ADVERTISEMENT

Worth noting

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
One positive of this board is that it includes real never Trumpers, and it's worth noting just how unlike most Republicans they are:

In 2016, Erick Erickson could not have been clearer. Donald Trump was “a racist” and “a fascist.” It was no wonder, Mr. Erickson wrote, that “so many people with swastikas in their Twitter profile pics” supported him. “I will not vote for Donald Trump. Ever,” he insisted, adding his voice to the chorus of Never Trump Republicans.

This past week, Mr. Erickson, a well-known conservative blogger, titled one of his pieces “I Support the President.” In three years, he had come completely around, a transformation that is a testament to President Trump’s remarkable consolidation of support inside the Republican Party. The effort to impeach the president, Mr. Erickson wrote, was a desperate move by people “who have never come to terms with him.”

“Never Trump” no more, conservatives have largely resigned themselves to a more accommodating state of mind: “Never mind Trump.” And their change in attitude helps to mute the much smaller group of conservative voices who remain highly critical of the president and have questioned his conduct.

Glenn Beck, the radio host who once called Mr. Trump “an immoral man who is absent decency or dignity,” now says that his defeat in 2020 would mark “the end of the country as we know it.” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who so bitterly feuded with the president during the 2016 primaries that Mr. Trump gave out Mr. Graham’s cellphone number on national television, declared last week that impeachment was nothing but “a political setup.”

It can be difficult to remember that indignation and contempt for Mr. Trump once simmered in every corner of the conservative world. In August 2016, dozens of the most senior Republican national security officials signed a letter warning he would “put at risk our country’s national security and well-being.”

Female leaders of the anti-abortion movement joined together before the Iowa caucuses in 2016 and issued a joint statement declaring themselves “disgusted” at his behavior, saying he had “impugned the dignity of women.” National Review published an “Against Trump” issue that featured essays from 22 prominent conservatives who all made a case for why he should not be the Republican nominee.

At least half of those writers are now on the record making supportive comments about the president. Some, including Mr. Erickson and Mr. Beck, now fiercely defend Mr. Trump, joining many former foes who are speaking out loudly against the impeachment inquiry. Others who contributed to the issue, like Ed Meese, the attorney general under Ronald Reagan, have helped Mr. Trump plan his transition and build his administration.

. . . “Had I known this was going to be perceived as the bible of the anti-Trump movement, I never would have written it,” said L. Brent Bozell III, who in his National Review essay wrote, “Trump might be the greatest charlatan of them all.” He now counts himself as a Trump convert.

. . . Few changes of heart have been as head-spinning as the social conservatives and evangelical Christians who now consider Mr. Trump a hero. Many of the conservative women who once saw him as a boor have come to believe that for too long they were focused on the wrong qualities in presidential candidates. They wanted someone pious when they should have been looking for someone who could throw punches.

“I endorsed Rick Santorum in 2012. And Mike Huckabee,” said Penny Young Nance, who signed the statement in 2016 of anti-abortion activists opposing Mr. Trump. “But at the end of the day, I’m not sure those guys I love and admire would have had the guts to do what Trump has done,” she added.

. . . For the few remaining holdouts, the willingness of so many conservatives to support Mr. Trump’s behavior is troubling. “I’ve heard from countless people who argue and believe that this is an existential moral moment and if a Democrat wins, darkness will descend on the land,” Peter Wehner, a speechwriter in the second Bush White House, said. “If that’s your mind-set, then of course you’ll engage in a lot of unholy alliances to defeat Satan.”

“I’m trying to determine what’s the limiting principle for a person when it comes to casting a vote for Donald Trump,” Mr. Wehner added. “And I’m not sure there is one.”
Donald Trump is a corrupt unfit disloyal racist imbecile who's making a strong case for worst President in history. But he enjoys the support of almost 90 percent of Republicans, and every day Republicans make false and outrageous claims defending the indefensible. Not every Republican has become Borg though, and this is worth noting. Consider this a shout out to the board's never Trumpers.

Not every Republican has become Borg though, and this is worth noting. Consider this a shout out to the board's never Trumpers.
HuffPo had a short article the other day about the Republicans standing up to Trump. LOL. There were five people: Romney, Sasse, two governors, and some no-name I don't recall. Whoopie! Look at all that courage!!!

And what had they done that was so courageous? They'd said that they were okay with the impeachment inquiry going forward.

If Profiles in Courage were written today, it would be blank on the inside.

Not every Republican has become Borg though, and this is worth noting. Consider this a shout out to the board's never Trumpers.
HuffPo had a short article the other day about the Republicans standing up to Trump. LOL. There were five people: Romney, Sasse, two governors, and some no-name I don't recall. Whoopie! Look at all that courage!!!

And what had they done that was so courageous? They'd said that they were okay with the impeachment inquiry going forward.

If Profiles in Courage were written today, it would be blank on the inside.
Mitch just released a campaign ad on FB that says as long as he is in the Senate the impeachment will fail. He closes with, now send me money to stop Pelosi and the democrats.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3881997002

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT