ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Attend An In-Person Water Cooler Meet Up?

If There Were a Water Cooler In-Person Meet Up, Would You Attend?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
Twenty years ago I met up with a number of people who participated in a Usenet forum I was active in. It was hosted in West Virginia and we had people there from all over the country and even one guy from Ireland. Every single person who showed up was the real deal, exactly who they presented themselves to be. Even simple appearances were in line with expectations.
If a few of these guys are the same in person as they are here, there would be a good chance of fisticuffs at the gathering. 😎

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
DREAM TEAM will probably do a bbq in the spring. Probably outside the Shipshewana Auction
5aeb75a0bd96711b008b4635
Our lake place is 20 minutes from Shipshe. Count me in!! ( family, not mine)

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
If your enterprise software is all in the cloud then there's no real reason not to be running FOSS on the desktop. For all practical purposes it's immune to infection. Of course, it doesn't prevent a numbskull from handing over the jewels if they are convinced they should, but clicking on a bad attachment or link won't get you pwnd.
Thank you. I am paying a software contractor a fortune each year. Going to email him right now to see why we’re not running this.

We do have sensitive info on our local server but 80% of sensitive info with Thomson.

We’ve had clients whose emails were hacked who the hacker grabbed our email and altered it trying to get clients to wire money to pay payroll and other taxes.

Thank you. I am paying a software contractor a fortune each year. Going to email him right now to see why we’re not running this.

We do have sensitive info on our local server but 80% of sensitive info with Thomson.

We’ve had clients whose emails were hacked who the hacker grabbed our email and altered it trying to get clients to wire money to pay payroll and other taxes.
“Yeah, this guy on the internet told me you’re full of shit!”

Report back.

“Yeah, this guy on the internet told me you’re full of shit!”

Report back.
I’ve emailed him. His first answer was diplomatic. He hasn’t responded to my response to him yet. 😂

• Love
Reactions: larsIU

Don't be surprised when he tells you I'm full of shit. They can't charge you a fortune for security if you're running a system that is secure out of the box.

If your "server" is a simple NAS (network attached storage) that is only accessible through your own clients, and those clients are running FOSS software that is secure in its own right, then the server is secure. The only way it can be accessed is through the clients, and if the clients can't be pwnd then neither can the server.

Your IT guy won't be receptive. Odds are he won't have any idea what I'm talking about, and even if he did he probably wouldn't have any idea how to implement it. It's a completely different way of operating, for both him and for you. To begin with, all your desktops would no longer be running Windows or Office.

Reactions: DANC
If your "server" is a simple NAS (network attached storage) that is only accessible through your own clients, and those clients are running FOSS software that is secure in its own right, then the server is secure. The only way it can be accessed is through the clients, and if the clients can't be pwnd then neither can the server.

Your IT guy won't be receptive. Odds are he won't have any idea what I'm talking about, and even if he did he probably wouldn't have any idea how to implement it. It's a completely different way of operating, for both him and for you. To begin with, all your desktops would no longer be running Windows or Office.
He has no idea what you’re talking about! Kinda pisses me off.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
He has no idea what you’re talking about! Kinda pisses me off.
Tell him FOSS = Linux. He will immediately dismiss it as a hare brained idea. They all do.

Meanwhile, I can go anywhere and do anything on the Internet I want to with no anti-anything software and zero concerns about being pwnd no matter how reckless I get. Been running it since 2006.

Reactions: stollcpa
Tell him FOSS = Linux. He will immediately dismiss it as a hare brained idea. They all do.

Meanwhile, I can go anywhere and do anything on the Internet I want to with no anti-anything software and zero concerns about being pwnd no matter how reckless I get. Been running it since 2006.
Open source isn't perfect or I wouldn't have had to deal with a cURL crisis last month.

Reactions: DANC

What kind of weird shit you getting into? Ah nevermind....

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
So my take away from all this is half of everyone here has no interest in actually meeting anyone who posts on this board. Of the other half that do want to meet, some of you would like to hang out with an alias because there is a better than decent chance a fight could break out or some suspicious packages would show up at your house after the meet up.

All this as @UncleMark is canoodling with @zeke4ahs in the corner while spouting computer networking security knowledge.

Sounds about right.

I'm in, if only for the people watching.

I'd drink a beer ir grab a coffee with anyone on here. I'm guessing I would likely be able to get along with everyone who wanted to be gotten along with.
This is kind of where I'm at.

Like I said before, I'm not going to plan some elaborate get together, but I'd be up for letting people know I'll be at an IU game sometime and informally getting together with who ever wants to show up before/after.

So my take away from all this is half of everyone here has no interest in actually meeting anyone who posts on this board. Of the other half that do want to meet, some of you would like to hang out with an alias because there is a better than decent chance a fight could break out or some suspicious packages would show up at your house after the meet up.

All this as @UncleMark is canoodling with @zeke4ahs in the corner while spouting computer networking security knowledge.

Sounds about right.
I think it would have to happen spontaneously.

I'm thinking something like two posters from opposite political camps start nagging at each so much, a fist fight is proposed, and they both agree and set the time and date here. That would certainly drive turnout. If someone agrees to bring the booze, I'll set the odds and prop bets and be the bookmaker.

Uh oh, what do i need to do?
Until Apple releases a patch with an updated version, pray. The PC fix was annoying as heck. I am not sure what the Mac fix is, I haven't seen one. The good news is that this is a real vulnerability but in the month it has been known there have not been any real attacks against it. So the usual caveats, keep antivirus current and avoid sketchy websites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT