ADVERTISEMENT

WTF, Noodle?

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Warning...

Lenny can command heart attacks now? Jesus, dude. I know I've said several times that this show is anything but subtle, but WTF? The naked protesters? The dead kangaroo? Sister Antonia? I'll say it again: This show is anything but subtle.

This is like a giant theatric sledgehammer, pounded repeatedly into the face of the viewer.

Warning...

Lenny can command heart attacks now? Jesus, dude. I know I've said several times that this show is anything but subtle, but WTF? The naked protesters? The dead kangaroo? Sister Antonia? I'll say it again: This show is anything but subtle.

This is like a giant theatric sledgehammer, pounded repeatedly into the face of the viewer.
Haven't watched it yet. But by replying I just saw the spoilers! Boooooo. Not the kangaroo. ;)

I'm watching too, but haven't seen Sunday's yet. But now I'm afraid something happens to the poor kangaroo. On a side note, it's funny, but not surprising, how often HBO manages to slip in nudity in a show about a pope! I love the cinematography and the music in this series. When he was getting dressed to I'm Sexy and I Know it?

I'm watching too, but haven't seen Sunday's yet. But now I'm afraid something happens to the poor kangaroo. On a side note, it's funny, but not surprising, how often HBO manages to slip in nudity in a show about a pope! I love the cinematography and the music in this series. When he was getting dressed to I'm Sexy and I Know it?

You are absolutely right about the I'm Sexy and I Know It scene - that was brilliant. There is another scene from Sunday that included nudity, and it was actually pretty funny.

One bit of trivia that I find funny is that the actor (Sylvio Orlando) who portrays Cardinal Voiello does not, in real life, have that mole on the side of his face. You know, the one you can't stop staring at--the one that the director seems to always highlight by the camera angle. Now, can anyone explain why they added that in the show? I keep waiting for Cardinal Voiello suddenly appear without it, or, perhaps, with it on the other side of his face, a la Igor's hump in Young Frankenstein.

silvio-orlando-attends-the-premiere-for-the-young-pope-during-the-picture-id598986288

As for the kangaroo, maybe Goat can explain its meaning. He seems to understand more than I do about the significance of various scenes.

Oh, while this is from Sunday night, I don't think it's really a spoiler: hilarious scene when Cardinal Voiello gives Spencer a fresh copy of the latest edition of Voiello's book HE, explaining that there is a new preface in this one.

Hey Goat, I don't think Lenny caused a heart attack (although he might think that he did). Rather, I believe that the person responsible for it was with the victim at the time (trying not to give away any spoilers). Did you notice how that person recoiled from helping the victim? Poison, if you want my opinion.

Hey Goat, I don't think Lenny caused a heart attack (although he might think that he did). Rather, I believe that the person responsible for it was with the victim at the time (trying not to give away any spoilers). Did you notice how that person recoiled from helping the victim? Poison, if you want my opinion.
That would fit nicely with the water storyline.

Goat, so is the kangaroo a symbol of something? I'm horrible at getting symbolism in books and film. It has to hit me in the head. Noodle, I did assume the mole was fake. My best guess is that they are making such a huge deal about Lenny's beauty, that everyone around him has to be lesser. They won't even let poor Diane Keaton wear make up!

Goat, so is the kangaroo a symbol of something? I'm horrible at getting symbolism in books and film. It has to hit me in the head. Noodle, I did assume the mole was fake. My best guess is that they are making such a huge deal about Lenny's beauty, that everyone around him has to be lesser. They won't even let poor Diane Keaton wear make up!
It's the uncertainty of control. When he first arrived, he couldn't make the Kangaroo jump. Then, he suddenly could. Then it died. So, either his control is fleeting, or the objects under his control are in danger from forces he can't protect them from.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
It's the uncertainty of control. When he first arrived, he couldn't make the Kangaroo jump. Then, he suddenly could. Then it died. So, either his control is fleeting, or the objects under his control are in danger from forces he can't protect them from.
That's one theory.
I think he was saving the roo for his mom when she finally came to see him.:p

That's one theory.
I think he was saving the roo for his mom when she finally came to see him.:p
Just watched episode 9 (fell asleep before the NW-Wiscy game last night, so I'm up very early), and it was the best one of the show so far. I won't include any spoilers this time, but you'll like it. Finally spell out some things about Lenny they've been hinting at for weeks.

Just watched episode 9 (fell asleep before the NW-Wiscy game last night, so I'm up very early), and it was the best one of the show so far. I won't include any spoilers this time, but you'll like it. Finally spell out some things about Lenny they've been hinting at for weeks.
Saw it and episode ten. To me 9 almost seemed like it was a different show at times. They tried to cram all of Gutierreze's mission into one episode. Yes, it answered some question but it seemed a bit disjointed to me.

Saw it and episode ten. To me 9 almost seemed like it was a different show at times. They tried to cram all of Gutierreze's mission into one episode. Yes, it answered some question but it seemed a bit disjointed to me.
I watched the finale this afternoon.

I think it's pretty obvious that this was originally written to be a ten-episode story arc. It will be interesting to see where they take it in a second season.

I watched the finale this afternoon.

I think it's pretty obvious that this was originally written to be a ten-episode story arc. It will be interesting to see where they take it in a second season.
I agree in part. I think they wrote it to allow for more than one season, while also providing some closure if it was one and done. Or is that what you meant as well?

I agree in part. I think they wrote it to allow for more than one season, while also providing some closure if it was one and done. Or is that what you meant as well?
I'd go further. I think it was written like a mini-series, with no second season originally intended.

But you might be right that they were just hedging their bets, so to speak. Either way, the show could end right now, and it would be fine. It will be interesting to see where it goes, since it's basically in position to start completely fresh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT