ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Run Defense

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
They give up an avg of 62 yds a game. Northwestern beat them but only rushed for 25 yards. They abandoned the run game the same way we did in Columbus. This is a bad game to break in a new QB.

Reactions: cidsports
They give up an avg of 62 yds a game. Northwestern beat them but only rushed for 25 yards. They abandoned the run game the same way we did in Columbus. This is a bad game to break in a new QB.
Any BIG game is bad game to break in a new quarterback especially this year. But yes we can possibly work it to our advantage. Wisconsin has to defend an unknown. Is he going to show up more in the run game. Are we going to change from a down the field pas game to to short quick game. What are Tuttles strengths what are his weaknesses. So basically two weeks of preparation might have just gone out the window. Granted we are not going to scrap everything this week but some play calling might be different now.

That stat may be a bit misleading seeing as they have only played 3 Games - Including the Season Opener against a bad Illinois team. They may be that good, but it is a small sample size.

Reactions: Lillyr66
Next weekend has the potential to be a long day. We are much better defending the pass than the run, and we are not likely to have any success rushing the ball against Wisconsin, so we'll find out what Tuttle is all about. This is the first really good defense we have played (although Michigan state is pretty good, and Penn State is solid.)

Next weekend has the potential to be a long day. We are much better defending the pass than the run, and we are not likely to have any success rushing the ball against Wisconsin, so we'll find out what Tuttle is all about. This is the first really good defense we have played (although Michigan state is pretty good, and Penn State is solid.)

I feel like we should load the box. Mertz isn’t that good and we can put guys on an island.

Reactions: ulrey
I feel like we should load the box. Mertz isn’t that good and we can put guys on an island.
Right now Wisconsin has 2 Senior Wide Receivers who have been injured and haven't played for a while. Whether they will be back for our game, I don't know, but they should be rusty. Mertz is good, but you are looking at a small sample size with the opener against Illinois making him look like a Hall of Fame Candidate. With our Secondary, I like your idea. Force Mertz to beat you by passing and take your chances. Mertz was on the COVID List at one time, so he may not be fully healthy or as sharp as he was early in the year.

Reactions: ESalum86
I do think that Wisconsin run offense is a beast. It is a power attack that is going to come downhill at you. As opposed to a the OSu attack which is more a finesse style. They are probably not as sophisticated in the pass game as Osu but are very good at what they do. It is going to be a real challenge trying to defend Wisconsin. If we can slow their run game down and get them into throwing situations we can have success. Slowing their run game is a big IF .

Is he going to show up more in the run game.
There's no way they're going to run Tuttle. They didn't run Penix when they had Tuttle waiting, so I can't see them rolling the dice and risking JT's health with an unknown #3. Is it Dexter Williams?

There's no way they're going to run Tuttle. They didn't run Penix when they had Tuttle waiting, so I can't see them rolling the dice and risking JT's health with an unknown #3. Is it Dexter Williams?
I wonder why other teams use the quarterback in the run game but people are opposed to it. I understand being reluctant to use Penix. OSU doesn’t have a problem running Fields other teams also do it.

Yes. Dexter Williams. And he’s promising but he isn’t ready to play yet.

If Wisconsin gets away with holding like Ohio State did it could be difficult. i went back and reviewed that OSU game. The left tackle for OSU was holding on 80% of the plays. The td run by master Teague was a hold big time. There were other shirt pulling examples on video. It really comes down to what gets called on game day. We have some good rotational depth up front that should help us. It will be a test of our Strength program Up there. My words For the week would be Bow up or Strength training show out.

Man we get called for every hold. Baldwins long run got called back on a hold that was 20 yards away.

I'm not worried about Wisconsin's run defense since we don't have a run game to speak of.

This week is where Sheridan is going to earn his paycheck, making a gameplan work around Tuttle (most likely, assuming MP is out). As it is, the offense has been far too reliant on the big play this year to score points, although it certainly has scored points.

I have to assume IU is better on offense than Northwestern, and although Northwestern is getting lots of pub, I have to think IU's defense is better too.

I wonder why other teams use the quarterback in the run game but people are opposed to it. I understand being reluctant to use Penix. OSU doesn’t have a problem running Fields other teams also do it.
You almost have to run the QB if you want to have a successful run game. If a defense can just run blitz the running back it gets really hard to run the ball. Maryland was run blitzing quite often and most of the stuffs were a result of that.

I'm not worried about Wisconsin's run defense since we don't have a run game to speak of.

This week is where Sheridan is going to earn his paycheck, making a gameplan work around Tuttle (most likely, assuming MP is out). As it is, the offense has been far too reliant on the big play this year to score points, although it certainly has scored points.

I have to assume IU is better on offense than Northwestern, and although Northwestern is getting lots of pub, I have to think IU's defense is better too.
We'll find out how good our offense really is this week. This is a really good defense. And we'll also find out if Penix's ability was compensating for shortcoming on the offensive line. Hoping that's not the case.

You almost have to run the QB if you want to have a successful run game. If a defense can just run blitz the running back it gets really hard to run the ball. Maryland was run blitzing quite often and most of the stuffs were a result of that.
Totally agree because if you bring guys into the formation then you also potentially bring extra defenders which defeats the purpose. Also if you bring in a tight end you take an athlete off the field.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Right now Wisconsin has 2 Senior Wide Receivers who have been injured and haven't played for a while. Whether they will be back for our game, I don't know, but they should be rusty. Mertz is good, but you are looking at a small sample size with the opener against Illinois making him look like a Hall of Fame Candidate. With our Secondary, I like your idea. Force Mertz to beat you by passing and take your chances. Mertz was on the COVID List at one time, so he may not be fully healthy or as sharp as he was early in the year.
Hey guys - this is right. Pryor and Davis are the 2 top WRs and did not make the trip to Evanston two weeks ago. Pryor is reportedly back at practice. Having neither of those guys really hurt against NW - of course in the pass game, but they also run jet sweeps. UW had 10 carries by WRs in the Michigan game alone. One of the replacement WRs fumbled the exchange on a jet sweep against NW (which UW recovered) and they took that play out of the game plan.

The UW running game is different this year because there's no Jonathan Tayor/Melvin Gordon/pick a former Badger RB Doak Walker candidate. It's been by committee. But, true freshman Jalen Berger might one day be that guy. He had to play against Michigan because he was one of only two healthy TBs and he did very well.

The defense lost its best cover corner (Wildgoose) for the year and he declared for the draft. That's a huge loss against a passing attack like IU.

Reactions: TMFT
Did we learn anything about our run game using the wildcat? It seemed like Scott was a lot more patient and waited for a hole to develop. Before we just tried to pound it up the middle and our OLine was getting no movement other than a few times from Caleb.

Reactions: UncleMark

Wisky is spending most of their time right now preparing for Scott and Baldwin so Tuttle MUST have some success throwing the ball.

Excited for Tuttle. THIS is what he's been waiting for and think he'll be laser focused this week in practice and film room. If OL can give him time, he's got the horses to throw to to make things happen. And I want to see the IU D put some misdirection into their schemes and fluster their QB like NU did!

Reactions: IU Fan 1989

Here's my thinking:

We beat Rutgers, Michigan, MSU and Maryland convincingly.
Led Rutgers 20-7 at half. Won 37-21.
Led Michigan 24-7 at half. Won 38-21.
Led MSU 24-0 at half. Won 24-0.
Led Maryland 7-3 at half. Won 27-11.
None were ever really in doubt.
Even WITH the Penn State miracle finish, The Pundits felt we were legit.

Why were we even IN the Penn State game and the OSU game?
Defense. BIG plays on defense. Consistent pressure on the QB.
Defense gave the offense a chance.
A defense we've been waiting on for DECADES.

THAT has not changed. Just Penix.

Wisky doesn't have better QB protection than PSU or OSU.
They've given up 6 sacks in 3 games.
And NOT against the best defenses.
Our defensive pressure is better than he saw from Illinois, Michigan or NW.
We have 20 sacks in 6 games - NW has 10.

We still have Whop and Ty and 2-3 others who can make plays, and we've got Scott and Baldwin and maybe James. Best they've seen yet?

Might even get Jones back. (He started against Michigan. ASSUME its Covid and he got a 21 day sit-down under stupid Big 10 rules that ignore all Covid stats and CDC advice, starting 11/13 - the day before the MSU game. His earliest 21 days would end Friday 12/4. If there are later + tests or its not Covid, who the hell knows. But IF he comes back, it will help.)

IMO our coordinators are doing a GREAT job. Calling great games. Mixing it up.

Tuttle knows the offense.
He can do EVERYTHING we need.

I say we win a dogfight because our guys are still HUNGRY.

Losing Penix will focus them - not diminish them.

I could be wrong - but I feel right.

I'd like to add in support of your point here:

vs. PSU - 1 sack
vs. Rutgers - 3 sacks
vs. Mich. - 3 sacks
vs. MSU - 4 sacks
vs. OSU - 5 sacks (with a few notable chances where Fields got loose)
vs. Maryland - 3 sacks

I don't know if it's some schematic wrinkle Wommack is running or what. But aside from the constant blitzes & pressure, it seems like as the season has progressed, more of those pass rushes are actually making it home and turning pressures into sacks.

It's also notable that two of Fields's picks were in situations where he was getting hit and should've taken the sack when he instead trusted his talent too much and threw up a prayer that got picked off.

I'll be honest, I didn't love having to send so many blitzes early in the season when it didn't feel like they were getting as much pressure/sacks as I'd generally like to see. Whatever they're doing, whether it's the team or the teams they're playing, seems to be working and I personally think the boys' confidence is just sky high right now and it's turning into production on the field.

With Indiana's defense's ability to create turnovers and obviously confuse the opposing QB, I'm starting to feel decent about our chances in Madison.

It should be a pretty good game, I can't wait! If it comes down to a field goal, I like our spot. Hopefully we beat the brakes off of them.

Here's my thinking:

We beat Rutgers, Michigan, MSU and Maryland convincingly.
Led Rutgers 20-7 at half. Won 37-21.
Led Michigan 24-7 at half. Won 38-21.
Led MSU 24-0 at half. Won 24-0.
Led Maryland 7-3 at half. Won 27-11.
None were ever really in doubt.
Even WITH the Penn State miracle finish, The Pundits felt we were legit.

Why were we even IN the Penn State game and the OSU game?
Defense. BIG plays on defense. Consistent pressure on the QB.
Defense gave the offense a chance.
A defense we've been waiting on for DECADES.

THAT has not changed. Just Penix.

We still have Whop and Ty and 2-3 others who can make plays, and we've got Scott and Baldwin and maybe James. Best they've seen yet?

Might even get Jones back. (He started against Michigan. ASSUME its Covid and he got a 21 day sit-down under stupid Big 10 rules that ignore all Covid stats and CDC advice, starting 11/13 - the day before the MSU game. His earliest 21 days would end Friday 12/4. If there are later + tests or its not Covid, who the hell knows. But IF he comes back, it will help.)

IMO our coordinators are doing a GREAT job. Calling great games. Mixing it up.

Tuttle knows the offense.
He can do EVERYTHING we need.

I say we win a dogfight because our guys are still HUNGRY.

Losing Penix will focus them - not diminish them.

I could be wrong - but I feel right.

No brag.
Just fact.

Reactions: UncleMark and TMFT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT