ADVERTISEMENT

Will Wade

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I know Wade was reinstated a few months ago by LSU. Did new information come out that cleared him from FBI corruption probe? I thought they had him on wiretap with damning evidence.

I would wager money he’s at LSU longer than Archie is at IU.
Highly doubtful...he is recorded talking about paying kids. Your disdain of Archie is getting old. If next year sucks then I will agree but give the guy another year

Reactions: mattn7
He will be canned once it comes out in court. The dude cheated. Why you would want a known cheater as your coach is beyond crazy. Coaches that are outed as a cheater tend to lose their jobs and respect. Ask Rick Pitino

Reactions: brianiu
Have you looked to see how Tony Bennett did his first 3 years at Virginia?
Tony Bennett was a proven winning coach in the PAC 10. And he made the tournament his 3rd year.

Plus he took over a Virginia program that had made the NCAA tournament 1 time in its previous 8 seasons, and twice in the last 12 years. He took over a dumpster fire and turned it around quickly. As a lower level team in the best conference in the country.

Archie took over a program that won two outright Big Ten championships in the previous 5 years with a great recruiting base and a top 5-8 all time program. No comparison at all.

No, it doesn't.

2009–10 Virginia 15–16 5–11 T–9th
2010–11 Virginia 16–15 7–9 T–7th
2011–12 Virginia 22–10 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64

With the haterz Bennett would have never made it to 2011-12.

Not true. Besides everything fpeugh already pointed out. They lost their best player( Mike Scott) 10 games into Bennett's 2nd season (a better player than Juwan Morgan). Also, some random Virginia fan posted on here and said they only had 7 scholarships players at the end of his 3rd season and Joe Harris was playing with cast on one of his hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh
No, it doesn't.

2009–10 Virginia 15–16 5–11 T–9th
2010–11 Virginia 16–15 7–9 T–7th
2011–12 Virginia 22–10 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64

With the haterz Bennett would have never made it to 2011-12.
I see you hang on to Bennett’s record...and his year 3 and forward improvement...

But the article clearly shows about 1/6 of all ncaa coaches were released this year for failing to win...many which could neber get over their slow start...

We dont know which path Archie will follow...but we each have obviously our own opinion based on his performance to date. I just have no frickin clue what’s led you to yours...

Have you looked to see how Tony Bennett did his first 3 years at Virginia?
Keep in mind Tony Bennett had proven success at a Power 5 school before Virginia. Jury is still out on whether Archie is in over his head in B1G. As you said tho, another year will tell the story.

Keep in mind Tony Bennett had proven success at a Power 5 school before Virginia. Jury is still out on whether Archie is in over his head in B1G. As you said tho, another year will tell the story.
Also keep in mind he had that success in large part because his father "greased the skids" for him at Washington State - Tony and his father were able to implement what became known as the "packline" during Dick Bennett's 3 years in Pullman.

2003–04 Washington State 13–16[20] 7–11[20] T–7th[21]
2004–05 Washington State 12–16[22] 7–11[22] T–6th[23]
2005–06 Washington State 11–17[24] 4–14[24] 10th[25]
Washington State: 36–49 18–36

36-49 overall, 18-36 in the Pac 12 - but was able to develop a culture that understood the defensive principles of the packline. Those 3 years also allowed Tony (who was the main recruiter) to bring in players that fit that system.

If you don't take that into account, you're not making an apples-to-apples comparison.

Reactions: All4You
We dont know which path Archie will follow...but we each have obviously our own opinion based on his performance to date. I just have no frickin clue what’s led you to yours...

Even with everything that went wrong this past year, we were ONE game from making the NCAA Tournament. 1 game.

Turnover percentage improved and the defense got better each of the first two years - when considering the cultural shift from the prior coaching staff (which didn't value possessions nor committing to lockdown defense) that most certainly is a step in the right direction.

But, I understand - it doesn't fit your narrative. Just remember what you said above: "We dont know which path Archie will follow". I can't guarantee success anymore than you can guarantee failure.

Not true. Besides everything fpeugh already pointed out. They lost their best player( Mike Scott) 10 games into the season, his 2nd season (a better player than Juwan Morgan). Also, some random Virginia fan came on here and said they only had 7 scholarships players at the end of his 3rd season and Joe Harris, one of the healthy 7, was wearing a cast.
We had this past season:

**Our best player (Langford) playing with a torn ligament (which required surgery at the end of the season) from the Duke game on.

**Our best point guard (who sprearheads the packline) missing nearly 3 weeks and still wasn't back to pre-concussion form until the 2nd Purdue game.

**Our other starting guard (Durham) had a finger on his shooting hand turned perpendicular during the first Michigan St game. Look at his shooting before and after.

**Our best inside player (Morgan) had to play in the post instead of his natural spot at power forward (much like Darryl Thomas in '86). DeRon Davis took nearly the entire year to get fully healthy (ever had an achilles tear?) and both Race Thompson and Jerome Hunter missing most/all of the year killed our inside depth.

**With Hunter, we lost what very well could have been a significant scorer and outside threat - a consistent 3rd option this team never had all year.

But, hey, we've been over all this before. You're gonna believe what you want to believe. I've told you why I believe what I do. This year will tell us a lot about what we have as a coach.

Even with everything that went wrong this past year, we were ONE game from making the NCAA Tournament. 1 game.

Turnover percentage improved and the defense got better each of the first two years - when considering the cultural shift from the prior coaching staff (which didn't value possessions nor committing to lockdown defense) that most certainly is a step in the right direction.

But, I understand - it doesn't fit your narrative. Just remember what you said above: "We dont know which path Archie will follow". I can't guarantee success anymore than you can guarantee failure.
Saying we missed by One Game - is not a truth either...theres nothing to verify that or make it known as fact...
One game in B10 tourney, one game in January, game in....which one game?
Thats a losers excuse...

IU may have missed by 2 or 3 or more games...who knows.

Then theres a large segment of this board that cites Archie’s year 2 improvement claiming IU made the tourney, acting if NIT is something to mention proudly as a tourney...

Tony Bennett was a proven winning coach in the PAC 10. And he made the tournament his 3rd year.

No, he made the NCAA tournament his first year as head coach - AFTER having his dad implement the packline the 3 years prior

Plus he took over a Virginia program that had made the NCAA tournament 1 time in its previous 8 seasons, and twice in the last 12 years. He took over a dumpster fire and turned it around quickly. As a lower level team in the best conference in the country.

Dumpster fire? Two year prior to Bennett arriving at Virginia they tied North Caroilina for the ACC regular-season title (2007). And, btw, Bennett didn't make the NCAA at Virginia until his 3rd season.

Archie took over a program that won two outright Big Ten championships in the previous 5 years with a great recruiting base and a top 5-8 all time program. No comparison at all.

Archie took over a program that had made the NCAA tournament barely half (8) of the preceding 15 years. The prior year the team had been 18-16 (7-11 Big 10; T-10th) and had lost it's best 3 players to the NBA via the draft/free agent signing.

Top 5-8 all-time? Didn't you just say this 2 days ago?

No one cares who won 70-80 years ago. Sorry...they just don’t.

I guess it matters when it fits your narrative . . . :rolleyes:

Saying we missed by One Game - is not a truth either...theres nothing to verify that or make it known as fact...

From the article:

"The highlight matchup for the second day of action is undoubtedly the game between Ohio State (No. 8 seed) and Indiana (No. 9 seed), which will be held at the United Center in Chicago for the first time since 2015.

ESPN's bracketology expert Joe Lunardi has both the Buckeyes and the Hoosiers on the bubble. Ohio State is on the "last four in" list, while Indiana is on the "first four out" list, meaning each squad needs to beat the other on Thursday night to punch their ticket to March Madness.
"

We had this past season:

**Our best player (Langford) playing with a torn ligament (which required surgery at the end of the season) from the Duke game on.

**Our best point guard (who sprearheads the packline) missing nearly 3 weeks and still wasn't back to pre-concussion form until the 2nd Purdue game.

**Our other starting guard (Durham) had a finger on his shooting hand turned perpendicular during the first Michigan St game. Look at his shooting before and after.

**Our best inside player (Morgan) had to play in the post instead of his natural spot at power forward (much like Darryl Thomas in '86). DeRon Davis took nearly the entire year to get fully healthy (ever had an achilles tear?) and both Race Thompson and Jerome Hunter missing most/all of the year killed our inside depth.

**With Hunter, we lost what very well could have been a significant scorer and outside threat - a consistent 3rd option this team never had all year.

But, hey, we've been over all this before. You're gonna believe what you want to believe. I've told you why I believe what I do. This year will tell us a lot about what we have as a coach.

I was providing reasoning for why I wouldn’t have been worried with Bennett.

I was providing reasoning for why I wouldn’t have been worried with Bennett.
Don’t get me wrong - I think Bennett is a good coach, would have loved to got him in ‘08 (except knew how Kathi’s time here ended probably killed that).

But those that want to grant Bennett props for what he did at Washington State as doing something great at a Power 5 school have to acknowledge how that was achieved - by his dad laying the foundation in the 3 years he was head coach. By the time Tony took over (2006-07) the team was in their 4th season of learning the defense and getting players that fit that system. HUGE difference.

Archie is going into his 3rd year here with only one true recruiting class, taking over a program that had a high TO percentage and didn’t stop people defensively. He lost all the best talent the previous staff had, yet had made improvements in both areas each of his two years.

Does that mean he’s gonna smash it year 3? Hell no - but I won’t be a bit surprised if we make the dance this coming year.

IF LFU keeps Wade and he is found cheating,LSU takes the risk of having wins wiped out plus penalties.That's a big if by NCAA even looking at LSU. They are too busy on the golf course living off of bribes from Duke,UK and UNC. Plus Kansas.

IF LFU keeps Wade and he is found cheating,LSU takes the risk of having wins wiped out plus penalties.That's a big if by NCAA even looking at LSU. They are too busy on the golf course living off of bribes from Duke,UK and UNC. Plus Kansas.
Wiped out wins only hurts a coach trying to set historical records...see UL.

Bottom line is Archie deserves to get the chance to price us next year. This year was hammered by injuries. If next year we miss the dance then Yes start packing it up.

Reactions: Stellara1
Don’t get me wrong - I think Bennett is a good coach, would have loved to got him in ‘08 (except knew how Kathi’s time here ended probably killed that).

But those that want to grant Bennett props for what he did at Washington State as doing something great at a Power 5 school have to acknowledge how that was achieved - by his dad laying the foundation in the 3 years he was head coach. By the time Tony took over (2006-07) the team was in their 4th season of learning the defense and getting players that fit that system. HUGE difference.

Archie is going into his 3rd year here with only one true recruiting class, taking over a program that had a high TO percentage and didn’t stop people defensively. He lost all the best talent the previous staff had, yet had made improvements in both areas each of his two years.

Does that mean he’s gonna smash it year 3? Hell no - but I won’t be a bit surprised if we make the dance this coming year.

I agree that part of the reason TB was successful in his first year was because he had been there the 3 prior years as an assistant coach (having his system in place, knowing his players better, and etc.). We disagree about his dad laying the foundation. I think his Dad was at the end of his career and wasn't that good of a coach at the time (in comparison to other major D1 coaches), hence the 13-16, 12-16, and 11-17 records his last 3 years.

Also, Dick Bennett wasn't that great of a coach throughout his career. For example, Tom Crean, has been a more successful D1 coach than Dick Bennett.

Last edited:
Not true. Besides everything fpeugh already pointed out. They lost their best player( Mike Scott) 10 games into the season, his 2nd season (a better player than Juwan Morgan). Also, some random Virginia fan posted on here and said they only had 7 scholarships players at the end of his 3rd season. Also, Joe Harris, one of the healthy players, was wearing a cast.
According to feepaw, injuries do not matter.

Not true. Besides everything fpeugh already pointed out. They lost their best player( Mike Scott) 10 games into the season, his 2nd season (a better player than Juwan Morgan). Also, some random Virginia fan posted on here and said they only had 7 scholarships players at the end of his 3rd season. Also, Joe Harris, one of the healthy players, was wearing a cast.

LOL. According Dr. Fpeaugh, injuries don't matter and concussions don't impact basketball players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT