ADVERTISEMENT

Who's to blame?

I find it interesting that quote is the "one" that sticks out to you, I guess everyone interprets things their own way. The thing about that quote is it has no reflection on CTA , except to say he is a guy who can succeed here. I think Indiana has been and always will be viewed as a basketball first state/school, but that doesn't mean with the correct leadership and approach that we shouldn't be successful at both ala UW or MSU.
Personally, I focused more on the positive reviews on DeBord and Allen as coaches, and for those who do not want to credit CTA with defensive improvement those comments directly dispel those thoughts.

I don’t know you at all Johnsy but it may simply be that we are two IU fans in different years of our “fandoms” as to why that sticks out to me. I have moved to a point of “what is wrong or what makes us different” at IU for a coach to not have success. I have become numb to listening to the proverbial barking dog of the football program admin explaining why one year is going to finally be different. So when I see a quote like that it stands out to ask why someone from the outside thinks it’s different here.

I don’t know you at all Johnsy but it may simply be that we are two IU fans in different years of our “fandoms” as to why that sticks out to me. I have moved to a point of “what is wrong or what makes us different” at IU for a coach to not have success. I have become numb to listening to the proverbial barking dog of the football program admin explaining why one year is going to finally be different. So when I see a quote like that it stands out to ask why someone from the outside thinks it’s different here.
Well, I’ve been coming to games since the 60’s, my dad brought me as a child and doomed me to IU football. So I think I “get” IU football pretty well, my dad helped with recruiting in the Pont years and some in the Corso years, so the mentality about IU football is well known. Again , I think, that it has been a clear Bball first mentality, I do think FG understands you need to have a solid football program to be competitive financially in everything else. I also know FG was an IU football fan , like myself (in the same era) and wants good football at IU. I’ll let all the “experts” debate whether or not he has the right ideas on how to get us there.

Johnny Pabst

Did anyone realize we had a kid on the roster (QB) named Johnny Pabst.

Thats just bada$$

Johnny F*cking Pabst!

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Well, I’ve been coming to games since the 60’s, my dad brought me as a child and doomed me to IU football. So I think I “get” IU football pretty well, my dad helped with recruiting in the Pont years and some in the Corso years, so the mentality about IU football is well known. Again , I think, that it has been a clear Bball first mentality, I do think FG understands you need to have a solid football program to be competitive financially in everything else. I also know FG was an IU football fan , like myself (in the same era) and wants good football at IU. I’ll let all the “experts” debate whether or not he has the right ideas on how to get us there.

My gut is that FG understands the necessity of a strong football program, and I do think the program - from facilities to gameday - is significantly stronger as a result of FG. And, I give him credit for going after and getting a high profile coordinator in CKW. Wilson's teams had some bright spots (and some terrible bits), and two consecutive bowl games was certainly an improvement. I think more time was needed to really evaluate CKW's potential at Indiana, but I won't pretend to know enough information to consider whether or not his dismissal/resignation was warranted.

I'm wait and see on Allen. Certainly not a splash hire, but maybe he's the right one anyway - time will tell. It is telling that after a strong start to the season, one bad loss to a top 5 team has sent some of our fans into a full-fledged panic. Says a lot about why it might be hard to lift our program and how frustrating it must be for any coach.

That said, I really think that to turn Indiana football around, you need a whole bunch of luck and/or you need a home run, high profile, expensive hire. To date, Fred has not been willing to spend on football coaches in the way that successful football schools do. That said, I understand that every school hiring wants those coaches, and I'm skeptical of Indiana's ability to lure the top available coaches even with a big financial incentive.

In addition to luck and getting a big hire, stability seems necessary. Indiana football isn't righted in 3-5 years. It's a long haul, and neither our fans nor admin seem willing to wait.

Lagow is night and day different now than when Wilson was here. That's the reality whether you like Wilson or not. You really can't even admit that?

Night and day?
Bullocks. The same issues he had before are present. A coach doesn't control that. He still cannot run. He throws off his back foot when panicked. He sails balls over WRs heads. He still cannot go through progressions and throws into bad situations when other WRs are wide open. Is this a different Lagow you refer to?

Make no mistake, I am happy we have Glass at the school. Would I change U of L’s problems for ours? No way. I think Glass has done what he can when he can. I like that he speaks to other Football professionals to get ideas or bounce ideas off them. Can we better? Everyone can improve. Some more than others. There is no doubt that the past 6 years have been been a positive step forward for IUFB and Glass/Wilson and now Allen are a part of the reason why....

Night and day?
Bullocks. The same issues he had before are present. A coach doesn't control that. He still cannot run. He throws off his back foot when panicked. He sails balls over WRs heads. He still cannot go through progressions and throws into bad situations when other WRs are wide open. Is this a different Lagow you refer to?
Bullocks? lol

Lagow is night and day different now than when Wilson was here. That's the reality whether you like Wilson or not. You really can't even admit that?

RL is not night and day different. He hasn't improved a bit. He still is immobile and tracks one receiver. Two Payton Manning camps and two sets of college coaches have failed to teach him to check down. The Oline is a problem, but the core issues are more fundamental.

This is exactly what I posted all summer, if he doesn't improve...you go with the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT