ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be CAM's first five star?

Maybe the question should be who will be the first recruit for CAM at IU- re-signing 3 of Crean's recruits was progress, but not the same as bringing in your own recruits at a place called IU. So far 5 spots and no bites and lots of targets going elsewhere and no Indiana HS players jumping on to help jumpstart a new IU coach. Not exactly a super start- even Butler and Ohio State (who got later starts with coaches) are being listed as high with many similar recruits for 2018.
Northwestern may be a stronger consistent program in Big 10 if IU doesn't start showing some recruiting power. Does CAM have the ability to recruit in the Big time? Jury is clearly out and so far no clear evidence of getting people to join his movement.
Great floor coaches don't win conferences and NCAA tournaments without great recruits--
articles re 2019 boards, but lots of spots and basketball before that board is pertinent.

Reactions: Bippy
Maybe the question should be who will be the first recruit for CAM at IU- re-signing 3 of Crean's recruits was progress, but not the same as bringing in your own recruits at a place called IU. So far 5 spots and no bites and lots of targets going elsewhere and no Indiana HS players jumping on to help jumpstart a new IU coach. Not exactly a super start- even Butler and Ohio State (who got later starts with coaches) are being listed as high with many similar recruits for 2018.
Northwestern may be a stronger consistent program in Big 10 if IU doesn't start showing some recruiting power. Does CAM have the ability to recruit in the Big time? Jury is clearly out and so far no clear evidence of getting people to join his movement.
Great floor coaches don't win conferences and NCAA tournaments without great recruits--
articles re 2019 boards, but lots of spots and basketball before that board is pertinent.

Well stated

Technically, didn't 2 of the 3 Freshmen decommit. Then technically recommit for Coach Archie Miller? CAM had to re-recruit them on how they would fit into his style of play and system. I am very excited for the future of IU Basketball
Technically two of the recruits asked to be let out of their letter but that was never granted. They reaffirmed their commitments before the release was ever given. Archie did have to convince them to stay however, and IU would have let them out if they were not convinced by AM so yeah, I give AM credit on that score.

You haven't been paying attention then. Plenty of posters are saying they'd rather have good 4 year players than one and done 5 stars. It's literally every single day.
Yes a lot of people don't want to have a roster full of one and done players and be like UK. I don't mind 1 one and done player per class but I don't want 4 one and done players in a class. I want us to build our roster like Villanova or UW have the last few years.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
You haven't been paying attention then. Plenty of posters are saying they'd rather have good 4 year players than one and done 5 stars. It's literally every single day.

Well, I said I'd rather have a bunch of 4 stars than one-and-dones. I also said I wouldn't turn them away.

Please show me where people are saying what you claimed "literally every day."

I don't want to be a Chicken Little, but I too think it's important for CAM to land a good commitment early. There's no doubt he's got the coaching pedigree and chops to coach at this level, but recruiting is the crucible that will determine if he succeeds or not. Recruiting elite talent at this level is the big challenge in hiring a mid-major guy. I remember when Dan Monson, who to me is the guy that really put Gonzaga on the map as a mid-major, went to MN and I thought he'd be great. He never could recruit at this level and wasn't there long. I think that's going to be the toughest hurdle and greatest unknown for Miller. Romeo Langford could seal his place in IU history and ignite CAM's IU tenure with a commitment! Hope we get him or a good 4 star so he doesn't have to sweat that out.

Last edited:
I don't want to be a Chicken Little, but I too think it's important for CAM to land a good commitment early. There's no doubt he's got the coaching pedigree and chops to coach at this level, but recruiting is the crucible that will determine if he succeeds or not. Recruiting elite talent at this level is big challenge in hiring a mid-major guy. I remember when Dan Monson, who to me is the guy that really put Gonzaga on the map as a mid-major, went to MN and I thought he'd be great. He never could recruit at this level and wasn't there long. I think that's going to be the toughest hurdle and greatest unknown for Miller. Romeo Langford could seal his place in IU history and ignite CAM's IU tenure with a commitment! Hope we get him or a good 4 star so he doesn't have to sweat that out.
The thing about Munson was that it is hard to recruit to Minnesota. I think sometimes the problem that mid major coaches has is that they jump at the first chance to coach at a power 5 conference team. They need to look at the program and see if they can actually win at that program before jumping to a power 5 conference.

It's been three months. He recruited for Arizona and Ohio State. You also just criticized him for apparently not being listed high with recruits as compared to Butler and OSU, which is, um, kind of silly. We are in the mix for plenty of players as well. Hell, if that's the benchmark, then Archie wins simply by being one of Romeo Langford's top schools.

I honestly wonder how some of you think recruiting works. It's not a two week process. And does it really need to be stated that we need good players to win? Who doesn't know that? It's been three months.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
I don't want to be a Chicken Little, but I too think it's important for CAM to land a good commitment early. There's no doubt he's got the coaching pedigree and chops to coach at this level, but recruiting is the crucible that will determine if he succeeds or not. Recruiting elite talent at this level is big challenge in hiring a mid-major guy. I remember when Dan Monson, who to me is the guy that really put Gonzaga on the map as a mid-major, went to MN and I thought he'd be great. He never could recruit at this level and wasn't there long. I think that's going to be the toughest hurdle and greatest unknown for Miller. Romeo Langford could seal his place in IU history and ignite CAM's IU tenure with a commitment! Hope we get him or a good 4 star so he doesn't have to sweat that out.
You know he recruited for Arizona and Ohio State, right?

Reactions: hoosierstateII

I agree and we also need a great class in 2018. We will be losing alot and the next year could be really rough so talent will be needed.

I do not want to be the most calm person posting, but it is WAY too early to worry about whether CAM will be able to recruit at IU. I want to see a competitive product on the floor THIS year. Show people how we will play offense and defense... the recruits will come if we win and CAM does things the right way.

You know he recruited for Arizona and Ohio State, right?

And you know Crean recruited for Marquette and MSU, right? It's not at all unusual, especially in this day and age, for incoming coaches to recognize the significance of an early commitment and put the hard sell on a kid to become their first commitment and put their own stamp on the program. Oftentimes they come in with a recruit or 2 in tow that they have a great relationship with, although in Archie's case I don't think he was actively looking for a job and probably didn't cultivate that. I won't feel confident Archie is "the guy" until he proves this and a good early commitment would go a long way towards that end. Not a necessity, but certainly a nicety.

And you know Crean recruited for Marquette and MSU, right? It's not at all unusual, especially in this day and age, for incoming coaches to recognize the significance of an early commitment and put the hard sell on a kid to become their first commitment and put their own stamp on the program. Oftentimes they come in with a recruit or 2 in tow that they have a great relationship with, although in Archie's case I don't think he was actively looking for a job and probably didn't cultivate that. I won't feel confident Archie is "the guy" until he proves this and a good early commitment would go a long way towards that end. Not a necessity, but certainly a nicety.
Crean, in the summer of year 9, put the hard sell on Grant Gelon and he committed! That was the second last nail in the firing coffin. Archie needs to get the RIGHT commit. Don't settle Archie. We believe in you. Has Crean moved to Florida yet?

Well, I said I'd rather have a bunch of 4 stars than one-and-dones. I also said I wouldn't turn them away.

Please show me where people are saying what you claimed "literally every day."
You might want to share that strategy with Cal and Coach K since you know so much more than those two HOF coaches. As a matter of fact you might want to share that with every college coach in the nation as they'd all disagree with you.

You might want to share that strategy with Cal and Coach K since you know so much more than those two HOF coaches. As a matter of fact you might want to share that with every college coach in the nation as they'd all disagree with you.

Only 2 schools have won a title in the last 12 years with a one-and-done, Elmer.

Only 2 schools have won a title in the last 12 years with a one-and-done, Elmer.

Schools with the most one and dones since 2006.

1. Kentucky
2. Duke
3. Kansas

Power 6 schools with the highest winning percentage since 2006.

You guessed it.....

We either want to be regularly successful like these schools, or we don't.

The 2/12 argument is statistically ignorant because all it does is show that teams with a one and done(s) in a given year, have a far higher likelihood of winning a title than their counter parts without them.

We aren't getting a 5 star recruit anytime soon so i wouldn't worry about it.

100% we are not getting garland. 98% not getting Romeo. Other than brooks what other 5 star talent do even remotely have a shot at?

It sucks when u have to look up to Purdue.

The thing about Munson was that it is hard to recruit to Minnesota. I think sometimes the problem that mid major coaches has is that they jump at the first chance to coach at a power 5 conference team. They need to look at the program and see if they can actually win at that program before jumping to a power 5 conference.

Monson came from Gonzaga... Jesuit School in the metropolis and bball hotbed of Spokane, WA. Recruiting to a B10 program in Minneapolis, MN wouldn't be a lot harder.

100% we are not getting garland. 98% not getting Romeo. Other than brooks what other 5 star talent do even remotely have a shot at?

You are so wrong. Especially when you say we have a better chance with romeo than Garland.

You are so wrong. Especially when you say we have a better chance with romeo than Garland.

I didn't say we had a better chance with Romeo over garland. I said I'm 100% sure he is not coming to IU. I want garland more than anyone but it isn't going to happen. I've watched at least 3 interviews were he doesn't even mention IU. His dad didn't jive with Archie either. That was mentioned on the other forum. I will come back here and apologize if I'm wrong.

Monson came from Gonzaga... Jesuit School in the metropolis and bball hotbed of Spokane, WA. Recruiting to a B10 program in Minneapolis, MN wouldn't be a lot harder.
Recruiting to Minnesota would be much easier than to Gonzaga.

I didn't say we had a better chance with Romeo over garland. I said I'm 100% sure he is not coming to IU. I want garland more than anyone but it isn't going to happen. I've watched at least 3 interviews were he doesn't even mention IU. His dad didn't jive with Archie either. That was mentioned on the other forum. I will come back here and apologize if I'm wrong.
And you said you are 98% sure Romeo isnt coming. To me that means we have a 2% chance with romeo and 0% with Garland according to you. So yes you said we have a better chance with Romeo

How do you know we have no shot with Garland and virtually none with Romeo?

Watford is a 5 star and LOVES Indiana.

Also, how are we "looking up to Purdue", Billy Bob? Are they getting a bunch of 5 stars I haven't heard about?

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
if these guys wait until spring and archie has a great season, we might have a shot.

Why are we going to have a great season? Terrific scoring potential? Depth in the post? Clutch shooting? Great point play? Lock down defense?

And you said you are 98% sure Romeo isnt coming. To me that means we have a 2% chance with romeo and 0% with Garland according to you. So yes you said we have a better chance with Romeo

Just let it go bsmitty08... you already proved your point regarding his post... good catch....

Why are we going to have a great season? Terrific scoring potential? Depth in the post? Clutch shooting? Great point play? Lock down defense?

It's an interesting cast of characters next season to be sure.

Not a whole lot of NBA talent at a glance. But a whole lot of experience and athleticism from what I can see.

Why write them off already? I think these guys surprise us and finish in the top half of the conference.

I agree that there's a good chance we don't land Garland or Langford.

But you seem to have a vested interest in us not doing as much. Why be so condescending if you truly are an IU fan?

It's an interesting cast of characters next season to be sure.

Not a whole lot of NBA talent at a glance. But a whole lot of experience and athleticism from what I can see.

Why write them off already? I think these guys surprise us and finish in the top half of the conference.

I agree that there's a good chance we don't land Garland or Langford.

But you seem to have a vested interest in us not doing as much. Why be so condescending if you truly are an IU fan?

I fully expect Archie to achieve better results next year with a far less talented roster. We see good coaches do it time and again, and I think Archie is good coach. But, I think our goals and expectations are higher than good results: we want to be, and are paying for a coach to be, elite. To get there will take recruiting wins and landing premier talent. That's the piece I think is unproven, so naturally I hope CAM knocks it out of the park.

Archie's teams are known for awesome defense and we've got the players to do it.

It is certainly a stated focus for him and I suspect that was a contributing factor in JBJs decision. He has some kids that may do very well but it will be a shift for them. I worry about our bigs being foul prone but a guy like Green may be very good. green's foot skills were poor defensively which is very fixable, but he has very quick hands...which cannot be taught.

Show me a source that Wooden actually said that. That's more like a coach Cal quote right there!

Show me a source that Wooden actually said that. That's more like a coach Cal quote right there!
Wooden always had experience because everyone back then stayed through their senior year. Also freshmen was not allowed to play so he never really had inexperience players playing.

Wooden always had experience because everyone back then stayed through their senior year. Also freshmen was not allowed to play so he never really had inexperience players playing.
When was freshmen allowed to plays?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT