ADVERTISEMENT

Wut? Economists Weigh In

No, they didn’t have to be shut down. That’s the entire point, you dummy. Humans can make decisions for themselves. They don’t need a midget doctor or Trump’s dumbass telling them what to do.

Also, to be exact governments can’t shut down everything because people have to eat and live. What happened, was governments chose policies that on average benefited financially fluent people and shifted risk and more suffering to the poor. Poor whites, blacks, and Hispanics still went work while financially fluent Jeffrey Toobin’s jerked off at home on zoom calls.
Depends if you want to kill 4 times as many people. We already make up 1/4th of the deaths in the world.

Thanks Dr. Facebook.
Or I can Google like you can. We’re around 3,500 per million. The highest country in the world is Peru at 6,400. There is zero chance we would be at 14,000 per million. It wasn’t as deadly as they thought and people would have changed their behaviors if it was. Because……wait for it, most people don’t want to die.

Reactions: DANC
Or I can Google like you can. We’re around 3,500 per million. The highest country in the world is Peru at 6,400. There is zero chance we would be at 14,000 per million. It wasn’t as deadly as they thought and people would have changed their behaviors if it was. Because……wait for it, most people don’t want to die.
Per Johns Hopkins, it is 10 times as deadly as the flu...and the US was the worst of any 1st world nation in the world. If you don't think COVID was serious, you're not a serious person.

Makes sense since you've lost 60% on your worthless bitcoin this year.

Per Johns Hopkins, it is 10 times as deadly as the flu...and the US was the worst of any 1st world nation in the world. If you don't think COVID was serious, you're not a serious person.

Makes sense since you've lost 60% on your worthless bitcoin this year.
Your Covid numbers are wrong. If you’re going to insult me at least be able to understand basic math.

And you’re too stupid understand Bitcoin. You’ll catch on in 10 years when some liberal economists tells you it’s ok to like it. Maybe Krugman?

Well, when you lead the world in COVID cases and half of the country won't get vaccinated, that's what happens.
Yea that jab is stopping Covid in its tracks. Three jabs didn’t stop me from getting Covid.

Most of them didn’t die from Covid, they died with Covid. I had a headache the other day and almost got hit by a bus, if the bus had hit me, it wouldn’t have been the headache that killed me.

The whole incentive structure was set up for providers to declare more Covid deaths, the statistical bullshit around “Covid deaths” that was played is criminal and set this country back decades.

And lemmings like you are still repeating this nonsense. Shame
SHAME!
Whatever they died from, they still aren't buying things.

Reactions: DrHoops
Your Covid numbers are wrong. If you’re going to insult me at least be able to understand basic math.

And you’re too stupid understand Bitcoin. You’ll catch on in 10 years when some liberal economists tells you it’s ok to like it. Maybe Krugman?
What numbers are wrong?

Most of them didn’t die from Covid, they died with Covid. I had a headache the other day and almost got hit by a bus, if the bus had hit me, it wouldn’t have been the headache that killed me.

The whole incentive structure was set up for providers to declare more Covid deaths, the statistical bullshit around “Covid deaths” that was played is criminal and set this country back decades.

And lemmings like you are still repeating this nonsense. Shame
SHAME!
All the data points to there being a lot more deaths since COVID hit so until someone can explain the extra deaths pointing to something besides COVID I am gonna assume that COVID caused them.

KIKets7.jpg

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Yea that jab is stopping Covid in its tracks. Three jabs didn’t stop me from getting Covid.
This is the last time you're going to get any data because you can't look at data and gain any knowledge from it. But I will send

And this doctor of infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins answers you question directly. If you can't understand it, it's too late at this point:

The economy tanked because the government shut it down. Sorry, but government sucks sometimes. Covid was a prime example.

Here is a story on restaurants, business tanked in areas not shutdown. Areas not shutdown only did 10% better than those shutdown. Inarch, when we knew NOTHING about the virus people were afraid. With hindight we can say it mostly impacted the elderly, we did not know that in March.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Here is a story on restaurants, business tanked in areas not shutdown. Areas not shutdown only did 10% better than those shutdown. Inarch, when we knew NOTHING about the virus people were afraid. With hindight we can say it mostly impacted the elderly, we did not know that in March.

The article isn’t that good and Austen is a political hack for the left. Putting that aside, I agree people were scared and it was part of the slow down. The health agencies, governments, and MSM we’re very effective with their scare tactics. CNN’s death board was an especially nice touch. It was very fascinating to live through.

Whatever they died from, they still aren't buying things.
I don't keep up on this (probably because I have no interest in blaming one "side" or the other so am not motivated), but are there reliable economic studies showing that the economic downturn was caused by the COVID dead not spending?

I'm skeptical that 550,000 people in the 75 and up crowd moved the needle that much with our economy. Take the restaurant business for example, which was hammered in COVID times: did the people who died of Covid make up a large % of the dining-out crowd?

I don't keep up on this (probably because I have no interest in blaming one "side" or the other so am not motivated), but are there reliable economic studies showing that the economic downturn was caused by the COVID dead not spending?

I'm skeptical that 550,000 people in the 75 and up crowd moved the needle that much with our economy. Take the restaurant business for example, which was hammered in COVID times: did the people who died of Covid make up a large % of the dining-out crowd?
Cafeterias

One thing about Uber drivers, the pay is terrible. But if a couple has children, the flexible hours can save a LOT of money. I can see one parent opting to do that instead of working a normal job just to pay it all out for daycare.

I'm not sure. That's a good question. But I was really responding to the insane turn this thread took:

A: The economy sucks.​
B: Well, a bunch of people died. What do you expect?​
C: They died with Covid, not from Covid!​
D-Z: (Fighting over Covid)​
My eyes rolled so hard I got a headache. If instead, C had said something more along your thinking - "Can you show that a bunch of people dying would have such an effect?" - then that might have led to a better discussion.

I'm not sure. That's a good question. But I was really responding to the insane turn this thread took:

A: The economy sucks.​
B: Well, a bunch of people died. What do you expect?​
C: They died with Covid, not from Covid!​
D-Z: (Fighting over Covid)​
My eyes rolled so hard I got a headache. If instead, C had said something more along your thinking - "Can you show that a bunch of people dying would have such an effect?" - then that might have led to a better discussion.
I tried to move it there. I was unsuccessful. Not a new story, I'm afraid.

I tried to move it there. I was unsuccessful. Not a new story, I'm afraid.
Well, good on ya. For my part, the best I can offer is how I started my previous reply. "I'm not sure. That's a good question."

I mean, I would think it would stand to reason that more dead people would reduce consumption. Certainly people staying home out of fear reduced consumption. Even with the increase in online ordering, overall, the economy still took a noser. I have to imagine death would have a similar effect. But I don't have any research to back that up. Just a gut instinct.

The only intriguing data I would like to see would be CA vs FL excess death rates.

Since apparently one governor was a reckless maniac and the other was just a run of the mill hypocrite.

The point is it was a global pandemic. Things had to be shut down. Why is that so difficult?

There will be interesting studies done on this for years/ decades to come. My guess is the evidence will show that govt imposed "shutdowns" (whatever that may mean).... did little to help and much to hurt, in open, functioning societies, when looked at in entirety.

Not comparable to say China, where they just barricaded you in your apartment like a prisoner.

I doubt we will ever see a public response such as this in the future.

Look at the horridly advocated position of vaccine mandates to keep one's jobs. For a fkn coronavirus.... it defies common sense. Using the stick rather than the carrot. And was completely ineffectual policy.

The negative impact on a generation of young kids, where the developing brain doesn't get to just take two years off and then catch up.

The poor kids that were left further behind at home... while the rich(er) kids will have been in private school or have dedicated parents helping them. ...

and then liberals can bitch and moan about widening achievement gaps in another 5/10/20 years, and demand more money for a public school system that the teachers union wouldn't show up to work for.

Last edited:
There will be interesting studies done on this for years/ decades to come. My guess is the evidence will show that govt imposed "shutdowns" (whatever that may mean).... did little to help and much to hurt, in open, functioning societies, when looked at in entirety.

Not comparable to say China, where they just barricaded you in your apartment like a prisoner.

I doubt we will ever see a public response such as this in the future.

Look at the horridly advocated position of vaccine mandates to keep one's jobs. For a fkn coronavirus.... it defies common sense. Using the stick rather than the carrot. And was completely ineffectual policy.

The negative impact on a generation of young kids, where the developing brain doesn't get to just take two years off and then catch up.

The poor kids that were left further behind at home... while the rich(er) kids will have been in private school or have dedicated parents helping them. ...

and then liberals can bitch and moan about widening achievement gaps in another 5/10/20 years, and demand more money for a public school system that the teachers union wouldn't show up to work for.

But everything is clear in the rear view mirror. It got damned scary for a while. No one knew what the next variant would be or how deadly.

On every metric, the US handled the pandemic horribly vs. other first world countries. When people sow disinformation every day, it's insanity. Look at the charts in this article. We STILL have barely 60-65% of the population vaccinated...the worst of any major industrialized nation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT