ADVERTISEMENT

Will Wade

Crean had coached in and won in the top conference in America at the time - the Big East. Also assistant with Tom Izzo. He developed multiple NBA players including Wade, Novak, Diener, etc. And yes, he went to the Final Four.

Archie coached in the A10 and had one good E8 run. He has yet to have a former player in the NBA.

Crean was far superior at the time than Archie is now. And I don’t think anyone wants to set the barometer of success as Tom Crean.
You made the following points for Crean:
1. He won in the Big East. As HoosierChamps outlined above, he finished fourth (10-6), fifth (10-6), and fifth (11-7) in his three years in the Big East. I don’t agree with your point here, and it was a mistake to hire Crean after he demonstrated he couldn’t win at the top level.
2. He was an assistant with Izzo. Yes, Crean was an assistant for one of the best coaches of all time, and I give him credit for that.
3. He developed multiple NBA players. You are right, and I give him credit for that too.

My points for Archie are:
1. He went to the tournament the final four consecutive years of his six seasons.
2. After the second season, he had a better record each year in conference including winning it in his final two seasons.
3. He went to an Elite Eight and established a consistent winner without any NBA players.

I suppose it’s just a matter of how you look at it, and we are not seeing things in the same way. Again, I don’t think you are unintelligent as others on here have suggested, but I do think that the embarrassment that Crean brought on our program has rattled you. Archie may not achieve the level of winning necessary to keep his job, but I do think he will reclaim some respect along the way. As a younger, recent IU alum, I expect to go to final fours and win another championship. If Archie doesn’t get it done, then he’s out.

So; one tournament win in 3 years is more than Archie's Elite 8 run? The stupid sure is strong in you.
You conveniently left out Crean’s Final Four run.

How many tournament games has Archie Miller won in his 8 year career if you exclude his Elite 8 run? The answer is ONE.

You made the following points for Crean:
1. He won in the Big East. As HoosierChamps outlined above, he finished fourth (10-6), fifth (10-6), and fifth (11-7) in his three years in the Big East. I don’t agree with your point here, and it was a mistake to hire Crean after he demonstrated he couldn’t win at the top level.
2. He was an assistant with Izzo. Yes, Crean was an assistant for one of the best coaches of all time, and I give him credit for that.
3. He developed multiple NBA players. You are right, and I give him credit for that too.

My points for Archie are:
1. He went to the tournament the final four consecutive years of his six seasons.
2. After the second season, he had a better record each year in conference including winning it in his final two seasons.
3. He went to an Elite Eight and established a consistent winner without any NBA players.

I suppose it’s just a matter of how you look at it, and we are not seeing things in the same way. Again, I don’t think you are unintelligent as others on here have suggested, but I do think that the embarrassment that Crean brought on our program has rattled you. Archie may not achieve the level of winning necessary to keep his job, but I do think he will reclaim some respect along the way. As a younger, recent IU alum, I expect to go to final fours and win another championship. If Archie doesn’t get it done, then he’s out.
I never once said Crean won the Big East. Never.

There’s absolutely nothing objective that shows Archie is even equal to Crean as a HC. People are just basing that assumption on blind hope. The same blind hope that had people 100% convinced that Crean was a great coach for years and years. Some day people will wake up.

I never once said Crean won the Big East. Never.

There’s absolutely nothing objective that shows Archie is even equal to Crean as a HC. People are just basing that assumption on blind hope. The same blind hope that had people 100% convinced that Crean was a great coach for years and years. Some day people will wake up.
Yes, there is no objective evidence to say that Archie is going to be a winner and there is no objective evidence to say he won’t be, so what is there to wake up to? Are you suggesting we should give up hope in program altogether?

You conveniently left out Crean’s Final Four run.

How many tournament games has Archie Miller won in his 8 year career if you exclude his Elite 8 run? The answer is ONE.
You conveniently left out that your original post talked about Creans successful run in the Big East, and that is what i was talking about. Stay on topic junior.

Archie has won one tournament game in his entire career without the Elite 8 run. ONE.
And that ONE win (minus the Elite 8 run) is EXACTLY how many NCAA tournament games that Crean won as a member of the Big East. Keep up the deflections kiddo, your God Crean would be proud.

And that ONE win (minus the Elite 8 run) is EXACTLY how many NCAA tournament games that Crean won as a member of the Big East. Keep up the deflections kiddo, your God Crean would be proud.
I was Crean’s biggest critic since his 3rd year here. You were likely in grade school at the time. He should not be the barometer we measure success against. But he is lightyears ahead of Archie as a coach. It’s not even close.

You conveniently left out that your original post talked about Creans successful run in the Big East, and that is what i was talking about. Stay on topic junior.
I said he won in the Big East. Which he did. He took a Conference USA team into the toughest conference in the country. In 3 years he made the NCAA tournament every year and finished at worst 5th in the 15-20 team league. He did really well there.

Yes, there is no objective evidence to say that Archie is going to be a winner and there is no objective evidence to say he won’t be, so what is there to wake up to? Are you suggesting we should give up hope in program altogether?
There is plenty of objective evidence that he won’t be. How about the last 2 seasons?

There is plenty of objective evidence that he won’t be. How about the last 2 seasons?
I think we are circling back to where we started, which tells me that our last option is to agree to disagree. I will leave it at that for now.

I said he won in the Big East. Which he did. He took a Conference USA team into the toughest conference in the country. In 3 years he made the NCAA tournament every year and finished at worst 5th in the 15-20 team league. He did really well there.
We do not agree on what "winning" in the Big East means. Finishing tied 4th and twice tied 5th is not what I call winning. By your definition if Archie finishes tied 5th next season I can quote you that he is "winning" in the B10.

I was Crean’s biggest critic since his 3rd year here. You were likely in grade school at the time. He should not be the barometer we measure success against. But he is lightyears ahead of Archie as a coach. It’s not even close.
Once again, when presented with stone cold facts you deflect, deflect, deflect. Nice try kiddo, but its time to let the adults in the room take over now. Go enjoy your pudding and nappy time.

We do not agree on what "winning" in the Big East means. Finishing tied 4th and twice tied 5th is not what I call winning. By your definition if Archie finishes tied 5th next season I can quote you that he is "winning" in the B10.
The Big Ten isn’t half as good as the Big East was back then. And Archie still can’t make the tournament. Something Crean never missed in the Big East.

Concerning Coach Crean, and concerning winning championships, his biggest failing, his Waterloo, was losing to Syracuse in the tournament when it became obvious that he was unable to figure out the zone, and teach attacking it to his number one ranked team. Not winning then, that really hurt.

Reactions: cryano
Concerning Coach Crean, and concerning winning championships, his biggest failing, his Waterloo, was losing to Syracuse in the tournament when it became obvious that he was unable to figure out the zone, and teach attacking it to his number one ranked team. Not winning then, that really hurt.
So Crean was damned for failing to figure out how to score vs one team in one game...

Archie hasnt figured scoring offense out in over 60 chances...

Reactions: fpeaugh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT