ADVERTISEMENT

Would losses by Mich St. and O$U today help our chances (provided we make it to BIG final)?

I'm not trying anything. I'm stating facts, period.

The NET isn't meant to be an IU fanboy criteria. All systems have flaws, thats obvious, but its what we have.

There is NO metric system that favors IU this year. NET, Kenpom, BPI, Torvik, etc etc all rate IU terribly. Why? I just detailed why. You don't like it? Thats fine, but its reality.

When the questions you are asking are "what can we do to make a system rate this IU team better" instead of "what does/did this IU need to do to be rated better" you're asking the wrong questions.
The ESPN strength of record index doesn't reflect margins of victory. IU is 51, ahead of OSU and MD, and 5 spots begins MSU. Imo, it fits the eye-test at this point in the season. Here's a link:

after what I saw from the refs last night, I wouldn't count on that happening.

btw, I didn't realize former B1G ref Bo Boroski had retired. Anyone who wants to kill 10 minutes, go check out his Twit/X feed....guy is an absolute freaken tool, and obviously NOT a fan of IU. As time goes by, Ted Valentine suddenly doesn't seem so bad. Can't believe I just wrote that.
Yep, refs beliefs about players greatly impact how they get called. Edey and Baldwin don't foul and Xavier and Malik do.

Beat Nebraska and Illinois both by 30 and our NET will jump at least 25 spots if not more. And KenPom will move up significantly as well. Cincinnati beat a depleted Kansas team by 22 the other night and jumped 10 spots in the NET overnight.
I think we've only beaten one team by more than 15 all yr and that was one of the December cupcakes. We'll be lucky to beat either by 3. But 30? pass that one hitter over here when you're done

Yep, refs beliefs about players greatly impact how they get called. Edey and Baldwin don't foul and Xavier and Malik do.
Baldwin got called for what, 2? 3 fouls. last night...and probably committed at least 8.

Edey....he's an outlier freak. The refs don't know how to call him. Glad he's moving on.

I think we've only beaten one team by more than 15 all yr and that was one of the December cupcakes. We'll be lucky to beat either by 3. But 30? pass that one hitter over here when you're done
To have any semblance of an at large chance, we're gonna have to figure out how to beat both Nebraska and Illinois comfortably. Doesn't have to be 30, but a couple of double digit wins is probably the only thing that gets us in to any serious discussions in the room.

JFC I never said IU was going to beat either team, let alone by 30 points. I was responding to a poster who claimed beating both Nebraska and Illinois by 30 points doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Read much?

******IF**** that were to happen it does change things, drastically, as IU's NET ranking would soar. IU's poor NET ranking is a major reason why IU isn't being considered despite having similar if not a better resume than teams like Michigan State and Ohio State.

Baldwin got called for what, 2? 3 fouls. last night...and probably committed at least 8.

Edey....he's an outlier freak. The refs don't know how to call him. Glad he's moving on.
Edey really shouldn't be that hard to ref: the biggest, strongest and most physical player on the floor in every game, with the other team piling up multiple players with 4 & 5 fouls, and again today: 1 PF! It defies all logic. If I were Painter, I'd be imploring him to be more physical to where he was getting at least 3 PF a game. If nothing else, hack a couple layup/shot attempts and make them earn it from the line. But, I think MP is quite happy with where he now has the refs calling ZE's game. 27 FT attempts for PU to 12 for MSU in a 5 pt game.

• Sad
Reactions: BigMobe
JFC I never said IU was going to beat either team, let alone by 30 points. I was responding to a poster who claimed beating both Nebraska and Illinois by 30 points doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Read much?

******IF**** that were to happen it does change things, drastically, as IU's NET ranking would soar. IU's poor NET ranking is a major reason why IU isn't being considered despite having similar if not a better resume than teams like Michigan State and Ohio State.
I'm not sure if I posted that it wouldn't mean much...it probably would...I meant that even if they did win both games by 30, it still wouldn't be enough. And this late in the season, I'm not as sure it would soar. We've won 5 games in a row, 2 of them on the road, 2 of them Quad 1 home games, and a neutral site game...and we've moved up what, 10 spots? It might open some eyes in the committee room, but we're not jumping 20 spots no matter how we win these next 2 games.

Mississippi State might have already been in the field...but they just punched their ticket today by beating Tennessee. That's another team we have no chance of leap frogging for an at large. Seems like every few hours, there are wins that are making the possibility less and less realistic.

I'm not sure if I posted that it wouldn't mean much...it probably would...I meant that even if they did win both games by 30, it still wouldn't be enough. And this late in the season, I'm not as sure it would soar. We've won 5 games in a row, 2 of them on the road, 2 of them Quad 1 home games, and a neutral site game...and we've moved up what, 10 spots? It might open some eyes in the committee room, but we're not jumping 20 spots no matter how we win these next 2 games.
We've beaten two tournament teams at home by the slimmest of margins and beat 3 non-tournament teams, only 1 comfortably.

Cincinnati just jumped 10 spots overnight beating a depleted Kansas team by 22. Efficiency is obviously heavily weighted in the years version of the NET. Thumping two Q1 opponents on a neutral floor will almost assuredly boost the efficiency metrics. I know it was back in December, but IU fell almost 30 spots in the NET after losing to Auburn by 28 on a neutral floor.

Reactions: CriticArisen

chill dude, no reason to bring Jesus into this. This season has sucked, I really don't care that much either way.
Have a great weekend.

Hope you're right. Hope it ends up a moot point with a BTT championship.

But I just don't seen it. Too much "bad bubble activity", and too deep a NET hole to climb out of.
You’re probably right and it may not matter anyway if we lose tonight. I would put our odds at making the tournament somewhere between ain’t happening and zero chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT