ADVERTISEMENT

Who's offense is better: MSU or Maryland?

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
If it's MSU, we win easily.

If it's MD, can we escape College Park on the right side of a shootout?

Reactions: vesuvius13
MD scored 142 points the first 2 weeks of the season (71 avg) and looked like someone to worry about, having beat #21 Syracuse handily.

In the 4 weeks since, they've scored a total of 38 points (9.5 avg), with one shutout (granted, that was again PSU).

Hopefully we don't make them look better than they really are again...

MD scored 142 points the first 2 weeks of the season (71 avg) and looked like someone to worry about, having beat #21 Syracuse handily.

In the 4 weeks since, they've scored a total of 38 points (9.5 avg), with one shutout (granted, that was again PSU).

Hopefully we don't make them look better than they really are again...
This is not true.

They've scored 79 points in the last 4 weeks, including 48 points vs Rutgers (against whom we only scored 35, fwiw). That's 19.5 ppg with the PSU drubbing.

We aren't PSU. And MSU's slow, plodding offense did score 34 against us. It's concerning

Another thing: MD can score on Special Teams. So, our ST needs to be solid.

Notwithstanding their clunker last weekend, Maryland is a dangerous offensive team.

Notwithstanding their clunker last weekend, Maryland is a dangerous offensive team.

McFarland right now is a game-day decision with a high-ankle sprain, but Leake may be just as good.

What is encouraging for us is that MD only had 2 returning OL starters coming into the season, and one is injured and out for the year.

I think we have to look at the defensive comparisons. I would say our offense will do much better against MD's defense than the MSU defense.

We win this Saturday if we make fewer mistakes than MD..

MSU.

For as much grief as they get, Lewerke is leading the B10 in passing yardage and MSU has the top receiver in both catches and yards plus a top 5 RB and another top 10 receiver in catches.

My guess is IU's defensive game plan may look similar to what they threw at MSU -- take away the run, force Pigrome to beat you with his arm. I don't think he can do it. Maryland's top receiver has 23 catches. For sake of comparison, Ty Fryfogle has 21. Maryland's next guy has 11 catches.

The #1 thing the IU defense has to do is prevent or limit big plays. Pigrome is dangerous as a runner and their top receiver has a strong yards-per-catch average.

I believe that MSU's a much better offense. But Maryland has some guys that can create problems for you. MSU can string to get her more sustained drives. They can control running or throwing it. Maryland is that team that score quickly with several big play guys. I would much rather try to defend the team that relies on big plays.

This is not true.

They've scored 79 points in the last 4 weeks, including 48 points vs Rutgers (against whom we only scored 35, fwiw). That's 19.5 ppg with the PSU drubbing.

We aren't PSU. And MSU's slow, plodding offense did score 34 against us. It's concerning

Another thing: MD can score on Special Teams. So, our ST needs to be solid.

Oops, my bad! I got the 48-7 score flip flopped and thought they were the 7, not the 48.

Reactions: IUCX9
This Maryland offense without their QB, RB, and a couple OL is a complete train wreck. Early in the year it would’ve been close. Now, I don’t think Maryland has an average MAC offense.

Reactions: td75
This Maryland offense without their QB, RB, and a couple OL is a complete train wreck. Early in the year it would’ve been close. Now, I don’t think Maryland has an average MAC offense.
According to Maryland , RT Minor and C Jordan intend on playing , and likely (but not sure) RB McFarland will also play.

Reactions: 76-1
According to Maryland , RT Minor and C Jordan intend on playing , and likely (but not sure) RB McFarland will also play.
Damn. I thought for sure McFarland was going to sit. He's a game breaker - a quicker faster, more explosive Markell Jones. Hopefully, he's still hobbled at 75% and below.

I also hope we get the Pigrome that played vs PU, and not the one we faced last year. 2018 Piggy went 10-13 and a TD in relief because McFarland went off for 210yds.

I'm not feeling too good anymore.

I don’t care who they play. They had a bye week . They’ll be ready. My question is will we? I’m. Breaking out the candy stripes for this one. Go Hoosiers!

They (MD) played p u last weekend...

You are probably thinking of Nebraska, who has a bye prior to playing us...

We better hope he’s not playing. That’s a game changer if he is.
Whether he plays or not Leake is really good too, the bigger thing for them is the OL guys playing, we’ll see if they are actually healthy or not .
If they are not really healthy and just trying to go, perhaps we can take advantage.

Whether he plays or not Leake is really good too, the bigger thing for them is the OL guys playing, we’ll see if they are actually healthy or not .
If they are not really healthy and just trying to go, perhaps we can take advantage.
What's scary is if they have Leake and McFarland on the field at the same time. With Pigrome running Read Option, with Jet Sweep, it's dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT