ADVERTISEMENT

Our food...

I don't buy anything but Jiff. My wife buys the cheapest available and you know what - they taste like shit. If we have 2 jars of peanut butter - the Jiff I buy and the Peter Pan she buys - she'll use the Jiff all the time and then we're stuck with the other.

I likes my rodent filth.
That makes you a choosy mother

I was a Jiff devotee from childhood to about 7 years ago. The wife brought home Kroger's store brand honey roasted creamy peanut butter to make fudge with and had some left so I gave it a go...it's good, really good.

I was a Jiff devotee from childhood to about 7 years ago. The wife brought home Kroger's store brand honey roasted creamy peanut butter to make fudge with and had some left so I gave it a go...it's good, really good.
Not a big fan of the honey peanut butter, but to each his own.

Shop the perimeter of the store, kill your own food, make your own peanut butter, stay away from wal mart. Can't get rid of all contamination in food but this can help limit it.

If you go to the middle aisles do it with purpose. Can't avoid it completely.

Last edited:

WTF
I personally am not worried because I got the snip snip when I was 39. But I do want America to continue to be a country and we need children to continue the culture.

Shop the perimeter of the store, kill your own food, make your own peanut butter, stay away from wal mart. Can't get rid of all contamination in food but this can help limit it.

If you go to the middle aisles do it with purpose. Can't avoid it completely.
Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of leg to bite on
What a night to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash your light on?

Reactions: zephyr82
Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of leg to bite on
What a night to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash your light on?
Didn't think about that angle. I just assumed he had a sweet '82 Mercury

c5dxHnO.jpeg

I’d always heard the USDA (or whomever) allows a specified tolerance level of rodent hairs in cereal grain products. It’s not one of the enlightening facts they generally teach kids in grade school under the heading “Disgusting Things We’re Better Off Not Knowing” but probably could be. Bird shit might be another one.
There are also 'acceptable' levels of blood and pus allowed in milk. And what's worse, the US dairy industry has fought so that US dairy products can have the highest levels in the world.

When I buy peanut butter, I buy Earth Balance creamy peanut + flaxseed spread. If Kroger doesn't have that in (which happens every so often) I but this Kroger's Simple Truth brand.

Short of making your own at Whole Foods or a health food store, those two are the 'healthiest' peanut butters I've found. Minimal ingredients and all ones you can pronounce.

Reactions: All4You
When I buy peanut butter, I buy Earth Balance creamy peanut + flaxseed spread. If Kroger doesn't have that in (which happens every so often) I but this Kroger's Simple Truth brand.

Short of making your own at Whole Foods or a health food store, those two are the 'healthiest' peanut butters I've found. Minimal ingredients and all ones you can pronounce.

I applaud your efforts, I really do. Eating clean these days, especially with inflation and supply chain issues these past few years, became increasingly more difficult. So I pick and choose. Produce I stick to clean, grow as much as I can and buy and freeze/can what I can't from Local/Amish farms. I source as much of my meat, eggs and dairy from local producers as well, and also buy Kroger's Simple Truth branded meats and dairy when the sales are right. I also figure I can't go wrong with many Kosher/Halal offerings at the chain stores. I bake alot of my own breads and confections so I know exactly what is going into them.

Then again, I'm a redneck at heart with hillbilly leanings so you will also find Velveeta, Spam, Lard and numberless other unhealthy, canned and processed sundries in my freezer and pantry.

I applaud your efforts, I really do. Eating clean these days, especially with inflation and supply chain issues these past few years, became increasingly more difficult. So I pick and choose. Produce I stick to clean, grow as much as I can and buy and freeze/can what I can't from Local/Amish farms. I source as much of my meat, eggs and dairy from local producers as well, and also buy Kroger's Simple Truth branded meats and dairy when the sales are right. I also figure I can't go wrong with many Kosher/Halal offerings at the chain stores. I bake alot of my own breads and confections so I know exactly what is going into them.

Then again, I'm a redneck at heart with hillbilly leanings so you will also find Velveeta, Spam, Lard and numberless other unhealthy, canned and processed sundries in my freezer and pantry.
I do try to cook a lot at home as well. I've gotten pretty good at making a handful of things, but my kids want me to expand my menu items, which I probably will. I actually follow a fair number of instagram accounts that give out fairly healthy recipes and when I'm inspired, I'll try my hand at some.

I don't do meat or dairy, so I don't have to worry about that.

There are also 'acceptable' levels of blood and pus allowed in milk. And what's worse, the US dairy industry has fought so that US dairy products can have the highest levels in the world.
My wife and I watched a show on chicken processing. Some of the chicken carcasses have pustules so this guy pops them with a sharp probe as they move along the line. We didn’t eat chicken for several years after seeing that…my wife still doesn’t, having gone vegan on me. I recently discovered Chick-fil-A on Third St in B-town. It’s hard to pass up sometimes…quick and satisfying.

Jiffy has won some blind taste tests so that is currently my “go to”. I’ve got a bad habit, a nightly ritual, of Ritz crackers and peanut butter between gulps of cold milk. I used to buy Justin’s peanut butter, another taste winner, when it first came out, but will no longer. I saw it was $14 at my local IGA for a standard plastic jar. That’s robbery at the highest greed!

• Wow
Reactions: DANC and All4You

Spam and Velveeta are their own food groups.

I bought some tortilla chips at Whole Paycheck and after I read your post, I looked at the ingredients. Third thing on the list was sugar. Why the f would there need to be sugar added to tortilla chips? It’s mind boggling.
It’s so frustrating. Working out is nothing compared to diet. One long run is the equivalent of three Oreos. Not to mention the health consequences heart disease, diabetes, cancers

Reactions: DrHoops
I bought some tortilla chips at Whole Paycheck and after I read your post, I looked at the ingredients. Third thing on the list was sugar. Why the f would there need to be sugar added to tortilla chips? It’s mind boggling.
Sugar finds you wanting more. Ain’t she sweet! So sweet, you just can’t stop eat’n!

Reactions: DrHoops
When taking a tour of the Coors Brewery plant in Golden, Colorado one of our group called attention to what appeared to be footprints in the hops.

As the tour guide explained this was impossible, a worker entered the bin and walked through the hops.

This didn't discourage me from consuming free beer at the hospitality facility.
They brew most of the foot out of it.

Reactions: hoot1
I only get eggs from free-range chickens. Big difference in yolk color between them and regular eggs.

I did a 6 month project in Paris and every lunch - EVERY lunch - we went out and had a jambon sandwich - basically a plain ham sandwich with butter and lots of bread. It was odd at first, but I really began to like it. Lost 10 pounds.

People in France will buy about a 3 foot long piece of bread and just snack on it all day - walk around with it under their arm. Very odd, but their bread is awesome.
Given the French attitude toward bathing, a loaf carried under the arm all day sounds less than appetizing...

So what?

What they're doing to the agriculture industry in Belgium makes zero sense to me.

Apparently it's not just Belgium but the EU as a whole, and other areas around the world..

Apparently it's not just Belgium but the EU as a whole, and other areas around the world..

Farmers globally don't like government intervention.... unless it's for subsidies.

In some ways, farmers are becoming like welfare recipients (who actually work). They are dependent on the government for income, but they resent any other government control.

It's why land prices are so high and the price of entry into farming creates a situation where only corporations or land-rich families are the only ones who can continue farming.

I'm sure @hookyIU1990 has a better perspective, since he's closer to it.

Reactions: BradStevens
Farmers globally don't like government intervention.... unless it's for subsidies.

In some ways, farmers are becoming like welfare recipients (who actually work). They are dependent on the government for income, but they resent any other government control.

It's why land prices are so high and the price of entry into farming creates a situation where only corporations or land-rich families are the only ones who can continue farming.

I'm sure @hookyIU1990 has a better perspective, since he's closer to it.
I can't speak to what it's like in other places, but the amount of information you have to provide the government about your operations is astounding.

The conversations at family get togethers (5 family members who farm as their main or sole source of income) is that they wish they'd pull the subsidies, let them farm the way the want to and stop meddling in production matters and focus on foreign markets. But it's a vicious circle with the way government is so involved in it. If you don't take the subsidies, you go belly up. Dairy farmers have it the worst IMO. All the guys I helped as a teenager are now gone. Pork production is close to the same situation.

Here's an example of how jacked it is and this is at the state level, so far I've been talking about the fed level. Mary Lou sells skim milk in Florida. 100% pasteurized skim milk is the only ingredient. The state gov says that's imitation skim milk because their definition of skim milk is 3 ingredients. Mary Lou doesn't put 2 vitamin additives in her milk, so it needs to carry an imitation skim milk label. Mary Lou was ordered to stop selling her skim milk as it was misleading her customers. Lawyers were engaged. The gov lost and then lost again on appeal. Mary Lou was able to start selling her skim milk labeled as skim milk after 5 years of idiocy required her to dump it all.

I'm on a Covid bender, so I reserve the right to delete this rant later.

Last edited:
I can't speak to what it's like in other places, but the amount of information you have to provide the government about your operations is astounding.

The conversations at family get togethers (5 family members who farm as their main or sole source of income) is that they wish they'd pull the subsidies, let them farm the way the want to and stop meddling in production matters and focus on foreign markets. But it's a vicious circle with the way government is so involved in it. If you don't take the subsidies, you go belly up. Dairy farmers have it the worst IMO. All the guys I helped as a teenager are now gone. Pork production is close to the same situation.

Here's an example of how jacked it is and this is at the state level, so far I've been talking about the fed level. Mary Lou sells skim milk in Florida. 100% pasteurized skim milk is the only ingredient. The state gov says that's imitation skim milk because their definition of skim milk is 3 ingredients. Mary Lou doesn't put 2 vitamin additives in her milk, so it needs to carry an imitation skim milk label. Mary Lou was ordered to stop selling her skim milk as it was misleading her customers. Lawyers were engaged. The gov lost and then lost again on appeal. Mary Lou was able to start selling her skim milk labeled as skim milk after 5 years of idiocy required her to dump it all.

No reason to delete - you've given a perfect example.

And you're right - a farmer today is almost required to take subsidies or go broke - because everyone else is going to take them. But the farmers who don't want the subsidies are generally those who have land handed down to them through the generations and aren't paying the exorbitant prices for land.

The idea of subsidies was good when the Depression was causing farms to go under (my great grandfather paid the tax bill for many of his neighbors and then, instead of taking their land, let them pay him back so they could keep their farms - other lenders weren't so generous). But once the Depression was over, the subsidies should have ended.... but they didn't and now we're in the situation are are in today.

Not saying it's all because of subsidies, but if you take money from The Man, you do what The Man tells you to do.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Hope you get to feeling better, buddy.

I'm on day 4 myself.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I would guess that a great percentage of the American public has never tasted a tomato that tastes the way it is supposed to taste. In Europe, they sell what's in season. In America, everything is in season all year round.

When I was a kid, there were 2 or 3 places where the vegetables came straight from the field to the little stands where the farmers sold them. We used to grow strawberries in our back yard garden that look nothing like what strawberries look like today. They were small and tasted great. I worked for a guy early in my career who moved here from the UK. He couldn't believe how amazing the strawberries LOOKED, but how awful they tasted.

Anyway...Hank Hill said it best:

Move to the south. Tons of famers markets down here in KY.

I can only imagine how off-putting that must have been. It's great to hear that you've been able to forgive the brand and enjoy their cereal again, though. Speaking of unwanted guests, it's always a good idea to stay on top of pest control. I've heard horror stories about pests infiltrating homes and causing all sorts of trouble. If anyone needs a reliable pest control service, I recently stumbled upon AJ Verminator Pest Control ajverminatorpestcontrol.com. They seem to have great reviews and offer services for everything from wasp removal to rodent control. It's nice to know we're not alone in our encounters with unexpected guests in our food.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT