ADVERTISEMENT

why the hell didn't we hire Matta and make Woodson his Hoosier liaison.

I actually think (hope) this will be tje case here very soon. Seems like he has got some of his swag back and is still fairly young. Should have been IU's coach going into the 2005-2006 season.
The timing just wasn’t quite right-the chance was a year earlier -2004 when he left X for OSU. The problem for us was Davis was still somewhat popular at that time- just 2 years after the Final Four run. In hindsight though, it would have been worth sending Mike on his way if we could have landed Matta.

Why would Dolson want a guy with over 450 wins at a 73% clip? 2 final fours, a few final 8’s and 16’s.. No, let’s go with the guy with a losing NBA record with zero playoff success.

well, a lot of us have wanted Matta for years...and, if you recall, Matta was yet healed from some serious health issues, namely his back and all the things a really bad back causes. him taking the IU gig sorta seemed like his re-entry into the sport. timing was bad, in other words. I don't think he was at a point physically where he could walk the bench when MW was hired. a year later, he was better.

IU just hasn't had any luck in coach searches since RMK. things seem to always derail.

but i gotta think Dolson and Matta at least spoke about the HC job before that MW/Matta/Fife announcement was made.

Matta is 100x better than Woodson. And the worst part is everyone knew it.

Too bad Thad wasn’t long time buddies with Quinn. That appears to be Dolson’s key criteria.
He had cancer, otherwise prob would have been our coach.

Why would Dolson want a guy with over 450 wins at a 73% clip? 2 final fours, a few final 8’s and 16’s.. No, let’s go with the guy with a losing NBA record with zero playoff success.
He did, and if it wasnt for IUs luck, he would be our coach right now.

You should have seen Thad in the Bahamas, I have no idea how bad the chemo/cancer treatment was, but he looked on deaths door 2 years ago. Was in no way shape or form able to coach then. Glad he has beat it and looking better, but at IUs expense like always.

well, a lot of us have wanted Matta for years...and, if you recall, Matta was yet healed from some serious health issues, namely his back and all the things a really bad back causes. him taking the IU gig sorta seemed like his re-entry into the sport. timing was bad, in other words. I don't think he was at a point physically where he could walk the bench when MW was hired. a year later, he was better.

IU just hasn't had any luck in coach searches since RMK. things seem to always derail.

but i gotta think Dolson and Matta at least spoke about the HC job before that MW/Matta/Fife announcement was made.
you ever seen Woodson walk.

You should have seen Thad in the Bahamas, I have no idea how bad the chemo/cancer treatment was, but he looked on deaths door 2 years ago. Was in no way shape or form able to coach then. Glad he has beat it and looking better, but at IUs expense like always.
I’m pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever heard anything about cancer. Is that confirmed?

Reactions: Bill4411
The timing just wasn’t quite right-the chance was a year earlier -2004 when he left X for OSU. The problem for us was Davis was still somewhat popular at that time- just 2 years after the Final Four run. In hindsight though, it would have been worth sending Mike on his way if we could have landed Matta.
Yea. We always whiff on making the ruthless move. Timing is rarely perfect but we don’t make it work.

no, not confirmed, I’m speculating.

Are you insane?
It’s a simple question. I’d never heard that. Can’t find anything online about it.

I never understand your penchant for name-calling and belittling. Mods should be above that. Hell, we all should be. Civility is not that hard.

Reactions: ulrey
It’s a simple question. I’d never heard that. Can’t find anything online about it.

I never understand your penchant for name-calling and belittling. Mods should be above that. Hell, we all should be. Civility is not that hard.
If I post something I’m not speculating. I actually talk to people in this program. It’s insulting to ask if it’s confirmed, especially from you. You deserve every insult hurled your way.

Good info. Most of us had no idea. I thought his back was the only problem.

It’s a sunny Saturday game day morning. Try to enjoy yourself today. Life is too short.
Trust me, you don’t affect my day. More like a bird shitting on my car. Annoying, but I’ll clean it off and never think about it again.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
If I post something I’m not speculating. I actually talk to people in this program. It’s insulting to ask if it’s confirmed, especially from you. You deserve every insult hurled your way.

Man, you’re soft.

“I talk to people in the program” … lol. Nothing screams major inferiority complex and huge loser like someone who gets their panties in a wad when their ego isn’t stroked.

I don't think he was at a point physically where he could walk the bench
IU still should have hired Matta and wheeled him to the sidelines until he could walk comfortably again. Better option that experimenting with the hire.

Considering Dolson hired someone no other college program desired, either he thinks he's a forward-thinking genius ... or he's a clueless suit.

IU still should have hired Matta and wheeled him to the sidelines until he could walk comfortably again. Better option that experimenting with the hire.

Considering Dolson hired someone no other college program desired, either he thinks he's a forward-thinking genius ... or he's a clueless suit.
IU should have done the following to maintain their top 10 school status.
2000-2001 Rich Majerus (health started to come on causing..)
2005-2017 *Thad Matta
2017-present Bruce baby!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Man, you’re soft.

“I talk to people in the program” … lol. Nothing screams major inferiority complex and huge loser like someone who gets their panties in a wad when their ego isn’t stroked.
That poster is the ultimate troll. If you or anyone else asked, it would be one thing. He has the Iq of a gerbil, and likes to troll me.

I could care less if you think I’m a loser, I like a handful of posters here, all I care about. I live in the real world not the internet. Sorry.

Reactions: stollcpa
2005-2017 *Thad Matta
2017-present Bruce baby!
Although Crean and Archie didn't work out, they were reasonable hires at the time. There's no excuse, however, for Woodson. When a candidate's best attribute is "played for Knight at IU 40 years ago," that's a major red f***ing flag.

Although Crean and Archie didn't work out, they were reasonable hires at the time. There's no excuse, however, for Woodson. When a candidate's best attribute is "played for Knight at IU 40 years ago," that's a major red f***ing flag.
Ya forget coaching the hawks and Knicks. Lol.

Is the a look at me Louie statement? Or just ignorant?

Oh, I know. If you're not yapping about how "in" you are with the IU program, you're telling us how much money you bet/won. That might all be true, but it's curious that you feel the need to announce it so often.

I hope you find the validation you're looking for.

I will when you tell me I’m cool on the internet. It is all I want Gtom

I actually like Woodson myself and think our problem is more than we just don't get the caliber of players we used to and other teams do. Everybody states after every crappy season we need a new coach, but it never seems to change IMO.

2005-2017 *Thad Matta
2017-present Bruce baby!
Ha, Rick Majerus is one I haven’t heard. I don’t disagree. For this period I would put Pitino, he wanted the job and we would have got some natties.

Bruce would have been awesome here. I don’t know if our wimpy admin could handle him though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT