic that the 2 guys saying Cameron wasn't that impressive to them were both there on the same night, in what sounds like was there only visit?

Sat in AH too many times to think 1/2 as many people could be as loud anywhere. Volume from the balcony is numbing.
Get back to me when you've gone to Cameron... and not when the students are on break. AH is only loud DURING a game when IU is playing well. Cameron is affecting the other team before the game and from tipoff onward. And, it's not just the noise level, it's the intensity of everything together.

It's like saying hamburgers are the best meal ever, but of course I've never tried anything else!

PS. and what 85stars said is absolutely true: it's the players and not Cameron, but it gives them an advantage and boost in every game. Why do you think K worked so hard to insure that it stayed that way? He knew it was a big advantage.

Get back to me when you've gone to Cameron... and not when the students are on break. AH is only loud DURING a game when IU is playing well. Cameron is affecting the other team before the game and from tipoff onward. And, it's not just the noise level, it's the intensity of everything together.
“Before the game”.
You got that right. I’ve been to a half a dozen games at Duke including IU’s visits in 2015 and 2018. In the 2015 game IU was actually competitive for 1/2 to 2/3 of the first half but in 2018 we lost the game before they even tipped off.

I arrived at the 2015 game right before tipoff but was in Cameron a hour early for the 2018 game. The student section was packed and they were continuously LOUD and relentlessly mocking our guys during pre-game warmups. For the entire hour. I’ll never forget seeing our guys looking up into the stands and appearing to be scared to death. It was palpable and I knew the game was over before it started. Although it was crazy before tipoff it did not last throughout the game because we didn’t put up much of a fight.

That being said the two stadiums are very different and in some ways it’s hard to pick one over the other. There is no arena I prefer more than the Hall (if in the first 15 rows or behind the baskets…LOL) when it is electric. The Hall and Cameron are different but each are 2 of the best 5 or so college arenas in the country which isn’t too shabby.

Last edited:
I was there for this one. Much louder than it sounds in the video. The roof almost blew off.

Since we're doing this, and even though it's not at AH, reallly only makes it that much sweeter it was at Rupp.

Scientific fact: 18,000 people are able to make significantly more noise than 8000.

Awesome clip by the way.
All you guys are talking about is how loud AH is at it's loudest, but read DCDAVIDs post... the crowd at Cameron has often impacted the other team BEFORE the game even starts. It's not just the noise at it's loudest point, it's the constant noise, disrupting the other team in warmups, buzzing in their ears and reaching out when inboundings, etc... If you ever get the chance to go to Cameron, I'd recommend showing up at least 90 minutes early (or however early they'll let you in). Spend 30+ minutes walking around checking out the outer area and displays but be in your seat 45-60 minutes before tipoff and watch the Crazies. It will be full 45 minutes beforehand and they'll be doing their thing the entire time the other team is shooting around and warming up. They'll be loud too when their team is rolling, but they'll also have helped them before the ball is even tipped in most cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCDAVID
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT