ADVERTISEMENT

Who's to blame?

Well said...

I think it was the way we lost that has everyone all bent. I was hoping for a good game but it was hell to watch at the beginning.

1st they obviously saw what I was worried about after last week. Morgan can be careless with the ball aka almost 2 T.O. last week against Southern on the goal line. He's a freshman so his first carry they went straight after the ball and caused a T.O.

2. All the underneath throws on 3rd down from the QB's just looked like awful play calling but it was obvious they were looking for more it was just covered. QB play right now SUCKS. I can't wait for Tronti! When you have receivers like we have you have to expect that they are going to make plays and take some shots.

3. The OL is getting better. We had plenty of time to throw and had 177 on the ground which is very respectable.

4. If you look at the box score out gained us by a measly 18 yards.

It wasn't psu beating us we beat ourselves and that's a tough hump to get over. They obviously have things to work on so hopefully they get it worked out. We also bottled up Barkley to just 56 yards rushing who woulda thought that before the game.

One thing that I notice though is the zone blocking scheme we used to run. We don't run it anymore. The past few years we have lived by the zone block with cut back runners which have made the RB's look awesome. We are running more straight ahead now which doesn't look as good but we are starting to mount a rushing attack.

QB play....

Game #1 - Pretty Good
Game #2 - Good
Game #3 - Good
Game #4 - Not Good

How do we get "sucks" out of that equation?

If it continues against teams that don't have one of the top defenses in the country, I might worry.

Frankly, we aren't as good on the offensive side of the ball this year. Our running game has taken a step backwards. Coming out and not being ready to play took away any chance of a competitive game. That start was unacceptable and somehow followed by one of our better quarters.

We were atrocious in the red zone last year. That has gotten better it seems.

That's BS.... Lynch best years was with Heps team. Each team got progressively worst. CKW was left a pile of excrement with no relationships in recruiting built. I was "that close" to dropping my tickets if the gum thrower remained. IU got 5 more years out of me before I decided to turn them in. To compare Lynch to CakW is rediculous

Both were tremendously flawed coaches. Amazing and very telling that as much as Wilson supposedly improved recruiting, he still couldn't beat anyone worth a shit.

QB play....

Game #1 - Pretty Good
Game #2 - Good
Game #3 - Good
Game #4 - Not Good

How do we get "sucks" out of that equation?

If it continues against teams that don't have one of the top defenses in the country, I might worry.
I said sucks right now...Anyways let me ask you this? How would you rate our receivers? I would put the group pretty high up relating to any team we play. That said take shots and quit throwing underneath on 3rd down. Why do we always throw to the checkdown and not past the marker. Its just my opinion and I'm not happy with the QB play. We had plenty of opportunities to seize the moment at 28-14 but the offense plain stalled!!! You'll see next year. Tronti will play and things will be different. I just hope we can land a capable backup. jmho

I said sucks right now...Anyways let me ask you this? How would you rate our receivers? I would put the group pretty high up relating to any team we play. That said take shots and quit throwing underneath on 3rd down. Why do we always throw to the checkdown and not past the marker. Its just my opinion and I'm not happy with the QB play. We had plenty of opportunities to seize the moment at 28-14 but the offense plain stalled!!! You'll see next year. Tronti will play and things will be different. I just hope we can land a capable backup. jmho
Down and distance is the easy answer. The lack of a consistent running outs IU in 2nd and 3rd and long too often, requiring deeper drips to enable routes to develop. The O line struggles in protection, so the ball has to come out quicker or sacks occur. There’s a mistaken belief that Lagow didn’t check down enough when, in reality, he’s never had time to check down. In other words, going underneath is often the only real option he’s had. Look at the tape for confirmation.

Why do we always throw to the check down? Because the downfield receiver is covered?

Furthermore, I do remember throwing downfield a couple of times, and we just didn't connect.

Why do we always throw to the check down? Because the downfield receiver is covered?

Furthermore, I do remember throwing downfield a couple of times, and we just didn't connect.
Didn't connect as in the 3rd down play where we threw it right to the psu guy (pick). I've rewatched and the turnovers surely did not help things and all when we had momentum. Our QB's had time too, I just feel like they did not make plays and when you rewatch the tape The downfield receivers are out of the camera view so I can't tell.

Well said...

I think it was the way we lost that has everyone all bent. I was hoping for a good game but it was hell to watch at the beginning.

1st they obviously saw what I was worried about after last week. Morgan can be careless with the ball aka almost 2 T.O. last week against Southern on the goal line. He's a freshman so his first carry they went straight after the ball and caused a T.O.

2. All the underneath throws on 3rd down from the QB's just looked like awful play calling but it was obvious they were looking for more it was just covered. QB play right now SUCKS. I can't wait for Tronti! When you have receivers like we have you have to expect that they are going to make plays and take some shots.

3. The OL is getting better. We had plenty of time to throw and had 177 on the ground which is very respectable.

4. If you look at the box score out gained us by a measly 18 yards.

It wasn't psu beating us we beat ourselves and that's a tough hump to get over. They obviously have things to work on so hopefully they get it worked out. We also bottled up Barkley to just 56 yards rushing who woulda thought that before the game.

One thing that I notice though is the zone blocking scheme we used to run. We don't run it anymore. The past few years we have lived by the zone block with cut back runners which have made the RB's look awesome. We are running more straight ahead now which doesn't look as good but we are starting to mount a rushing attack.

Stats are misleading..PSU skipped 2 possessions to a KR TD and PUNT COVER TD.. yet they still had minutes in time of possession (33-26).. Hoosier D played well as they were well rested.. in the 3rd and 4th Q PSU simply stopped running into stacked line and ate your secondary alive. Trace threw for 270+ in the second half.. it was so bad that they gave our 3rd best WR BIG POW.

Here was the game. PSU Offense didnt' see the field, by the 2nd Q PSU Offense wasn't even warmed up. After goofing off in the early 3rd they scrapped the power zone and decimated the Hoosier D.

But it wasn't the D that let you down.. your O was horrid.. when you guys kept Laglow on the bench the game was over. You could have left Ramsey out there 3 more quarters and we wouldn't have crossed 28 points. PSU simply spied Ramsey for runs and it was all over--this is bad, put him against UM or OSU and they will have the blueprint to goose-egg you. Worse yet, Ramsey takes way too many shots.. he will be knocked out of the game vs UM, and they Laglow, without about 0 confidence will be thrown to the wolves.

Your offense under Wilson was spectacular. You can play all the D you won't but the better BIG teams will run right by your back 7 even if they are sound. You guys keep talking about the D last year, it was your O... It was your O that had Herby singing your praises in game 1. KW gave you a schematic advantage, without it you probably have less talent than Minnesota. Laglow is the 2nd best throwing QB in the BIG, Ramsey is Mitch Leidner with a weaker arm. It's up to a coach to help his best players shine, your coach is benching the one true chance you've got.

I've seen 2 coaching staffs literally quit vs PSU this year.. Pitt and your's, both shied away from throwing the ball to keep PSU from scoring 50. The entire 3rd quarter looked like the 2 O vs 1 D in preseason practice. Allen needs to realize that he is not a DC, but coach of the whole team.. including Special Teams which are a disaster.

Stats are misleading..PSU skipped 2 possessions to a KR TD and PUNT COVER TD.. yet they still had minutes in time of possession (33-26).. Hoosier D played well as they were well rested.. in the 3rd and 4th Q PSU simply stopped running into stacked line and ate your secondary alive. Trace threw for 270+ in the second half.. it was so bad that they gave our 3rd best WR BIG POW.

Here was the game. PSU Offense didnt' see the field, by the 2nd Q PSU Offense wasn't even warmed up. After goofing off in the early 3rd they scrapped the power zone and decimated the Hoosier D.

But it wasn't the D that let you down.. your O was horrid.. when you guys kept Laglow on the bench the game was over. You could have left Ramsey out there 3 more quarters and we wouldn't have crossed 28 points. PSU simply spied Ramsey for runs and it was all over--this is bad, put him against UM or OSU and they will have the blueprint to goose-egg you. Worse yet, Ramsey takes way too many shots.. he will be knocked out of the game vs UM, and they Laglow, without about 0 confidence will be thrown to the wolves.

Your offense under Wilson was spectacular. You can play all the D you won't but the better BIG teams will run right by your back 7 even if they are sound. You guys keep talking about the D last year, it was your O... It was your O that had Herby singing your praises in game 1. KW gave you a schematic advantage, without it you probably have less talent than Minnesota. Laglow is the 2nd best throwing QB in the BIG, Ramsey is Mitch Leidner with a weaker arm. It's up to a coach to help his best players shine, your coach is benching the one true chance you've got.

I've seen 2 coaching staffs literally quit vs PSU this year.. Pitt and your's, both shied away from throwing the ball to keep PSU from scoring 50. The entire 3rd quarter looked like the 2 O vs 1 D in preseason practice. Allen needs to realize that he is not a DC, but coach of the whole team.. including Special Teams which are a disaster.
What are you doing here? The game was already three days ago, and this is essentially the same sh*t you spewed in an "in your face" thread you started on Sunday.

You should focus on your own team, because it's clear you don't know much about ours. First, it's "Lagow," not "Laglow." Second, your evaluation of Ramsey based on the one game in which you've seen him play is incomplete and off the mark. We beat Virginia only because the coaching staff pulled Lagow and played Ramsey. Third, our offense was anything but "spectacular" last year. It was spectacular in 2013 and 2015 but not in 2016. Fourth, our spectacular offenses were unable to produce a single winning season. Fifth, special teams is much more a point of emphasis for Allen than it ever was for Wilson. Special teams were terrible on Saturday, but solid in our first three games.

I think I just heard the PSU board calling for you. They're looking for your keen insight regarding your next opponent, Northwestern.

What are you doing here? The game was already three days ago, and this is essentially the same sh*t you spewed in an "in your face" thread you started on Sunday.

You should focus on your own team, because it's clear you don't know much about ours. First, it's "Lagow," not "Laglow." Second, your evaluation of Ramsey based on the one game in which you've seen him play is incomplete and off the mark. We beat Virginia only because the coaching staff pulled Lagow and played Ramsey. Third, our offense was anything but "spectacular" last year. It was spectacular in 2013 and 2015 but not in 2016. Fourth, our spectacular offenses were unable to produce a single winning season. Fifth, special teams is much more a point of emphasis for Allen than it ever was for Wilson. Special teams were terrible on Saturday, but solid in our first three games.

I think I just heard the PSU board calling for you. They're looking for your keen insight regarding your next opponent, Northwestern.

the drop off from this year vs last year was drastic.. you guys had a solid OL last year.

your offense vs PSU:
2017 - 14 points (1 drive started at midfield)
2016 - 31 points
2015 - 7 points
2014 - 7 points
2013 - 44 points

the drop off from this year vs last year was drastic.. you guys had a solid OL last year.

your offense vs PSU:
2017 - 14 points (1 drive started at midfield)
2016 - 31 points
2015 - 7 points
2014 - 7 points
2013 - 44 points
What you actually know about football wouldn't fill a tea cup.

Somewhere a woman's smelly vagina needs a good cleansing. You need to run along and find her - it's what you were made to do. Go troll elsewhere.

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
What you actually know about football wouldn't fill a tea cup.

Somewhere a woman's smelly vagina needs a good cleansing. You need to run along and find her - it's what you were made to do. Go troll elsewhere.
Dude, too much imagery.

Dude, too much imagery.
Probably true and my apologies. A message board is a place for opinions regardless of how off-base they might be. I don't usually respond in such a direct personal way. However, the one thing I despise the most is some troll who wants to come back AFTER his team has beaten us to enlighten us mortal fools on all the things we should be changing about our program. As if he knows his ass from third base about our players or coaches.

Probably true and my apologies. A message board is a place for opinions regardless of how off-base they might be. I don't usually respond in such a direct personal way. However, the one thing I despise the most is some troll who wants to come back AFTER his team has beaten us to enlighten us mortal fools on all the things we should be changing about our program. As if he knows his ass from third base about our players or coaches.
He's just taking his last shots before they lose to Michigan and OSU.

Completely agree.

What the hell games have you been watching? Lagow has been inaccurate and turnover prone since his arrival. Wilson, offensive genius and ace recruiter that he was, somehow forgot to address the QB position sufficiently in year 6 of his regime. Now Lagow is the one true chance IU has of shining, according to you? Laughably ignorant statement. If IU even got a remotely mediocre performance from the bright shining star that is Lagow, they beat Utah handily in the Foster Farms Bowl last year.

Go pound sand, you bafoon.

What the hell games have you been watching? Lagow has been inaccurate and turnover prone since his arrival. Wilson, offensive genius and ace recruiter that he was, somehow forgot to address the QB position sufficiently in year 6 of his regime. Now Lagow is the one true chance IU has of shining, according to you? Laughably ignorant statement. If IU even got a remotely mediocre performance from the bright shining star that is Lagow, they beat Utah handily in the Foster Farms Bowl last year.

Go pound sand, you bafoon.
Lagow is night and day different now than when Wilson was here. That's the reality whether you like Wilson or not. You really can't even admit that?

Lagow is night and day different now than when Wilson was here. That's the reality whether you like Wilson or not. You really can't even admit that?

19 tds 17 ints 57.8 comp % 128.8 rating last year
4 tds 3 ints 56.3 comp % 117.2 rating this year

So, pretty much the same. Lagow is what he is. As the above stats demonstrate, he's not accurate, and he turns the ball over quite frequently regardless of who's coaching him.....just like I said. Not a strong qb at all, and, while he's definitely not terrible, certainly not what anyone would expect the offensive mastermind that is Kevin Wilson to put out there in years 6 and 7 of his regime at qb.

So, pretty much the same. Lagow is what he is. As the above stats demonstrate, he's not accurate, and he turns the ball over quite frequently regardless of who's coaching him.....just like I said. Not a strong qb at all, and, while he's definitely not terrible, certainly not what anyone would expect the offensive mastermind that is Kevin Wilson to put out there in years 6 and 7 of his regime at qb.
The offensive line issues have quite a bit to do with those numbers, as I'm sure you know.

Richard Lagow through 4 games:
2016: 1,178 passing yards 9 TDs
2017: 661 passing yards 4 TDs

Richard Lagow through 4 games:
2016: 1,178 passing yards 9 TDs
2017: 661 passing yards 4 TDs
And one of those games we lost because RL threw 5 picks. How did that happen under KW's brilliant coaching ? Was Tom Allen coaching the quarterbacks in that game ?

Also, Lagow played a lot more snaps in those first four games. We had no other legitimate options. In addition, Lagow was benched after his poor start at Va. this year. I think the guy who came in did a pretty fair job leading us to the win. In the Ga. Southern game he was dinged by a late hit and didn't return for precautionary reasons.

In Lagow's defense, this young offensive line does him no favors. His immobility is magnified by their struggles. I think the staff understands that we need a qb at this point who can escape a rush and extend plays. It may have as much to do with that as a lack of confidence in RL. Right now, Lagow's limitations make him a suboptimal fit for our team. Playing behind a better offensive line I think he could be very good. I feel for him, but his skill set is not the best choice for this IU team.

You rail on others who use comparisons you believe to be apples and oranges, but you post statistics to back up your arguments that you have to know aren't legitimate for that purpose. Again, you stake out a position of opinion, and cherry-pick statistics to defend your point. At least you are consistent. You never let logic or objectivity get in the way of your bias.

BTW, I wish those four teams from 2016 were our first four opponents this year. I'm betting we would be an easy 4-0 at this point.

Last edited:
And one of those games we lost because RL threw 5 picks. How did that happen under KW's brilliant coaching ? Was Tom Allen coaching the quarterbacks in that game ?

Also, Lagow played a lot more snaps in those first four games. We had no other legitimate options. In addition, Lagow was benched after his poor start at Va. this year. I think the guy who came in did a pretty fair job leading us to the win. In the Ga. Southern game he was dinged by a late hit and didn't return for precautionary reasons.

In Lagow's defense, this young offensive line does him no favors. His immobility is magnified by their struggles. I think the staff understands that we need a qb at this point who can escape a rush and extend plays. It may have as much to do with that as a lack of confidence in RL. Right now, Lagow's limitations make him a suboptimal fit for our team. Playing behind a better offensive line I think he could be very good. I feel for him, but his skill set is not the best choice for this IU team.

You rail on others who use comparisons you believe to be apples and oranges, but you post statistics to back up your arguments that you have to know aren't legitimate for that purpose. Again, you stake out a position of opinion, and cherry-pick statistics to defend your point. At least you are consistent. You never let logic or objectivity get in the way of your bias.

BTW, I wish those four teams from 2016 were our first four opponents this year. I'm betting we would be an easy 4-0 at this point.
Great post. We'd be looking at a 1-3 record right now if Ramsey hadn't entered the game in relief against Virginia. I'm looking forward to seeing what the kid can do going forward.

Reactions: 76-1

It's very telling how you won't give Wilson one ounce of credit for what he did for our offense. I guess he just fools programs like Oklahoma and OSU. I think it's very fair to question his game management as a HC, as I have in the past, but his offensive record speaks for itself. Denying that removes any credibility your posts have IMO.

It's very telling how you won't give Wilson one ounce of credit for what he did for our offense. I guess he just fools programs like Oklahoma and OSU. I think it's very fair to question his game management as a HC, as I have in the past, but his offensive record speaks for itself. Denying that removes any credibility your posts have IMO.
I'm not denying credit to Wilson at all. I'm just not buying that we have some major dropoff in our offensive play because he is no longer the coach. I'm disputing your assertion that Lagow's problems this season are caused by a new staff. I'm challenging your notion that this team will be worse with Ramsey at qb than Lagow.

There is no question that Kevin Wilson improved our football team and program. He upgraded recruiting and raised player expectations. He is an outstanding offensive football mind. I give him all the credit in the world for that. But it isn't like he had us at an elite level or that we were beating the best teams on our schedule. And he certainly mismanaged us into losing some games we should have won.

What I'm not buying into is your theory that he was ousted for some sinister or illegitimate reason. I don't think there was some hidden agenda or ulterior motive for Fred Glass to fire him without just cause. And I don't believe our program is moving backward (or failing to move forward) with Tom Allen. I honestly think he has a greater upside and a higher ceiling as a head coach than Kevin Wilson.

There has in no way been enough time to determine whether Allen is going to be successful or not. At this point I for sure don't think Allen's Hoosiers have failed to win any games they should have won, or lost any that they should not have lost. You are the guy who is already conducting an inquisition and I think your viewpoint lacks objectivity. I don't understand your loathing of the Athletic Director and I think that hatred clouds your judgment of the current football situation.

The only one living in an alternate universe is you, if you don't think our D was greatly improved last year, you either never watched a game or forgot about Wilson's D's that couldn't force 1 punt from the likes of Navy.
2015 we gave up 498.8 yards/game and an average of 37.6 points/game, in 2016 we gave up 363 yards/game and an average of 27.2 points/game. But yea, I'm living in an alternate universe, lol.
Why is it Wilson's D when they're doing poorly but Allen's D when they do well?

Well I guess you could argue it was nobody's D prior to Allen's arrival because you can't own what you don't have. And we didn't have one until 2016.

One important factor is that we should consider with Lagow last year

We only won 1 game last year when Lagow threw the ball more than 27 times or had more than 275 yards, and that was against Rutgers.

In that regard, Lagow throwing the ball all over the field was essentially just a last resort, and in several cases his INTs in those games were the biggest factor in the loss

For many here, the 9th best defense in the B1G is a sterling achievement. Hard to have a reasonable discussion when that’s the foundation of their views.

Reactions: fpeaugh
For many here, the 9th best defense in the B1G is a sterling achievement. Hard to have a reasonable discussion when that’s the foundation of their views.

It should be noted that only 30 yards separated #4 and #9. There were 3 really good defenses last year, 6 or so middle of the pack without much separation, and the rest were bad (which is the category we have been in for over the last 2 decades)

Also, efficiency stats, which take into account strength of opponents offense and pace of the game had us at #6.

Our defense was solidly in the middle of the pack, though perhaps on the lower end of that depending on how you look at that. And for a single season turn around, that was damn impressive.

Well, mostly because Allen wasn't here in 2015, you can call it whatever you want, but Allen improved the defense which is confirmed by all objective observers. Is it championship level, no, but until he has a chance to recruit to his style, it is pretty unfair to expect a top Big Ten defense.
All the ex-Wilson haters who are now pretending he was our best coach ever ,should then explain why the offensive genius had the 9th ranked scoring and overall offense in his first year. Point being it takes time, being up in arms after 4 games (and 2 top 5 teams at the time we played them) is laughable and removes any possible credibility .

I'm not denying credit to Wilson at all. I'm just not buying that we have some major dropoff in our offensive play because he is no longer the coach. I'm disputing your assertion that Lagow's problems this season are caused by a new staff. I'm challenging your notion that this team will be worse with Ramsey at qb than Lagow.

There is no question that Kevin Wilson improved our football team and program. He upgraded recruiting and raised player expectations. He is an outstanding offensive football mind. I give him all the credit in the world for that. But it isn't like he had us at an elite level or that we were beating the best teams on our schedule. And he certainly mismanaged us into losing some games we should have won.

What I'm not buying into is your theory that he was ousted for some sinister or illegitimate reason. I don't think there was some hidden agenda or ulterior motive for Fred Glass to fire him without just cause. And I don't believe our program is moving backward (or failing to move forward) with Tom Allen. I honestly think he has a greater upside and a higher ceiling as a head coach than Kevin Wilson.

There has in no way been enough time to determine whether Allen is going to be successful or not. At this point I for sure don't think Allen's Hoosiers have failed to win any games they should have won, or lost any that they should not have lost. You are the guy who is already conducting an inquisition and I think your viewpoint lacks objectivity. I don't understand your loathing of the Athletic Director and I think that hatred clouds your judgment of the current football situation.
Spot on !

For what it's worth, there are nine seniors starting on defense right now. Only one senior starting on offense.

It should be noted that only 30 yards separated #4 and #9. There were 3 really good defenses last year, 6 or so middle of the pack without much separation, and the rest were bad (which is the category we have been in for over the last 2 decades)

Also, efficiency stats, which take into account strength of opponents offense and pace of the game had us at #6.

Our defense was solidly in the middle of the pack, though perhaps on the lower end of that depending on how you look at that. And for a single season turn around, that was damn impressive.
This is a good post and it’s hard to disagree with your thoughts. A middle of the pack unit, though not one that would continue to trend up, as we are seeing.

Here's what's impressive:
2015 Scoring Defense: 116th nationally
2015 Total Defense: 120th nationally
2016 Scoring Defense: 57th nationally
2016 Total Defense: 45th nationally.

2015 yards allowed per game: 509
2016 yards allowed per game: 380

That last year-over-year comparison represents the greatest improvement in that category of any team in the country.

This was a stunning one year turnaround that you don't see very often. It was one of the big stories in college football last year, and the reason Allen was nominated for the Broyles Award.

For the life of me I can't understand why people think Tom Allen revolutionized what we knew about defense last year. In 2015 we were starting a bunch of Freshmen and Sophomores. Last year mainly upperclassmen. This is what happens when you're building a program and increasing the talent level drastically.

Allen deserves credit for doing a good job as DC last year, but to think he improved the defense all by himself is simply absurd. The talent level is leaps and bounds above where it was 2-3 years ago...thanks to KW and Co

For the life of me I can't understand why people think Tom Allen revolutionized what we knew about defense last year. In 2015 we were starting a bunch of Freshmen and Sophomores. Last year mainly upperclassmen. This is what happens when you're building a program and increasing the talent level drastically.

Allen deserves credit for doing a good job as DC last year, but to think he improved the defense all by himself is simply absurd. The talent level is leaps and bounds above where it was 2-3 years ago...thanks to KW and Co
Allen knew how to maximize the guys that were available and he installed an assignment-based scheme. I give him a lot of credit for implementing all that within a year. In no way does that qualify him as a guy that can take over program rebuild. He is probably realizing the magnitude of what he has undertaken after Penn State. Allen is a hard working guy, and he has been successful everywhere he has been. Maybe he can figure it out.

Allen knew how to maximize the guys that were available and he installed an assignment-based scheme. I give him a lot of credit for implementing all that within a year. In no way does that qualify him as a guy that can take over program rebuild. He is probably realizing the magnitude of what he has undertaken after Penn State. Allen is a hard working guy, and he has been successful everywhere he has been. Maybe he can figure it out.
Comments from anonymous Big Ten coaches about conference foes as reported by Athlon.
"Tom Allen can do what Indiana needs to win because he is more like Bill Mallory than any other coach that has been there since. He's worked in the state before, and he gets it- because you really have to 'get' Indiana to be successful. He's got the character Wilson didn't have to manage the Indiana people and get players to trust you."
"Wilson sold his offense to try and get better talent in there. Besides OSU, we didn't see an offense that had the kind of ceiling Indiana's did. Mike DeBord runs something that's as appealing as Wilson's offense when it comes to recruits. DeBord is so efficient as a coordinator. His offenses show so much confidence and great timing on film. It was a great hire for Allen."
Defensively, they're going to be even better (than 2016) Allen was a great coordinator before he got the head job. We looked a his defense at USF last offseason against particular passing attacks. Indiana was better coached on defense, finding fits, making tackles, than we'd seen in years. We saw them identify things we wanted to do pre-snap."

These quotes were made by other Big Ten coaches prior to this season, but I'm sure the "negative Nancy" , self -proclaimed experts here know better.

Comments from anonymous Big Ten coaches about conference foes as reported by Athlon.
"Tom Allen can do what Indiana needs to win because he is more like Bill Mallory than any other coach that has been there since. He's worked in the state before, and he gets it- because you really have to 'get' Indiana to be successful. He's got the character Wilson didn't have to manage the Indiana people and get players to trust you."
"Wilson sold his offense to try and get better talent in there. Besides OSU, we didn't see an offense that had the kind of ceiling Indiana's did. Mike DeBord runs something that's as appealing as Wilson's offense when it comes to recruits. DeBord is so efficient as a coordinator. His offenses show so much confidence and great timing on film. It was a great hire for Allen."
Defensively, they're going to be even better (than 2016) Allen was a great coordinator before he got the head job. We looked a his defense at USF last offseason against particular passing attacks. Indiana was better coached on defense, finding fits, making tackles, than we'd seen in years. We saw them identify things we wanted to do pre-snap."

These quotes were made by other Big Ten coaches prior to this season, but I'm sure the "negative Nancy" , self -proclaimed experts here know better.
I remember these quotes when they came out. What stuck out to me is the first quote, “He's worked in the state before, and he gets it- because you really have to 'get' Indiana to be successful. ” That to me should cause concern to Hoosier fans. What does that say about the University and the athletic program? To me the quote is not a positive when thinking about why it is so hard to be successful here.....it points to things being self inflicted again and I don’t like it....

Coach Mallory was a great guy and loves the program. He fought the admin openly about commitment to football. He had the most success at IU but he had an overall losing record. What does that say about our programs? I certainly hope Allen blazes a trail here at IU and he leaves with multiple bowl wins and a winning overall record meaning, the most successful coach IU has had since Ponte. He is in a position that the other coaches didn’t have when they came to IU and that is a program that was on the rise.

I remember these quotes when they came out. What stuck out to me is the first quote, “He's worked in the state before, and he gets it- because you really have to 'get' Indiana to be successful. ” That to me should cause concern to Hoosier fans. What does that say about the University and the athletic program? To me the quote is not a positive when thinking about why it is so hard to be successful here.....it points to things being self inflicted again and I don’t like it....

Coach Mallory was a great guy and loves the program. He fought the admin openly about commitment to football. He had the most success at IU but he had an overall losing record. What does that say about our programs? I certainly hope Allen blazes a trail here at IU and he leaves with multiple bowl wins and a winning overall record meaning, the most successful coach IU has had since Ponte. He is in a position that the other coaches didn’t have when they came to IU and that is a program that was on the rise.
I loved Mal, too, but Johnsy likely believes Bill's career Big Ten winning percentage of roughly 38% is a fantastic result, though Johnsy didn't actually see any of Mal's teams play.

I find it interesting that quote is the "one" that sticks out to you, I guess everyone interprets things their own way. The thing about that quote is it has no reflection on CTA , except to say he is a guy who can succeed here. I think Indiana has been and always will be viewed as a basketball first state/school, but that doesn't mean with the correct leadership and approach that we shouldn't be successful at both ala UW or MSU.
Personally, I focused more on the positive reviews on DeBord and Allen as coaches, and for those who do not want to credit CTA with defensive improvement those comments directly dispel those thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT