ADVERTISEMENT

Worst home loss to Purdue?

You do realize that we won two national championships before RMK was ever here. He built the program to higher standards but he did not make Indiana basketball.

Yes in the days when it was an 8 team and a 16 team tourney. And often the better teams played in the NIT

Yes in the days when it was an 8 team and a 16 team tourney. And often the better teams played in the NIT
Oh my... here we go, PU fan going for the old NIT play. You are better than that. Next you will say the Helms trophy is a real ship.

I do not deny IU’s history. I am of the belief that Bobby Knight made IU and not the other way around and the lore left when Brand fired him.

Just as MSU had championships under Heathcote, it was Izzo who made MSU elite. Think those days could be disappearing very soon for the Spartans.
You have to keep bringing in good coaches. This is why UNC, UK, and Kansas don't have any lulls and UCLA and IU have. Bob Knight, obviously, had one of the greatest college coaching careers and is hard to replace. But, it isn't like it is impossible to bring in another good coach.

I think Bob Knight would have had success wherever he went, but IU, the state of Indiana, Indiana high school basketball, and the fans helped make Bob Knight as much as he made IU.

You have to keep bringing in good coaches. This is why UNC, UK, and Kansas don't have any lulls and UCLA and IU have. Bob Knight, obviously, had one of the greatest college coaching careers and is hard to replace. But, it isn't like it is impossible to bring in another good coach.

I think Bob Knight would have had success wherever he went, but IU, the state of Indiana, Indiana high school basketball, and the fans helped make Bob Knight as much as he made IU.
Good coaches can win anywhere.

Bennett has Virginia the best current program in college basketball.

Ollie has driven UCONN to irrelevance the minute Calhoun’s kids graduated.

Reactions: Hoogolf

So you think RMK would have won 3 championships if he had went to UW where he was ready to sign to become their coach. He was one of the greats but at IU he had a great recruiting base with Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. At UW it would have probably been harder to recruit that area than it was at U.

Army and Texas Tech beg to differ. Granted, Knight was over the hill at Texas Tech. Army is a limited program, but Knight probably won as much as he could there. It doesn't hurt to coach at the big basketball college in the state known for basketball.

Roy has won more at UNC than Kansas. Bill Self won more at Kansas than Illinois. Calipari won more at UK than UMass or Memphis. Certain programs allow a coach to win more than others, which is the reason they move to them. Not to say a Coach K can't create a Duke, though.

Last edited:
So you think RMK would have won 3 championships if he had went to UW where he was ready to sign to become their coach. He was one of the greats but at IU he had a great recruiting base with Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. At UW it would have probably been harder to recruit that area than it was at U.
I had never heard that. Guess it make sense though, the area would have been good for his hobbies.

Yes I do believe he could have won as many NCAA tourney championships at UW. Remember they have history of winning a basketball title. So based on past posts from ya’ll that means they are blue bloods.

So is it wind or % - you keep moving the target

If you look at the list of wins you see the percentages. I merely pointed up that having more wins than some teams doesn’t mean greater success. Perhaps that is too complex?

For those IU fans who want to ridicule Matt Painter. Let's examine the coaching history of IU over the last 10-15 years.

Tom Cream - No explanation needed
Kelvin Sampson - Most cell phone minutes logged by any IU coach
Mike Davis - LMAO
Dan Dakich - Interim head coach and self-proclaimed basketball god

I'll leave on that note...

The absolute hilarity of your post is that you described Mike Davis as “LMAO” and he absolutely owned Purdue like a little b$&&ch! As bad as he was, Purdue was dominated by the guy.

Now....that’s really LMAO!!!!!

This thread is a joke !! Oh btw I’m assuming you didn’t see Doyle’s piece today? Enjoy the game Sunday , if some of you could only be reasonable[/QUOTE]

I guess they pass out national championship trophies now based on writers looking for clicks in January. Considering Painter's inability to make it past the Sweet 16 and Purdue's record in the NCAA's, any hype is funny.

You're on borrowed time, little brother: enjoy it while it lasts.[/QUOTE]
But you guys are Blue Bloods and made it past the Sweet 16, what, 16 years ago? Damn, us non Blue Bloods shouldn't even go to or watch games.

Last edited:
PU had the same team last year with Swanigan: they were better last season. They most certainly will be favored. IU did hang with Duke at home for most of the game (granted, with Davis), and Duke has much more talent than PU. A close or relatively close game wouldn't surprise me.

PU this year kind of reminds me of IU during Yogi's senior year, minus the elite talent and athleticism but plus the defense. They are a really good shooting team, and Haas rather than Yogi opens up things for the shooters.

Michigan has provided a template on how to beat PU: stay on the shooters, play Haas straight up, and make Haas beat you. When PU comes across a team with more athleticism and/or talent and a competent big (which will happen in the NCAA's), they can lose. They will have bad shooting nights here and there, and it only takes one.
Wow you obviously haven't watched this PU team much... Michigan hung with us because they have a 5 that can cause us problems on D (shoots over 40% from 3 and takes it to the rack off the dribble well), that and they have a lot of very good 3 point shooters. That's the best recipe yet it still wasn't enough. If a team doesn't have all of that, then it will be very hard to play with this Purdue team.

Last years Purdue team was better than this years? Seriously man... do you really know the sport of basketball at all?

Reactions: Poprudy
I’m not sure this one of Painter’s better teams defensively. Not saying it’s bad, just not as good as prior teams. You def shoot the ball better than most good PU teams. PU struggle with guards like UM and the dance will be full of teams as good if not better than UM. Good luck, hope this is your year.
We struggled with the guards because they had a 5 that can hit from deep. If you'd actually watched any of our games, teams that don't have a Wagner type 5 man, we typically crushed and held to around 60 points per game or less.

Remember Painter's first year, didn't he go 7-17 or something? I will save everybody from making a mindless crack about his first year and pointing out the contradiction of doing so.

It's only a matter of time before Archie blows Painter's doors off: if he lands Romeo, it will happen precisely at that moment.
No the 7 win season was Keady's last year. Painter was 9-19 his first year and then had 22 wins the very next year.

They don’t stink, but they are not on our level. Owning a head to head serious is the dumbest comparison ever. We all know PU treats this game like a title game. IU does not have piggy back rides after we win (pu does), past IU player don’t do videos talking about how important it is to beat PU (Painter does this) and we did not have a player on JMV say as long as you beat IU the coaches are happy. (That player was Haas) Dan had D Bailey on his show last year and he asked how important the PU game was. He said, it was way more important to PU, it was just another BIG game to us. Lol
That's just an IU narrative. They always try to make it sound unimportant, but they always get up for the game. Funny how that works.

Reactions: richar2013
Wow you obviously haven't watched this PU team much... Michigan hung with us because they have a 5 that can cause us problems on D (shoots over 40% from 3 and takes it to the rack off the dribble well), that and they have a lot of very good 3 point shooters. That's the best recipe yet it still wasn't enough. If a team doesn't have all of that, then it will be very hard to play with this Purdue team.

Last years Purdue team was better than this years? Seriously man... do you really know the sport of basketball at all?

You are correct, but I do want to clarify that Haas shut Wagner and Tesky down defensively and Wagner and Tesky got the majority of their points when Haas was sitting, However, Michigan did rebound offensively plus scored inside when Haas went to the perimeter to guard defensively.

It will be interesting to see how well Morgan does today and whether he can draw Haas away from being the rim protector that he is.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Will Carsen return? The others you listed are role players who will take on a huge load and I seriously doubt they are ready. You lose 3 critical shooters and passers in PJ, DM & VE. It be a rebuild for Matt.
We heard similar type arguments last year. You guys lose biggie, the other players are just roll players, you won't be nearly as good. Blah blah blah. How did those projections turn out? Next year will definitely be a drop off, but I doubt it will be as bad as you all want to believe it will be.

Last edited:
That's just an IU narrative. They always try to make it sound unimportant, but they always get up for the game. Funny how that works.

Or perhaps you want to make it sound more important than it is beacause that suits your narrative. Funny how that works.

We struggled with the guards because they had a 5 that can hit from deep. If you'd actually watched any of our games, teams that don't have a Wagner type 5 man, we typically crushed and held to around 60 points per game or less.
Watched all your games, point still remains.

For those IU fans who want to ridicule Matt Painter. Let's examine the coaching history of IU over the last 10-15 years.

Tom Cream - No explanation needed
Kelvin Sampson - Most cell phone minutes logged by any IU coach
Mike Davis - LMAO
Dan Dakich - Interim head coach and self-proclaimed basketball god

I'll leave on that note...

There is not a Purdue fan in the world that should be laughing at Mike Davis.......

WOW! I had a post deleted by an admin and threatened to be banned. I try to not be rude and don't even know what post was deleted...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT