ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes down to 3

It very well may be the case, but you offered it up as if it were fact. It's fine to speculate. Wilkes comments could be interpreted more than one way.
Sure they can...but i did not state it was a fact... it is an opinion... like everyone else on this site...yet some claim to have facts...based on gossip and hearsay...it is quite entertaining...life in the CBC

I am not turning anything around... you seem to be... Lying is something you created ... His comments are there as you know (knew) they are (were) and you are twisting to serve your purpose... The reality of the situation is that these recruits do care who is going where and their position availability relative to their aspirations... I understand you have disdain for CTC but you "denigrators" make things up all the time regarding him and when someone counters your position then you go on attack! It is hilarious! In this case... Wilkes was miffed... okay... Bowen was mutually removed from UCLA ... these things happen. Some of you are painting a picture that is no more than conjecture on your part... by repeating it over and over does not make it true... relax and enjoy the season!

Reading his comments again, I find them a bit cryptic. Almost any interpretation would fall somewhere along the speculation spectrum. My personal speculation is that he was trying to set the tone of his visit. He wanted them to understand going in that he didn't want the dog and pony show.

I believe that Smith has very little to do with whatever decision he ultimately makes. I think he wants to showcase his skills as a 3 with no chance of circumstance forcing him into playing the 4. UCLA is full to the brim with 5's and 4's with nary a 3 to be found. I'm really reaching here, but if IU had more bigs signed on for next season... IU would be his easy choice.

Think about it. Smith is a 3, Morgan is being promoted as a point guard:), Thomas and OG are very likely gone. There's no guarantee at IU that Wilkes wouldn't have found himself playing the role that he's made it clear he does not want to play.

Even at Illinois, the presence of Tillmon, Black and Finke provide more of a guarantee that he would play the 3.

Reading his comments again, I find them a bit cryptic. Almost any interpretation would fall somewhere along the speculation spectrum. My personal speculation is that he was trying to set the tone of his visit. He wanted them to understand going in that he didn't want the dog and pony show.

I believe that Smith has very little to do with whatever decision he ultimately makes. I think he wants to showcase his skills as a 3 with no chance of circumstance forcing him into playing the 4. UCLA is full to the brim with 5's and 4's with nary a 3 to be found. I'm really reaching here, but if IU had more bigs signed on for next season... IU would be his easy choice.

Think about it. Smith is a 3, Morgan is being promoted as a point guard:), Thomas and OG are very likely gone. There's no guarantee at IU that Wilkes wouldn't have found himself playing the role that he's made it clear he does not want to play.

Even at Illinois, the presence of Tillmon, Black and Finke provide more of a guarantee that he would play the 3.

I think that you are addressing probably Wilkes's biggest concern with choosing IU.

I am not turning anything around... you seem to be... Lying is something you created ... His comments are there as you know (knew) they are (were) and you are twisting to serve your purpose... The reality of the situation is that these recruits do care who is going where and their position availability relative to their aspirations... I understand you have disdain for CTC but you "denigrators" make things up all the time regarding him and when someone counters your position then you go on attack! It is hilarious! In this case... Wilkes was miffed... okay... Bowen was mutually removed from UCLA ... these things happen. Some of you are painting a picture that is no more than conjecture on your part... by repeating it over and over does not make it true... relax and enjoy the season!
Here is the Merriam-Webster definition of you favorite word: MYTH.
  • an idea or story that is believed by many people but that is not true
You're belief that KW is upset that JS "beat him to the spot" is only relevant here IF Crean had made KW promise after promise that he was "their guy". Are you now admitting to that, or are you ready to spin us something else?

Last edited:
I think that you are addressing probably Wilkes's biggest concern with choosing IU.
Considering that he's looking at the best situation to be able to go pro, can hardly blame him.

Vonleh was assured he'd be used as a wing/stretch 4 also instead of being planted down low. We all know how that one worked out.

Isn't it possible that his cancellation of a visit to UCLA might have nothing to do with Wilkes?
Sure. Just as it is possible Alford told Bowen that KW was coming. It's all possible. bottom line is we lost out on ANOTHER in state talent. Cannot believe some of you see no concern with this coming off B1G title and SW 16. Amazing

Sure. Just as it is possible Alford told Bowen that KW was coming. It's all possible. bottom line is we lost out on ANOTHER in state talent. Cannot believe some of you see no concern with this coming off B1G title and SW 16. Amazing

Seeing that bragging about those results has been their ballyhoo, it should be obvious to them. But I'm sure they'll come up with another excuse.

Isn't it possible that his cancellation of a visit to UCLA might have nothing to do with Wilkes?

A) UCLA taking Wilkes and so Bowen bows out.
B) Bowen sees something about UCLA he doesn't like. Hopefully Wilkes will too. Possibly good for IU.

My gut feeling is A. Curious what ORG's first reaction was.

Sorry, turning it around doesn't work. You lied, period.

Reactions: russelltodd
Here is the Merriam-Webster definition of you favorite word: MYTH.
  • an idea or story that is believed by many people but that is not true
You're belief that KW is upset that JS "beat him to the spot" is only relevant here IF Crean had made KW promise after promise that he was "their guy". Are you now admitting to that, or are you ready to spin us something else?
You come up with some great myths...

For some fans i understand the fretting...sure
The intelligent ones. The others?
564192149_blind_sheep_with_mask_on_xlarge.jpg

Reactions: Rakkasan29
You come up with some great myths...

Here is what you posted yesterday:

Wilkes he did but was not certain he would come...thus JS...because he exhibited a desire to play for IU......

Spa replied:

Wilkes wasn't miffed about that. You're being dishonest again. Please stop making things up.

You replied:

Just read his comments...lol...he was miffed...seeing how the Bowen recruitment has played out...seems to be a real issue for Wilkes...you make things up with your speculations...why are you allowed to...

So . . . Wilkes was miffed about sharing time with Smith? Couldn't be that throughout his recruitment Crean had told him he was their top priority - then Crean takes a commitment from JS, could it? You really think Wilkes is worried about beating out Smith for playing time - or maybe, just maybe, he's a little irked about the message he's been told from the beginning now changing? And pretty convenient that Hartman's injury hasn't been disclosed, huh? Because if Collin is coming back next year, that's one less spot open. You really think people around KW aren't mentioning this? And IF - as you say - Crean is more interested in players that want to play "for Indiana" (as you stated prior in this thread to why Crean took the commitment from JS), why was he at NC just a few days ago? IF what you say is true and Crean wanted to take someone for a spot and was deciding on JS because "he wants to play at IU", why is he still pursuing Wilkes? Makes zero sense - but, then again, most all of your posting do . . .

Wilkes wants to go pro, that's a given. Would you want to play at UCLA where they've recruited a PF and C and already have inside players - or come to IU where TB and OG are likely to go pro and Davis is your only true inside player? Easy choice for Wilkes to make.

Just a few thoughts while reading this post.

1st, we have people on here complaining about the fact we are over signed, who cares would you rather the opposite? Think about it, only have 1 senior so only have 1 commit (AD) at this point. Not take any others because we do not want to over sign anyone, then in May we find out officially that TB, OG, JBJ are entering the draft and another decides to transfer. Now we are in mid May and everyone has signed and we are stuck with 1 signee and 4 openings

2nd, some on here are talking about not disclosing Hartman's injury as an issue, well in reality, that decision is CH not the university and certainly not CTC's.

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
Just a few thoughts while reading this post.

1st, we have people on here complaining about the fact we are over signed, who cares would you rather the opposite? Think about it, only have 1 senior so only have 1 commit (AD) at this point. Not take any others because we do not want to over sign anyone, then in May we find out officially that TB, OG, JBJ are entering the draft and another decides to transfer. Now we are in mid May and everyone has signed and we are stuck with 1 signee and 4 openings

2nd, some on here are talking about not disclosing Hartman's injury as an issue, well in reality, that decision is CH not the university and certainly not CTC's.
I'll reply to both.

First - the issue is in how Crean recruits. No reason to take a commitment from Durham last year - or Gelon just before that. That's why Crean continually finds himself in this mess. And why do other top programs (I say top, because isn't that what IU is supposed to be?) handle unexpected exits just fine without being oversigned like Crean nearly always is?

Second - you're right - it could be CH doesn't want to disclose. But what would be the motivation to do so? If you tore your ACL, why not just say so? And if it's just a severe sprain of the ligament, why hide it?

I've talked to 5 different people about this - three media guys and two AAU people, one who fills me in on Wilkes recruitment. ALL are of the opinion that the injury hasn't been disclosed to keep the door open for the appearance of a return by Hartman this year - thus eliminating the view that Crean is recruiting to a spot that would be filled next year by CH should he return. Sorry, but that makes much more sense to me - especially in light of I can't EVER remember a situation where a player has had a injury like this and it not be disclosed what exactly the extent of the injury is. But you believe what you want . . .

Considering that he's looking at the best situation to be able to go pro, can hardly blame him.

Vonleh was assured he'd be used as a wing/stretch 4 also instead of being planted down low. We all know how that one worked out.

Yeh, I don't know on this one. He's been away from IU for sometime and working on his game full time. I know he hit some 3's at IU but there is not much evidence of solid wing play in his NBA career either.

I thinlk the whole college coach developing for the NBA is a myth. The NBA will find their talent. Ben Simmons went to LSU of all places and was the number 1 pick.

Yeh, I don't know on this one. He's been away from IU for sometime and working on his game full time. I know he hit some 3's at IU but there is not much evidence of solid wing play in his NBA career either.

I thinlk the whole college coach developing for the NBA is a myth. The NBA will find their talent. Ben Simmons went to LSU of all places and was the number 1 pick.
I'm not saying Vonleh should or could be a wing, only that's what was promised to him when he committed to IU.

Look up the meanings of these words. Please..

"Argument."

"Seemingly"

and then consider what these sentences mean.

"It may mean nothing"

"I have no chart or anything"...

Then realize, I was only reflecting, I was not making an argument. I already pointed out I had no data, and used the word "seemingly" for a reason. We can at times actually just converse.

So why even make the comment comparing the walk-on situation to other schools, when you admit you don't know the situations of other schools other than try to stir things up even more against Crean. Sounds like you are being argumentative to me.

I'm no Crean fan, but I don't think the walk-on situation at IU is exclusive to IU, I think many walk-ons use the opportunity to walk-on as a springboard for themselves to other schools with the chance of earning a scholarship or playing time elsewhere.

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
I'm not saying Vonleh should or could be a wing, only that's what was promised to him when he committed to IU.

Fair enough but maybe Vonleh was given the chance in practice and didn't come through consistently enough for it to be in a game plan. Based on his NBA work, he has a lot more development than maybe thought. I don't blame Vonleh for taking the money to develop his game at the next level but he goes in the bucket of should of probably been a 3 year college player. Maybe CTC would have been able to develop that perimeter game and deliver on that promise had he stayed. It worked for Troy.

I've seen enough of Crean that I'm ready to move on at the next crack in the foundation. I think he can keep the team in top 5 of the conference as long the team has a group of junior/seniors in the rotation but once he gets a frosh/soph dominated rotation, I think they are to likely to undisciplined and Turnover prone to not take a dive in the standings and have to go through a rebuild.

I'll reply to both.

First - the issue is in how Crean recruits. No reason to take a commitment from Durham last year - or Gelon just before that. That's why Crean continually finds himself in this mess. And why do other top programs (I say top, because isn't that what IU is supposed to be?) handle unexpected exits just fine without being oversigned like Crean nearly always is?

Second - you're right - it could be CH doesn't want to disclose. But what would be the motivation to do so? If you tore your ACL, why not just say so? And if it's just a severe sprain of the ligament, why hide it?

I've talked to 5 different people about this - three media guys and two AAU people, one who fills me in on Wilkes recruitment. ALL are of the opinion that the injury hasn't been disclosed to keep the door open for the appearance of a return by Hartman this year - thus eliminating the view that Crean is recruiting to a spot that would be filled next year by CH should he return. Sorry, but that makes much more sense to me - especially in light of I can't EVER remember a situation where a player has had a injury like this and it not be disclosed what exactly the extent of the injury is. But you believe what you want . . .

As for part 1 you recruit based on who you plan to have return, right? I can assume there have been conversations with guys like OG, TB, JBJ, and other (potentially TP if set to graduate in 3 years) about their plans. And yes we do bring in some guys that we probably should not (of course just about every program has guys at the end of hte bench that never play--some may be on scholarship, some may not). I would venture to say they technically by spring many of the top programs will be oversigned but know the expectations of the kids on the roster you can see where it will come from.

For the 2nd one you may be absolutely right on the reasoning the injury to CH has not been made public, but let's face that decision is CH's. If he says what it was, we will know, if he does not want it out, then we will not know. I have never understood why we feel the need to know the medical condition of people.

I have never understood why we feel the need to know the medical condition of people.

If CH had some life-threatening or terminal illness I could understand the privacy issue.

But tell me of any other player in a like scenario where the nature of the knee injury has not been disclosed. Again, what is there to hide? If in fact the ligament is not torn but badly sprained, doesn't it reason to think that would be something favorable for CH to return to action at some point?

Remember when Rick Calloway hurt his knee in IU's opener in 1986-87? It was disclosed that he had a strained knee, and he then came back in December. The only thing CH has done so far is participate in the 3 pt contest with a knee brace. There has been nothing to indicate he's coming back anytime soon. Why?

Yeah, I know - it's his right. It's also the right of others - who have never seen the cause of an injury withheld like this - to put 2 and 2 together. It's certainly not just my opinion that this is the explanation.

Reactions: Catfish_ Crazy
I know Cody said he expected to play the 4 right after he committed. We all know Crean was never going to let him play the 4. It does seem like he has a habit of misleading recruits.

When people complain about TC's contract they need to remember what was happening at that time:

The 2011-2012 season was a watershed one for Crean and the program, which saw a 27–9 record and a sweet 16 appearance. The team earned wins over the #1 ranked Kentucky, the #2 ranked Ohio State, and #5 ranked Michigan State. This made Indiana the first Big 10 program to knock off the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the same season since 1991 and the first IU squad ever to defeat three programs ranked in the top five in the regular season.[36][37] The fifteen game win improvement in 2011-2012 was the largest single turnaround in the NCAA that season.[38] Crean's guidance of the program to success from "unthinkable depths" was regarded as one of the most remarkable rebuilding projects in NCAA basketball history.[35] The Hoosiers advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in the 2012 NCAA Tournament before losing a rematch game to Kentucky, who would go on to win the national championship. Following the surprise run to the Sweet Sixteen, the 2012-2013 Hoosiers spent 10 weeks ranked #1 in the country, and all but two weeks in the top 5.[39] The experience of Jordan Hulls and Christian Watford, alongside the talent of Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller, led this team to a finish of outright Big Ten regular season champions for the first time since 2002. They again advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, the first time since the 1992-93 and 1993-94 seasons that the Hoosiers advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in back-to-back seasons. As national player of the year, Oladipo and Zeller both left for the NBA after the conclusion of the season.
Crean lost his main recruiter (Kenny Johnson) to Louisville a few years ago.
He has never recovered from this and it shows.

IF - as you say - Crean is more interested in players that want to play "for Indiana" (as you stated prior in this thread to why Crean took the commitment from JS), why was he at NC just a few days ago? .

Maybe TC was telling Wilkes, IU is no longer recruiting him.

Crean badly wants Wilkes. You're being dishonest to suggest otherwise. In fact, he badly wanted the other three highly rated Indiana players who said no to him.
I'd hope so, difficult to make Final Fours without the 5 star athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT