ADVERTISEMENT

IU is a middling academic school

No, that's wrong. You can get a BA in a physical science or math. I have one.

Liberal arts aren't defined by BA v. BS, they are defined by subject matter:

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

lib·er·al arts
/ˈlib(ə)rəl ˈärts/
noun
  1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    academic subjects such as literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences as distinct from professional and technical subjects.

I'm sure you're correct. Not really the point. I don't think anyone ever argued that a business degree was better than an engineering one.

Reactions: BadWakeboarder
I'm sure you're correct. Not really the point. I don't think anyone ever argued that a business degree was better than an engineering one.
You brought it up, not me, re bs v ba.

You can get a ba in comp science, too. Like the other majors I mentioned, those aren’t engineering degrees and make more, on average, than most business degrees (here I’m assuming most bus degrees are not in finance or bus analytics. If I’m wrong, let me know: I’ve been trained in the liberal arts and will happily recognize my own fallibility 😀).

H ****ing R

Bane of my existence. My boss (a Sr VP) asked me what i look for when hiring. I said, "a brain". I'll try to suss out work ethic via resume/social media review but the interview is going to be a conversation and me determining if you're smart. I don't much care if you're and asshole, jacksass, whatever. If you're not smart, you're not smart.

But HR is where the gatekeeping is occurring.

Btw, I agree with BadwakerangerboarderIN. Even the midsized company I work for, if you don't have a marketing degree you're not working in marketing. If you don't have a degree in accounting or a CPA, you're not working in the higher level (non simple bookeeping roles) in accounting. Also, our marketing and accounting/finance depts have IMPROVED since they started doing this. Don't know if it's correlation or causation, but it's noticeable. this has happened over the last 5 years or so.
The biggest brains are arguably going to be a physics, chemistry, etc. major. I have tried reading Einstein's theory of relativity and gave up: anybody who understands that is overqualified for probably about anything. Of course, these people are going to end up being professors or doctors.

There is an intelligence/genius in understanding humanity, human nature, history, and the universe. Anybody that has read James Madison in the Federalist Papers and can keep up has witnessed and gets this. I was pretty darn impressed with the vast majority of the people I went to law school with, and anybody who would not hire one of these people or a James Madison needs their head checked. Once again, most of these people are going to end up being attorneys and running society.

Somehow, I've been able to start my own law practice, do the marketing and bookkeeping, work the hours I want to work, and acquire as much work as I want without a Kelley degree. I don't need a gatekeeper who is dumber than me and could not accomplish what I've accomplished to let me in the door (big part of the reason I went to law school), and it's a shame some people don't get to walk through some business doors because they don't have an unnecessary business degree.

Last edited:
The biggest brains are arguably going to be a physics, chemistry, etc. major. I have tried reading Einstein's theory of relativity and gave up: anybody who understands that is overqualified for probably about anything. Of course, these people are going to end up being professors or doctors.

There is an intelligence/genius in understanding humanity, human nature, history, and the universe. Anybody that has read James Madison in the Federalist Papers has witnessed and gets this. I was pretty darn impressed with the vast majority of the people I went to law school with, and anybody who would not hire one of these people or a James Madison needs their head checked. Once again, most of these people are going to end up being attorneys and running society.

Somehow, I've been able to start my own law practice, do the marketing and bookkeeping, work the hours I want to work, and acquire as much work as I want without a Kelley degree. I don't need a gatekeeper who is dumber than me and could not accomplish what I've accomplished to let me in the door, and it's a shame some people don't get to walk through some business doors because they don't have an unnecessary business degree.
I think it’s pretty clear that there are tried and true paths to financial success. Trump was at a 50 million dollar fundraiser in palm. Host finance at nyu and mba at Harvard. I think that path to wealth is pretty established.
As an aside I don’t think much of doctors. I’ve deposed hundreds and never had a problem grasping the medical. Socially inept. And again I don’t think it’s that hard. Just grueling.

I took patent law and got the lowest grade in the class. Math engineering physics forget it

Reactions: larsIU

There is an intelligence/genius in understanding humanity, human nature, history, and the universe. Anybody that has read James Madison in the Federalist Papers has witnessed and gets this. I was pretty darn impressed with the vast majority of the people I went to law school with, and anybody who would not hire one of these people or a James Madison needs their head checked. Once again, most of these people are going to end up being attorneys and running society.

Somehow, I've been able to start my own law practice, do the marketing and bookkeeping, work the hours I want to work, and acquire as much work as I want without a Kelley degree. I don't need a gatekeeper who is dumber than me and could not accomplish what I've accomplished to let me in the door, and it's a shame some people don't get to walk through some business doors because they don't have an unnecessary business degree.
LOL. The most successful and wealthiest grad from my high school class never attended college.

I think it’s pretty clear that there are tried and true paths to financial success. Trump was at a 50 million dollar fundraiser in palm. Host finance at nyu and mba at Harvard. I think that path to wealth is pretty established.
As an aside I don’t think much of doctors. I’ve deposed hundreds and never had a problem grasping the medical. Socially inept. And again I don’t think it’s that hard. Just grueling.

I took patent law and got the lowest grade in the class. Math engineering physics forget it
Given your math illiteracy, I doubt your going to business school would have had much effect on your life earnings. You’d have gotten stuck running a rental car place, but got fed up and left and now be an asst manager of a Walmart (night shift), like my high school buddy that graduated Kelley. NTTAWWT.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Given your math illiteracy, I doubt your going to business school would have had much effect on your life earnings. You’d have gotten stuck running a rental car place, but got fed up and left and now be an asst manager of a Walmart (night shift), like my high school buddy that graduated Kelley. NTTAWWT.
I’m not sure. Lots of dipshit friends selling med equipment, drugs, and other shit doing very well with Bach degrees in biz from local nothing schools

I’m not sure. Lots of dipshit friends selling med equipment, drugs, and other shit doing very well with Bach degrees from local nothing schools
Lol. You don’t need a business degree to sell shit. You need a pretty face and the gift of gab.

Have a good friend who was a hot chick from Ball State. Didn’t even graduate. Worked for Cantor Fitzgerald “selling” trading software systems to traders. Did OK. Best perk was the entertainment budget. I’d meet up with her and some clients and eat at the best places in Chicago and drink $500 bottles of wine. Fun times.

You have to get really good grades in math or science and not throw up during a surgery: that's not me. So, I have to at least respect doctors for that. That being said, they do screw up.

Lol. You don’t need a business degree to sell shit. You need a pretty face and the gift of gab.

Have a good friend who was a hot chick from Ball State. Didn’t even graduate. Worked for Cantor Fitzgerald “selling” trading software systems to traders. Did OK. Best perk was the entertainment budget. I’d meet up with her and some clients and eat at the best places in Chicago and drink $500 bottles of wine. Fun times.
But I think you do. I think many of these large companies expect a degree in business “or a related field” not poly sci etc

Reactions: larsIU
But I think you do. I think many of these large companies expect a degree in business “or a related field” not poly sci etc
If you’re hot, you can get a job “selling” stuff. Every medical device/drug sales person I know, didn’t have a business degree and was a smoke show.

I don’t think a big penis plays here, though.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
You brought it up, not me, re bs v ba.

You can get a ba in comp science, too. Like the other majors I mentioned, those aren’t engineering degrees and make more, on average, than most business degrees (here I’m assuming most bus degrees are not in finance or bus analytics. If I’m wrong, let me know: I’ve been trained in the liberal arts and will happily recognize my own fallibility 😀).
My major is in the business analytics category. Masters are in Information Systems and Military Arts and Sciences. History is my favorite subject area. I still wish my daughter had chosen a business degree over communications, but math is by far her weakest area and the required math, finance and statistics classes might have doomed her. Her Masters is Psychological Research and she should officially be done with that next month. Hallelujah.

My major is in the business analytics category. Masters are in Information Systems and Military Arts and Sciences. History is my favorite subject area. I still wish my daughter had chosen a business degree over communications, but math is by far her weakest area and the required math, finance and statistics classes might have doomed her. Her Masters is Psychological Research and she should officially be done with that next month. Hallelujah.
those are good masters inasmuch as they are congruent with your career etc. i did a master's in public admin/policy with an eye toward a ph.d. in urban planning. thank god i stopped at the master's and didn't do the dissertation hell. useless to have. i mean i make short work of the posters on here and was the obvious choice to lead a team here but damn. what is a good deal are these people who do the joint law/mba program. i think it's just another year and you get your mba

those are good masters inasmuch as they are congruent with your career etc. i did a master's in public admin/policy with an eye toward a ph.d. in urban planning. thank god i stopped at the master's and didn't do the dissertation hell. useless to have. i mean i make short work of the posters on here and was the obvious choice to lead a team here but damn. what is a good deal are these people who do the joint law/mba program. i think it's just another year and you get your mba
Had a drinking buddy from lawschool who did that and went to work at Lehman Brothers. . . ended up OK. Stayed with him for my first trip to NYC in August of 2001. Saw the Twin Towers and got to sleep in his 1 BR where the kitchen was so small, you couldn't open the fridge door or the oven door all the way without hitting the wall. Paid over $2k a month for it, I think. In 2001.

Had a drinking buddy from lawschool who did that and went to work at Lehman Brothers. . . ended up OK. Stayed with him for my first trip to NYC in August of 2001. Saw the Twin Towers and got to sleep in his 1 BR where the kitchen was so small, you couldn't open the fridge door or the oven door all the way without hitting the wall. Paid over $2k a month for it, I think. In 2001.
Hopefully he got out before 2008

I have a PhD that works for me that has three master's degrees too. He's my right-hand guy for all things IT. And he possesses the ability to see things from the non-IT perspective as well which is very helpful considering we have tons of users of IT in the organization and he finds the right solutions. I thought about doing the Doctorate thing too, but decided it wasn't worth it this close to my retirement. Plus, we've been busy as hell the last several years.

I have a PhD that works for me that has three master's degrees too. He's my right-hand guy for all things IT. And he possesses the ability to see things from the non-IT perspective as well which is very helpful considering we have tons of users of IT in the organization and he finds the right solutions. I thought about doing the Doctorate thing too, but decided it wasn't worth it this close to my retirement. Plus, we've been busy as hell the last several years.
My master’s thesis seemed like it was never going to end. I couldn’t imagine the dissertation. At the whim of your advisor “have you explored…” oh god

Kelley or O'Neill, Maurer, Jacobs, Med...

Many top rated programs in Btown. Plus the quality of student life is tremendous.
HB Wells set out after WWII to make IU a top flight school in several distinct areas, and he succeeded. No one should expect any school to be at the top of every category.

Reactions: DANC
Maurer isn’t “top rated.” It’s tied for #42, behind several B1G schools and academic powerhouses like Alabama and Arizona State.
in 2010 iu was ranked #23 in us news law school rankings. back in the 90s when others were ranking as well it was ranked with the "top law schools" i.e. top 25. top 30. never true top rated like the 14 or whatever it is. but like the rest of the school it's falling. i chose iu over wash u, notre dame, and cornell. lots of people from michigan, northwestern, and ivy etc. undergrad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
in 2010 iu was ranked #23 in us news law school rankings. back in the 90s when others were ranking as well it was ranked with the "top law schools" i.e. top 25. top 30. never true top rated like the 14 or whatever it is. but like the rest of the school it's falling. i chose iu over wash u, notre dame, and cornell. lots of people from michigan, northwestern etc. undergrad.
You were accepted into ND? Every undergrad I've met from ND has been an arrogant dick, but supposedly their law school is top notch.

You were accepted into ND? Every undergrad I've met from ND has been an arrogant dick, but supposedly their law school is top notch.
yeah i know a bunch of grads from there. i actually visited with my gf who i was living with. had right between D and DD boobs. super sweet. dirty. should have just married her. anyway this nerd was assigned to us to give us a tour and made some comment about separate apartments as we weren't married. we went and looked at iu the next day and you could see the pot smoke hovering over the city and i thought ehh this will be more fun. and it was. our crew from school made it like a continuation of undergrad really. was the best

• Haha
Reactions: BCCHoosier and DANC
yeah i know a bunch of grads from there. i actually visited with my gf who i was living with. had right between D and DD boobs. super sweet. dirty. should have just married her. anyway this nerd was assigned to us to give us a tour and made some comment about separate apartments as we weren't married. we went and looked at iu the next day and you could see the pot smoke hovering over the city and i thought ehh this will be more fun. and it was. our crew from school made it like a continuation of undergrad really. was the best
That's pretty cool you went there with people you already knew.

Something magical about Bloomington..... South Bend can't compete with that.

Did D/DD move with you? She sounds fun.

That's pretty cool you went there with people you already knew.

Something magical about Bloomington..... South Bend can't compete with that.

Did D/DD move with you? She sounds fun.
No I knew grads from nd. I didn’t know anyone at iu. Just a bunch of grads who spoke highly of it. The friend group I met at iu was great. And yes she moved with me to Bloomington. Bloomington was wonderful.

No I knew grads from nd. I didn’t know anyone at iu. Just a bunch of grads who spoke highly of it. The friend group I met at iu was great. And yes she moved with me to Bloomington. Bloomington was wonderful.
Where is she now?

Where is she now?
Married. Two kids. I still play soccer with her brother. Her uncle was honored at one of the US National team games last year and I sent her a message. Received a warm reply. Short. But she’s just an old mom now

But she’s just an old mom now
funny-animated-gifs-best-gifs-jon-voight-anaconda-creepy-face.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT