ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Attend An In-Person Water Cooler Meet Up?

If There Were a Water Cooler In-Person Meet Up, Would You Attend?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
I think it would have to happen spontaneously.

I'm thinking something like two posters from opposite political camps start nagging at each so much, a fist fight is proposed, and they both agree and set the time and date here. That would certainly drive turnout. If someone agrees to bring the booze, I'll set the odds and prop bets and be the bookmaker.

I’ll bring the Rocky Mountain Oysters.
fe04buckhorn-1080x720.jpg

Until Apple releases a patch with an updated version, pray. The PC fix was annoying as heck. I am not sure what the Mac fix is, I haven't seen one. The good news is that this is a real vulnerability but in the month it has been known there have not been any real attacks against it. So the usual caveats, keep antivirus current and avoid sketchy websites.
So, to summarize, if you were running a Linux desktop you would have been patched almost immediately, not to mention the fact that the exploit was theoretical and had never actually been used in the real world.

So, to summarize, if you were running a Linux desktop you would have been patched almost immediately, not to mention the fact that the exploit was theoretical and had never actually been used in the real world.
Yes, but if one uses Linux one is a geek, pencil neck variety. Think owner of a 1960s Ford because they can 100% maintain it themself. If one uses a Mac one is a snob, think BMW or Merc owner. A windows user is a normal working class Joe. He doesn't need a Mac to show off, doesn't care that he can open up the code and inspect it himself. He just wants to use the computer as a basic tool for productivity but really wants it for gaming fun.

Yes, but if one uses Linux one is a geek, pencil neck variety. Think owner of a 1960s Ford because they can 100% maintain it themself. If one uses a Mac one is a snob, think BMW or Merc owner. A windows user is a normal working class Joe. He doesn't need a Mac to show off, doesn't care that he can open up the code and inspect it himself. He just wants to use the computer as a basic tool for productivity but really wants it for gaming fun.

Earth to @Univee2. court closed? is there not a fine for these two? my god

Earth to @Univee2. court closed? is there not a fine for these two? my god
These computer jocks start in on their code-talking and I don’t have the first fvckin’ clue what’s being discussed. They could be plotting the Earth’s destruction while they make their getaway on that huge Mormon ship in The Expanse.

We already know that with AI it’s only a matter of time before we need Linda Hamilton to save our sorry asses.

The Court has been permanently disabled wrt computer issue fines, under penalty of the complete elimination of pepperoni and bourbon. The price is too high; the burden too great . . .

Nothing about the team, literally. My wife's knee replacements will be done and walking from parking without severe pain will be possible for her.
You know you can flag down an IU golf cart in the parking lot, right? I did that after I had my knee surgery.

Be sure to let me know when and where!
yeah the Dream Team isn't participating in a group get together. not sanctioned anyway. Appreciate what ohio threw out there but it's not for us. We're either going to do the auction and a tailgate type bbq in the spring or go out to cray's land and spend a day together. do a hog in the ground. maybe a turkey shoot. details to follow as we get closer to spring

Reactions: DANC
yeah the Dream Team isn't participating in a group get together. not sanctioned anyway. Appreciate what ohio threw out there but it's not for us. We're either going to do the auction and a tailgate type bbq in the spring or go out to cray's land and spend a day together. do a hog in the ground. maybe a turkey shoot. details to follow as we get closer to spring
Is this like the BOD Annual shareholder meeting for a corporation? Will voting on the new direction and posters to go after take place?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
No, I didn't. I haven't seen anyone tip, but I might if I do it again, now that you mention it.
I’d bet they aren’t allowed to take tips, but not sure. I’ve done it a few times with friends recovering.

Reactions: DANC
Don't tease me

Reactions: mcmurtry66
A windows user is a normal working class Joe. He doesn't need a Mac to show off, doesn't care that he can open up the code and inspect it himself. He just wants to use the computer as a basic tool for productivity but really wants it for gaming fun.

The Linux geeks I know keep a Win machine around just for gaming. They do their real work on their Linux boxes. It's like having an old beater truck for hauling trash or the occasional trip to Lowes or Rural King, while driving an Accord as your daily driver.

The Linux geeks I know keep a Win machine around just for gaming. They do their real work on their Linux boxes. It's like having an old beater truck for hauling trash or the occasional trip to Lowes or Rural King, while driving an Accord as your daily driver.

I always wonder what real work is. Some people I work with run analysis on hundreds of GB of data, that is real work. The vast majority run Word, Excel, and a browser. That is child's play for a modern computer, no matter how much Microsoft bloats its products. People seem to want me to tell them they need a new computer. A 6 year old computer, with an SSD, will handle Word, the vast majority of Excel spreadsheets, and browsing just fine.

Gaming though, if one is playing real games and not just candy crush, then one needs to spend on a new computer.

People seem to want me to tell them they need a new computer. A 6 year old computer, with an SSD, will handle Word, the vast majority of Excel spreadsheets, and browsing just fine.

I built my current box in 2011. I've replaced the video card (after the fan quit, went with a passive), added an SSD, and doubled the RAM. I've thought about building a new one, but for the life of me can't justify it. I don't use a fraction of it's resources as it is.

mark@MX-KDE:~
$ inxi
CPU: Quad Core AMD Athlon II X4 630 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 800/800/2800 MHz Kernel: 5.6.0-2-amd64 x86_64 Up: 1m
Mem: 2031.1/7964.4 MiB (25.5%) Storage: 1.37 TiB (16.6% used) Procs: 221 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.06
mark@MX-KDE:~
$

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I always wonder what real work is. Some people I work with run analysis on hundreds of GB of data, that is real work. The vast majority run Word, Excel, and a browser. That is child's play for a modern computer, no matter how much Microsoft bloats its products. People seem to want me to tell them they need a new computer. A 6 year old computer, with an SSD, will handle Word, the vast majority of Excel spreadsheets, and browsing just fine.

Gaming though, if one is playing real games and not just candy crush, then one needs to spend on a new computer.
Excels is getting more than bloated. My new favorite thing is running something in Excel and it freezing up all other open MS apps. Cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT