ADVERTISEMENT

Would love some input on Hoosiers' defenders (last year)

Oct 31, 2023
I have a collegiate basketball game that I have dabbled in over the years and I am currently in the rewrite process. Part of that process is updating the card set for the most recently played Big Ten season. Most of the cards are based on objective statistical output, but there is one set of ratings that I need some help with, and that is defensive value. I know there are a number of defensive metrics out there, but all include elements such as steals and blocked shots and those are already accounted for in the game. What I am looking for is how effective a player is at locking down and forcing opponents to take contested shots. I think there is some value in crowd-sourcing this to allow for a variety of perspectives.

Would anyone like to give a crack at ranking these players from last year from best to worst in terms of their on-ball defensive value (WITHOUT taking into account blocks, steals, or rebounding.)?

Jackson-Davis
Hood-Schifino
Kopp
Thompson
Reneau
Bates
Galloway
Geronimo
Johnson
Banks
Gunn

(Note, they are just in order of minutes played at the moment.) Thanks so much for your input for those who choose to rank them.

Jackson-Davis
Johnson
Galloway
Hood-Schifino
Thompson
Kopp

???

Bates
Banks
Gunn
Reneau
Geronimo
I don't think we were stellar even before XJ went down, and obviously that hurt us, but I really thought a huge difference last year was that to me Race wasn't as good or invested a defender as he had been in prior years. Not sure if he was just getting tired or was injured but he didn't seem as willing and physical a defender as he had been.

If I were ranking our defenders going in to the season, it probably would have been: TJD, XJ, and Race/Trey and then a gap before anyone else.

I might slot Kopp above Thompson and drop Bates a few positions, but have zero problem with yours.
Bates actually bought in to defense fairly well as the year wore on.

I think with the specific things the OP was asking for, TMP's list is pretty good. Race was always pretty good when he was heads up on someone, and his versatility to be able to guard multiple types of players, helped too. His problems were that he got lost a lot, and wasn't great rotating when we got into switching and scrambling.

Kopp was good in those rotational, positional areas. But wasn't very good guarding decent wings one on one.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT