ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Booker Jr. All Star Game

NOMORENIT

Freshman
Jan 29, 2020
I watched the Jr. IN All Stars take on the Senior IN All Star team last night at Mt. Vernon. I realize Cathedral's Xavier Booker played well in the last AAU Tournament but he just seemed passive last night. Booker seemed a head taller than anyone else on the court but did not own the paint. The kid is quick, can jump, has a nice shot, and is fluid inside and out but he seemed to disappear last night.

I will say it was an all star game and guards or the first person to receive the pass jack up a majority of the shots. Booker also has another year ahead of him so his future looks bright. I will still be disappointed if Booker picks MSU or another school but at this point I won't lose sleep.

Its hard to judge a kids motor with all all star camps and aau games they play. Could he be tired? Jet lag from the camp in Vegas he just back from where he dominated, got high marks, outplayed other 5star kids? Hard to judge a kid who does all that and answers questions about on going recruitment, how he thinks he did.
I get it that we on this board value the indiana all star games as something special, Steve Alford or George McGinnis never would have taken ANY all star game lightly but they weren't traveling the country the way these kids are today so its hard to judge a kids motor sometimes in these competitions

Its hard to judge a kids motor with all all star camps and aau games they play. Could he be tired? Jet lag from the camp in Vegas he just back from where he dominated, got high marks, outplayed other 5star kids? Hard to judge a kid who does all that and answers questions about on going recruitment, how he thinks he did.
I get it that we on this board value the indiana all star games as something special, Steve Alford or George McGinnis never would have taken ANY all star game lightly but they weren't traveling the country the way these kids are today so its hard to judge a kids motor sometimes in these competitions
Totally agree. He has another season ahead of him in HS. Although what I saw last night is what I saw last year at Cathedral. Just not dominant yet. Again, this kid has all the tools and he is young.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
sounds like the kid from up north who's headed to UNC, no? For those in the know of IN bball, is that a fair comparison? Everyone seemed to feel that kid had great physical ability and tools, but maybe not the best motor?

He only plays hard when he cares. The All Star game and high school regular season is really nothing to care about. When sectionals started last year he turned it on and took his team to state. He dominated the AAU spring session and then just took home the MVP of the Pangos All American camp.

He isn’t coming here, but he is no slouch of a player either.

Reactions: NOMORENIT
Jalen Washington? I've only seen tapes or highlights of him. I can't comment on his game. He's battling injuries so it's tough to get a handle on him. Love to hear someone's opinion of his game and how he might do at the next level. Also, Gunn did not play do to graduation but will play Saturday. Just an all star game but it will be fun to watch him.

Reactions: kkott
He only plays hard when he cares. The All Star game and high school regular season is really nothing to care about. When sectionals started last year he turned it on and took his team to state. He dominated the AAU spring session and then just took home the MVP of the Pangos All American camp.

He isn’t coming here, but he is no slouch of a player either.
Based on what I’ve been reading on another site not so sure we are not still firmly in the hunt. He appear to really like and respect Woody. He said that Woody gave him constructive criticism about not playing and rebounding hard. He said he really likes that. (A wildcard in the recruitment is that we are also very actively in pursuit of Queen at Montverde, who evidently is strongly considering reclassing to 2023.

Jalen Washington? I've only seen tapes or highlights of him. I can't comment on his game. He's battling injuries so it's tough to get a handle on him. Love to hear someone's opinion of his game and how he might do at the next level. Also, Gunn did not play do to graduation but will play Saturday. Just an all star game but it will be fun to watch him.
yes, Washington... couldn't remember his first name. I'm in NC so I hate to see any IN kid come down here and get away from us. The've gotten a fair number of kids out of the Hoosier state: Montross, Fox, and Sean May... 2 or 3 of their NC's? And also Jonathan Holmes. Probably missing more, but those are the ones that jumped to mind. NC St has gotten some IN guys too.

Based on what I’ve been reading on another site not so sure we are not still firmly in the hunt. He appear to really like and respect Woody. He said that Woody gave him constructive criticism about not playing and rebounding hard. He said he really likes that. (A wildcard in the recruitment is that we are also very actively in pursuit of Queen at Montverde, who evidently is strongly considering reclassing to 2023.
If you are talking about the 247 site, there are conflicting reports. Woodson basically ignored him for a good while (didn't even attend the state championship game). IU is trying to get back into it now, but I would be highly shocked if it gets very far. Especially with the Duke, UNC, Kansas, and UK offers rolling in.

In 2023 I think the name to watch for a big is Derik Queen. He is currently in the 2024 class, but many expect him to reclassify. Attends Montverde.

Where as NC has gotten some of good players from IN, those kids are from what, 15-18 yrs ago? Especially with Sean may whose dad showed loyalty to RMK after he got fired.........whereas Woody is going after best talent, wherever they're from, Booker will be his first big time IU kid so let's see if he can keep him close to home

If you are talking about the 247 site, there are conflicting reports. Woodson basically ignored him for a good while (didn't even attend the state championship game). IU is trying to get back into it now, but I would be highly shocked if it gets very far. Especially with the Duke, UNC, Kansas, and UK offers rolling in.

In 2023 I think the name to watch for a big is Derik Queen. He is currently in the 2024 class, but many expect him to reclassify. Attends Montverde.
I remember UNC ignored a Charlotte kid named Jason Parker, until they just couldn't any longer because he rampaged through the state tournament and scorred like 30+ in the Dean Dome at the state championship his senior year. They finally offered and he accepted, but then they couldn't get him admitted and had to turn him away and he wound up at UK... where miraculously they were able to recompute his GPA and get him in!

Anyway, if IU is where it should be recruiting in the State, and with a good NIL package and a good coach that kids want to play for, I'd never discount the primary state university if they have national appeal and if they put on a full court press. Not sure we're there yet, but that's where we should aspire to be!

Where as NC has gotten some of good players from IN, those kids are from what, 15-18 yrs ago? Especially with Sean may whose dad showed loyalty to RMK after he got fired.........whereas Woody is going after best talent, wherever they're from, Booker will be his first big time IU kid so let's see if he can keep him close to home
Jalen Washington is a senior this year I believe headed to UNC.

yes, Washington... couldn't remember his first name. I'm in NC so I hate to see any IN kid come down here and get away from us. The've gotten a fair number of kids out of the Hoosier state: Montross, Fox, and Sean May... 2 or 3 of their NC's? And also Jonathan Holmes. Probably missing more, but those are the ones that jumped to mind. NC St has gotten some IN guys too.
Middle Zeller for another Championship in '09.

Any info on why broilee commit BSmith did not play? Any info on why broilee commit FLoyer is not even on the team? TIA

I will be wearing my IU shirt at Southport friday night. Let's show up and cheer for CJ!

I watched the Jr. IN All Stars take on the Senior IN All Star team last night at Mt. Vernon. I realize Cathedral's Xavier Booker played well in the last AAU Tournament but he just seemed passive last night. Booker seemed a head taller than anyone else on the court but did not own the paint. The kid is quick, can jump, has a nice shot, and is fluid inside and out but he seemed to disappear last night.

I will say it was an all star game and guards or the first person to receive the pass jack up a majority of the shots. Booker also has another year ahead of him so his future looks bright. I will still be disappointed if Booker picks MSU or another school but at this point I won't lose sleep.
I would like to get Booker, but if we had to wait a year to get Flory Bidunga out of Kokomo I would be happy.

Until I see another 5 ☆ 6'10 -7 ft'er go toe to toe with Booker ..My personal opinion.
(Which means nothing) Is up in the air..
Cody was a stud..Then I saw Anthony Davis gaurd him...
Booker is just so much taller and better than any Indiana High School player..
Idk..Maybe 2023 is weak nationally on P.F. & C.

Until I see another 5 ☆ 6'10 -7 ft'er go toe to toe with Booker ..My personal opinion.
He's not a 5 star (but no slouch, either) Wesley Celichowski (6'11" 220), the Center from Floyd Central held Booker to 4 points on 2-11 shooting and 3 rebounds when they played back in early February. You might have to scroll a little bit, but just look for the "Highlights vs Cathedral" video.

Reactions: kkott and ulrey
Zeller got the better of Davis in both match ups. The second game was zeller 20 pts to Davis 9. Davis sat a lot of the first game in foul trouble. Zeller more than held his own. Booker is a stretch 4. Zeller was not.

Reactions: mk30 and B1G_Fan
Any info on why broilee commit BSmith did not play? Any info on why broilee commit FLoyer is not even on the team? TIA

I will be wearing my IU shirt at Southport friday night. Let's show up and cheer for CJ!
Loyer declined to play because he was pouting about not getting Mr. Basketball. Very solid teammate.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey and Willray
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT