ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be CAM's first five star?

they'll be TC's if there a disappointment, and CAMs if they're good,of course!

And to the first question: I don't care who it is as long as we regularly get 5 stars!

While 5 stars are great, I'd be thrilled getting a steady stream of 4 stars as they are more likely to stay 3 to 4 years........and that's what wins Titles.

IIRC, of the past 12 champions, only 2 teams had a one-and-done on it.

they'll be TC's if there a disappointment, and CAMs if they're good,of course!

And to the first question: I don't care who it is as long as we regularly get 5 stars!

After seeing what he is being paid he needs to recruit at a high level. As Crean was he is now a top ten paid coach and that comes with big expectations.

Reactions: IUFAN80
While 5 stars are great, I'd be thrilled getting a steady stream of 4 stars as they are more likely to stay 3 to 4 years........and that's what wins Titles.

I don't care if they are five stars just as long as they are 6'10 to 7'1

What I really want is a steady diet of 4 star student athletes. I want to be the anti-Calipari.

Hopefully Silver follows up on lowering the age minimum.

It would cut into the # of one and done's each year, and internet posters might stop lambasting players that make the decision to leave after one year.

Just because only 2 teams had one and dones doesn't mean more teams didn't have 5 stars. Duke and UNC in particular are known for getting McDonalds All Americans who stay 2-3 years.

Coach K is one of the best coaches all time. He gets as many 5 star recruits as he possibly can each class. He has the choice of 1) getting the best talent you can and if they leave, replace them or 2) Build a team of 4 year player 3-4 star players. He chooses talent every single class. Do you need any more proof?

"I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and little talent" - John Wooden

Reactions: birdforpar
Hopefully Silver follows up on lowering the age minimum.

It would cut into the # of one and done's each year, and internet posters might stop lambasting players that make the decision to leave after one year.
Or other programs/fans could stop making excuses and focus on building a program and hiring a coach who appeals to the top players. It's each school's responsibility to build a program that provides maximum value to these kids. It's always far more productive to raise your own bar rather than trying to lower the bar of your competition.

Reactions: birdforpar
Or other programs/fans could stop making excuses and focus on building a program and hiring a coach who appeals to the top players. It's each school's responsibility to build a program that provides maximum value to these kids. It's always far more productive to raise your own bar rather than trying to lower the bar of your competition.

Who's lowering what bar?

I want the age limit lowered because the one year rule is a ridiculous hoop to make players jump through if they decide they don't want to.

Not because I think it will somehow benefit IUBB competitively.

These guys were hamburger boys and that went well. Let's think big and get multiple 5*
19424146_10211350107461496_2834141438580367968_n.jpg

Reactions: hoosierstateII
I say they're 50 percent Archie's recruits because they could have moved on and he convinced them to stay.

100% CAM's recruits at this point. Except now they're something more than just recruits - stepping on Campus makes them Players.

All hail.

100% CAM's recruits at this point. Except now they're something more than just recruits - stepping on Campus makes them Players.

All hail.
True they're players now but I have to give Crean credit for recruiting them and getting them to commit initially and Archie gets credit for keeping them committed so I can't give 100% of the credit to Archie or Crean. This first class is a split responsibility and the next class will be all Archie. Coaching all these players is all on Archie now.

I really think Romeo will strongly consider IU now. UK might not have multiple players leave after this season. UK class is highly ranked as always but not loaded with a superstar. I'm looking at UofL roster and it's not loaded with any first rounders and plus they have two shooting guards already in 2018 class. DUKE is an option but it's who stays and goes. I like CAM having the pitch that Langford could put IU back in the national spot light and compete for an NCAA title.

Technically, didn't 2 of the 3 Freshmen decommit. Then technically recommit for Coach Archie Miller? CAM had to re-recruit them on how they would fit into his style of play and system. I am very excited for the future of IU Basketball

Last edited:
I am excited to watch an IU Team that plays tough, hard nosed, Team Defense, and value the basketball on offense with very few turnovers. Those two things alone will win you games.

Not all 5 stars are one and done type kids.

Its been proven...over and over and over again...that you need 5 star kids on your roster to win an NCAA title. The ceiling if you don't have them is Wisconsin. Though I think Dekker may have been 5 star? So even that example isn't valid. Gonzaga also comes to mind...but it took Nigel Williams Goss coming to town to push them over the Final Four threshold.

I'd love to get to either of those programs level of consistency within the B10 conference. But we all know that none of us will be happy long term without Final Fours, and Natty contending teams every now and then. And for that, 5 stars are necessary.

The alternative is very Purdue-ish...

Reactions: fpeaugh

Its been proven...over and over and over again...that you need 5 star kids on your roster to win an NCAA title. The ceiling if you don't have them is Wisconsin. Though I think Dekker may have been 5 star? So even that example isn't valid. Gonzaga also comes to mind...but it took Nigel Williams Goss coming to town to push them over the Final Four threshold.

I'd love to get to either of those programs level of consistency within the B10 conference. But we all know that none of us will be happy long term without Final Fours, and Natty contending teams every now and then. And for that, 5 stars are necessary.

Has that been proven? Has every champion in the last 15 years had at least one 5 star? I don't know and that's why I'm asking.

I do think Romeo could put IU in a really good position but it would be sort term. It would close the gap on not getting the best from in state.

And Zac Collins

I'm not saying turn down all 5 Stars....even the one and done's.

But the poster made it sound like that's all he wanted.

btw......how many 5 Star's did Butler have when they made the Final Four....twice?

If I could like this 1000x I would. It's time we end this ridiculous debate. It makes our fanbase look bad in all honestly.

Every single program...every single one...wants 5 star recruits. There isn't a program out there that says "we could get that 5 star all American but instead we're going to target these 3 and 4 stars." Zero. Not one. It's an absurd thought. The reason programs that don't land 5 stars recruit only 3 and 4 stars is they can't land the big time recruits. They don't choose that. This idea that we should choose a player ranked 60th over one ranked 6th is absolutely asinine.

If I could like this 1000x I would. It's time we end this ridiculous debate. It makes our fanbase look bad in all honestly.

Every single program...every single one...wants 5 star recruits. There isn't a program out there that says "we could get that 5 star all American but instead we're going to target these 3 and 4 stars." Zero. Not one. It's an absurd thought. The reason programs that don't land 5 stars recruit only 3 and 4 stars is they can't land the big time recruits. They don't choose that. This idea that we should choose a player ranked 60th over one ranked 6th is absolutely asinine.

What "ridiculous debate"? I haven't seen a single person say, "No 5 stars wanted."

What "ridiculous debate"? I haven't seen a single person say, "No 5 stars wanted."
You haven't been paying attention then. Plenty of posters are saying they'd rather have good 4 year players than one and done 5 stars. It's literally every single day.

You haven't been paying attention then. Plenty of posters are saying they'd rather have good 4 year players than one and done 5 stars. It's literally every single day.

I think they're speaking on an overall basis, not an individual basis.

I've never seen someone say "I don't want "player X" because he's going to be a one and done.

Either way. They're still dumb. You get the best players you can regardless of how long they stay in school, and a good portion of those best players every year are one and done.

Recruiting, even for schools as prolific as U.K. and Duke, isn't as easy as people on this board like to make it seem.

You don't get to pick and choose the quality/type of recruit you want. You go after the best you can reasonably get.

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT