ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
So I have heard a few pundits say woodson is trying to run an nba offense but we dont have the horses to make it work. Say you need superior talent and athletes for it to work. I dont watch the nba at all so I am not sure but it seems nba guys like penny or Hoiberg arent doing so well in college. So is this accurate or all bs.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
So I have heard a few pundits say woodson is trying to run an nba offense but we dont have the horses to make it work. Say you need superior talent and athletes for it to work. I dont watch the nba at all so I am not sure but it seems nba guys like penny or Hoiberg arent doing so well in college. So is this accurate or all bs.
Still on your period? You do more whining and crying than my ex wife

No idea but the track record of NBA guys coming to college is beyond abysmal...Penny, Mulling, Ewing, Avery Johnson, Danny Manning, Hoiberg, Ollie, Stackhouse etc.

I thought after maybe Beilein that Woody was easily the worst possible hire. But let it play out. We won't know what we have until the end of next season.

should we all ignore the emotional posters who are all rah rah?
You decide who you wanna listen to. The guys played hard and lost. They missed shots, msu did not and played just as hard. How it goes. I am proud of the effort. If we wanna talk about effort last night, x tamar and Parker all gave it their all.

listening to people saying “Parker really took the suspension to heart” because he missed threes is 3rd grade shit. You decide if you wanna listen to morons.

Calipari coached the NETS … seems to be doing OK.

Pick and roll is fundamental basketball … older than dirt … and CMW.
It requires finesse, and basketball IQ … Don’t try to over power the screened defender,
but take off as soon as he makes contact, and catch the defender thinking about how to react.
(I like it when Trey feigns going to the screen, and cuts the other way … he’s done well with that)

5-out may be considered as a more recent reinvention of the 4 corners … almost as old as dirt.
Take the defender out of the post so he can’t help on anyone cutting to the basket,
or flashing to the post (beating his defender to his favorite spot).

Offensive execution is suffering … it’s not that the talent isn’t ’NBA talent’ …
Offensive execution wasn’t really better last year.
Trayce isn’t playing the 5-out concept on many possessions.

You decide who you wanna listen to. The guys played hard and lost. They missed shots, msu did not and played just as hard. How it goes. I am proud of the effort. If we wanna talk about effort last night, x tamar and Parker all gave it their all.

listening to people saying “Parker really took the suspension to heart” because he missed threes is 3rd grade shit. You decide if you wanna listen to morons.
I always decide who I want to listen to. I was just making the point that a poster can be emotional whether they are negative all of the time (whine), or are positive all of the time (rah, rah cheerleader). The same is true for posting “dumb” stuff, or “smart” stuff.

Whatever happened to the "give coach a year or 2 to get HIS guys into the program"? Its obvious he needs shooters and based on how the kids did elsewhere, we all bought in that what we were getting via the portal. So it hasn't worked out, tfb. They are playing harder, the defense is better and we have seen improvement from kids vs last year and earlier this year

The type of offense we are running can and does work. I have watched
Baylor, Alabama, and Kentucky this year and we are running similar stuff to what they run. We do not have the perimeter players to make it work currently if TJD isn’t playing at an AA level. When he does it works for us because we get double teams and gets the ball moving. When he doesn’t it just looks like we are standing around.

Anyone wanting to run a 1980s style motion offense is going to be sorely disappointed because it can’t be effectively ran in 30 seconds. Alford would run off one pick, not be open and they would have to do exactly what we do, which is default to a pick and roll two man game.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Baylor, Alabama, and Kentucky this year and we are running similar stuff to what they run. We do not have the perimeter players to make it work currently if TJD isn’t playing at an AA level. When he does it works for us because we get double teams and gets the ball moving. When he doesn’t it just looks like we are standing around.

Anyone wanting to run a 1980s style motion offense is going to be sorely disappointed because it can’t be effectively ran in 30 seconds. Alford would run off one pick, not be open and they would have to do exactly what we do, which is default to a pick and roll two man game.
No. Knight specifically despised ball screens because he never wanted to bring another defender to the ball.

Reactions: 13thman

It requires finesse, and basketball IQ … Don’t try to over power the screened defender,
but take off as soon as he makes contact, and catch the defender thinking about how to react.
(I like it when Trey feigns going to the screen, and cuts the other way … he’s done well with that)

5-out may be considered as a more recent reinvention of the 4 corners … almost as old as dirt.
Take the defender out of the post so he can’t help on anyone cutting to the basket,

Offensive execution is suffering … it’s not that the talent isn’t ’NBA talent’ …
We are still playing double post too. Until we get at least 4 shooters on the floor we will struggle offensively. When our 4s can hit 2-3 shots outside the post we get a much better result. We get great looks just can’t hit them.

Knight didn’t use the pick and roll. He also hated the three point shot. The game today is everything he hated.

Maybe. Either way, we should be better than a sub-100 offense. Very concerning that that's where CMW has us.
He’s not going to change it. He wants kids/recruits to see what he runs. Archie ran with what personnel dictated. Not any better results. Woody wants tape to show. Sure it’s not exactly ideal. It will work eventually when he gets true stretch 4s. Look at race and Galloway. They still shoot it regardless if they make it. He’s got a style and he’s going to run it. Pound it until it works. This is a personnel problem.

Calipari coached college first and he also has like 8 five stars each year to work with. We basically have one five star.

No idea but the track record of NBA guys coming to college is beyond abysmal...Penny, Mulling, Ewing, Avery Johnson, Danny Manning, Hoiberg, Ollie, Stackhouse etc.

I thought after maybe Beilein that Woody was easily the worst possible hire. But let it play out. We won't know what we have until the end of next season.

That has always been my concern with this hire that these nba guys don't usually pan out. Yes he loves iu and has passion but will likely need to recruit superior talent for this current offense to work.

• Haha
That has always been my concern with this hire that these nba guys don't usually pan out. Yes he loves iu and has passion but will likely need to recruit superior talent for this current offense to work.
He isn’t the only coach by a long shot to run this offense. They are 2 stretch 4s away from being top tier B1G type team. Give him time. Why do you think Archie wanted those type players? He couldn’t recruit them worth a crap.

He isn’t the only coach by a long shot to run this offense. They are 2 stretch 4s away from being top tier B1G type team. Give him time. Why do you think Archie wanted those type players? He couldn’t recruit them worth a crap.
This should still be a tourney team
Ryan Phillip's seems to think if we miss the ncaa it sets the program back even further.

• Haha
Everybody wants those players. Having an NBA coach gives us a chance at them.

You gotta be kidding me. Proud of the effort? Are we now to that level at IU?

People in general can't admit when they're wrong. I thought when we were still chasing Stevens that Woody was probably the worst possible hire that we could make. Just made no sense whatsoever. But it's not over yet. He can still succeed here but making the dance this season is an absolute must.

If not the majority of the fan base starts the period where they root for losses and for recruits to go elsewhere to speed up the firing process. Impossible to ever recover from that. We aren't there but we're getting close.

Yes….you guys expect different results in an instant. I get it…Cav is a glass half full guy. You are a glass is empty I want more guy. IU is a project that isn’t going to be fixed with just a coaching change. That’s why Thad was brought on. If people expected massive one year change then god help you. They are a team that can be 5th to 8th in the conference. Most experts picked us 7th with upside. They are who they are. Give woody and the staff some room.

This should still be a tourney team
Ryan Phillip's seems to think if we miss the ncaa it sets the program back even further.
Further than what? We didn't even have a team when Woodson was hired until he recruited guys out of the portal. Archie's recruiting had dried up. It would be disappointing. It won't set the program back.

People in general can't admit when they're wrong. I thought when we were still chasing Stevens that Woody was probably the worst possible hire that we could make. Just made no sense whatsoever. But it's not over yet. He can still succeed here but making the dance this season is an absolute must.

If not the majority of the fan base starts the period where they root for losses and for recruits to go elsewhere to speed up the firing process. Impossible to ever recover from that. We aren't there but we're getting close.
Lol. Speaking for the majority of the fan base? Some of you make zero sense. 🤦🏻

Reactions: bawlmer

But at least we will now never have to hear again about how we have to hire an iu. They got their iu guy. But i would think given next year looks worse we have to make it this year. Problem is iowa, michigan, and rutgers are now all winning and we are losing. I think we may be in 9th now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT