ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the biggest recruit Indiana missed out on in your opinion?

Are you really not aware of those practices? It wasn’t just IU, by the way.

got it. you have no such evidence.

and yes, wrongs did occur.

but we're talking one specific player here, not the history of college segregation in athletics.

you said IU didn't take Oscar because IU already had it's quota of blacks, and have evidence of such.

i'm calling total BS on you, which is why you can't produce said evidence.

that said, IU teams had as many blacks as UC's teams did in the 50s and 60.

got it. you have no such evidence.

and yes, wrongs did occur.

but we're talking one specific player here, not the history of college segregation in athletics.

you said IU didn't take Oscar because IU already had it's quota of blacks, and have evidence of such.

i'm calling total BS on you, which is why you can't produce said evidence.

that said, IU teams had as many blacks as UC's teams did in the 50s and 60.
Do some digging. If you know anyone connected to that era, you’ll have a better understanding of IU then (and Branch’s role).

Great show! Now how about addressing your mocking of IU Nation on the Rivals National Bball Board and Rupp Rafters, and then acting like you are a friend of the program on this board..... thought so...
What do you want me to do jim? Beg for your acceptance so we can sit around and talk about the glory days? I nor does anyone else know what you want exactly I owned up to you quoting me from the main board. You came running back here like Paul revere acting like I’m Benedict Arnold with the British. I owned it as a subtle jab, people bash Kentucky here all day long and I roll with the punches, same with the toothless redneck sister jokes. You can’t trigger me jim. If someone says something funny about me I’ll laugh right along with it and like their posts. Why you take this so serious is beyond me. I’ve said a million times I like Archie and think he will turn it around. I’ve mentioned the players I like. I’ve said positive things, and one troll post on the main board is your proof I’m a complete troll. Well done Perry mason, you cracked the case. You May have missed your true calling in espionage.

Although he isn’t the best player on the list, I gotta believe that Scott May is a huge miss. That one somehow was a missed layup. Anyone know the back story on what happened with him?

Kind of a different twist. If Kirk Haston doesn't go pro, out of the blue, IU most likely beats Maryland for the 6th banner. Irealize this can be said about Alan H's knee and Scott M's arm but IU did make it to the Championship game and Haston was a beast.
I think for what he turned pro for was admirable. Do I think he knew he wasn’t ready as well as most of us. As for your point on banner # 6 I agree.

Last edited:
Eric Montross was a big miss
You can blame Eric's nutso attorney Dad for that miss. His Dad even had a lot to do with Eric staying in North Carolina, after graduating, and doing play by play for a local radio station. His Dad still practices law North of Indianapolis, but is senile as hell!!

for Kentucky it’s always going to be Ralph Sampson, but for Indiana I was thinking Larry bird. I know you guys have had others that may have been a missing piece for a title. I’m curious who you consider your biggest recruiting misses.
Sean May was a biggie, won a title at UNC, Montross was a biggie, won a title at UNC, I would also would've loved to have landed Glen Robinson. Oh and Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan, lol.

Reactions: kkott
You can blame Eric's nutso attorney Dad for that miss. His Dad even had a lot to do with Eric staying in North Carolina, after graduating, and doing play by play for a local radio station. His Dad still practices law North of Indianapolis, but is senile as hell!!

Montross dad and uncle both played at Michigan. Eric grew up a Michigan fan until the day he decided to pick North Carolina. There was a lot of local and media pressure to attend IU and rightfully so, but most thought he'd end up at Michigan.

Kind of a different twist. If Kirk Haston doesn't go pro, out of the blue, IU most likely beats Maryland for the 6th banner. Irealize this can be said about Alan H's knee and Scott M's arm but IU did make it to the Championship game and Haston was a beast.

If Landon Turner doesn't have that terrible accident..

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Interesting topic. I have seen some misses but not sure we were in a good position or publicly in the final two or three for some of the guys mentioned. But here are a couple guys that jump out at me we seemed to have a real shot at.

Montross was a huge miss. I think we win one or two banners with him. IU was darn good without him through ‘93 which IU would have had a good chance with a healthy Henderson. ‘94 was a sweet sixteen year that was very solid and would have been possibly very good with Montross.

Another big miss was Sean May. Tough loss in so many ways. Dad was a former IU great, lived in Bloomington, played high school ball in Bloomington, friends with the Davis family, seemed like a lock for IU if Knight could have kept his act together, behaved properly, and remained as coach. Then he goes to UNC, dominates, and wins a title.

Other guys like Robinson and Oscar are intriguing but did they have a real interest in IU.? I assumed Big Dog was always a strong Purdue lean and Oscar was before my time as was Rick Mount. I never thought Davis had a real shot at Oden and consequently Conley. They were terrific at OSU.

Indiana high school basketball has turned out a lot of talent IU didn’t get. I have always maintained that if IU can keep top prep talent from the state year in year out, then we would have a legitimate shot most years to certainly win the Big 10 and national championship.

for Kentucky it’s always going to be Ralph Sampson, but for Indiana I was thinking Larry bird. I know you guys have had others that may have been a missing piece for a title. I’m curious who you consider your biggest recruiting misses.
And supposedly Knight told Kyle Macy at the 79 Pan Am games, he regretted not getting him.

I have no idea about the mental capacities of his Dad, but going to UNC worked out just fine for Eric, and he's very well-liked down here. UNC has a great family feel to their program and past players, and I respect and am envious of it (since we should have also, but the last decades have not allowed that). Anyway, he's moved on long ago... not bad advice.

Indiana missed out recruiting for the position of President of Indiana University from '94 - 2007...and maybe more. And to top that off IU didn't even recruit for RMK's replacement...not to mention he who must not be named and then the play faster guy. It's been tough for 2 decades. But IU may have gotten the thing right with Coach Archie Miller.

Only good thing to come out of Kentucky is bourbon...and the only good thing out of Lafayette is the Subaru Outback.
I'm partial to In Rt. 43 out of W. Lafayette

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
He regretted not offering him, which is what led to not getting him. Knight expresses similar regrets to Jerry Sichting.
As great a coach as Knight was, he wasn’t always the best judge of high school talent to recruit. Interesting dichotomy there.

As great a coach as Knight was, he wasn’t always the best judge of high school talent to recruit. Interesting dichotomy there.
I think it was a numbers game, too. IU had a plethora of good good guards then, and Knight focused on defense as much as offense.

You know that is not true, and anyone reading that thread knows you were mocking IU Nation. No one on any prior posts on the thread even mentioned IU. You ripped IU fans without provocation.. Just own it...

My God you goof. Do you not get it? No one here cares WTB made comments about IU program in a negative way. I promise you. Every person responding to WTB post here. They all at some point made the same post about UK. As adults. We all get it. At the same time as adults. We can enjoy a post and contribute. Get a life guy. You gotta be a kid. So ill hold back. All the IU fans enjoying this post and adding to it. Should should show your small mind. All besides you get it.

Montross was a huge miss. I think we win one or two banners with him. IU was darn good without him through ‘93 which IU would have had a good chance with a healthy Henderson. ‘94 was a sweet sixteen year that was very solid and would have been possibly very good with Montross.

'94 also would have been better if not for injuries to Graham (foot) and Bailey (knee), and did Evans also ruin his shoulder that year? Despite the troubles, Indiana was pretty good. They limped into that game with BC though.

Sean May and Eric Montross because they helped the evil tarheels win two championships!
I hope RMK told Montross that he beat arguably the greatest starting 5 in NCAA history, including Michael Jordan, in the Tourney with Dan Dakich, Steve Alford, and Stew Robinson. Plus, IU beat a pretty darn good UNC team in 1981 for the Title. RMK was clearly better than Dean.

Montross was bigger than anybody Duke had in 1992, and we needed him when Henderson went down in 1993. Just imagine if Montross and Alan were healthy and on the same team in 1993.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT